Upgrade vs Bonus Latitude Points

NCLGirl2013

Thoughts/opinions- we are going on a cruise in a few weeks and we currently have an Oceanview cabin, I noticed the price dropped for balconies to only be around $60 more for us to upgrade to a Balcony cabin. My TA says I can upgrade now and pay the difference but I would lose the promotion of triple latitudes points I booked under. For you, would it be worth it to lose the extra 14 latitude points to get a balcony? We are yearly/ bi-yearly cruisers so the appeal of getting triple the amount of points was a good reason I booked originally. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

Thoughts/opinions- we are going on a cruise in a few weeks and we currently have an Oceanview cabin, I noticed the price dropped for balconies to only be around $60 more for us to upgrade to a Balcony cabin. My TA says I can upgrade now and pay the difference but I would lose the promotion of triple latitudes points I booked under. For you, would it be worth it to lose the extra 14 latitude points to get a balcony? We are yearly/ bi-yearly cruisers so the appeal of getting triple the amount of points was a good reason I booked originally. 

Make sure that TA checks all the benefits twice.  We went to Balcony for $52.00 on EPIC and we lost the OBC promotion, the extra specialty restaurant promotion (3 vs 2) and the points.  Was only told about losing the points and found out rest afterwards and it was the point of no return.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BennyBrun said:

Make sure that TA checks all the benefits twice.  We went to Balcony for $52.00 on EPIC and we lost the OBC promotion, the extra specialty restaurant promotion (3 vs 2) and the points.  Was only told about losing the points and found out rest afterwards and it was the point of no return.

Will do. I trust my TA pretty completely as he used to work at NCL for years before switching to become a TA and he has been very knowledgeable with our previous NCL cruises. I trust him that if he says the points is all we are losing that would be it, but I will have him double check just in case if we decide to upgrade. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

21 Points- Bronze Tier so 8 points from Silver 

Personally, I'd take the balcony.  You'll enjoy it more.  If you were on the verge of Platinum I might advise differently but you don't really gain much from Bronze to Silver.  

• Like 2

I would check the availability for your sailing.  If there seems to be a good number of balconies, I would personally keep the triple points and put in for an upgrade bid.   

Since the ships are sailing with a reduced capacity, there is probably a strong chance that you can have your cake and eat it too!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

Yup, bidding starts at $75/PP vs upgrading is just $31 PP

So then the question becomes "Are 14 bonus points worth $44 pp?"

Based on the lower capacity currently, I would take the gamble to bid and keep the points IF you are planning to cruise with NCL several more times. As mentioned, the Platinum tier is when the good benefits start.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Personally, I'd take the balcony.  You'll enjoy it more.  If you were on the verge of Platinum I might advise differently but you don't really gain much from Bronze to Silver.  

agreed. Loyalty points is something that shouldn't be considered if it comes at the expense of your enjoyment of your vacation. What rooms would you enjoy more?

• Like 1

I think this post is spot on regarding the true purpose of loyalty program which is to get you to spend more money with the company.  Yes they throw perks at you but please remember that it benefits them otherwise they would not have a loyalty program.  So you have to decide what’s worth it?  Keeping the extra money in your pocket and enjoy the ocean air or pay more and bid with the posit of not getting it but keep the points.

• Like 1

NCL ships are still sailing at reduced capacity and many staterooms remaining vacant & unsold, I would bid just the bare minimum or above at $75 or $80 p/p times 2 = and keep the triple points, as it will get you closer to Gold a lot quicker, assuming you enjoyed & like NCL's product and plan to continue sailing.  

With an upgrade to a balcony, you will have access to fresh air & outside breeze for the entire cruise, wake up to beautiful sunrise and watch the evening sunset in the comfort & privacy of your cabin, choice of beverage in hand ... up at least Deck 8 or 9, perhaps higher (could be Fwd or Aft ... longer walk to the elevators, but no worst than your oceanview.)  Your OV is almost certain to be on Deck 5 mid/forward - unlikely you're able to select one of the small # of Fwd OV on the higher deck - which is a fairly long walk (easily as much 150 to 180 steps ... we counted) to the Fwd elevators & stairs.  

We've stayed in different OV cabins on the Breakaway & Escape and they are perfectly fine (we actually had an oversized one - huge - assigned last minute, won by blind bidding) for 2 people ... there are also nice family OV on deck 5, large ones that sleep up to 5 with the bunk.  You would miss out on the full length convertible sofa bed in a balcony and more space (balcony is small, but, still ... ) 

It's your own call - if I'm not mistaken, you sail from/returnt to N.O. and the balcony would be nice to have, to sit outside & enjoy the views as the ship transit down/up the river out to sea ... not to mention you are going to be in the tropics for the week.  Given how much everything else are costing these days ... the way I see it, skip the dinner for 2 in the steakhouse and spent a little extra for a chance to "steal" a balcony upgrade with a silly bidding offer.  You might not win one, but it would be nice to score one while keeping your triple points.  

