Camera Observations on Cruise

bigrednole

Dave, I don't think we're going to agree about cell phone cameras, though you've shared some lovely pictures with vivid colors.  

Point-and-shoots have always been a you-get-what-you-pay-for item, but I don't think they're disappearing because of cell phone quality; rather, I think the issue is availability.  In my fairly extensive experience, at least 50% of photographers are concerned with having a picture -- but not so concerned about quality of the picture.  

I actually do agree that when people are involved multiple pictures are a good idea -- but I said the "Plan more, think more, push the button once" for high school students, who begin their journey into photography with the idea that good pictures are rather a matter of chance -- and I'm sure you disagree with that. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Point-and-shoots have always been a you-get-what-you-pay-for item, but I don't think they're disappearing because of cell phone quality; rather, I think the issue is availability.  In my fairly extensive experience, at least 50% of photographers are concerned with having a picture -- but not so concerned about quality of the picture.  

I've been shooting since 1966 (Dad's Brownie Hawkeye) at the age of 10 and obsessed with the tech and processes of my favorite hobby since then. Bought my first SLR at 15 and went digital in 2002. I've owned a string of DSLRs DSLTs and mirrorless since then. Also owned a complimentary string of competent advanced pocket cameras used as daily shooters until about mid 2014 when I picked up a Nokia 929 Icon with a rather remarkable 20MP camera. That was the last year I upgraded my compact. The current batch of compact P&S cameras are remarkable, and the better ones are mostly superior to the current batch of basic smartphones. Once you get past about $600, the phones start pulling away in image quality with the exception of zoom range. Once you get to about $800 or $900 (Pixel 6 Pro) or above (iPhone 13, Samsung S22), multiple cameras with expanded optical zoom ranges and near magical image processing match the capabilities of all but a few compacts (that also cost over $1000). Phones are harder to hold than a compact, but the compacts are notoriously bad at browsing the internet, map navigation and phone calls.

image.png.aebb45246c71d5b83c9aede1679aa0e7.png

As illustrated, discreet camera sales down 87% from 2010 to 2019 and taking a further hit during the Covid era, the problem isn't supply. Manufacturers have reduced forecasts every year since about 2008 when the first significant smartphones with cameras came out. You are right that most "picture takers" just want a picture. Smartphones did that and allowed sharing. This decimated the compact camera market almost overnight. The chart shows that the more sophisticated interchangeable lens cameras fared better since the image quality of even the best early smartphones was significantly less that DSLRs of the same era. Late in the last decade, sensor technology boosted the capability of the advanced cameras and smartphones to incredible levels. At a cost. People who needed or appreciated the quality afforded by interchangeable lens cameras shouldered the cost. The improved sensor and processor tech wasn't cheap and the cost of competing with vastly improved smartphones became prohibitive for compact camera makers. Sales forecasts and actual sales of fixed lens compacts sank like a stone, not because there weren't enough cameras, but because there wasn't demand. In 2019 15.2m cameras were sold. In the same year, 1.5b smartphones were sold and people took pictures with them. Lots and lots of them. Forecasts show that cameras are making a bit of a comeback but most recovery will be in interchangeable lens units as people introduced to photography and videography on their phones are inspired to up their game. There will be compact P&S cameras for a long time and even the basic are good and will get better. Tech works that way, The difference from 15 years ago is that interchangeable lens cameras are much more expensive since only the higher end of the species is expanding and compacts vs. smartphones are now a matter of preference rather than a desire for better quality. 

Things have changed and change will continue, but those changes make it a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

• Like 8

On 6/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I've just retired, but I taught high school photography for 19 of my 30 years.  I've taken multiple classes and consider myself a pretty decent photographer.  When we cruise in a couple months, I want photographs, but they don't need to be magazine-quality.  I'll take a mid-point position: 

- I won't take (many) pictures with my cell phone; I don't anticipate carrying my phone around the ship.  Cell phone pictures are great for sending to the kids with the caption "About to board the ship!" 

- I will bring a good-quality point-and-shoot.  It's small enough to carry in a pocket, the quality of the images is good, and it's simple enough to use that I can hand it to someone on the cruise and say, "Would you please snap a picture of the two of us?"  

- I own a nice DSL camera, but my goal on our upcoming cruise isn't to capture excellent sunrise pictures, etc.  And I don't want bother /risk transporting /storing that larger /camera with all its pieces.

