Live from the Legend!! December 19-26, 2021 with Kmom.

KmomChicago

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Glad you made it home safely! Love the kitty pic. I'm off to read your Adventure review now...

Thank you! That wasn’t live but probably better as I wrote it in MS Word and then edited before posting rather than just reckless blathering you get with this live format. Plus that’s the one with the martini class, LOL. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Thank you! He is a nearly perfect specimen with a sweet personality and only 2-3 years old so I’m not sure how we ended up with him. Normally I’m drawn to the most hopeless cases. We absolutely adore him. He’s very glad we’re here and has completely forgiven us. Our old white female chonk is happy too but definitely has more attitude about the whole thing. 

Our parrot was furious that we left him, to the point that he bit DW when we got home. It didn't help that just before we left she had cleaned his cage, which he hates. He bit the caretaker a couple of times so we had to arrange for one of our sons to feed him for the remainder of our time away.

• Haha 2

Wow everyone. I had no idea that surviving a cruise last week would end up putting my family into such a historic moment. I knew all along if the risks but it’s all starting to feel slightly surreal now as the day to day stays updates come in. 

As far as we know we are all uninfected. We feel normal.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Wow everyone. I had no idea that surviving a cruise last week would end up putting my family into such a historic moment. I knew all along if the risks but it’s all starting to feel slightly surreal now as the day to day stays updates come in. 

As far as we know we are all uninfected. We feel normal.

I figured it would be an eye opener for you.  I think we all wanted you to just enjoy your cruise so no one was mentioning it on your review.

I firmly believe the increase is due to increased capacity.  Hopefully once the holidays are in the rear view mirror things will slow down and go back to less capacity.

Hope hospice kitty is hanging in there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

I figured it would be an eye opener for you.  I think we all wanted you to just enjoy your cruise so no one was mentioning it on your review.

I firmly believe the increase is due to increased capacity.  Hopefully once the holidays are in the rear view mirror things will slow down and go back to less capacity.

Hope hospice kitty is hanging in there!

Agreed on all counts! I appreciate nobody posting anything too alarming because what would have been the point?  We traveled with another couple and they are well also. We didn’t really try all that hard to do anything special except the shots and masks. I think we were lucky to choose the date, ship and route that we did. With the exception of HMC I don’t even think anyone on our ship would have much cared if the ports (Nassau and Freeport, meh) had been canceled. I’m sure glad our awesome Playlist crew was healthy. They even did an extra Christmas show and a couple of them performed at the religious service that morning. 

This will really determine whether the lines have to officially limit capacity for the rest of the pandemic, whenever that might be. Let’s face it, the demand to fill the ships hasn’t been there since the restart until these 2 holiday weeks. It’s not like the lines were actively limiting numbers. So this is the first REAL test and it’s not great.

Fighter is holding on. He receives a lot of antibiotics and pain meds, neither of which would be good for him if we thought his best years were ahead of him. Unfortunately he needs both. I have visited him now 3 days in a row and have his coat pretty clean and fluffy (relatively speaking) and he loves that. I change the pillowcase on his cat bed every day and he likes settling down on it and watching the others from his cage where he feels safe having his own secured space. 

We really are providing him a best case scenario. We get the sense he’s very grateful simply to be warm and safe and clean and fed good soft food and also to have human friends around. Probably glad not to have to spend another winter out in the cold and wet. I wish I could be with him 24/7 but he seems satisfied just to be in a comfortable and peaceful environment. I think our shelter is like the Ritz to him. 😂😂❤️❤️🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛ 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Fighter is holding on. He receives a lot of antibiotics and pain meds, neither of which would be good for him if we thought his best years were ahead of him. Unfortunately he needs both. I have visited him now 3 days in a row and have his coat pretty clean and fluffy (relatively speaking) and he loves that. I change the pillowcase on his cat bed every day and he likes settling down on it and watching the others from his cage where he feels safe having his own secured space. 

We really are providing him a best case scenario. We get the sense he’s very grateful simply to be warm and safe and clean and fed good soft food and also to have human friends around. Probably glad not to have to spend another winter out in the cold and wet. I wish I could be with him 24/7 but he seems satisfied just to be in a comfortable and peaceful environment. I think our shelter is like the Ritz to him. 😂😂❤️❤️🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛ 

KMOM THANKS FOR THE UPDATE AND FOR CARING FOR FIGHTER!  MY DAUGHTER AND I HAVE BEEN IN TEARS WORRIED.  WE LOVE YOU FOR YOUR CARE FOR FIGHTER!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, tytanbri said:

Kmom,

Can you see if they offer Diet Mountain Dew or Diet Root Beer on the ship. We are going in March and I have read that, while those are listed on the carnival site as available, they are not really. 

