Seeking Info on Breakaway

Dgoddess61

I am booked to sail on 12/26/21 out of NOLA, wondering if there is any info on further cases of Covid since December 5th reports?  I know they are testing passengers twice on current sailing during their cruise.  And if you are onboard how is it going?  I am only seeking information not opinions, please & thank you.

• Like 1

We are currently  on board and enjoying  a great cruise.  We were tested  Tues and  will be tested  again tomorrow midday.   Haven't  heard of anyone positive.   Only about  1800 passengers  on board. 

Biggest  crowd we have seen was in the theater for Six.  We are required  to wear  masks indoors for this cruise.  My opinion  is future cruises will not require masks.  I think CDC was showing  extreme caution due to prior cruise news.  They had us held at cruise terminal  for hours until CDC and NCL worked out conditions  for us to cruise.  There might have been  a few who decided not to cruise but a huge majority cheered  when we were cleared to board.  NCL  has given us 200 OBC each  for first and second  passenger per cabin.   

We are having a wonderful  cruise.  Hope all works  out to make you  comfortable  to enjoy  your cruise.

Don't  miss excellent  shows at Syd Norman's Pour House.  We were  able to get great seats due to less than full ship.   Staff is happy to be cruising and readily available  to take great  care of us.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

There has been a report of 3 additional cases identified in the crew yesterday bringing the total to 20. I'll link the story below but I warn you that this particular web site is very sensationalized so read critically.

"At least three additional crew members are infected with COVID-19 on the Norwegian Breakaway, according to a knowledgeable crew member on the cruise ship who wishes to remain anonymous. This crew member also informed us that there are nine crew members in isolation on the ship due to close contact with other infected crew members. The three additional infected crew members at this time include a recreational staff member, a stateroom attendant and and a musician."

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/12/articles/disease/more-covid-19-cases-on-the-norwegian-breakaway-as-the-ncl-cruise-ship-sails-to-roatan/

Edited by BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

We are currently  on board and enjoying  a great cruise.  We were tested  Tues and  will be tested  again tomorrow midday.   Haven't  heard of anyone positive.   Only about  1800 passengers  on board. 

Biggest  crowd we have seen was in the theater for Six.  We are required  to wear  masks indoors for this cruise.  My opinion  is future cruises will not require masks.  I think CDC was showing  extreme caution due to prior cruise news.  They had us held at cruise terminal  for hours until CDC and NCL worked out conditions  for us to cruise.  There might have been  a few who decided not to cruise but a huge majority cheered  when we were cleared to board.  NCL  has given us 200 OBC each  for first and second  passenger per cabin.   

We are having a wonderful  cruise.  Hope all works  out to make you  comfortable  to enjoy  your cruise.

Don't  miss excellent  shows at Syd Norman's Pour House.  We were  able to get great seats due to less than full ship.   Staff is happy to be cruising and readily available  to take great  care of us.

Thank you for answering my questions!  Can you also tell me how much of your vacation time was occupied with testing those 2 days on board. (30 minutes, 1 hour, longer?)

21 minutes ago, Dgoddess61 said:

Thank you for answering my questions!  Can you also tell me how much of your vacation time was occupied with testing those 2 days on board. (30 minutes, 1 hour, longer?)

Less than 30 minutes  for us to test.  Testing  was in the Manhattan  MDR and we were asked to come during  a half hour  time period by deck..  There were 8 stations  set up.  Quick and not too invasive  swabbing. 

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'll link the story below but I warn you that this particular web site is very sensationalized so read critically.

seems quite balanced and factual to me.

what do you feel was sensationalized?

11 hours ago, UKstages said:

I re-read the article. I do agree with you, by Jim Walker standards it's not terrible; although the headline.... ".How Many Residents of Honduras, Belize and Mexico Did the Norwegian Breakaway Infect? "  Is a bit much :).

