Is anyone else excited about the QM2?

Gretchendz

Oh yes! As one who has been keeping pretty close tabs on QM2's whereabouts ever since the pause in operations, you can count me in as excited to see her back in service. Don't want to jinx things though by allowing myself to get too excited just yet about the resumption of transatlantic crossings until I see the first one actually happen. You can be sure I'll be watching QM2's departure from Southampton on the 13th from every possible webcam angle I can find!

• Like 3

We're very excited that she's sailing again.  We were supposed to be on the Nov. 21, 2021 Caribbean cruise, but it was cancelled.  We're booked on the May 15, 2022 TA-Norway-TA which replaces 2 cruises with this itinerary that were cancelled over the last 2 years.

• Like 1

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  We are boarding in just a few days, Dec. 13 and are very excited, although more than a little stressed by the new travel restrictions.  What am I looking forward to?  Definitely the Chart Room and I dearly hope they have some live music there.  Also the Commodore Club lounge, the beautiful design of that room and the views.  Being on board this beautiful ship will lift my spirits.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoveto said:

ANDES, now that was real cruising. What a ship and wonderful memories.

I'm not familiar with ANDES....could someone enlighten me?! We go pretty far back with cruise ship knowledge, but don't know that name......

Thank you so much for the above info. We now understand why we might not have heard of her, as it seems she didn't call in the US (or seldom). She looks like she was a fine liner. Interesting that she seemed to outdo Cunard in some ways! giggle! No flames, please as we love the QM2 and look forward to being onboard in Feb.

• Like 1

Of course we are happy that she re-entered service again but knew that cruising was going to resume.

Living by the entrance of New York Harbor by the Narrows, we have the pleasure to see all the cruise ships sailing in and out. And especially excited when we see the Mary sail in. But more excited around this time of year in the dark when she is all lit up and making her way under and passing the VZ Bridge.

But we are excited that many activities are returning including NY Harbor. 

• Like 1

We couldn't be more excited. Our 2020 summer crossings were cancelled as were two significant anniversary crossings in 2021. We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed in the hope that our third try this coming summer will be the charm.

• Like 1

Just had an Emergency Notice from Cunard that they will not be testing in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal; this was in reference to the Jan. 3 E’Bound crossing. Not sure about relation to me as I will already be on board from the West Indies. Anyone got any ideas?????🤨

56 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

Just had an Emergency Notice from Cunard that they will not be testing in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal; this was in reference to the Jan. 3 E’Bound crossing. Not sure about relation to me as I will already be on board from the West Indies. Anyone got any ideas?????🤨

I can offer you my idea, not a definitive answer of course.

Did you book the Jan. 3 eastbound crossing separately from the rest of the cruise? It sounds to me like Cunard thinks you will be embarking in New York on Jan. 3.

As you may already know, the CDC requires a negative Covid test of passengers embarking at US ports taken no more than two days before embarkation. Some cruise lines are providing that test at US terminals but Cunard will not be offering that service at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. I suspect the notification you received is to make sure embarking passengers are aware they must arrange for that test themselves and obtain the negative test result prior to arriving at the terminal for check-in at Brooklyn.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks Bluemarble-you are probably correct. I did book them separately BUT my excellent TA has linked them- I’ve had room bookings moved around to provide ‘quarantine rooms’. I’ve already ‘checked in’ for two of the three voyages and my PCR is scheduled in preparation for December 13. CANNOT WAIT TO BE ON MY FAVE SHIP!!!!!!😂

• Like 2

🤥 I am booked on the Jan 3rd crossing and have not received any notice about this yet.  It's going to be difficult to book a test on New Year's weekend so I'm going to have to figure out what to do if the test has to be done within two days of boarding.  I am flying to LGA on Jan. 2nd at noon.

We are really excited to be travelling QM2 on 13 December - such a lovely ship! And on reaching New York we will be spending Christmas with our children and grandchildren who we haven't seen since 2019. 

But now the change in rules for return to the UK has made us rethink our plans. We are booked to return on BA on 27 December and will have to get a PCR test on 26 December. Does anyone have suggestions for testing in the New York area on a Sunday and the day after Christmas?

1 hour ago, samarai27 said:

We are really excited to be travelling QM2 on 13 December - such a lovely ship! And on reaching New York we will be spending Christmas with our children and grandchildren who we haven't seen since 2019. 

But now the change in rules for return to the UK has made us rethink our plans. We are booked to return on BA on 27 December and will have to get a PCR test on 26 December. Does anyone have suggestions for testing in the New York area on a Sunday and the day after Christmas?

You might try this website: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

The problem with PCR tests is that they can take time to get the results unless you pay for the expensive rapid one.  I use Sameday-Health here in Maryland but they have offices in New York City. https://www.sameday-testing.com/#booking

49 minutes ago, comcox said:

You might try this website: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

The problem with PCR tests is that they can take time to get the results unless you pay for the expensive rapid one.  I use Sameday-Health here in Maryland but they have offices in New York City. https://www.sameday-testing.com/#booking

Thank you for the suggestions. Sameday testing have a branch in White Plains, not far from where we are staying and open on 26th! That takes some of the stress out of our trip and we can go back to the excitement of boarding Mary next Monday.

11 hours ago, samarai27 said:

can you do the rapid test in advance of flying home? 

We are also excited to be sailing again on QM2 next Monday 13th December.  Arriving in New York on 20th December, with disembarkation on 22nd December.  If anyone else is on this cruise, do you know if we can go ashore independently on 20th and 21st December or would that only be allowed on a Cunard excursion?

19 minutes ago, XWGs said:

do you know if we can go ashore independently on 20th and 21st

When Cunard called me to verify that we'd received the revised passage contract I had meant to ask that question. I forgot to, but I suspect the answer would be "we don't know yet". It's really up to the CDC, and since (I believe) this voyage will be the first international ship arrival (versus loop cruises originating and terminating in the states) they may be making decisions and creating policy on the fly.