If you're interested in having really good pictures but don't want to spend $$$ on a camera, study composition.  I promise you, by learning to use light /learning to frame your photographs correctly, you can get excellent pictures with a point-and-shoot.  When my students begin with me, their inclination usually is to push the button multiple times in hopes of capturing something stunning by accident; the reality is that they usually just ended up with near-identical multiples.  Something I said over and over and over:  Plan more, think more, push the button once.  

I learned in High School, in NYC. I wish I would have followed the nudging of my teachers more, but it stuck with me and I'm more involved in it than ever (IRL) even though I don't have enough time right now to create 😞 

I was taught in analog times but I think what you're saying still applies now (and I've written about before) understanding light/composition, AND, one of the photographers we work with (and VERY renowned) who juried an annual public radio show submission program stated the exact same thing recently when commenting about images in general (it's a smartphone "competition") in that sometimes just waiting a bit can bring such phenomenal results.

Waiting is obviously not always an option (not on a moving ship) or getting back to the ship or have to be anywhere, but we're not talking about waiting hours... it can simply be a matter of seconds or minutes. Breathe, look, pause... what's it for, do you want to possibly use it later for something, is it a special location you really want to memorialize, don't just look at the screen or through a lens, look around.

And I think more than anything, understand how the device works (smartphone/camera) AND the light, so you have the luxury to take a few moments when making the image, or perhaps can setup a shot in advance on devices where that's possible. 

There are great (short-ish, 10-15 minutes) videos with some shortcuts on settings you can use for your camera to optimize settings for certain conditions (if you don't have time for learning things right now) but it would still be great for anyone to do a tutorial on why understanding light and composition can significantly up your photo game, and there are many great videos for that.

It's just a matter of finding who you're comfortable listening to, and is easy to follow (they're not all equal) since I've watched some (photographer interviews, advanced topics, and things for when I got my new camera, the manual is ridiculous) and some have camera presence, speak well, personality etc. Find what works for you. People will be L♥️VE seeing your photos and always ask when you've got new ones, home or away 😉

And thanks to Mercury'sMum for helping others get into photography at an early age. I didn't even have a camera when I started and it took a long time before I could buy a proper one, but the classes were unforgettable and led me to where I am now. Hopefully you hear from students and have followed some through fun and interesting careers. 🎉🍎

Listen to teacher everyone!!

On 5/19/2022 at 9:50 AM, 2BeOnaBoat said:

I shot the Statue of Liberty with my cell phone on a cruise

I have one cell-phone shot of the Statue that I like, but it was taken in the rain, from the Norwegian Gem in October 2018. I might not post it if today weren't the Fourth.

288058420_StatueofLiberty3.thumb.jpg.f4a50235ce9bac2d6e7377ae3a067d05.jpg

I usually use the phone only for photos intended for social media, or as mentioned upthread, when the purpose is to capture information. On a recent Greek islands cruise I used it more, because something was wrong with the settings of the compact superzoom camera I was using and I couldn't correct it without referring to the instruction manual. I've been happier shooting with my Olympus DSLR and will likely take it on the next.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, pierces said:

As illustrated, discreet camera sales down 87% from 2010 to 2019 and taking a further hit during the Covid era, the problem isn't supply. ....The improved sensor and processor tech wasn't cheap and the cost of competing with vastly improved smartphones became prohibitive for compact camera makers. Sales forecasts and actual sales of fixed lens compacts sank like a stone, not because there weren't enough cameras, but because there wasn't demand. In 2019 15.2m cameras were sold. In the same year, 1.5b smartphones were sold and people took pictures with them. Lots and lots of them. Forecasts show that cameras are making a bit of a comeback but most recovery will be in interchangeable lens units as people introduced to photography and videography on their phones are inspired to up their game. There will be compact P&S cameras for a long time and even the basic are good and will get better. Tech works that way, .....

Dave

I have really enjoyed the discussion on this thread. Like some of you, I print out one great shot from each trip to put in my study. Recently, I had 6 of them printed as large metal prints and they are fantastic. Plus, I always made a collection of shots to view on my computer or TV, and I absolutely look at them regularly because it allows me to relive the memories, the friendships, the emotions of the time. I started photography over 50 years ago with the Konica T3, which I believe was the first auto-aperture SLR. Over the years, I have had Canons and Nikons, and my last is a Fujifilm T-2, and always with an assortment of lenses. I love the process of taking the photos in the first place, but now with digital photography I even enjoy the process of taking the RAW photos and bringing out what I saw and felt in person.