Are you familiar with Jim Walker's site? The guy is a lawyer who defends those suing cruise lines. If you read through his web page and court cases I believe that you too may notice a pattern of sensationalism typical of the profession.

16 hours ago, UKstages said:

I have followed this website frequently in the past and usually find their reports to be fair and balanced.  I do take exception to a couple of things mentioned in this article, however.  They erroneously stated that there were more than 3200 passengers on board.  Numerous sources have confirmed that there actually were about 3200 total persons on board, including about 1800 passengers.  The article went on to decry the potential Covid spread when "thousands of passengers" travel post-cruise, when, in fact, there were fewer than 2000.  My other objection is to the report's apparent insistence that "a handful" means five or fewer.  I believe that the idiomatic expression "a handful" is relative, and that a handful of 3200 could easily be several dozen.  It's a minor point, to be sure, but the attitude of the article's author that the CDC and NCL statements were misleading because they referred to "a handful of cases" is nit-picking at the very least and a straw man argument at worst.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, ShelleyQT said:

@dggoddess61 we will be on the ship with you!  I really hope we aren't expected to wear masks!

We are on the Breakaway Dec 26th and want to know the mask policy. One of the main reasons we booked NCL was the vaccine policy and the lack of mask requirement. Based on other threads it seems that the kid's club won't be open either. This is getting very frustrating.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, ShelleyQT said:

@dggoddess61 we will be on the ship with you!  I really hope we aren't expected to wear masks!

Going without a mask in an indoor space with a bunch of other people, during a global pandemic, when there's a new variant of the virus that spreads much more easily...   regardless of your vaccination status, you might want to think that one through a little more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spaniel Lover said:

Going without a mask in an indoor space with a bunch of other people, during a global pandemic, when there's a new variant of the virus that spreads much more easily...   regardless of your vaccination status, you might want to think that one through a little more.

I've thought it through and I will not wear a mask.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaniel Lover said:

Hmmm, let me think about it. No I wont be wearing a mask. Beings all of the kids have to be vaccinated also there is no reason that kids club/splash academy is not open. 

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've thought it through and I will not wear a mask.

What HAPPENS if they require masks?

We don't have a choice. 

Oh sorry, you can cancel cruise.

Edited by Oxo

My general thought is that the worst case scenario is NOT having a positive test at departure and being left on shore. I'd be sad, and I'd drive home.  BUT - my worst case scenario is testing positive during the mid-cruise test and subsequently being locked in my room for the rest of the sailing. To reduce my risk of that, I'll wear a mask in crowded areas on the ship whether they require it or not. Not outside, not at my dinner table, but in hallways and when around a ton of people. Will it make a difference? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's a tiny little hassle to reduce risk, and it's worth it to me.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jetact said:

Hmmm, let me think about it. No I wont be wearing a mask. Beings all of the kids have to be vaccinated also there is no reason that kids club/splash academy is not open. 

Do you have kids with you? Looking for a playmate for our 8 year old girl!

1 hour ago, HoosierShipmate said:

BUT - my worst case scenario is testing positive during the mid-cruise test and subsequently being locked in my room for the rest of the sailing.  

That is currently my concern regarding cruising, except you should note that you do not have to personally test positive. You simply need to sit within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for 15 minutes (they use facial recognition software). Lots of discussion on the Halloween cruise social media page. Apparently 60 guests were close contact quarantined for 5 days even though they continued to test negative. Granted, the odds of this happening appear quite small, it still makes me hesitant.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is currently my concern regarding cruising, except you should note that you do not have to personally test positive. You simply need to sit within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for 15 minutes (they use facial recognition software). Lots of discussion on the Halloween cruise social media page. Apparently 60 guests were close contact quarantined for 5 days even though they continued to test negative. Granted, the odds of this happening appear quite small, it still makes me hesitant.

Good to know - I'll be spacing myself accordingly wherever possible LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaniel Lover said:

I've thought it through plenty.  Thanks for your concern.