Did Freedom skip Bonaire today??

zpdw484

Supposed to sail to the ABC's on royal next week. From what I can gather Carnival freedom was supposed to be in Bonaire today but marine traffic shows it clearly sailing away from Bonaire at 18 knots. Anyone know what's going on? Are the ports starting to close again? 

34 minutes ago, zpdw484 said:

Supposed to sail to the ABC's on royal next week. From what I can gather Carnival freedom was supposed to be in Bonaire today but marine traffic shows it clearly sailing away from Bonaire at 18 knots. Anyone know what's going on? Are the ports starting to close again? 

Yep. On board now.  We were in Curacao yesterday and left like 4 hours late.  Not a big deal. But things seemed odd somehow last night.   Then this morning captain came on and said not happening due to some positive cases on board that they are dealing with and following protocol on.  Bonaire wouldn’t have us.   Already assuming no Aruba tomorrow either.   Rumors are swirling that we are headed back early but no official notification on anything yet of course.   Also rumor that cruise director TJ has it.  He hasn’t been seen or heard from since Sunday (we boarded Saturday).  Speculation of course who knows.   Will update any official news I hear today or tomorrow.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Yep. On board now.  We were in Curacao yesterday and left like 4 hours late.  Not a big deal. But things seemed odd somehow last night.   Then this morning captain came on and said not happening due to some positive cases on board that they are dealing with and following protocol on.  Bonaire wouldn’t have us.   Already assuming no Aruba tomorrow either.   Rumors are swirling that we are headed back early but no official notification on anything yet of course.   Also rumor that cruise director TJ has it.  He hasn’t been seen or heard from since Sunday (we boarded Saturday).  Speculation of course who knows.   Will update any official news I hear today or tomorrow.  

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your cruise even if you miss Aruba also. 

• Like 1

Just now, zpdw484 said:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your cruise even if you miss Aruba also. 

Thank you we will.  I’m pretty easy going and will make lemonade with my lemons.  And Tito’s of course. You have to expect the unexpected on a cruise these days.   Others however,  not so much.   People are pissed.  I get that no one likes being left in the dark, myself included but I think when they do make another announcement people are going to be in an uproar.   I feel bad for the crew as people take it out on them and obviously they are not making any major decisions but are the ones left to deal with angry passengers.  

• Like 6

Just now, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Thank you we will.  I’m pretty easy going and will make lemonade with my lemons.  And Tito’s of course. You have to expect the unexpected on a cruise these days.   Others however,  not so much.   People are pissed.  I get that no one likes being left in the dark, myself included but I think when they do make another announcement people are going to be in an uproar.   I feel bad for the crew as people take it out on them and obviously they are not making any major decisions but are the ones left to deal with angry passengers.  

The Odyssey of the seas was denied entry in Curacao today also. Around 50 positives. Mostly crew According to the royal board.

• Like 1

Yesterday Bonaire was added to the list of travel hot spots to avoid due to high covid rates. Maybe Bonaire did you a favor Sand_Sea.

From U.S. Dept. of State: " The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Bonaire due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in Bonaire. "

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

IIt’s official - no Aruba tomorrow either.  Supposedly looking for alternative port to stop at.   

I would be happy with that.  Never been and it beats an 8 night cruise with 1 stop.   

I guess so! 🙂

41.88 °N, 87.62 °W

Chicago, IL Weather Conditionsstar_ratehome

access_time 4:02 PM CST on December 22, 2021 (GMT -6) | Updated just now

--° | 27°
31 °F
LIKE 23°
icon

Cloudy

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Will you keep us posted?  Or start a new thread, if necessary?  Supposed to sail next week.  Leaning more and more towards cancelling. 

5 hours ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Then this morning captain came on and said not happening due to some positive cases on board that they are dealing with and following protocol on.  

Have they told you how many positives onboard freedom? 

Bummer, it seems to be a hot area to travel to right now. 

Guest BasicSailor
51 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I will be surprised if the captain came on and told how many cases there were.

7 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yesterday Bonaire was added to the list of travel hot spots to avoid due to high covid rates. Maybe Bonaire did you a favor Sand_Sea.

From U.S. Dept. of State: " The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Bonaire due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in Bonaire. "

Yes. The proximity to South America has helped make those islands hot spots off and on for the past few months.

While it is true that some people have been exposed prior to getting on a ship, others are getting exposed in ports of call. And apparently omicron has a shorter incubation period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

They have told us nothing official other than confirming there are cases on board.  Not sure if crew, guests or both.  But rumors are rampant!   We are getting $100 obc per cabin.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

They have told us nothing official other than confirming there are cases on board.  Not sure if crew, guests or both.  But rumors are rampant!   We are getting $100 obc per cabin.  

We are onboard the Freedom, haven't heard any of those rampant rumors yet. Just the Bonaire and Aruba cancellations. 

1 hour ago, Sand_Sun_Sea73 said:

Good, at least you are getting something, there goes being profitable in second half 2022

We got off Freedom Saturday, the 18th.  There are quite a few people from our cruise who have now tested positive.  More still who have symptoms but received a negative test result.  Most of these folks were not feeling ill during the cruise but immediately after.  I did notice someone mention they felt poorly the day after being at the chef’s table.  

I cruised in September and October and neither cruise resulted in the number of people reporting illness like this (a case or two from each cruise I became aware of).   I also saw a large number of people on our Freedom trip last week who blatantly ignored the masking requirements, suggestions, rules or whatever you want to call them.   T.J. sounded hoarse the last day or two of our cruise but was up and seemingly energetic trying to turn the passengers over Saturday morning.

After almost no cases last year, flu cases are on the increase this year, and it is thought it will be a bad year. Long before covid, upper respiratory illnesses were not unusual on cruise ships. Not everyone is going to test positive for covid.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

After almost no cases last year, flu cases are on the increase this year, and it is thought it will be a bad year. Long before covid, upper respiratory illnesses were not unusual on cruise ships. Not everyone is going to test positive for covid.

Very true.  And I am sure there are regular colds and other bugs going around as there always will be when large groups of people gather.  

Also, completely preventing the spread of Covid variants is impossible.  Inevitably, someone will bring it onboard despite a negative test before boarding.   But anecdotally, I am aware of over 20 positive tests from a facebook group of less than 400 people.  Some of those folks tested negative, and a few days later tested positive.  Even if no one else in the Dec 12th Freedom group tests positive, we are still talking about a sampling of cruisers that turned up 5% positive for Covid.  That is definitely more than I learned about on my earlier cruises this year.

I hope the cruisers on the current Freedom cruise stay healthier than our group and find an alternate port stop before going back to Miami.