Having said that, with my advancing age, I am definitely considering going to a compact camera with a fixed zoom lens, if I can find one that would satisfy my quality needs. The honest fact is that it is getting more and more cumbersome to have a camera bag with an extra lens or two. I can still remember back about 25 years ago when we used to also have a little Canon Digital Elph. It was really convenient to slip it in and out of your pocket to take snapshots when it was not practical to take out the SLR.

So I sometimes wonder (and hope) that the compact fixed lens market continues to hang around for people like me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Put me firmly in the old school box with a 'Phone used for making calls and a camera for photographs

My current camera is a Nikon Coolpix B700 and it is the best travel camera I have ever owned It weighs in at around 600grammes so I can carry it in a compact padded bag and when I start shooting I can hang it around my neck and almost forget it is there. It has a viewfinder which I find indispensable for composing an image and the rear screen folds out and swivels, enabling over the head shots, selfies ( if you must or sneaky candids.

Best of all there is a 60x  zoom for wildlife and sports shots and Imade good use of this on our recent Kenyan holiday. The sensor is a bit small and the long zoom needs good light for best results but the resulting images are more than good enough for my purposes.

My wife carries a compact Canon which we often take to restaurants or around the ships or resorts when something discrete is better.

No disrespect to genuine enthusiasts or professionals but when I am on holidays my main aim is to enjoy the sights and bring home a record of the trip. I don't want to cart a heavy camera and a bag of lenses around and spend more time behind the camera than enjoying the trip.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 7:11 AM, Colin B said:

No disrespect to genuine enthusiasts or professionals but when I am on holidays my main aim is to enjoy the sights and bring home a record of the trip. I don't want to cart a heavy camera and a bag of lenses around and spend more time behind the camera than enjoying the trip.

For some of us the opportunity of shooting outside our usual locations and wanting to bring back outstanding images is  a major part of the enjoyment of the trip. In my bag I bring two bodies plus four overlapping zoom lenses, a couple of teleconverters and where possible a tripod and a few filters. Admittedly this is APS-C mirrorless, which reduces the weight somewhat, but both bodies have vertical grips and take extra batteries which then adds to the load. I don't carry everything when out and about, but at least I have a decent selection from which to choose for that day's circumstances. I also carry a little pocket sized Sony R100 III used for my work. This shoots RAW and has an optical viewfinder, so I have something with me at the restaurant, or whenever I don't want (or it's not practical) to take something bigger, plus failing everything else a decent phone which shoots RAW. I suspect I'm not the only one, but having been a keen photographer for more than 50 years I do feel rather naked when out and about without one of my cameras in my hand.

• Like 4

On 8/17/2022 at 6:07 AM, Paul S said:

For some of us the opportunity of shooting outside our usual locations and wanting to bring back outstanding images is  a major part of the enjoyment of the trip. In my bag I bring two bodies plus four overlapping zoom lenses, a couple of teleconverters and where possible a tripod and a few filters. Admittedly this is APS-C mirrorless, which reduces the weight somewhat, but both bodies have vertical grips and take extra batteries which then adds to the load. I don't carry everything when out and about, but at least I have a decent selection from which to choose for that day's circumstances. I also carry a little pocket sized Sony R100 III used for my work. This shoots RAW and has an optical viewfinder, so I have something with me at the restaurant, or whenever I don't want (or it's not practical) to take something bigger, plus failing everything else a decent phone which shoots RAW. I suspect I'm not the only one, but having been a keen photographer for more than 50 years I do feel rather naked when out and about without one of my cameras in my hand.

To piggy back your comment about shooting outside our usual locations. My excitement for my first vacation ever has just gone through the roof because I've recently gotten back into photography after 20+ years(last did it with film in high school in the mid to late 90s). I just purchased (for 950$) 2 months ago, a used Canon 70D with a EFS10-18, EFS18-135, EFS 24mm, and an EF 70-200 f/4L IS ii USM.

