Jewel of the Seas - December 30

I didn't think I would make it this far but my mom and I are checked in and waiting to board.

I'll try to post some live updates and answer questions as best as possible.

We arrived at the port around 11 and had no wait for health screen, security, or check in. We were told to arrive an hour after our original time but still ended up here at our original time. We have The Key and I'm not sure if that's why they let us in early or not.

While waiting we've done the security videos - super easy. We've also been given a letter that is the CYA email but with the positivity rate for the cruise prior to ours - 2.4%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

I didn't think I would make it this far but my mom and I are checked in and waiting to board.

We arrived at the port around 11 and had no wait for health screen, security, or check in. We were told to arrive an hour after our original time but still ended up here at our original time. We have The Key and I'm not sure if that's why they let us in early or not.

While waiting we've done the security videos - super easy. We've also been given a letter that is the CYA email but with the positivity rate for the cruise prior to ours - 2.4%.

Could you provide a link to the 2.4% positives on last jewel. I know that they had cases but never read this high. Was it from crew? Rcl? Word of mouth?

19 minutes ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Test everyone five days after this cruise to get the real number. Best of luck!

• Like 1

This is the letter we were provided while waiting to board. 2.4% is high (I don't know the CDC rules for suspension) and I wager it was higher.

I definitely plan on a quarantine and testing when I get home.

We're on board now having lunch in the main dining room. Did our muster (or is it mustard?) check in first and it was quick.

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Isn't 2.4% rather high and can't sail.....better start unloading positive people onboard to shoreside

Jewel unloaded a bunch of positive crew the other day to rhapsody    Sounds like they will need to unload if the ship is going to have any chance of docking at any island.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyOverGirl said:

This is the letter we were provided while waiting to board. 2.4% is high (I don't know the CDC rules for suspension) and I wager it was higher.

I definitely plan on a quarantine and testing when I get home.

We're on board now having lunch in the main dining room. Did our muster (or is it mustard?) check in first and it was quick.

image.jpg

Wow thank you for posting this.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

any idea how many passengers will be sailing on jewel this week?

Probably none with those figures, just leave it parked at the dock. Enjoy !!!

Wonder how many crew will be available to work by this time next week at those rates. This might be the beginning of the end. 😞

Edited by Jimbo

Not sure how many are onboard but I’ll find out later.

The CDC just released their, don’t get on cruise ships under any circumstances recommendation. A little late for that one - I’m no and not getting off unless someone makes me. At the very least I will hangout on the balcony and read the entire trip.

Our rooms were ready around 2:30ish. We waited for our room to be ready at the cafe on 5. Haven’t really done any exploring yet. I might leave my mom to hangout and do a quick look around. Nice thing about a smaller ship - it doesn’t take forever to get places.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

You have got to be the most "negative" person on C.C.  You just love to TROLL everyone don't you.

Not .negative, just my opinion on what I read and see is going on, I don't make up the bad news.

If you want to continue to read what people are reporting and feeling with rose colored glasses like everything is normal and smooth sailings go right ahead.

I didn't report Jewel currently had an infection rate of positive's onboard at 2.4%, If you can't handle that by all means stop reading threads on C.C.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Well i don't feel so bad now.. were onboard explorer this week and previous sailing% wasn't nearly that high.. and we have still had to make unplanned stops to offload positive crew members, had one port day cut in half, had delayed clearance in another that resulted in missed excursion lol but we are making the best out of it and I hope you do the same this week! Just keep in mind it is not the crews fault and they are spread super thin, working extremely long hrs at the moment and just wondering when they will also be quarantined.... we feel so bad for them..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

You have got to be the most "negative" person on C.C.  You just love to TROLL everyone don't you.

My 2 cents Georgiegirl.  JIMBO gets ONE of his sources from a recently working member on Carnival ships. That being our son. He got off the Panorama on December12th.

YES, the Panorama is not an RCCL Ship. The ship’s crew members are getting sick, kinda a no brainer.  

In our son’s case … the week our son left, another Fun Squad member left and a Fun Squad member was quarantined off the ship at a local hotel (Crew quarantine cabins full). 

I believe JIMBO made an educated guess.  I certainly don’t think of him as a Troll either. 