I appreciate it!

I was not able to confirm this as it seems they are not sure either-they have had these both sometimes in the past but you shouldn’t rely on it if it’s important as it’s sporadic apparently. Also might be they get so little of it they run out if more than a couple guests are drinking them. The diet root beer seems more elusive than diet Mountain Dew.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

KMOM THANKS FOR THE UPDATE AND FOR CARING FOR FIGHTER!  MY DAUGHTER AND I HAVE BEEN IN TEARS WORRIED.  WE LOVE YOU FOR YOUR CARE FOR FIGHTER!!!!!!

You are very kind. My whole family gets the daily update as well. We’re all very emotionally invested in this little fella. Wait until I start telling you about Jabba, and Annie, and Hobo, and Snowball and her feral family of four more,  about Seuss and Blue Belle and Torti and her boyfriend Simba and Boris and Teddy and still others, on and on as you all know. They are all relatively healthy but at varying stages in their own saddish stories, some towards the end, some young and healthy and pending adoption. While I was away two more FIVs came in. I don’t even know their names yet.

But nobody is quite as compelling right now as this one humble, quiet little man who deserved better than what he got and better than what can be done for him now. 

I beg anyone who listens, please spay and neuter and if you are aware of outdoor strays please contact a rescue immediately for TVNR. You can prevent tremendous, unimaginable suffering with this small act of kindness. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here’s Fighter this morning. He has stomatitis and he’s been drooling and sneezing small amounts of blood and pus as long as we’ve had him. I do wash his face but he doesn’t want me on his nose so that comes and goes daily. 

His vet care since coming to us in May has three zeros behind it. His FIV has been with him long enough to apparently make mincemeat out of his immune system so he doesn’t heal quickly or fully, though he has slowly improved with us. His quality of life certainly has been discussed and he does seem a little depressed when his pain shots get a day or two past wearing off. The director of the rescue has been at this for 20 years and is good at reading their signals and feels as long as he gets antibiotics and pain meds he wants to stick around, for now anyway. Before I left for the cruise I told her not to make him suffer for me but he’s not to that point yet. 

My husband says maybe he’ll fully recover but after 8 months, it’s clear that “stable and comfortable” is the best prognosis we can hope for.

6F8D19A1-78C1-4A60-9CA2-58982924FEE5.thumb.jpeg.e3f28561e1d126f82fd491ad494ae5ac.jpeg

AE727F2D-2919-4007-8301-17E2F4E8855C.thumb.jpeg.7a5804f78ae698d4e43c43d4c614ce72.jpeg

2B71F0D0-2003-42A6-9397-BED5F71A4DA6.thumb.jpeg.bf84e27fd83818a53b5c271410cd080e.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Here’s Fighter this morning. He has stomatitis and he’s been drooling and sneezing small amounts of blood and pus as long as we’ve had him. I do wash his face but he doesn’t want me on his nose so that comes and goes daily. 

His vet care since coming to us in May has three zeros behind it. His FIV has been with him long enough to apparently make mincemeat out of his immune system so he doesn’t heal quickly or fully, though he has slowly improved with us. His quality of life certainly has been discussed and he does seem a little depressed when his pain shots get a day or two past wearing off. The director of the rescue has been at this for 20 years and is good at reading their signals and feels as long as he gets antibiotics and pain meds he wants to stick around, for now anyway. Before I left for the cruise I told her not to make him suffer for me but he’s not to that point yet. 

My husband says maybe he’ll fully recover but after 8 months, it’s clear that “stable and comfortable” is the best prognosis we can hope for.

6F8D19A1-78C1-4A60-9CA2-58982924FEE5.thumb.jpeg.e3f28561e1d126f82fd491ad494ae5ac.jpeg

AE727F2D-2919-4007-8301-17E2F4E8855C.thumb.jpeg.7a5804f78ae698d4e43c43d4c614ce72.jpeg

2B71F0D0-2003-42A6-9397-BED5F71A4DA6.thumb.jpeg.bf84e27fd83818a53b5c271410cd080e.jpeg

The discoloration that went half way up his nose toward his forehead seems to be gone, and the crusting scabs at the end of his nose seem about the same?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

The discoloration that went half way up his nose toward his forehead seems to be gone, and the crusting scabs at the end of his nose seem about the same?

The nose is not actually a scab but rather dried drippy stuff from his sneezing and congestion. Unfortunately his internal lesions won’t completely heal, hence those antibiotics constantly to prevent infection or sepsis from setting in. 

And yes otherwise the fur on his face between his nose and eyes is looking a bit better. 

