New to RCI-Head spinning

tbo

2 hours ago, tbo said:

So in researching I was able to find a site with recent Daily Compasses for the Western that we are going on-very helpful in seeing show times.

Also have looked at the app and saw the menus for the MDR, it looks very good. Looks like he can get lobster one night and rack of lamb another, so that definitely works.  Not even going to worry with specialty dining until we get there, and maybe not then.

I'm really looking forward to the Solarium, it looks really nice.

Price drops? We are booked in a large balcony ocean view (sorry if I'm not saying that right), and they only had 3 when I booked, would there be a price drop? Our options were on deck 8, 10 or 14 and I chose 10198, 14 looked like it was angled so that seemed like we would be losing space.

Thanks again-you guys really have helped me so much-and thank you for being so kind 🙂

We check weekly for price drops.  We have two cruises booked and have had 5 price drops applied over the last year. Even after final payment they now issue a OBC if you find a price drop. Over 50 days on Oasis class and never felt any sailing was crowded.  Exception is day 1 of any cruise, always a PITA. As others have said be sure to skip embarkation lunch at Windjammer,  CP or the Bistro is far less crowded. If you just want a quick snack head to EL loco fresh. In the past there has always been a crew member or two selling packages walking around the Trellis Bar on embarkation day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbo said:

So in researching I was able to find a site with recent Daily Compasses for the Western that we are going on-very helpful in seeing show times.

Also have looked at the app and saw the menus for the MDR, it looks very good. Looks like he can get lobster one night and rack of lamb another, so that definitely works.  Not even going to worry with specialty dining until we get there, and maybe not then.

Price drops? We are booked in a large balcony ocean view (sorry if I'm not saying that right), and they only had 3 when I booked, would there be a price drop? Our options were on deck 8, 10 or 14 and I chose 10198, 14 looked like it was angled so that seemed like we would be losing space.

Thanks again-you guys really have helped me so much-and thank you for being so kind 🙂

Great choice on the cabin--that is what is known as a 'hump' balcony.  Even the one that looked angled will have a slightly larger balcony than ones that are not on the hump.  Deck 14 isn't great because you get a lot of noise from the pool deck above you, such as in the very early morning when the crew is hosing down the deck and dragging chairs around.   10 is great because it's only 2 decks down to get to Central Park--which will probably blow your mind, lol.  So deck 8 would also be a good choice, but 10 means just a few flights up the pool and either 2 flight or 4 to get to Central Park or the Boardwalk.   We love Oasis class and love the hump balcony rooms!   As others have said, open the app as soon as you board and book your shows, especially the Aqua Theater.  Try and get that one early in the cruise in case it gets canceled due to wind or rough seas, because then you have a shot at being able to rebook and it really is a cool thing.  Their Broadway at Seas shows are also great, and we love the ice show too.  Since this is your first time, I agree with others that the main dining room is a good option.  Boarding day I'd choose Park Cafe or hit the Solarium restaurant. Solarium is also a nice alternative to breakfast and lunch in the buffet all during the sailing.  Have a great time, I'll be sailing on Symphony in 90 days, can't wait to be back on an Oasis class ship.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tbo said:

Hubby and I have sailed with Carnival and NCL previously. Today I booked us on Symphony of the Seas and at first I was really excited about the deal we got and our room, now I'm having second thoughts.

We are 57 days out and already dining packages are sold out. We enjoy specialty dining on NCL and would like to try it on RCI, but it seems like the packages would have saved us a fair amount. Will dining packages be sold on board or is that it and we are out of luck?

Is there enough room at shows and when can/should I book those?

I'm wondering if this monster of a ship is going to be too much for us.  Any advice appreciated, thank you in advance.

Food is very subjective, but in my opinion the food in the MDR on RCI ships is excellent and blows away the food in Carnival’s MDR. I can’t speak to NCL since we have never cruised with them. I don’t think whether you do or don’t go to any speciality restaurants will have an impact on your cruise. 

As for shows, post Covid the process has changed and you can no longer book shows ahead of time. However, as others have mentioned, you should not have any issues booking shows once you board the ship. I think you will find Symphony far superior to any Carnival ship. Like before, I can’t comment on NCL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tbo said:

That sounds like a great attitude for dining.

