Is There a Plan That Covers Primarily the Travel Costs?

Rick&Jeannie

After reviewing what I currently have between Medicare, A MediGap supplement and GeoBlue Trekker Choice...I *believe* I am comfortable as far as coverage on the medical side (I hope!)

What I'm interested in now is a plan that can supply travel-related costs and reimbursement in case of a need to cancel or any of the other "common" reasons to have to cancel a trip.  We primarily cruise...but would be interested in an annual plan that would cover both domestic and international as well as *maybe* CFAR (not a deal-breaker if this is not included).

So many of the plans I find try to be a "one size fits all" plan that throws in medical, evacuation and such.  Does anybody have any experience with such a plan?

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

I don’t think such a plan exists. Some people pair their annual medical with a premium credit card to get travel benefits.  

Check the terms for Chase Sapphire Reserve or American Express. Be sure to note things like annual caps and coverage for pre-existing conditions. That is about as close as you’ll come to annual cancellation coverage.

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

After reviewing what I currently have between Medicare, A MediGap supplement and GeoBlue Trekker Choice...I *believe* I am comfortable as far as coverage on the medical side (I hope!)

What I'm interested in now is a plan that can supply travel-related costs and reimbursement in case of a need to cancel or any of the other "common" reasons to have to cancel a trip.  We primarily cruise...but would be interested in an annual plan that would cover both domestic and international as well as *maybe* CFAR (not a deal-breaker if this is not included).

So many of the plans I find try to be a "one size fits all" plan that throws in medical, evacuation and such.  Does anybody have any experience with such a plan?

I agree and also have the same medical coverage above....Would taking out the cruiseline ins solve this problem as far as cruise coverage goes and then adding the offered airline ins when a booking is made?

That's a lot of policies...why can't we find something better offered. ????

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

I agree and also have the same medical coverage above....Would taking out the cruiseline ins solve this problem as far as cruise coverage goes and then adding the offered airline ins when a booking is made?

I'm trying to find an *annual* alternative to doing the cruiseline insurance every time.  There's bound to be savings to be had...at least it *seems* like there should be!

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm trying to find an *annual* alternative to doing the cruiseline insurance every time.  There's bound to be savings to be had...at least it *seems* like there should be!

I would be so interested in what you can find. Please keep me posted...Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Overkill. You are wasting your money buying so many overlapping policies.The cruise line insurance will cover cancellation and trip interruption with some trip delay and various other travel risks. In most cases, it will also offer CFAR . The airline insurance isn’t going to cover cost of air anyway because airlines issue vouchers for cancelled  non-refundable tickets. 

How is buying all this coverage any more economical than buying a good third-party comprehensive policy with high dollar limits?

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Overkill. You are wasting your money buying so many overlapping policies.The cruise line insurance will cover cancellation and trip interruption with some trip delay and various other travel risks. In most cases, it will also offer CFAR . The airline insurance isn’t going to cover cost of air anyway because airlines issue vouchers for cancelled  non-refundable tickets. 

How is buying all this coverage any more economical than buying a good third-party comprehensive policy with high dollar limits?

I agree. The entire purpose of insurance is to "share" the risk. As a consumer, you get to choose how much risk you want to share. They only policy out there that will cover any and all possible contingencies is the self-insure policy.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hi Rick&Jeannie,

There are no Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption only plans.

In 2013, I convinced a company to create one because there were so many requests for this, but in the 21 months I had the plan I only sold two.

The main reason is that nearly all the price is based on the risk of a Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption and very little is from all the other coverages. For that plan, the price was 96% of the cost of a package plan.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, Babr said:

Sorry you consider even asking this question "overkill"...but thanks for the rest of your input.

• 1 month later...

I do not know what cruise line you are on, but right before we made final payment just a few days ago, we purchased the cruise line's insurance which very reasonable and "covered" us for the trip including any issues before boarding if we needed to cancel. We typically go through the Trip Insurance Store, but this fit our needs.

We are also "Seniors" and with our Medicare Advantage Plan (which DOES cover us internationally) and the Princess insurance, we are good to go.

I think you are making it too complicated. I WISH that there was a dream answer to cover us on an annual basis. Smooth sailing to you!

• Thanks 1

Not sure if Chase Sapphire Preferred (far less expensive than Reserved) would cover what you are looking for.  It does not cover Pre-Existing Conditions, if that is a concern.     Has a $10,000.00 limit for Cancellation...

Travel card protection is worth consideration as a fall-back plan if there is something not covered by traditional comprehensive travel insurance. You’ll find that credit card insurance is more limited in that it usually does not cover pre-existing conditions and will not cover quarantine expenses or financial default. That is why they can offer it as a perk included in your annual fee. 

I would not depend on it in most cases.