No one wants to stop cruising. I just cancelled my B2B on the Navigator for theJanuary 10th cruise. And we have a March Panorama booked & paid.  Just taking this one day at a time. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank you for posting your cruise.  We are supposed to be on Jewel in 2 weeks.  As long as we test negative, we're going! I hope you enjoy your time watching the world go by! Frankly, I don't care what the CDC says. They don't seem to get it right anyway. Bon voyage! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder how many crew will be available to work by this time next week at those rates. This might be the beginning of the end. 😞

I wonder how they will handle all the crew members from various ships that have been transferred to "ghost ships" Vision and Rhapsody for quarantine.    Did they have crew they swapped out?    I guess the crew will return to their original ship after they are healthy?      Based on the CDC quarantine changes they may only be quarantined for a week (if same rules apply to cruise ships that apply on land).    

It is a lot of crew that has been impacted.    At one point there was over 300 in quarantine on Odyssey.    

2 hours ago, FlyOverGirl said:

Not sure how many are onboard but I’ll find out later.

The CDC just released their, don’t get on cruise ships under any circumstances recommendation. A little late for that one - I’m no and not getting off unless someone makes me. At the very least I will hangout on the balcony and read the entire trip.

Our rooms were ready around 2:30ish. We waited for our room to be ready at the cafe on 5. Haven’t really done any exploring yet. I might leave my mom to hangout and do a quick look around. Nice thing about a smaller ship - it doesn’t take forever to get places.

Jewel is a very nice ship.    Her Sister Serenade is our favorite and they are basically the same ship.    We love this size ship and find the food and service is usually better than on the larger ships.    I hope you and your Mom have a wonderful sailing with great weather and a healthy one for all.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Depends. New CDC guidelines are 5 days of quarantine if asymptomatic. Thats not bad.

We are on the Jewel January 9th. Excited to follow your posts. I heard if you go to guest services you can find out how many passengers are on the next cruise. If you happen to be there for something else, can you ask about the Jan 9th cruise? Hope you guys have a great time and Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Isn't 2.4% rather high and can't sail.....better start unloading positive people onboard to shoreside

They have a bit of an unusual itinerary-- this sailing might be in better shape than most.  Haven't heard that Costa Rica or Panama are kicking ships for Covid positive cases, and only heard one report weeks ago out of Colombia of a kicked ship, and nothing since.

Aruba will kick a ship with higher than 1% positives, so that port stop may be in jeopardy, but the rest of the itinerary may be just fine.

image.png.fa4d50634c6dd2ab056d3783ad0881d9.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DevonfromAcme said:

They have a bit of an unusual itinerary-- this sailing might be in better shape than most.  Haven't heard that Costa Rica or Panama are kicking ships for Covid positive cases, and only heard one report weeks ago out of Colombia of a kicked ship, and nothing since.

Aruba will kick a ship with higher than 1% positives, so that port stop may be in jeopardy, but the rest of the itinerary may be just fine.

image.png.fa4d50634c6dd2ab056d3783ad0881d9.png

This is a nice itinerary.    We did one similar to do this on Serenade Jan 2020. 

It will be nice to have the overnight stay in Aruba.     A short taxi ride from port to a place called the West Deck is a great place to go for a sunset dinner or just drinks and appetizers.

We did a tour boat to the Old Walled City in Colombia.     Beautiful area with lots of history but boy was it very hot and humid that day.    There is a beautiful area at the end of dock with cruise shops and various birds including Flamingoes.     We sat and watched them for a while as we cooled off in a shady area.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This is a nice itinerary.    We did one similar to do this on Serenade Jan 2020. 

It will be nice to have the overnight stay in Aruba.     A short taxi ride from port to a place called the West Deck is a great place to go for a sunset dinner or just drinks and appetizers.

We did a tour boat to the Old Walled City in Colombia.     Beautiful area with lots of history but boy was it very hot and humid that day.    There is a beautiful area at the end of dock with cruise shops and various birds including Flamingoes.     We sat and watched them for a while as we cooled off in a shady area.    

Unless they miraculously manage to keep Covid number under 1% for this sailing (as opposed to 2.4% for the last sailing 😲) there is no way in hell they are going to be able to set foot in Aruba.

• Like 2