Reports from Carnival Panorama

smellywax

6 hours ago, bdever said:

CDC is recommending immunocompromised get 3 primary vaccination doses followed by a 4th booster 6 months after the 3rd primary shot. I’ve had my 3 primary shots of Pfizer and got a Moderna booster last week 12/18/21 in preparation for my Panorama cruise on 12/31/21. Also packed KN95 masks. I’ll be getting on when you get off. Here’s the link to the CDC recommendation for 4 shots for immunocompromised:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html?fbclid=IwAR2LoQY42ROZnGjPxLyy2orcnQWJhwHWaHGIKvjUuRsOXRP2jPs-kJVsmNA

Hope you have a great trip! I know how you've been looking forward to this trip. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Hope you have a great trip! I know how you've been looking forward to this trip. 

Thanks love!!  I was on 9/18/21 as well and it was amazing 😻 (the calm before the post Covid storm) but this is the annual birthday cruise since birthday is 1/1. Someone posted something about keeping expectations low and it’s unfortunate that I need to do that for a NYE cruise but I’d rather not be disappointed so spending 8 glorious days on my cabana and if I’m brave at night maybe hitting the Havana bar from the inside instead of choosing to dance by myself and drink at the outside Havana bar… haven’t decided but no plans to leave Havana unless it’s to get food in MDR or to bring back to the cabana. On the 9/18 cruise I already had nixed the idea of shows in the liquid lounge and limelight lounge so that’s not an issue. I don’t wander around too much. I miss the shows and comedy but I need to take responsibility for my own health. Just sticking to Havana for 8 days and staying out of the Havana Bar during the day when it’s super spreader karaoke 🎤 time! 

• Like 1

Wow the article in PV Daily News states 100 people in quarantine with 30 infected crew and the Captain announced 5 positive passenger cases so 35 infected with close contacts isolated. I sure hope positive crew are being quarantined in LB on Friday (30+).

On a separate but related note I noticed Carnival removed the Panorama 12/31 cruise for booking on the website although the bookings for Radiance & Miracle NYE cruises are still up. There were still rooms available on Panorama too. 

Edited by bdever
Additional

We were procrastinating about canceling our Jan 8 cruise.After seeing these numbers there is no way I would feel comfortable being on the ship.Will talk to my sons tomorrow,who were also going snd get their thoughts.It is too bad as I got a fantastic deal but don’t want to take a chance.

Carnival’s President was on the announcement this morning apologizing that we had to miss Puerto Vallarta and also that we have missed out on a lot of onboard fun music etc. She brought up the fact before our sailing we were given a letter that stated there would be no compensation for missed ports. She then said they have been up on the phone with Mazatlan today and they have also denied us port entry even though there are only 5 guests testing positive. She didn’t mention that Puerto Vallarta officials reported there were about 100 crew in quarantine. She then apologized and said even though we told you there would be no compensation we are giving you $50 for missing these ports. She said they are working with Cabo San Lucas officials and trying to get them to allow us. I highly doubt that will be the case since they are the first port to deny Panorama 2 weeks ago. Anyway, just have this in mind if you are really wanting to see the ports in your itinerary. I advise you to only cruise right now if you are good with the ship only and spending time with your family etc. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

People at breakfast are using a lot of foul language…I hope this doesn’t turn into a nightmare due to passengers. We were all told this could happen and that there would be no compensation but all I am hearing are complaints and angry cussing passengers saying what Carnival “better do.” …I just wish people would be more understanding and civil and make the most out of the situation. I hope the rest of our cruise isn’t filled with loud talking people moaning and complaining.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nslatin said:

So if Panorama is denied port entry at  PV, Mazatlan and Cabo does this put Carnival in violation of the PVSA?

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

No such case or charge will be brought so I hope your comment is meant to be tongue in cheek 🙂 

Actually, if all the foreign ports are missed, then Carnival would be charged as being in violation of the PVSA, and a fine levied.  It would then be on Carnival to request an exemption from the fine due to the port authorities not allowing the ship to enter (outside Carnival's control), and they would almost assuredly get it.  In all cases like this, where foreign ports are missed (weather, mechanical, or local conditions), CBP issues the fine (gotta keep the paperwork correct), and then the line has to appeal.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, smellywax said:

People at breakfast are using a lot of foul language…I hope this doesn’t turn into a nightmare due to passengers. We were all told this could happen and that there would be no compensation but all I am hearing are complaints and angry cussing passengers saying what Carnival “better do.” …I just wish people would be more understanding and civil and make the most out of the situation. I hope the rest of ou! r cruise isn’t filled with loud talking people moaning and complaining.