I do not know if you’ll catch a price drop, but it may be worth watching.  Even if your category sells out, it might reappear.  Also, you can watch prices on higher categories (junior suite or suite, for instance).  You might catch a great price on the higher category and decide to upgrade.

If I had your deck choices. I’d probably have selected deck 8; I enjoy Central Park with its gardens, bars and Cafe.  Nothing wrong with deck 10 and some people like the higher deck.

• Like 1

Don't have 2nd thoughts. When you board, they will have specialty dining specials. There is nothing like an Oasis Class ship. They blow anything Carnival, NCL, or anybody else out of the water, and you picked the cream of the crop. We absolutely loved the Symphony.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tbo said:

It does seem like it's going to be quite crowded, several excursions already look sold out. While I'm no rookie to the intense planning-looking at you Disney World-this just suddenly seemed like I was biting off more than I could chew! It's just learning some newer ropes I guess.

TBO - You are speaking my language.  We, too, have sailed on Carnival and NCL, as well as vacationed to Disney.  We are going on our first RCCL cruise in June 2022.  (Originally booked for July 2020, then December 2021, and, hopefully, it will really happen in six months.). I am both nervous and excited about trying a new cruise line.  It’s a multi-generational trip and my brother was insistent that he wanted to give RCCL a try after he was disappointed in his one and only cruise on Carnival.  (His wife & children thoroughly enjoyed CCL, though.)

I have obsessed over the many cabin categories, the areas of CocoCay, the included dining options (we are not really a buffet family), and the constantly moving benefits of The Key (seriously, what is that?).

We are all going to have a great time and so are you & your family.  You will be on a cruise.  Enjoy!  CCL and NCL were new to us once, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

TBO - You are speaking my language.  We, too, have sailed on Carnival and NCL, as well as vacationed to Disney.  We are going on our first RCCL cruise in June 2022.  (Originally booked for July 2020, then December 2021, and, hopefully, it will really happen in six months.). I am both nervous and excited about trying a new cruise line.  It’s a multi-generational trip and my brother was insistent that he wanted to give RCCL a try after he was disappointed in his one and only cruise on Carnival.  (His wife & children thoroughly enjoyed CCL, though.)

I have obsessed over the many cabin categories, the areas of CocoCay, the included dining options (we are not really a buffet family), and the constantly moving benefits of The Key (seriously, what is that?).

We are all going to have a great time and so are you & your family.  You will be on a cruise.  Enjoy!  CCL and NCL were new to us once, too.

The Oasis class ship is not very buffet focused.  They have a lot of smaller interesting places to eat and try.  The specialty restaurants are interesting and have better quality food than MDR (subjective) so if you are interested I would check cruise planner and monitor the price.  The price is higher onboard but they do dynamic pricing so it could go up and down a few cycles. Enjoy your cruise.  Central Park is a nice relaxing area and the boardwalk area is fun and festive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Don't have 2nd thoughts. When you board, they will have specialty dining specials. There is nothing like an Oasis Class ship. They blow anything Carnival, NCL, or anybody else out of the water, and you picked the cream of the crop. We absolutely loved the Symphony.

While I agree with your comment about Carnival and NCL, I don’t agree with blowing anybody else out of the water.  Oasis class ships still can’t compete with luxury cruise line ships, but that might not be a fair comparison. 

11 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

The Oasis class ship is not very buffet focused.  They have a lot of smaller interesting places to eat and try.  The specialty restaurants are interesting and have better quality food than MDR (subjective) so if you are interested I would check cruise planner and monitor the price.  The price is higher onboard but they do dynamic pricing so it could go up and down a few cycles. Enjoy your cruise.  Central Park is a nice relaxing area and the boardwalk area is fun and festive.

True but...the Windjammer (the buffet) is often a favorite for dinner for some people.  It's currently not open for dinner on most (all?) ships but will hopefully be open again in the near future.  People enjoy it because you can go there any time wearing just shorts and a t-shirt, and you can get in/out quickly.  The food can be surprisingly good with many of the same options that are available that night on the MDR menu.  There's a large variety.  We find it to be a nice option if we've had a long day in port and don't want to spend the time to get ready for the MDR, or are short on time before a show.