How are tips distribute in the main dining room?

A couple of years ago I asked on the other website private message how the tips were broken down by RC.  This is the info I received.

Please see the breakdown for the gratuities collected below on a per day basis.

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 
Dining Room: $6.25 
Other Hotel Services: $4.70 

Total Standard Staterooms: $14.50 

Stateroom Attendant: $6.20 
Dining Room: $6.25 
Other Hotel Services: $5.05

Total for Suites: $17.50

I also asked what other hotel services included and was told "basically anyone who provides a service on the ship with the exception of officers."

On 12/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, taglovestocruise said:

If that person is a waiter or cabin steward they are required to turn the cash back into the  gratuity pool if you have removed the auto gratuity. 

Not to sure about that. I asked a cabin steward a couple years ago and she said she would get to keep the extra tip I gave her. I see no reason to not believe her. I only asked her because of all the discussions on here, otherwise it never would have occurred to me to ask.

I leave the auto-tips in place and tip extra for great service. The auto-tips take care of the good service but they have to be great to get extra. As for how the auto-tips or the cash tips are split up at the end of the cruise, frankly I don't care. I have enough problems micro-managing my own vacation let alone trying to micro-manage the cruise line too. That's up to the cruise line and it's employees.

Let's say the steward was great and I tipped him/her $10,000 at the end of the cruise (hey, this is the internet 😉). If they kept all the ten grand, great. If they split it with their assistants behind the scene, great too. If they pool it for the team, great also. Now, if they had to kick the ten grand up to the cruise line CEO, I might start caring. 

On 12/13/2021 at 10:31 AM, UNCFanatik said:

Yup… just another reason to remove auto gratuity. You can’t trust cruise lines which have been bleeding cash during pandemic shutdown to direct your auto gratuity to the proper channels and people because they already underpay staff. Auto gratuity has the potential just to be another stream of revenue for cruise lines. Think about an oasis sized ship with 4000 passengers now sailing in it. I know auto gratuity is higher for suite guests but if we just use the typical $14.50/day for 7 night cruise and multiply it by 4000, it comes to over 400k. You really trust the cruise lines to funnel all that money to a crew they already exploit?

remove auto gratuity right away. Don’t prepay gratuity because you are being charged for service nor rendered

if you feel compelled to tip then do so in cash directly to the person providing service. 

Hmmm, so you do remove the auto gratuities right away.  I'd be careful ordering room service if I were you, the crew know who are on the naughty list.  Enjoy your OJ.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, binro01 said:

How is this policy enforced? I can't see this ever being enforced other than via an honor system, and when a person was struggling for a year and a half in a poor country with no income, can you blame them for not turning in the cash for the service they themselves provided?

Because if they get caught they get fired and put off the ship at the next port.  And that may include not having a plane ticket home.