Royal updated pre cruise testing for UNVACCINATED CHILDREN

JuliaMS

Just got e-mail from royal for updated pre cruise testing for unvaccinated children. 

• Unvaccinated kids must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. Kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal

check royal healthy sail center for full info. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=united-states

Edited by JuliaMS

Hmmmmmmmm....and I got this:

As public health standards evolve, we're committed to sharing the latest update with you. There has been a change to our Pre-Cruise and Embark testing requirements for unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 for North America & San Juan departures on or after December 17, 2021. We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group.

Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test. This change will allow for a smoother start to our young cruisers' embarkation and sailing. 

• Like 2

Interestingly, I received something different for my upcoming December 23 cruise.

There’s been a change to our Pre-Cruise and Embark testing requirements for unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 for sailings departing 
on or after December 17, 2021

We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group. 

Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test. This change will allow for a smoother start to our young cruisers' sailing and embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll keep you informed.

10 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

My take is that they’re not REQUIRING vaccination for 2-11, but they’re making it much more difficult if they’re not.

It's the CDC that you should blame. They're the ones that insist at least one of the pre-cruise tests has to be PCR. 

• Like 1

Unless I've overlooked it, RCI has not updated the Healthy Sail area of the web site to include the PCR-only requirement (starting 12/17) for unvaccinated children. It's still showing antigen or PCR within three days of sailing (but not on day of sailing).

Edited by joepeka

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's the CDC that you should blame. They're the ones that insist at least one of the pre-cruise tests has to be PCR. 

Not “blaming” anyone.  As a RCG shareholder, they’ve reduced their cost to administer at the pier and probably increased the percent vaccinated on their cruise. As I said, not requiring vaccination, but definitely encouraging. 

Edited by Jkaczanowski

3 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Not “blaming” anyone.  As a RCG shareholder, they’ve reduced their cost to administer at the pier and probably increased the percent vaccinated on their cruise. As I said, not requiring vaccination, but definitely encouraging. 

I would  have preferred that they required 5-12 to be fully vaxed to cruise.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

As capacities expand, they're probably getting huge backlogs of people waiting for their PCR tests. Changing that to antigen speeds that up significantly.

The side effect is an implicit vaccine encouragement.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I also got the email saying PCR only for unvaxxed kids. We have a 10 year old on our Feb cruise, but he is fully vaccinated now.

image.png.5b3dc934ebb3221b325b330687c27e2d.png

The wording of this is still too confusing if you have a 5-11 year old who IS fully vaccinated. Why can't they just say Vaccinated guests 5+: PCR or antigen 2 days before sailing. Unvax children 2-11, PCR no more than 3 days.

My 8 year old is fully vaccinated. Do I need a PCR 3 days before, or an antigen 2 days before?

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This thread is about the RCCL changes, not who made them or why they were made.  These are the new rules, period.

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

The wording of this is still too confusing if you have a 5-11 year old who IS fully vaccinated. Why can't they just say Vaccinated guests 5+: PCR or antigen 2 days before sailing. Unvax children 2-11, PCR no more than 3 days.

My 8 year old is fully vaccinated. Do I need a PCR 3 days before, or an antigen 2 days before?

• Guests under the age of 12, who are considered fully vaccinated, should follow the guidance for vaccinated guests below.
  • Vaccinated guests ages 12 and over: PCR or antigen test must be taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing.

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

Here is the full email.  It is clear that vaccinated guests of any age, follow vaccinated protocols - antigen 2 days before. 

749218EB-C19C-464F-A948-CE50D368B7CB.jpeg

AE7C6C72-A82F-4DA1-BA7C-1B1F429187E0.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Well it is about who made them because people wonder why RC made them. 

I don't think anyone is wondering why.  I think everyone is applauding this move and, frankly, I think they should have followed Disney's step to require that everyone eligible is fully vaxxed.  And, I'd go a step further and require that everyone who is eligible be boosted.

We're about to see another surge and no cruise line wants to be in the headlines for an outbreak.  It would destroy them financially.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Well it is about who made them because people wonder why RC made them. 

No, this is about the rules.  Even if people wonder, no one here knows, so there is no need to speculate and it does not matter, these are the rules.  Since I have engaged in those conversations too many times(many with you), I am trying to make up for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Thursday, Friday or Saturday

So our under 5 can get tested on Thursday before we leave (fly on Friday) to cruise on Sunday...but age 8 and adults no earlier than Friday? I wish we could all get tested on Thursday...that would make it so much easier.

Edited by Ashland

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So our under 5 can get tested on Thursday before we leave (fly on Friday) to cruise on Sunday...but age 8 and adults no earlier than Friday? I wish we could all get tested on Thursday...that would make it so much easier.

The Thursday kiddo needs to get tested again... so it's a bit different.

• Thanks 1