My cruise to the Mediterranean(Italy and Montenegro) starts next weekend and I'm curious if I should buy a 50mm. I'm thinking about passing for now since the 24mm on a crop is roughly 39mm.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of? I have extra batteries, SD cards, and a messenger bag. I'm going to leave the 18-135mm home since the extra weight/space isn't great for between 24-70 ( even though I know that is a huge hole that is a big part of pictures). My bag has spots for 3 lenses (though the nifty 50 and 24mm could probably fit in one of the sections if I went that route). 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:07 AM, Paul S said:

For some of us the opportunity of shooting outside our usual locations and wanting to bring back outstanding images is  a major part of the enjoyment of the trip…I suspect I'm not the only one, but having been a keen photographer for more than 50 years I do feel rather naked when out and about without one of my cameras in my hand.

Well said. I couldn’t agree more.

So happy I found this thread. I am very new to the photography stuff. I recently bought a Nikon D3500. I have the kit lens (18-55mm - 3.5-5.6) I did buy a 35mm 1.8 prime lens and a 70-300mm 4.5-6.3 telephoto lens.

We are going on a river cruise in Sept on the Danube (Hopefully... :-} ). What lens(s) would you all recommend to take?

Thanks in advance for your help !

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 AM, Flight96 said:

So happy I found this thread. I am very new to the photography stuff. I recently bought a Nikon D3500. I have the kit lens (18-55mm - 3.5-5.6) I did buy a 35mm 1.8 prime lens and a 70-300mm 4.5-6.3 telephoto lens.

We are going on a river cruise in Sept on the Danube (Hopefully... :-} ). What lens(s) would you all recommend to take?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Really depends on what kind of pics you like to take. In a place like Europe I just leave my 10-18mm on all day because that's what I love to shoot with. With previous cameras what focal lengths did you use most?

On 8/22/2022 at 9:52 AM, gumby_ng said:

Really depends on what kind of pics you like to take. In a place like Europe I just leave my 10-18mm on all day because that's what I love to shoot with. With previous cameras what focal lengths did you use most?

My previous camera was a fixed lens Canon 6-72mm. This is my first camera with different lens's.

Have always taken a camera on my cruises. I have switched to a mirrorless  because it’s lighter. I always have my phone ready incase something worth taking a picture of happens, like a couple of dolphins swimming next to the ship. I taught photography in HS and we ended up adding a cellphone photography unit because as much as the students enjoyed the DSLR most of the students said they liked their phone because they always have it with them. I personally like looking though the view finder and taking the picture.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Flight96 said:

I did buy a 35mm 1.8 prime lens and a 70-300mm 4.5-6.3 telephoto lens.

Have you been using the long lens? What do you usually like to shoot? On a river cruise you'll probably be a lot closer to things but then again, not always.

If you're comfortable enough with the camera, you may enjoy some of the features it has to give you some interesting shooting options (shooting multiple frames that you can stitch together for a wide shot) which are pretty amazing these days. 

If you don't mind packing/carrying the long lens, definitely bring it. It's not like you need to worry about carrying the kit bag everywhere you go. 

I hope it works out that you'll be on the Danube, it should be heavenly 🙂

I love my Sony 2600 mirrorless, and it goes on all trips, but doesn’t have gps. So I  also snap a couple of photos on the phone for mapping location (eliminates the need for travel notes) and also for quick social media posts or messages to family with a photo.

Also, for night photos, I don’t tend to have a tripod with me so, I find my iPhone 13 does great night shots without a lot of fuss.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, Cthulhu_Awakens said:

To piggy back your comment about shooting outside our usual locations. My excitement for my first vacation ever has just gone through the roof because I've recently gotten back into photography after 20+ years(last did it with film in high school in the mid to late 90s). I just purchased (for 950$) 2 months ago, a used Canon 70D with a EFS10-18, EFS18-135, EFS 24mm, and an EF 70-200 f/4L IS ii USM.

My cruise to the Mediterranean(Italy and Montenegro) starts next weekend and I'm curious if I should buy a 50mm. I'm thinking about passing for now since the 24mm on a crop is roughly 39mm.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of? I have extra batteries, SD cards, and a messenger bag. I'm going to leave the 18-135mm home since the extra weight/space isn't great for between 24-70 ( even though I know that is a huge hole that is a big part of pictures). My bag has spots for 3 lenses (though the nifty 50 and 24mm could probably fit in one of the sections if I went that route). 

