Daniel Boulud Dinner...

Bo1953

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

AFAIK, yes.  Have heard reports from a number of different ships.  Chef's Table has been going on for some time across the fleet, I think.  This is the current version.  We were on Constellation for ours just a couple of weeks ago.

As of yesterday, we're on Equinox in July. With a lot of OBC. Might be something to look into...

On 12/5/2021 at 6:38 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

But to be honest, the food was a little too much (2 full blown entrees) and a little too rich for us 

I noticed several comments about the volume of food served. Here's the secret... you don't have to clean your plates. You don't even have to half-clean your plates. You can enjoy several bites, drink some lovely wine, and visit with other guests while awaiting the next course. I know it sounds crazy, but you will leave the table happier for the experience if you don't attempt to consume it all.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Ich weiß nicht...

Ich Sprachen keine Deutch aber Ich sprech ein bisschen Bayrisch...

Oder Schwabisch...

My Goethe instructor a looooooooong time ago was a raging Schwabian. Hated the Prussians. Hated Haute Deutsch. But truly hated Bavarians...

Ich habe Deutsch studiert vier Jahre am Uberschule dreizig Jahre vor.  Und auch eine Jahre an der Universitat.   (Hoch Deutsch.)

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, CeeeKr said:

I noticed several comments about the volume of food served. Here's the secret... you don't have to clean your plates. You don't even have to half-clean your plates. You can enjoy several bites, drink some lovely wine, and visit with other guests while awaiting the next course. I know it sounds crazy, but you will leave the table happier for the experience if you don't attempt to consume it all.

Very true.

Kind of curious about course serving sizes as well. Boulud is a French chef, and a 5 course meal would have lots of very small portions. Sounds like someone at X decided to upsize everything! 

How much time did the meal take? That should be a couple of hours, if not a little more!

14 hours ago, markeb said:

Aren’t you close enough to to actually go to Daniel, Bo? I’ve never been. Fascinating menu, which makes me wonder what they're doing on the ship!

Yes, we only live about 80 minutes from NYC...

Yet, I would prefer to try the ship menu first, then go to the restaurant.

I Am sure at the restaurant they would chuckle at the fact that a vegan desires to dine there, but hey, there are a few other gourmet establishments I can dine at too, if they say no...LOL

Did you see the menu above, post #3 by ca?

bon appetit and bon voyage

On 12/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, canderson said:

Had a marvelous dinner, and the wine pairings were all spot on, except perhaps for the dessert.  I asked for a bit more of the Jordan cabernet to go with the chocolate dessert vs. the demi-sec being offered.

The fillet, thick as it was, could be cut with a fork.  That was a theme throughout our recent cruise.  Best cuts of meat I've ever had on a cruise.

Dinner2.thumb.jpg.761c9abbb952c0d234fdb13ca6d8d59b.jpg

Never mind - just saw there are two prices, with and without wine pairing.

Would you happen to know what, if any, accommodation they could make for someone who doesn't drink alcohol?  I guess I could slide my glass to my DH but the consequences of that much wine 😜

Edited by cunn9004
Addition

7 minutes ago, cunn9004 said:

Never mind - just saw there are two prices, with and without wine pairing.

Would you happen to know what, if any, accommodation they could make for someone who doesn't drink alcohol?  I guess I could slide my glass to my DH but the consequences of that much wine 😜

If you look at the menu on the first page of the thread, the wine pairings are an additional charge. You should be able to just skip them. 

Just saw you’d found the answer!😀

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

You maybe have extra OBC you need to spend on something like we did? 😎

I think I'd rather go to the buffet under these conditions.

Next I'll be told I can't speak to the person next to me.  😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Did you see the menu above, post #3 by ca?

Yes. Interesting menu.

I suspect they can be more accommodating at Daniel than on the ship. Sauces are probably the biggest issue. I've seen mixed reviews, but 11 Madison Park is now totally vegan. With the ethnic mix in NYC, there have to be some great vegetarian/vegan restaurants! 

