Current Ship Sailing Capacity

Halo19

Cruise lines don’t reveal this info prior to sailing. However, from what others have posted is greatly varies based on cruise line, itinerary ect.  In North America it seems Carnival is sailing at the highest capacity right now.  They prob average 80-90% occupancy now.  People have posted increased pax onboard in the last few weeks. Xmas cruises should be a out max capacity now that kids under five could be fully vaccinated in time for a late December cruise.

We were on the Freedom last week and they said they had 2500 passengers, their largest number so far. (Which seemed odd for an early December cruise, I thought that was usually a slow time?) Full double occupancy is just under 3000 on the Freedom, so they were around 83%.

It wasn't noticeably any less crowded than normal to my eye though. All of Deck 1 forward of the forward elevators, and one side of Deck 2 forward of those elevators, was closed off. I assume reserved for possible Covid quarantine. But if the current CDC color status is up to date, they had no cases last week because it's still green. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

We were on the Freedom last week and they said they had 2500 passengers, their largest number so far. (Which seemed odd for an early December cruise, I thought that was usually a slow time?) Full double occupancy is just under 3000 on the Freedom, so they were around 83%.

It wasn't noticeably any less crowded than normal to my eye though. All of Deck 1 forward of the forward elevators, and one side of Deck 2 forward of those elevators, was closed off. I assume reserved for possible Covid quarantine. But if the current CDC color status is up to date, they had no cases last week because it's still green. 

They said the same thing for my Thanksgiving cruise on Freedom - it was their busiest cruise yet. So they're probably adding more capacity each week I suppose? I wonder how. Perhaps just selling more rooms each cruise. I know they do hold back some rooms in case they need to quarantine guests.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Fireworks77 said:

Cruise lines don’t reveal this info prior to sailing. However, from what others have posted is greatly varies based on cruise line, itinerary ect.  In North America it seems Carnival is sailing at the highest capacity right now.  They prob average 80-90% occupancy now.  People have posted increased pax onboard in the last few weeks. Xmas cruises should be a out max capacity now that kids under five could be fully vaccinated in time for a late December cruise.

75%

15 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

75%

what are you basing this on?  I have asked Carnival directly and they dodge the question by saying they follow "CDC regulations" for this.  And after reading through a massive PDF, as of now I think the max allowed is 90%.  So essentially it boils down to whatever Carnival is able to sell for a given itinerary up to 90%.  

26 minutes ago, pks3 said:

what are you basing this on?  I have asked Carnival directly and they dodge the question by saying they follow "CDC regulations" for this.  And after reading through a massive PDF, as of now I think the max allowed is 90%.  So essentially it boils down to whatever Carnival is able to sell for a given itinerary up to 90%.  

The crew

• Thanks 1

A group of us are going on Carnival Freedom in January.  Two of us had cabins on deck 1 forward.  We were notified today that both cabin assignments were changed to deck 1 mid ship.  Nice because we went from porthole cabins to ocean view - slightly larger cabins with picture windows.  Wonder if Carnival is holding an area for quarantine or if they are closing off sections because of lower capacity sailing and to make it easier for the crew.