New to the thread. I have been cruising for 10 years, with multiple cruises under my belt (Alaska, Mediterranean several times, other places in Europe, and Caribbean). I am also a long-time, relatively skilled photographer, having started shooting film-based 35mm in 1976, and moving on up through DSLR and now mirrorless. I am on the "old school" (I carry a camera, I use a viewfinder, and I shoot raw 99% of the time) side of this stuff. Like a couple others here, photography is a significant part of my cruising and travel. Learning to balance it out with family and other things is sometimes a challenge for me. 🙂 I carried a Nikon DSLR and a wide range zoom with me on the Alaska Cruise, as well as the next couple cruises. After a while, the weight and size of this gear began to wear on me. I picked up one of the Sony NEX line cameras. I loved the freeing nature of size and weight, while keeping the ability to shoot raw, with a viewfinder, and interchangeable lenses. A couple cruises later, I discovered the Sony RX100 line of "point & shoot" cameras. I think we have to be careful not to think of P&S cameras as somehow "inferior." Like any other camera, it depends on the model. There are (I have used and owned a couple) P&S cameras that really didn't make very good images. But the RX100's make very good images. My current one (which I rarely use anymore) has 28-200 zoom equivalent, Carl Zeiss designed lens. It makes very good images, has IS and all the controls I have in other cameras. It's downside for me is - no interchangeable lens and smallish (1") sensor. I am a recent convert to the M4/3 system for my travel (I have a Sony A7RII full frame and lenses for my "dedicated" photography shooting. But for travel, I now carry the Olympus OM10-II, with a 28-300 equivalent zoom and an 18-36 equivalent zoom. They are very small and very light and very packable. In addition, buying used made them very affordable. I have carried it on a cruise in the Caribbean, 20 days in Portugal, and a Cruise in the Baltic. You can see my results at my website: http://lightcentricphotography.com 

O.k., LOL, I will get to the point. My experience tells me that I want to carry a "serious" camera for travel, but I want it to be light and small. My entire travel rig fits easily in my small carryon bag along with all the other non-photo stuff I need. There is a such thing as "overpacking." I think you might be there. Most of my shooting involves walking around cities or being on off the ship excursions. I can say confidently that the times I needed wider far outweigh the times I needed longer lenses. For landscapes, I get the concept of taking several and stitching a "pano." But that may not work in street shooting and cityscapes. OTOH, there have been some shots I have "missed" because I didn't have enough reach. I have settled on my lens combo with that in mind. The 28-300 will be on the body 85% of the time. The wider one will get used in tighter quarters. For travel, it is also important to keep in mind that you will mostly be shooting in daylight, and you probably don't need those exotic wide aperture "pro" lenses. None of my travel lenses are. They do fine, an the majority of the time I am at f8 - f11. These consumer grade lenses are smaller and lighter. And many of them yield fine results (the Olympus M. Zuiko lenses are very good, even at consumer grade). Usually the 50mm is relatively inexpensive and small. So, by all means, if you can afford it, add it to your arsenal. But you really don't need it - IMO, for travel - especially cruises.

FWIW, my two cents.

• Like 1

One other thing. On the topic of image quality. I agree with the comment that it depends on what you want to do with the shots. I have a Samsung Galaxy (next to newest iteration) and I am impressed with the digital image quality at 72 dpi, made in daylight. I also am impressed with its ability to get things right indoors. But as soon as you import the image into a post-processing software (I use PS CC), that's when things get dicy. Ironically, the megapixels are greater than the megapixels on my Olympus mirrorless. But that is not the whole story. More importantly, in my view, is the size of the sensor (size matters 🙂 ), and the age of the sensor (newer=better technology and probably less noise and aberrations). Smartphones have the smallest sensors, and that is their greatest weakness in my view (though I acknowledge that this is probably only temporary). My Sony RX100 was 1". It gave me markedly better results at roughly the same MP size. The m4/3 is even larger, and theoretically at least, should yield higher IQ. The so-called "crop sensors" are even larger. I know from observation that the IQ on my "full-frame" Sony is better. To me, it is what is the best compromise between what you are willing to carry and IQ.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me it all depends on where I'm going and what I plan to do with photos.  For puttering around the Caribbean I ight just bring my cell phone. I have an older model Samsung (S20).  Obviously easy to carry anywhere and good enough for casual photos around the ship or at the beach, which will be mostly viewed on a computer monitor or cell phone.  Occasionally I'll bring a "serious" camera because I like to shoot sunsets, but I will not carry it to the beach or to a touristy town.  If we are going on a cruise for "sightseeing" I will bring a "serious" camera, with appropriate lenses, and if needed a tripod and flash unit. we also take many non-cruise trips either to national parks or other cities/countries and I will definitely bring a "real" camera.  

