Did Freedom skip Bonaire today??

zpdw484

20 hours ago, skrufy said:

We are onboard the Freedom, haven't heard any of those rampant rumors yet. Just the Bonaire and Aruba cancellations. 

I heard today (not from an official source),  that the day we were in Curacao they helicoptered in a replacement captain?   I’m really bad about listening or being able to hear all the announcements.  I usually catch bits and pieces unless I’m in the cabin.  But, supposedly that is why we left there so late.  

I was reading about another ship, one of the Celebrity ships.... Said they had x amount of cases, everyone just mild symptoms or asymptomatic. 

My question is, if someone is asymptomatic how does anyone know they are positive as I assume they wouldn't test, right?   Just curious as it doesn't make sense. 

On 12/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Yesterday Bonaire was added to the list of travel hot spots to avoid due to high covid rates. Maybe Bonaire did you a favor Sand_Sea.

From U.S. Dept. of State: " The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Bonaire due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in Bonaire. "

If that's the case you don't want to be in the U.S. either, because our new case rate is even worse than Bonaire's. (U.S. 494 cases per million, Bonaire 399 cases per million as of the time I'm writing this)

I love how the State Department warns you about going places that aren't even as bad as the U.S. is. Though admittedly these places do have bad numbers in their own right.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

My question is, if someone is asymptomatic how does anyone know they are positive as I assume they wouldn't test, right?   Just curious as it doesn't make sense. 

Maybe they were a close contact of someone who was symptomatic and tested positive.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, Duanerice1 said:

I was reading about another ship, one of the Celebrity ships.... Said they had x amount of cases, everyone just mild symptoms or asymptomatic. 

We just got off of Breeze on Monday after only a 4 day cruise.  We felt fine when we got off the ship, but after a 4 hour drive home we were both exhausted and went straight to bed.  Figured it was just travel fatigue.  The next day hubby and I both had a little bit of a sore throat and cough.  We both assumed it was a sinus infection.  Hubby went to the Dr on Wednesday and they tested him for Covid.  He tested positive.  I took a home test this morning and also tested positive.  So far in our FB group, there are at least 40 people who tested positive after the cruise.  Our symptoms are pretty much like a bad cold, but it did result in us spending Christmas at home by ourselves.  Fortunately I'm retired, and hubby is on vacation through the end of next week.  I recommend everyone get a booster shot before cruising and be sure to take a covid test about 3 days after getting home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Freedom made my local news last night. The news has taken up the mantle cruises arent safe, this is the 3rd ship with a outbreak with a unknown amount of positives. Reported as a unknown amount sounds like they are saying carnival is covering up. At the very least not being transparent. 

• Like 1

Lol I just saw another news bite on carnival freedom. ... even dumber. Said americans stranded when ports in mexico wouldnt allow them to dock with a picture of the ship with the port in the background. Said the ship will have to go back to San Diego. The commentator made a comment about how mexico has no covid...tongue in cheek. 

On 12/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, BlerkOne said:

Yes. The proximity to South America has helped make those islands hot spots off and on for the past few months.

While it is true that some people have been exposed prior to getting on a ship, others are getting exposed in ports of call. And apparently omicron has a shorter incubation period.

The cases were probably contracted while cruisers were in Florida airports, hotels, restaurants and conveyances.  Omicron supposedly has a short 3 day incubation period, so exposure the day before the cruise - so somehow in Florida is more likely to result in a positive than getting it in a port of call.

If anything, the locals on an island have a higher probability of catching COVID from a cruiser than vice versa.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

The cases were probably contracted while cruisers were in Florida airports, hotels, restaurants and conveyances.  Omicron supposedly has a short 3 day incubation period, so exposure the day before the cruise - so somehow in Florida is more likely to result in a positive than getting it in a port of call.

If anything, the locals on an island have a higher probability of catching COVID from a cruiser than vice versa.

I don't doubt that many cases originate in Florida. At least 3 Florida based cruise ships have had recent outbreaks.

The ABC  islands were hotspots before cruising restarted, as were others.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't doubt that many cases originate in Florida. At least 3 Florida based cruise ships have had recent outbreaks.

The ABC  islands were hotspots before cruising restarted, as were others.

I've been lurking to see how this pans out with the virus but wanted to jump in for a moment.  While it's possible that people may have caught the virus in FL, I'm sure a great many are catching it on their flights.  I keep seeing where people test positive around 4ish days after boarding and that ties in pretty well with having been on a flight to get to the cruise, where ever it may originate.  This past fall people flying to Iceland and Europe were found to have the virus after boarding ships.  Less than now since Delta isn't a virulent as Omicron is.  I'm sure that the media will start up their ridiculous comments on cruise ships being floating petri dishes...but IMNSHO, they would probably be more correct by saying that about airplanes.  I hope you all can stay as healthy as possible!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I just saw another news bite on carnival freedom. ... even dumber. Said americans stranded when ports in mexico wouldnt allow them to dock with a picture of the ship with the port in the background. Said the ship will have to go back to San Diego. The commentator made a comment about how mexico has no covid...tongue in cheek. 

When did the ABC islands move to Mexico? Lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

I wouldn't doubt some cases will be contracted in Florida as our case count has really jumped down here:

"A day after breaking a record for the most cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic in the U.S., Florida added even more cases in a single day, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Friday, the Sunshine State reported 31,758 new COVID-19 cases. It topped that on Christmas Day with a report of 32,850 added coronavirus cases.

The new record daily increases were driven by the spread of the new omicron variant through Florida".

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2021/12/25/florida-breaks-daily-covid-cases-record-for-2nd-straight-day/

I also read this about a Canadian family who tested positive after their Freedom cruise (article doesn't mention this, but JMO probably came up when tested to fly back to Canada), and was surprised at the comment about the $$$ they are paying in quarantine. Why so much?

"Canadian resident Brian Lucas, who disembarked the Carnival Freedom the same day Peterson boarded in Miami, also did not make it to a family Christmas gathering. The day after getting off the ship, he tested positive, extending the trip with his wife and 18-month-old daughter two weeks more than they had planned. The 34-year-old will end up paying an additional $3,000 to $4,000 to wait out his family’s isolation in Miami, he said".

Cruise passengers on holiday trip deal with outbreaks: ‘We’re sailing on a petri dish’ (msn.com)

(@cruzingnut notice the article trots out the "ridiculous petri dish" comment you mentioned above lol!)

• Like 1