Luminae

ispendmoney

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

My feeling on this is, if I go to a local restaurant for dinner, I am going to order from their menu.  I'd never ask, hey thanks for having me me, BUT can I please order the XXXX from the restaurant next door.  I know on M and S class ships they allow it, but am glad they do not on on E.  If one wants the menu from MDR just go there.

I guess I'm with you there. There isn't a huge laundry list of items on the menu, but what I recall was very good. And I kind of like the twists on classics concept. The ribeye that's in the pictures on this thread looks interesting to me. I might disagree once I tasted it, but it has the look of a fairly classic French beef preparation.

If anything the one time (so far) we were in Luminae, we didn't find it adventuresome enough...

I've done 25 cruises and all but 1 was on Celebrity.  The last few cruises have been suite class on Edge (going on the one that leaves 1/2/22 if it doesn't get cancelled) and I am looking forward to Luminae; my wife and I ended up not going anywhere else on the last cruise (july 21) because we were so happy with Luminae.

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

But Luminae is the MDR for suites.  The whole idea behind it is to give Retreat guests an MDR experience (i.e., you and the servers get to know each other) but in an environment that's a notch up in service and selection. 

Debate not argument...

I don't think that's the idea. The idea is to give an upscale dining experience to match the upscale (modern luxury, whatever that means) experience of the Retreat. I don't think there's an intent to give an MDR experience; the intent is to give a first class restaurant experience. And in this day and age, for the most part, that means a more adventuresome menu. And frankly, the Luminae menu really isn't that adventuresome.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

And frankly, the Luminae menu really isn't that adventuresome.

I rather agree, and I'll go one further.  Where it does become adventurous it also tends to become something of a mess.  I hold up that "rib eye" as an example.  And there's another reason it's good to have the other menus available.  If Luminae is more "different" than "better," then let's have those other choices.

When I said "MDR experience," I meant that they have a menu that changes every night, as well as that they do their best to seat you with the same servers every night so that they get to know you.  In fact, it seems like that, if they can make it work at all, you get the same servers every night no matter where you sit. 

Of course, all that is on top of the fact that it is the assigned dining room for the Retreat.  Even the Maitre d' told me to think of it as "home."

So, it's more of an "upscale MDR," or their attempt at it.

Now, with all this criticism, let me reiterate that I do enjoy Luminae very much, and let me also say that I've ordered much more from the Luminae menu than the others when dining there.

Edited by DCPIV

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I rather agree, and I'll go one further.  Where it does become adventurous it also tends to become something of a mess.  I hold up that "rib eye" as an example.  And there's another reason it's good to have the other menus available.  If Luminae is more "different" than "better," then let's have those other choices.

When I said "MDR experience," I meant that they have a menu that changes every night, as well as that they do their best to seat you with the same servers every night so that they get to know you.  In fact, it seems like that, if they can make it work at all, you get the same servers every night no matter where you sit.  Of course, all that is on top of the fact that it is the assigned dining room for the Retreat.

So, it's more of an "upscale MDR," or their attempt at it.

I'd probably go along with that...

There are probably two fairly different "upscale" (thinking Michelin here, but that's not required) experiences. The most common is probably the tasting menu, where you decide you're eating there, and you get what they're serving. Maybe some variation for allergies, but the chef sets your menu. The other is either prix fixe with a choice of courses (which is kind of the MDR/Luminae model) or true ala carte.

It wouldn't work in the MDR, but Luminae almost certainly could support a multiple entree prix fixe model. The food is mostly cooked to order. And with 10 appetizers, 10 entrees, and dessert (or 15-20 first and second courses plus a main), you'd have choices, and you'd have more of a restaurant model (might still be the same waiter, but it wouldn't have to be).

Interesting question as to whether trying to be "like the MDR" actually limits them? Hadn't thought of that until tonight...

35 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

But Luminae is the MDR for suites.  The whole idea behind it is to give Retreat guests an MDR experience (i.e., you and the servers get to know each other) but in an environment that's a notch up in service and selection.  It's not just about the menu, but one of the major draws of Luminae on M and S ships is the ability to order from other assigned dining rooms without having to go somewhere other than Luminae.