He is making an effort to groom as much as possible, difficult with his mouth problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

The nose is not actually a scab but rather dried drippy stuff from his sneezing and congestion. Unfortunately his internal lesions won’t completely heal, hence those antibiotics constantly to prevent infection or sepsis from setting in. 

And yes otherwise the fur on his face between his nose and eyes is looking a bit better. 

He is making an effort to groom as much as possible, difficult with his mouth problems. 

I have a stomatitis kitty.  A terribly painful condition if not treated.  "Tater" was an abandoned kitten that we adopted as a wee little one.  He started developing symptoms at 6 months old.  He is now 13 years old.  We have to keep on top of flares, but he is a happy and very spoiled king of our household. Hang in there Fighter, everyone is pulling for you!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fighter is holding his own. I was over this afternoon giving him his sponge bath and brushing which he just loves. One of our new FIVs is a big giant sweet ginger named Harley. This rescue game is relentless but rewarding.

I can hardly believe how much the cruise situation declined after our sailing which was really quite normal. Our timing has been lucky with two great cruises during school breaks since resumption but it’s difficult to be optimistic at the moment. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 11:21 PM, SenatorsFan said:

Thank you so much @KmomChicagofor what you do for cats. 🥰🐱

I cannot agree more. Your post about Fighter brought tears to my eyes. I am a crazy lat lady with 7 rescues, so I can relate to your love and passion for cats! Loved the review AND your love for cats. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, pcrum said:

I cannot agree more. Your post about Fighter brought tears to my eyes. I am a crazy lat lady with 7 rescues, so I can relate to your love and passion for cats! Loved the review AND your love for cats. 

Fighter is still with us. I visit him nearly every day to make sure he gets some squishy food as he only takes dry if he gets really famished.

• Like 6

Hi Kmom,

As others have said thank you so much for the review. We are going on the Legend in May for my wife and I's 10,11,12 anniversary.

I have a couple of quick questions:

Do you remember what nights were formal?

Do you know if the Steakhouse gave a free bottle of wine on the first night?

With not having been to Freeport, is their much to do if you don't book an excursion?

Thank you for all the help and have great day.

Matt

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, mfrometa said:

Hi Kmom,

As others have said thank you so much for the review. We are going on the Legend in May for my wife and I's 10,11,12 anniversary.

With not having been to Freeport, is their much to do if you don't book an excursion?

Matt

Hi Matt.

Formal night is typically the 2nd night and the 6th night, i.e. 2nd to last night. 

I did not go to the Steakhouse on Legend, but on Mardi Gras we were given a free bottle of wine on the first night - had to ask for it, though, as I think they would have preferred to upsell us a bottle of something better. I believe this is the policy on all Carnival ships but would call ahead to verify. 

If you don't book an excursion in Freeport there is exactly one option. It's a little shopping area at the pier, concrete below your feet with a bit of landscaping for some sense of being in a tropical paradise. It's made up mostly of tiny house/shed structures with your requisite souvenir shops, a Senor Frog's right there in the little complex, and a few other snack shops.  Unless you are a hardcore shopper who likes to browse thoroughly at every vendor's establishment, or looking to sample a bit of local grub, you can cover the area in about 30-60 minutes.  There is no beach, pool, or lounging area (there are a few tables and chairs near the snack shacks for obvious purposes).  You have a few photo ops, the harbor sign and a big anchor toward the rear of the little development for example. 

The vendors are not overly aggressive as in some other ports, so it's a peaceful enough walk around, yet it's clear you are welcomed solely in hopes of parting with some cash.  For us, with the ship about 20 steps away, it made more sense to just get back on board after doing a quick round. Which is unfortunate as I have to wonder if these vendors are making a lot of profit on their ventures.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, mfrometa said:

Hi Kmom,

Matt

It is my understanding that the free bottle of wine is a standard to try to entice people to book the steakhouse on the first night (as I understand it we're not talking a really good bottle of wine). Kmom nailed it about Freeport, unless you want to hire a cab to take you 30 minutes to Port Lucaya. We've only been there when passing through on an excursion but they do have a more refined shopping area and restaurants. With only a few hours in port we've never really taken the time to explore. Nowadays we walk around the market area off the ship, have a local beer and DW gets her hair French braided. (Sorry to butt in Kmom🙂.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Hi Matt.

Formal night is typically the 2nd night and the 6th night, i.e. 2nd to last night. 

I did not go to the Steakhouse on Legend, but on Mardi Gras we were given a free bottle of wine on the first night - had to ask for it, though, as I think they would have preferred to upsell us a bottle of something better. I believe this is the policy on all Carnival ships but would call ahead to verify. 