As if Carnival can control what the port authorities are trying to do to keep their ports(and country) safe and healthy. Shame on those angry, cussing passengers. 

And thank you for keeping us all updated. I feel badly for you, on being an unpleasant cruise. Keep the faith! 👍

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, if all the foreign ports are missed, then Carnival would be charged as being in violation of the PVSA, and a fine levied.  It would then be on Carnival to request an exemption from the fine due to the port authorities not allowing the ship to enter (outside Carnival's control), and they would almost assuredly get it.  In all cases like this, where foreign ports are missed (weather, mechanical, or local conditions), CBP issues the fine (gotta keep the paperwork correct), and then the line has to appeal.

I actually do not believe Carnival would be in violation because the rules state they cannot transport guests between Us ports.  Since the cruise is starting and stopping in the same port without any other stops it isn’t going between ports and would not be in violation (think cruise to nowhere).

With that said the cruise did stop in Puerto Vallarta.  Nobody was allowed off but they did stop and dock in Puerto Vallarta for the day.  

I’m on this cruise as well, we were in the dining room for breakfast when Christine Duffy came on the loudspeaker. At least the passengers around us seems to be taking it in stride, I didn’t hear any negativity/rudeness but I don’t doubt there has been some. Hopefully no one is taking it out on the crew, who have been working their @$$es off trying to compensate for the others in quarantine and have been nothing short of wonderful.

Edited by frazzledrazzle16
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ArchieCruise said:

Since the cruise is starting and stopping in the same port without any other stops it isn’t going between ports and would not be in violation (think cruise to nowhere).

Now, while the PVSA has made an exemption for a cruise advertised as a "cruise to nowhere", if the ship does not call at any foreign port, it is a "domestic cruise", and therefore the ship must be US flag, regardless of whether it starts and ends at the same port.  While "cruises to nowhere" are allowed by PVSA, they require that all foreign crew have US work visas (since as a domestic voyage, they are working solely within the US).  The difference is that a "cruise to nowhere" is advertised/sold as having no ports, while this type of situation, the cruise is sold with foreign ports scheduled, so the crew do not need work visas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

Given that all of the Western MEX ports seem to be closing-off to the Carnival ships, it almost seems that the next few Western cruises really aren't viable.

Yes, now that the ports are stopping ship visits, CBP will not be able to sell these cruises, since they know there will be no foreign ports.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They could be charged, but I doubt it. Congress set a covid precedent with Alaska and Canada. The ship certainly did more than exchange an email as they did in Canada, and other ships have also been refused, as I understand it.

I'm not sure where a "private" foreign island port could be created in the Pacific, but could be a way to thwart the idiotic PVSA in the future.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm not sure where a "private" foreign island port could be created in the Pacific, but could be a way to thwart the idiotic PVSA in the future.

Unless the island was it's own nation, it wouldn't matter whether it is a "private island" or not.  It would still be subject to the laws of the parent nation, just as the "private islands" in the Caribbean are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They could be charged, but I doubt it. Congress set a covid precedent with Alaska and Canada. The ship certainly did more than exchange an email as they did in Canada, and other ships have also been refused, as I understand it.

While Congress may have set a "precedent" with Alaska this year, that is a specific law passed by Congress, and cannot be used by a government agency to alter the requirements elsewhere.  And, if CBP were to merely say, "well, that's okay, you missed all your ports due to covid" so we won't assess a fine, they would lose all chance of doing so for any circumstance in the future.  As I said, they will definitely assess the fine, but will also almost assuredly waive it upon appeal from Carnival.

• Like 2

Just now, chengkp75 said:

Unless the island was it's own nation, it wouldn't matter whether it is a "private island" or not.  It would still be subject to the laws of the parent nation, just as the "private islands" in the Caribbean are.

That is true, but the parent nation could exempt the "private island", same as Congress did for Alaska/Canada. I think the only question then would be how much it would cost the cruise lines.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, frazzledrazzle16 said:

I’m on this cruise as well, we were in the dining room for breakfast when Christine Duffy came on the loudspeaker. At least the passengers around us seems to be taking it in stride, I didn’t hear any negativity/rudeness but I don’t doubt there has been some. Hopefully no one is taking it out on the crew, who have been working their @$$es off trying to compensate for the others in quarantine and have been nothing short of wonderful.

I agree, the crew have been fantastic! We were on lido deck and then in the elevators following where 2 families were majorly complaining and mad they were missing their golf outing today after missing their zip lining yesterday and what an “effed up Christmas.” I wanted to tell them it’s effed up that being together wasn’t enough. Glad there are others on the ship that are making the most of it.

• Like 5