If you were in a suite and showed up at the MDR, I'm sure they would do their best to accommodate you as they do in Blu, but it's not your assigned dining room.  It's someone else's, and you're now taking up their bandwidth.  It's not like you can book it in the way you can a specialty restaurant.

Also, what's the problem with mixing and matching?  I might not want the MDR menu, but I might want something from it.  There have been a number of times in Luminae where I ordered an appetizer from one menu and an entree from another (and maybe a dessert from another still), especially after the first cruise in Luminae.  I've had tablemates who did the same.  Not to mention how that tablemate has been my wife on occasion.  It was rather nice that we could both have the selections we wanted without having to split up or go nomadic.  

At least they expanded the E-class Luminae menus to include "classic" offerings.  Still, it's a downgrade from what you get in Luminae on other ships.  That's one of my problems with the E-class ships.  The "ship within a ship" concept is done in a manner that limits options more than expand them.

None of the Luminea menus for E class I have seen have a “classic offerings “ does anyone have a link?

1 minute ago, markeb said:

It wouldn't work in the MDR, but Luminae almost certainly could support a multiple entree prix fixe model. The food is mostly cooked to order. And with 10 appetizers, 10 entrees, and dessert (or 15-20 first and second courses plus a main), you'd have choices, and you'd have more of a restaurant model (might still be the same waiter, but it wouldn't have to be).

I quite like that idea.  They could even feature a selection for each course but have a more standard selections (or rotate those less often).

I was recently on a Silversea cruise, and they did the MDR in a similar manner.  I loved it.  There were a handful of selections that never changed.  There were a handful of selections that rotated every 3 or 4 days.  There were a handful of selections that were featured for that night only (but they might reappear again on a different leg).  Give them a day's notice, and they could make just about anything.

Now, I don't expect Luminae to go quite as far as Silversea in either quality or selection.  Shoot, it was a four-page menu every night (including desserts and after dinner drinks), and some of the food was some of the best I've had anywhere.  However, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one little bit if they took a page or two from that playbook.

Just FYI, the specialty restaurants on that Silversea ship also rotated some selections every few days (entrees, as well as some soups, salads, pastas, and desserts).  Again, they could do most anything with a day's notice.

51 minutes ago, M&Msmom said:

None of the Luminea menus for E class I have seen have a “classic offerings “ does anyone have a link?

I don't know if there's any link to it, and it wasn't widely known in my Edge sailing in October.

Off the top of my head, the offerings were French onion soup, Escargot, Caesar Salad, a salmon entree and and a grilled chicken entree.

2 hours ago, M&Msmom said:

Luminae on the Apex did not have a Classic offerings section. The only alternative to the evening's selection of starters, entrees, and desserts are the Daniel Boulud selections which is one choice per course and doesn't change at all.  

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

That's on the menu. I listed most if not all of the off-menu classic offerings above.

How is one supposed to know about off menu selections if it's not displayed on the app nor on the printed nightly menu? If there were those choices on the Apex it was NEVER made known to me in Luminae by any staff member, whether server, Maitre D' or any of the numerous staff I encountered. I even made it known about the incorrect steak descriptions and during that encounter it was never disclosed that there could be 'alternative' entrees that might suit my needs.  

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Unfortunately one evening on my Apex cruise that didn't happen. I actually REQUESTED that the Scallop entree be plated as a second appetizer. Instead of honoring my request they brought out my first starter and then brought out two entrees, the lobster and scallops fully plated separately. In the scheme of things nothing terrible to get upset about and I think in the servers mind he was doing me a favor by giving me more food, but that's not what I wanted and it really was a simple request. Sitting at a table for two it made for a crowded main course.

After reviewing my photos my recollection was slightly off.  I had asked that for a starter course I wanted the Scallops from the entree section to be plated with some risotto from the starter section. Instead, for the starter course they brought out both the risotto and the fully plated scallops simultaneously. 