If you don't book an excursion in Freeport there is exactly one option. It's a little shopping area at the pier, concrete below your feet with a bit of landscaping for some sense of being in a tropical paradise. It's made up mostly of tiny house/shed structures with your requisite souvenir shops, a Senor Frog's right there in the little complex, and a few other snack shops.  Unless you are a hardcore shopper who likes to browse thoroughly at every vendor's establishment, or looking to sample a bit of local grub, you can cover the area in about 30-60 minutes.  There is no beach, pool, or lounging area (there are a few tables and chairs near the snack shacks for obvious purposes).  You have a few photo ops, the harbor sign and a big anchor toward the rear of the little development for example. 

The vendors are not overly aggressive as in some other ports, so it's a peaceful enough walk around, yet it's clear you are welcomed solely in hopes of parting with some cash.  For us, with the ship about 20 steps away, it made more sense to just get back on board after doing a quick round. Which is unfortunate as I have to wonder if these vendors are making a lot of profit on their ventures.

Thank you for all the info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It is my understanding that the free bottle of wine is a standard to try to entice people to book the steakhouse on the first night (as I understand it we're not talking a really good bottle of wine). Kmom nailed it about Freeport, unless you want to hire a cab to take you 30 minutes to Port Lucaya. We've only been there when passing through on an excursion but they do have a more refined shopping area and restaurants. With only a few hours in port we've never really taken the time to explore. Nowadays we walk around the market area off the ship, have a local beer and DW gets her hair French braided. (Sorry to butt in Kmom🙂.)

We are thinking the same way. It kind of stinks you get into port at 7:30 and leave by 1.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:08 AM, sparks1093 said:

we're not talking a really good bottle of wine). 

(Sorry to butt in Kmom🙂.)

Supposedly it was not great wine, but we all thought the bottle of the red we got on Mardi Gras was tasty enough.  I wanted specifically to try it both because I am too cheap to upgrade and to judge if it was drinkable and the 4 adults in our party had no trouble putting it away quickly and would have been happy enough for a second glass had one been forthcoming. I think you had a choice basically of red, white, or rose and that was it. They may or may not have used some additional adjectives like a brand name or grape type, but I don't remember any of that.  Also not sure if it's always the same 3 bottles you're choosing from, or if it varies based on what the buyer got on clearance before any given cruise date, so YMMV. 

You are not butting in, you are joining the conversation to help with a sincere inquiry and that's the whole point, Sparks. Always very happy to have your input. Thanks for helping out Matt.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, mfrometa said:

We are thinking the same way. It kind of stinks you get into port at 7:30 and leave by 1.

It's too bad because the crew gets hardly any break from the guests on what they know is a mediocre itinerary. In Europe everyone gets off at Every. Daggone. Port. This gives the crew a little peace and quiet for a few hours which I am told is a needed respite from constant guest service since they get basically no days off for 7 months straight or whatever the contract length is. And right now excursions seem kinda limited and Freeport never had a ton of them anyway.

This Baltimore itinerary is hardly worth getting off the ship for many guests, especially those who have already done the Bahamas many times, and by far this was the most people I have ever seen stay aboard. Half Moon Cay is great but it's actually staffed by much of the ship crew so they just keep working right along with those taking care of guests still onboard.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Supposedly it was not great wine, but we all thought the bottle of the red we got on Mardi Gras was tasty enough.  I wanted specifically to try it both because I am too cheap to upgrade and to judge if it was drinkable and the 4 adults in our party had no trouble putting it away quickly and would have been happy enough for a second glass had one been forthcoming. I think you had a choice basically of red, white, or rose and that was it. They may or may not have used some additional adjectives like a brand name or grape type, but I don't remember any of that.  Also not sure if it's always the same 3 bottles you're choosing from, or if it varies based on what the buyer got on clearance before any given cruise date, so YMMV. 

You are not butting in, you are joining the conversation to help with a sincere inquiry and that's the whole point, Sparks. Always very happy to have your input. Thanks for helping out Matt.

I drink wine but don't get into the whole wine culture at all (hints of this or that? Nope, my palate can't distinguish that stuff.) The bottle would probably be acceptable to us as well. They also have wine pairings available for $28 where you receive half a glass of wine with each course that has been paired to what you ordered. We would probably just do that again.

• Like 1

What a nice review. Hoping to be on her at the end of the month, waiting on vacation approval from husband before I book. Love the kitties too. I moved into a 55+ area, oh boy, what an awakening. There must have been 15 TNR'd ferals just in my block alone. That was back in 2013. Most of them aged out. I was able to bring in 2 of the kittens. The 3rd of the litter moved on to a neighbor down the street.  I'm down to one outdoor feral. He's really old. I wish I could do more, but I have 5 in the house. 2 is the neighborhood policy (yeah right). It's never easy saying goodbye to a fur baby. 

• Like 1