WHO advises people 60 or older to postpone travel due to Omicron

bajathree

16 hours ago, TeeRick said:

@Guppy99- Don't shoot the messenger. There have been many posts here discussing various aspects of the science of COVID and vaccines.  There was a very popular science-based "Light At The End Of The Tunnel" thread started by @Ken the cruiser which was highly active until a few months ago.   But then came new CC rules and clarifications.  Red Banner on top.   Their boards, their rules.  I have since seen many posts removed (including mine) and threads locked or removed.  Maybe some people as you say believe anything they read but many more do not.

TeeRick i miss your very intelligent posts. You made me think and feel more comfortable about things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

TeeRick i miss your very intelligent posts. You made me think and feel more comfortable about things.

Thanks for the kind words.  There were a lot of good discussions here for a while. Many contributed.  It was a nice place to speak to and learn from scientists and MD's who had a shared passion about cruising.  That is the difference between here and other social media where COVID discussions abound.  I think CC is missing an opportunity in understanding that there is a lot of interest on these boards about the science of COVID vaccines, anti-viral drugs, variants, etc., as it relates specifically to cruising.  No other place to get this combination for cruising.  But they have decided what they will allow and not allow.  Again their forum and their rules.   I am trying to follow them.  Glad it was a valuable discussion to some for awhile.  It got us through the dark times at least!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Oville said:

But you are a scientist right?  You have been extremely helpful throughout this whole ordeal.

Yes I am (or used to be before I retired to cruise and travel).  The pandemic has been very interesting to me but the cruising and traveling have suffered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I finally actually admitted I am a bit over 60. Shhh! My family and friends know I am still 39. 

I had to keep explaining why I had a Grandson.

39 is a wonderful year in that it keeps on giving, long lasting, and is absolutely discreet!...LOL

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for the kind words.  There were a lot of good discussions here for a while. Many contributed.  It was a nice place to speak to and learn from scientists and MD's who had a shared passion about cruising.  That is the difference between here and other social media where COVID discussions abound.  I think CC is missing an opportunity in understanding that there is a lot of interest on these boards about the science of COVID vaccines, anti-viral drugs, variants, etc., as it relates specifically to cruising.  No other place to get this combination for cruising.  But they have decided what they will allow and not allow.  Again their forum and their rules.   I am trying to follow them.  Glad it was a valuable discussion to some for awhile.  It got us through the dark times at least!

Keep on keepin' on.....within their 'boundaries'...some of us still want to hear from those with a deeper understanding.

22 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, being retired I am very risk adverse, however it is fun to take your play money and play with it too.

Yes, my real estate holdings have had my biggest returns, as well.

The virus actually has doubled my real estate  investments here where I live in CO. Crazy times.

Being a broker, you well know that one investment strategy doesn’t fit everyone.  People started laughing it up in ‘08 when I had a sizable investment in real estate.  I took my lumps, and have been paid well since by sticking with it. It’s not for the feint of heart, though.

Tie this back to Celebrity, I have come to the conclusion that overall, the offer the best mix of safety, entertainment, and fun factors for me right now.  My last cruise was with NCL back in October.  Good time, for certain.  But, I kept thinking during the cruise…”Celebrity does this better”, or “Celebrity does that better”.

I can’t even fathom what it would be like to sail Royal or Carnival with all the gyrations they put their passengers through just to allow a few unvaccinated passengers on board.

The CDC is what drives the cruises originating from U.S. ports (not the WHO).  CDC has come out and said…”if you have been totally vaccinated, you do not have to mask”.  Pretty straight forward.

Edited by graphicguy

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

The thing is you just never know if you’ll be the one who is the outlier. My daughter is 32 and otherwise healthy was very sick for 6 months with Covid. Thankfully she’s better now. 

I am sorry to hear that. Was your daughter fully vaccinated?

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I am (or used to be before I retired to cruise and travel).  The pandemic has been very interesting to me but the cruising and traveling have suffered.

You will always be a scientist, enjoy our cruises and travels.  I do miss your insight on things however.

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Being a broker, you well know that one investment strategy doesn’t fit everyone.  People started laughing it up in ‘08 when I had a sizable investment in real estate.  I took my lumps, and have been paid well since by sticking with it. It’s not for the feint of heart, though.

Tie this back to Celebrity, I have come to the conclusion that overall, the offer the best mix of safety, entertainment, and fun factors for me right now.  My last cruise was with NCL back in October.  Good time, for certain.  But, I kept thinking during the cruise…”Celebrity does this better”, or “Celebrity does that better”.

I can’t even fathom what it would be like to sail Royal or Carnival with all the gyrations they put their passengers through just to allow a few unvaccinated passengers on board.

The CDC is what drives the cruises originating from U.S. ports (not the WHO).  CDC has come out and said…”if you have been totally vaccinated, you do not have to mask”.  Pretty straight forward.