Having said that, both were delicious.

original_7658013d-3b75-42d8-80b8-233e93031d0d_PXL_20211219_004124149.jpg

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

How is one supposed to know about off menu selections if it's not displayed on the app nor on the printed nightly menu? If there were those choices on the Apex it was NEVER made known to me in Luminae by any staff member, whether server, Maitre D' or any of the numerous staff I encountered. I even made it known about the incorrect steak descriptions and during that encounter it was never disclosed that there could be 'alternative' entrees that might suit my needs.  

I really don't remember how we found out. Maybe I spotted an escargot at a nearby table, I'm not sure. On the last 2 nights, we dined with another couple and they didn't know about them. It's definitely not promoted and I'm not sure why.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Off the top of my head, the offerings were French onion soup, Escargot, Caesar Salad, a salmon entree and and a grilled chicken entree.

Just remembered another... shrimp cocktail.

10 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I really don't remember how we found out. Maybe I spotted an escargot at a nearby table, I'm not sure. On the last 2 nights, we dined with another couple and they didn't know about them. It's definitely not promoted and I'm not sure why.

Just remembered another... shrimp cocktail.

Those are all daily offerings on the MDR menu.  We frequently order those when dining in Luminae on S class ships.  Another item on that list is the French Onion Soup.  I believe my wife had that six nights in a row on our recent Reflection B2B. 

25 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If I remember right the Edge added the classic offerings in March 2019.

Is it listed on the app or the printed nightly menu?

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Those are all daily offerings on the MDR menu.  We frequently order those when dining in Luminae on S class ships.  Another item on that list is the French Onion Soup.  I believe my wife had that six nights in a row on our recent Reflection B2B. 

Exactly. But on the E Class ships those Classic Always Available Items are listed both in the app and on the Printed nightly menu for the four main dining rooms. At least on the Apex, it is not listed in the app or the printed nightly menus for Luminae.

Edited by kwokpot

12 hours ago, markeb said:

Debate not argument...

I don't think that's the idea. The idea is to give an upscale dining experience to match the upscale (modern luxury, whatever that means) experience of the Retreat. I don't think there's an intent to give an MDR experience; the intent is to give a first class restaurant experience. And in this day and age, for the most part, that means a more adventuresome menu. And frankly, the Luminae menu really isn't that adventuresome.

I know the term 'adventurous menu' will be very subjective. But I don't believe any Celebrity restaurant menu could be described as 'adventurous'. I'm really not a fan of the celebrity marketing department. In fact I think it's staffed by a bunch of disingenuous bar stewards who over hype their product massively. But I don't recall them trying to promote Luminae as adventurous. 

In my mind it's simply a step up in quality both food wise and service wise from the MDR and Blu. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, dcbiker97 said:

Luminae on Edge class is the most limiting because you can’t order off the MDR menus like you can in the S and M class versions.  

Interesting - we did not know this about Edge. Good to know as we are booked on Edge at the end of January. Is there a reason for this?

We enjoyed Luminae on Summit back in October but we did find that we selected MDR options a few times. We had to have the french onion soup :)!

Our favorite things about Luminae: the atmosphere of the dining room, not having to wait in line, the Luminae burger, and the warm pastry selections in the AM.

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

My feeling on this is, if I go to a local restaurant for dinner, I am going to order from their menu.  I'd never ask, hey thanks for having me me, BUT can I please order the XXXX from the restaurant next door.  I know on M and S class ships they allow it, but am glad they do not on on E.  If one wants the menu from MDR just go there.

Except that Luminae and the MDR are not competing restaurants in the neighborhood, but owned and operated by the same company, who is telling you that it is okay to order from the other one. (Obviously, M and S classes only)

Analogous Story: A dozen or so years ago, I lived in Knoxville, TN. There were two restaurants that shared a building - common entrance, just turn right for Cappuccino's (Italian) and left for Copper Cellar (steak house). One could order from either menu while seated in either restaurant. I generally liked the ambiance of the steak house side better, so even if I wanted Italian, I'd turn left and order off the Cappuccino's menu.

On our Celebrity trips, there were a few occasions where there was something of particular interest on the MDR menu, but we definitely preferred the ambiance of Luminae. Had we chosen to dine in the MDR instead, the one of us who was not ordering the MDR item of interest would not have been able to order anything of interest from the Luminae menu.

• Like 1