I have been using a  Nikon D750 with excellent results for years. Lenses 28-105mm zoom, 70-200mm zoom (sharp as a tack but an absolute brick to carry), and 28 mm prime. Benro tripod, third party flash unit, UV, ND, and polarizing filters, power pack. This line up feels fine weight wise when shooting at a single location, or when driving from spot to spot and shooting from a point near the car. However this line up is getting heavy when walking around cities and parks.  Was thinking about trying out a mirrorless system, and was able to acquire a Nikon Z7II with a Z mount 24-200mm  zoom, as a retirement gift from my Company (instead of an expensive watch). Have used this camera and lens on my last two trips with excellent results, very sharp images. Comfortable to use both with respect to weight and control placement. 

One item I don't think was addressed in the above posts was weather and light.  When visiting a location for a short duration one is at the mercy of the weather. Cloud cover, fog , rain, smoke etc. can make for dicey shooting conditions, and possibly limiting photo quality. Lighting drastically affects photo quality, sometimes I will be shooting around mid-day with direct sunlight., because that is when I am at a specific location. As I assume for most of us travel photography is an avocation, and one doesn't have the luxury of spending an entire day, or at least many hours in one location waiting for the shot.

Just returned from  week cruise to Norway for Northern lights. Link to photos.

https://img.gg/li99WfI

shot aurora photos with D750 and others with Z7II

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of food for thought in this thread, my Alaska cruise is still 11 months away but I’m leaning more towards my dSLR kit rather than the mirrorless simply due to the weather. I have a couple of Aquatech weather shields and viewfinder adapter for my canon 7d/mk ii, but not for the Panasonic gm1. The small boat excursions are very limited with how late in the season I’ll be travelling and if I pick a kayak excursion then it’ll be my phone that will be the camera (Samsung s21). The question now is whether to bring both dSLR bodies so I can have a short lens on one and long lens on the other or just bring one body with multiple lenses. 

I’ve done pitchside photography for rugby in the depths of Irish winter so I’m used to using the canons with their “coats” , the amount of visiting photographers that wound up with dead cameras because they trusted the inbuilt seals on their top end kit would make you cry. The local sports and nature photographers here all use waterproof covers no matter how watertight their gear claims to be.  I suspect Alaska in October will be rather similar to November in Ireland so I doubt the Panasonic GM1 would survive. 

DW & I each took two mirrorless Fuji bodies on our Antarctic expedition, one with a short zoom and one with a long zoom, on a Black Rapid double harness. The bodies and lenses are weatherproofed and we used them on the RIBs without waterproof jackets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a wedding photographer and have also shot professionally for a cruise line. I have Sony A7iii's and considerable prime expensive lenses. When shooting professionally for a cruise line I use my A7iii's and primes  ... but when it's just a fun cruise the Better Half and I both carry Sony RX10IV's ... incredible bridge camera with a hunk of a lens built by Zeiss that is a 24-600 equivalent lens. Has a built-in flash if I need light and takes very nice 4K video. I shoot in RAW of course and edit in Lightroom when I return though I can load to my iPad for a quick social media upload. 

For fun I take my RX10IV, GoPro 10 and my DJI Air2s ... I do license myself (drone) for the countries I visit .... primarily EU countries. 

So to conclude it really depends on the purpose of the trip on what I take ...

Drone

DJI_0106-Edit.jpg

GoPro 10

GOPRE0107-Edit.jpg

RX10IV

DSC0E7195.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 9:14 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I shoot in RAW of course and edit in Lightroom when I return though I can load to my iPad for a quick social media upload. 

We've had problems with Fuji raw files in loading to and viewing on ipads. We've only been able to do so by importing from the camera card into Lightroom on the ipad. Are we missing a trick?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:41 PM, Paul S said:

DW & I each took two mirrorless Fuji bodies on our Antarctic expedition, one with a short zoom and one with a long zoom, on a Black Rapid double harness. The bodies and lenses are weatherproofed and we used them on the RIBs without waterproof jackets.

ah but was there driving rain? That is what gets through weather seals every time, it the joint between the body and lens that’s the infiltration point. 

• 2 weeks later...