Why is radiance yellow with cdc?

geckoaz

There is a pandemic going on. Yellow just means covid detected, as one would expect during a pandemic. Covid cruises will be the new normal for the next few months anyway, maybe much longer potentially. This link has breakdown. It's all pretty vague but cruising with covid is just the way it will be for a while. They aren't closing schools and shutting things down so I don't see why anything would change with cruising either.    

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

I get a leery feeling some of those should be Red😶

Even if it were, many would still cruise anyway. Folks really worried about catching covid wouldn't be going on cruises, flying in planes, and traveling around hoards of humanity. The basic reality is that it doesn't really matter in the end what color codes are and aren't. They aren't going to protect you from covid, only not traveling and staying home will. Everyone pretty much knows this by now but then people feign outrage (as seen all over the boards) that cruising isn't the same as before or when some fall ill with a virus during a pandemic (complete shocker). Everyone knows the score and gets to choose accordingly and yes, some will inevitably regret their choices. I don't blame the lines for trying to exist.        

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
14 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Even if it were, many would still cruise anyway. Folks really worried about catching covid wouldn't be going on cruises, flying in planes, and traveling around hoards of humanity. The basic reality is that it doesn't really matter in the end what color codes are and aren't. They aren't going to protect you from covid, only not traveling and staying home will. Everyone pretty much knows this by now but then people feign outrage (as seen all over the boards) that cruising isn't the same as before or when some fall ill with a virus during a pandemic (complete shocker). Everyone knows the score and gets to choose accordingly and yes, some will inevitably regret their choices. I don't blame the lines for trying to exist.        

Many may cruise for sure, just not this ole Boy 😉 to me it matters. I do find it strange that Yellow has been popping left and right within the CDC, but nothing is tipping the iceberg into Red.

55 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Many may cruise for sure, just not this ole Boy 😉 to me it matters. I do find it strange that Yellow has been popping left and right within the CDC, but nothing is tipping the iceberg into Red.

Why strange. They have to meet a certain threshold for red and it has not been met. It’s not arbitrary but an actual number. Protocols are currently working.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Red would indicate to me that the situation is out of control and the cruise would terminate immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Red would indicate to me that the situation is out of control and the cruise would terminate immediately.

Go back and read the criteria for each color on your link. It is explained very well what they are looking at.  Interesting to note that apparently any person with covid-like symptoms who tests negative is counted as a case unless there is a different laboratory confirmed diagnosis. This is just wrong if true since there is very little testing for other things on a cruise ship. My husband had a recent cold and tested negative for covid, rsv, influenza A and B.  Nobody he was around got sick.

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
21 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Why strange. They have to meet a certain threshold for red and it has not been met. It’s not arbitrary but an actual number. Protocols are currently working.

Meeting a certain threshold requires accurate reporting.   Protocols is per actual number being reported.  What happens to the ones that aren't being reported? 

5 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Meeting a certain threshold requires accurate reporting.   Protocols is per actual number being reported.  What happens to the ones that aren't being reported? 

Covid is on the cruise along with everyone else. You can't report what you don't know. Assume every cruise. I highly doubt anyone that is deciding to cruise or cancel will be deciding based on some CDC color code that is purposely vague and random. I doubt you'll see any red because the CDC doesn't have to even have to follow it's own prescribed protocols if it doesn't want to. It's more like an available tool in the arsenal that they are in no hurry to cudgel the industry with it. It's all in the language:

"In addition, CDC will work closely with the cruise line and consider multiple factors before assigning a “Red” status to the ship. These factors may include, but are not limited to the following:" 

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Covid is on the cruise along with everyone else. You can't report what you don't know. Assume every cruise. I highly doubt anyone that is deciding to cruise or cancel will be deciding based on some CDC color code that is purposely vague and random. I doubt you'll see any red because the CDC doesn't have to even have to follow it's own prescribed protocols if it doesn't want to. It's more like an available tool in the arsenal that they are in no hurry to cudgel the industry with it. It's all in the language:

"In addition, CDC will work closely with the cruise line and consider multiple factors before assigning a “Red” status to the ship. These factors may include, but are not limited to the following:" 

Thank You ! 👍

Red Ship Criteria

• For a ship to be considered at Red status, the ship has:
    • sustained transmission of COVID-19 or CLI, or
    • potential for COVID-19 cases to overwhelm on board medical center resources.
  • In addition, CDC will work closely with the cruise line and consider multiple factors before assigning a “Red” status to the ship. These factors may include, but are not limited to the following:
    • Percent of passengers and crew on board who are fully vaccinated.
    • Variants of concern are identified among cases on board.
    • Epidemiologic data from EDC reporting (e.g., symptomatic persons on board requiring medical care)
    • Epidemiologic links between cases.
    • Number of hospital beds, ventilators, oxygen, and other medical supplies on board relative to the number of cases on board.
    • Ship has not replied to CDC’s request for information within 48 hours.
    • During the past 7 days, the ship missed one or more daily submissions of the EDC form. On a weekly basis, CDC emails all ships a reminder to submit the EDC form. In addition, CDC sends a reminder email if a ship does not submit their EDC form.

Guest BasicSailor
5 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Sensation isn't carrying passengers right now. Liberty is in service only due to Horizon's issues.

Thanks for that update. So that leaves one in the Green, we're in the soup now for sure😵!🤒

Just to keep things in perspective: The link that was provided above to the CDC website also lists out what the criteria for each color is. For a ship to be in the yellow, there has to be 0.10% of the passengers infected and at least one crew member. If a ship holds 3,000 guests at full capacity, that is only 3 cases plus one crew member. Point being: YES, there is COVID on the cruise ships, but when you look at the number of cases compared to how many people on board, the number is minimal.

That is not to say that there is no risk. Of course we all assume risk when we decide to cruise during a pandemic. I'm just saying that it doesn't take a whole lot to get into that yellow category.

And as a side note, as of 8:50 pm today, there are 3 Carnival ships in the green....just sayin..... 😁

• Like 1

This question can't be serious... literally on that same page of the CDC website, it clearly states what each color means. There are also several links to other pages on the CDC website that clearly state what the threshold is: 

0.10% of passengers OR 1 case in crew. 

And throwing a trigger work like 'outbreak' in there when the investigation threshold is SOO low just further makes this look like a post to start a bunch of arguing. 

1 minute ago, tm_aw_love said:

This question can't be serious... literally on that same page of the CDC website, it clearly states what each color means. There are also several links to other pages on the CDC website that clearly state what the threshold is: 

0.10% of passengers OR 1 case in crew. 

And throwing a trigger work like 'outbreak' in there when the investigation threshold is SOO low just further makes this look like a post to start a bunch of arguing. 

Enter Chicken Little.  Absolutely agree but it is not just here unfortunately. Have you read a newspaper today? Calling for the CDC to halt cruising because of “all the investigations”. 

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Enter Chicken Little.  Absolutely agree but it is not just here unfortunately. Have you read a newspaper today? Calling for the CDC to halt cruising because of “all the investigations”. 

And that comes as a surprise to you?

31 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Right, I love the news twisting these things... Prime example would be the media circus over RCCL Odyssey 'Returning to Florida with an Outbreak onboard', but oh how fast they all forgot about the idiot that boarded that very same ship with COVID symptoms a week ago and lied about it and had to be returned to FL within 24 hours of embarkation. 

I suppose it is far easier to blame the cruise lines than the idiot that intentionally exposed hundreds if not thousands of people when he lied about being symptomatic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1