Actually they changed the recommendations concerning masking when vaccinated during the Delta wave, and changed it even more now  The recommendation now is mask when inside in public areas.

Hmmmmm…..just looked this up on the CDC Web site…..

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/face-masks-public-transportation.html

As an aside, just read this a.m. that those who have the booster shot are “well protected” from the Omicron variant.

Edited by graphicguy

On 12/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, TeeRick said:

Red Banner on top.

Exactly. I'm as guilty of putting forth opinion, etc. as anyone else. This whole pandemic is a very emotionally and politically charged issue and will continue to be. There have been some unkind comments along the way, which happens on any forum. The anonymity of the internet also fosters a sense of power and leads to discourse that probably wouldn't take place the same way in person. I agree with CC at least trying to regulate the content of posts and yet, if they don't remove specific posts that are in violation of guidelines, nothing will change. 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:04 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Funny coincidence. We booked Viking as well for December and read that they were requiring every passenger to spit into a vial 2 ml every morning at 8:30 to be tested for covid. That was the 'straw' for us. Booked Celebrity again instead.

Yes...for your protection, and everyone else's. PCR is still the gold standard for covid detection. I personally believe that Viking led the industry in their onboard protocols. Being a Viking customer, I fully support their efforts. Even in the earlier phase of the pandemic, Viking had a world cruise still out on the ocean and never once had a single case while other lines had people stuck in quarantine. 

This debate relative to the gamut of no or few restrictions (that some deem insufficient) all the way to maximum precautions (that some deem unncecessary and/or over-the-top) will just rage on and on here. I won't step on any ship that doesn't require masking and at least some sort of onboard testing, at least at the present time. My daughter and son-in-law, when visiting us from Rochester over the Thanksgiving holiday, brought along several covid tests to make sure they were ok before our family get-together. I can't see why anyone would object to a cruiseline wanting to test everyone on a daily basis. It's all about one's personal choices as to their and others' safety. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 12/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, TeeRick said:

but the cruising and traveling have suffered.

Amen to that....our last cruise was fall of '19. Have only done a few car trips since then, all within a few hours. Have not flown either. NO need to mask in the car or in a private cabin...most relaxing and enjoyable. That said, we DO plan to cruise in spring depending on how things go. Not just cruising and traveling have suffered but also general quality of life, i.e. eating in restaurants (started to do that back in June until things started to kick up with delta, and then haven't been back to one since), and just the usual feeling of being relaxed and worry-free in public settings. It's not the same now. I have a 99-year old Mom in an assisted living facility, and a 96-year old aunt who lives alone but receives outside help from an agency. I try to take extra precautions not only for myself but also on account of visiting them. ALL that said....nearly 2 years of this is really starting to get old. Just got our boosters a few days ago. So far so good, being that I got very sick with the 2nd moderna shot. If cruising in '22 feels stressful and not fully enjoyable, then I don't see the point of it.  That's it. At this point, I agree with you on trying to stick closer to the CC 'red banner' guidelines. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

20 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yes...for your protection, and everyone else's. PCR is still the gold standard for covid detection. I personally believe that Viking led the industry in their onboard protocols. Being a Viking customer, I fully support their efforts. Even in the earlier phase of the pandemic, Viking had a world cruise still out on the ocean and never once had a single case while other lines had people stuck in quarantine. 

This debate relative to the gamut of no or few restrictions (that some deem insufficient) all the way to maximum precautions (that some deem unncecessary and/or over-the-top) will just rage on and on here. I won't step on any ship that doesn't require masking and at least some sort of onboard testing, at least at the present time. My daughter and son-in-law, when visiting us from Rochester over the Thanksgiving holiday, brought along several covid tests to make sure they were ok before our family get-together. I can't see why anyone would object to a cruiseline wanting to test everyone on a daily basis. It's all about one's personal choices as to their and others' safety. 

I most certainly would object to being tested on a daily basis and on a ship that does not allow anyone being unvaccinated that would be excessive and unnecessarily invasive, imo.  So I can certainly understand everyone drawing the bar at their own level of tolerance and acting accordingly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

So I can certainly understand everyone drawing the bar at their own level of tolerance and acting accordingly.

I can understand your views. A concern is perhaps, to a lesser degree, what happens on the ship in a self-contained situation (since everyone being vaccinated surely sounds reasonably safe) compared to the far more random element which occurs as people go ashore and are exposed to...whatever....definitely unvaccinated. those infected even if non-symptomatic, etc. Much easier to bring covid back onboard. Thus, it would seem to justify the more frequent testing, and perhaps even daily if the itinerary is such that a port is visited every day. A cruise 'to nowhere' that just floats around for a few days and returns probably would require a bare minimum of testing, or even none since theoretically all vaccinated pax should be ok. Like I said, this will go around and around as long as covid is here to varying degrees. 

Edited by OnTheJourney