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yes. Interesting menu.

I suspect they can be more accommodating at Daniel than on the ship. Sauces are probably the biggest issue. I've seen mixed reviews, but 11 Madison Park is now totally vegan. With the ethnic mix in NYC, there have to be some great vegetarian/vegan restaurants! 

I used to go to EMP fairly often years ago but it's been a while. I was very surprised to see them go vegan. I have a friend who's been there twice since the change. The first time he wasn't very impressed but the second time he thought it was great. That was the fall menu. 

• Thanks 1

I just did this on Equinox in November. Started with 2 apps in the brew bar then down to Murano. Did not get a galley tour. Did not get a cookbook. It was a lot of food but like someone else said, I didn't eat all of it. I liked all the wines except for the 2nd white. That was the consensus around the table - there were 11 of us. Total time was a little over 2 hours.

40 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yes. Interesting menu.

There are a few great vegan restaurants in NYC and in Philly, too.

I did call Daniel and they will accommodate me!!!

I Am on the waitlist for NYE at 11 Madison Park... not likely to get in, though.

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am on the waitlist for NYE at 11 Madison Park... not likely to get in, though

Good luck!

We should branch out, but we love Ripert so much, and Le Bernadin still has a prix fixe menu in the dining room without having to pay for a tasting menu. It’s not a frequent treat!

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am on the waitlist for NYE at 11 Madison Park... not likely to get in, though.

Yes, good luck! I know Daniel Humm has put a lot of effort into this and he is an amazing chef. For an omnivore it's a tough sell for me. I'll wait for more feedback. BTW, he lost his place in London over this very issue. 

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Good luck!

We should branch out, but we love Ripert so much, and Le Bernadin still has a prix fixe menu in the dining room without having to pay for a tasting menu. It’s not a frequent treat!

We also love Le Bernardin. One of our favorite lunch spots in NYC. Their prix fixe lunch used to be a great value but I haven't been since Covid. 

15 hours ago, JL87 said:

Yes, good luck! I know Daniel Humm has put a lot of effort into this and he is an amazing chef. For an omnivore it's a tough sell for me. I'll wait for more feedback. BTW, he lost his place in London over this very issue. 

LOL j - a tough sell???

What is so tough about it?

You can do it, for sure... try it for a week.

41 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL j - a tough sell???

What is so tough about it?

You can do it, for sure... try it for a week.

I tried being vegetarian for a week about 20 years ago but stopped.  Maybe I should have tried it for a month. 

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I tried being vegetarian for a week about 20 years ago but stopped.  Maybe I should have tried it for a month. 

Actually, it is recommended to stick to it for at least 21 days...

It allows one to get creative with their food choices and preparation.

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, it is recommended to stick to it for at least 21 days...

It allows one to get creative with their food choices and preparation.

I got tired of spaghetti squash with red sauce and cheese sandwiches.  😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I got tired of spaghetti squash with red sauce and cheese sandwiches.  😂

Was that how you prepared for the dietary change in your pantry and fridge?

No wonder, I would be tired of them as well... LOL

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Was that how you prepared for the dietary change in your pantry and fridge?

No wonder, I would be tired of them as well... LOL

Yes it is.  I thought I explained it pretty clearly.  🙃

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bo, thanks for starting this topic! Thanks to all who contributed.  I just read through the 49 posts, learned a lot. The menu image was very helpful as were comments about quality & quantity of food. After weighing the cost, etc. I decided to go ahead and click through on the “book now” email from Celebrity re my late January cruise.

Oops! 

The only Chef’s Table time/date available for a cruise 45 days out is late afternoon, 5:30pm on embarkation day. Really? Well, all the good times must have been booked. No thanks.

Now that my appetite had been whetted, I turned to my Cruise Planner for my May 23 sailing. The only time/date available for that cruise is also late afternoon, 5:30pm on embarkation day.

Is that the only time they do the Chef’s Table? A glitch in the reservation system? What’s up?

Stan