Just an extra caution, check to see if your travel/trip insurance costs will go up or need to adjust, bidding or otherwise (you should have coverage, IMHO ...)   Double, triple or quad points don't matter to us since we are P+ and not in pursuit of becoming NCL ambassadors (there're only a few dozens 3 years ago) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

NCL ships are still sailing at reduced capacity and many staterooms remaining vacant & unsold, I would bid just the bare minimum or above at $75 or $80 p/p times 2 = and keep the triple points, as it will get you closer to Gold a lot quicker, assuming you enjoyed & like NCL's product and plan to continue sailing.  

With an upgrade to a balcony, you will have access to fresh air & outside breeze for the entire cruise, wake up to beautiful sunrise and watch the evening sunset in the comfort & privacy of your cabin, choice of beverage in hand ... up at least Deck 8 or 9, perhaps higher (could be Fwd or Aft ... longer walk to the elevators, but no worst than your oceanview.)  Your OV is almost certain to be on Deck 5 mid/forward - unlikely you're able to select one of the small # of Fwd OV on the higher deck - which is a fairly long walk (easily as much 150 to 180 steps ... we counted) to the Fwd elevators & stairs.  

We've stayed in different OV cabins on the Breakaway & Escape and they are perfectly fine (we actually had an oversized one - huge - assigned last minute, won by blind bidding) for 2 people ... there are also nice family OV on deck 5, large ones that sleep up to 5 with the bunk.  You would miss out on the full length convertible sofa bed in a balcony and more space (balcony is small, but, still ... ) 

It's your own call - if I'm not mistaken, you sail from/returnt to N.O. and the balcony would be nice to have, to sit outside & enjoy the views as the ship transit down/up the river out to sea ... not to mention you are going to be in the tropics for the week.  Given how much everything else are costing these days ... the way I see it, skip the dinner for 2 in the steakhouse and spent a little extra for a chance to "steal" a balcony upgrade with a silly bidding offer.  You might not win one, but it would be nice to score one while keeping your triple points.  

Just an extra caution, check to see if your travel/trip insurance costs will go up or need to adjust, bidding or otherwise (you should have coverage, IMHO ...)   Double, triple or quad points don't matter to us since we are P+ and not in pursuit of becoming NCL ambassadors (there're only a few dozens 3 years ago) 

We have a OV on deck 9 right now. I worried about that with the bidding on a balcony of getting a crappy balcony room but we are pretty chill about room location.  We plan on always sailing NCL due to the beverage package 😅 so the triple points is a big appeal for us. Great points! 

We only have super basic trip insurance and I don't believe it would change based on increasing the amount because I insured a bit  higher than our actual paid price

27 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

We have a OV on deck 9 right now. I worried about that with the bidding on a balcony of getting a crappy balcony room but we are pretty chill about room location.  We plan on always sailing NCL due to the beverage package 😅 so the triple points is a big appeal for us. Great points! 

We only have super basic trip insurance ... 

Got it - that would be Deck 9 Fwd, nice choice and most definitely a fair long walk to the front elevators & stairs ... great to burn off a little calories, close to O'Sheehan 24/7 for grabbing a quite bite, get a drink while overlooking the atrium lobby on the *.away/+ class ships.  If seas are rough, just expect plenty of vertical motions, rocking & rolling as you are close to the bow ... and, at night, you must keep the window curtains closed to not affect bridge navigation safety since they are directly above these OV - daytime, you are fine & you can look down to the crew rest/entertainment & outdoor area plus the helicopter winch pad. 

The way the Upgrade Advantage bidding system worked pre-pandemic, depending on what you've paid/spent on that OV,  you aren't likely to get the "worst" balcony in a winning bid - you could end up anywhere, higher on Deck 11, 12, etc. - forward, mid or aft, possibly as a downside - above the Outdoors - noise from specialty dining & bars could last into the late evening, not for those that go to bed early.  Pluses & minuses, it's your call & whether to spent that extra money to bid and hold on to 3X points ... or pay the difference only & directly upgrade, if you are allowed to keep the extra points (after TA double checking with NCL.)   Good to know your trip is insured as nowadays, it's a must with all the unknown & uncertainty ahead ... plus, you will be flying, which itself is always prone to unexpected surprises.   

If you plan to continue with NCL those 14 points bring you 2 cruises closer to Platinum, meaning you’ll enjoy additional  2 cruises x 2 additional speciality dinings x 2 people . The MSRP of that is $400, but your personal value could be lower. Also you get some free laundry on those 2 cruises and some other minor perks.

The price of those points is $88 ( difference between bidding $75pp = 150 and the balcony price difference for two).

Actually if you decide to keep the points and bid, may also consider club balcony suite and/or spa balcony/spa CBS. 

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is this really a thing?  Are there rules??

This would only apply to the balcony (suites) -

You can use the balcony - but just kill the lights from the cabin reflecting out on the balcony.

Ocean view cabins would not have that problem as there is no reflective elements outside

of the ocean view window unless firing flashing strobes of light which certainly will have

the impact of a visit from the Bridge why they weren't invited to the party ! LOL !