Passport Renewal Question

JamesEM

34 minutes ago, JamesEM said:

Does anyone know the processing time for renewal of a Passport via mail at this time?

Pay for expedited processing before you mail it.  I’ve seen posters say 3 weeks and 3+ months.

We mailed ours for renewal on October 30th.  They appeared in the status check site as "In Process" as of November 3rd.  We got our passports on December 20th.  So from the start of processing, it took 6 1/2 weeks (we did NOT expedite ours).  From mailing - it was 7 1/2 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, xdxke3b said:

We sent our renewals in on December 3 with express priority.  Paid for expedited processing and return.  Received passports in mail on December 15th.  I was shocked how quickly we got them.

This would be the normal time in my country too (Denmark). When you live in a small country, you need a passport. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have one. You renew it when it runs out. Like buying milk.

Edited by ditmar2007

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Pay for expedited processing before you mail it.  I’ve seen posters say 3 weeks and 3+ months.

Why recommend that when you don't know when the OP needs it?  

OP, according to the status check for my passport (they received it 11/30), processing time is 8-11 weeks.  If it was me, and I needed the passport within 4 months, I'd pay for expedited.  More than 4 months and I'd probably take my chances.  

We don't cruise until July, so I'm not worried. 

• Like 1

Processing time will vary based on which Passport Center you're using.

For reference, we mailed ours for renewal to the National Passport Center (Philadephia) in early October for a regular renewal (i.e., did not pay for expedited service).  We had our new passports 2.5 weeks after we mailed them.  At that time, the Department of State website had processing time posted as up to 16 weeks.  Needless to say, we were very pleasantly surprised.

4 hours ago, moonltnite said:

We mailed ours for renewal on October 30th.  They appeared in the status check site as "In Process" as of November 3rd.  We got our passports on December 20th.  So from the start of processing, it took 6 1/2 weeks (we did NOT expedite ours).  From mailing - it was 7 1/2 weeks. 

Glad to hear that you received them! I was wondering a couple days ago if they had arrived. That’s a nice Christmas present.

• Like 1

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

Right now, the State Department says it's 8-11 weeks for "routine" processing and 5-7 weeks for expedited.  That's actually some good news, as it's down from what they were saying a few months ago (IIRC, up to 15 weeks for routine).  While many are seeing even faster turnaround, don't ever count on past experience to predict the future, especially when you're dealing with the government during covid and the holidays.

Personally, I always go for the expedited.  I don't mind laying out the extra cash for the faster turnaround.  I don't like being without my passport.  Call me a Nervous Nelly if you like, but $60 spread out over 10 years is fairly nominal.

I saw a recent headline that the State Department is working on a system to renew online.  That would be mighty nice!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Why recommend that when you don't know when the OP needs it?  

OP, according to the status check for my passport (they received it 11/30), processing time is 8-11 weeks.  If it was me, and I needed the passport within 4 months, I'd pay for expedited.  More than 4 months and I'd probably take my chances.  

We don't cruise until July, so I'm not worried. 

For 60 bucks and peace of mind is why.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

For 60 bucks and peace of mind is why.

$60 x how many people? And what peace of mind does it give you?  Sure, if someone is liable to take a last minute international trip, ok.  And maybe the OP is like that.  Or they have a trip planned in the next four months.  But it's also possible their next trip is in October, or they don't have a trip planned at all.  

There are times the $60 is worth it.  There's times it isn't.  I think it's irresponsible to tell someone they should spend money without knowing the situation, or at least qualifying the advice.  Sort of like someone saying "Should I get the deluxe drink package?" and folks come on and say "yes, it's totally worth it!", but don't know the drinking habits of the questioner.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

$60 x how many people? And what peace of mind does it give you?  Sure, if someone is liable to take a last minute international trip, ok.  And maybe the OP is like that.  Or they have a trip planned in the next four months.  But it's also possible their next trip is in October, or they don't have a trip planned at all.  

There are times the $60 is worth it.  There's times it isn't.  I think it's irresponsible to tell someone they should spend money without knowing the situation, or at least qualifying the advice.  Sort of like someone saying "Should I get the deluxe drink package?" and folks come on and say "yes, it's totally worth it!", but don't know the drinking habits of the questioner.  

Ok, call me irresponsible, didn’t mean to cause such irreparable harm. 🥳

• Haha 1

So, mine was 3 weeks.  However, you need to know what office you are sending it to?  For example, TX or DC.  Some places are fully open, and operating normal, where others like our nations capital is under strict rules.  So, with that being said, I went to TX since I live in Florida, and it was 3 weeks to get mine back.  So a better question is to ask based on specific location.  

As far as the extra $60.00, there is no need for it.  They don't know if you paid it or not, until the envelop is opened, and there is no guarantee on speed.  It's just bonus money for them.  As anyone actually seen any stats on this and the turn around times weekly based on the numbers received?  No, it's just them saying it will be faster.  So unless you need it fast, like you forgot, than don't give out additional fees.  

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

They don't know if you paid it or not, until the envelop is opened

That's true only if you do not follow their clear instruction to write "EXPEDITE" on the envelope. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SRF said:

This is the big factor.

Expedite and relax.  Don't expedite and come whining and expect no sympathy. 😄

I'm curious... how many people have not expedited their application, then come whining if it takes a couple of months?  

Personally, I'd be whining if I paid $240 ($60x4) to get my passports more than six months before I need them. 

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

As far as the extra $60.00, there is no need for it.  They don't know if you paid it or not, until the envelop is opened, and there is no guarantee on speed.  It's just bonus money for them.  As anyone actually seen any stats on this and the turn around times weekly based on the numbers received?  No, it's just them saying it will be faster.  So unless you need it fast, like you forgot, than don't give out additional fees.  

That is actually not correct as the PO BOX for expedited is different than non expidited.

Routine Service (If you live in any other state or Canada):

National Passport Processing Center
                Post Office Box 90155
                Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service (Additional fee applies. For any state or Canada):
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope.

National Passport Processing Center
                Post Office Box 90955
                Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

• Like 1