Afraid of the cabin I would get with Royalup

ahamlet

I have 2 promenade interiors on Jan. 3 sailing of Independence of the Seas. I placed Royalup bids for Panaromic OV. Initally status was pending and I could not modify the bid or place bids on other cabin options. Yesterday status changed to unavailable. I can now modify the bid and place bids on other cabins. I placed bids on balconeys but canceled. I am considering bidding again on the balconeys. My concern is if I won I would end up on deck 6. I typically do not like being on decks that do not have cabins above and below them. I am concerned there will be a lot of noise from deck 5 if placed on deck 6. Since the sailing is no longer showing online I have no idea where the available balconeys are. Is there a chance that the unavialable status could change?

If you're afraid of where you might be placed DO NOT BID! We bid for balconies on our Christmas cruise and ended up with a balcony on deck 6. It was great. We usually book deck 8 or higher and we were skeptical about being above the promenade deck. We had no issues and it was great to run down one deck to grab pizza. We were up for any balcony cabin since we originally booked an inside guarantee. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cynt said:

If you're afraid of where you might be placed DO NOT BID! We bid for balconies on our Christmas cruise and ended up with a balcony on deck 6. It was great. We usually book deck 8 or higher and we were skeptical about being above the promenade deck. We had no issues and it was great to run down one deck to grab pizza. We were up for any balcony cabin since we originally booked an inside guarantee. 

My fear with ending up on deck 6 is noise. That is why we have promenade view on deck 8. Great to hear that you didn't have any noise issues. I appreciate the information. Makes my decision easier.

16 minutes ago, ahamlet said:

My fear with ending up on deck 6 is noise. That is why we have promenade view on deck 8. Great to hear that you didn't have any noise issues. I appreciate the information. Makes my decision easier.

Honestly, you're less likely to have noise issues with a Deck 6 balcony than with a Deck 8 promenade interior (I have stayed in both on Voyager/Freedom class).

The promenade interiors weren't as loud to me as I've heard some complain (but that is in some ways subjective, based on sensitivity to noise), but the outdoor promenade space on Deck 4 (with lifeboats extending up to Deck 5) means you're not really over the indoor promenade public spaces (the promenade interiors on Deck 6 are).

5 hours ago, ahamlet said:

I have 2 promenade interiors on Jan. 3 sailing of Independence of the Seas. I placed Royalup bids for Panaromic OV. Initally status was pending and I could not modify the bid or place bids on other cabin options. Yesterday status changed to unavailable. I can now modify the bid and place bids on other cabins. I placed bids on balconeys but canceled. I am considering bidding again on the balconeys. My concern is if I won I would end up on deck 6. I typically do not like being on decks that do not have cabins above and below them. I am concerned there will be a lot of noise from deck 5 if placed on deck 6. Since the sailing is no longer showing online I have no idea where the available balconeys are. Is there a chance that the unavialable status could change?

This is exactly why I would never do the program. I am a control freak on my room location. 

• Like 1

Indeed, do not bid if you are concerned about what you will get.  You just don't know.  It's not a deal if you wind up with something you prefer less than what you have.

If you really want a certain cabin or location, just call up and make the change with RC (or your TA, if that's who you're working with).  If the cost is too much, stay where you are and enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm hemming and hawing about doing RoyalUp. The price is attractive for a grand suite, but I'm still worried that I throw Royal an extra 1k, and it's accepted, I will be placed below the pool deck. Getting a GS on an Oasis class ship for a little under 2200 on. 6 night cruise I incredible, but I wonder if I would still be ticked off if I'm hearing running footsteps an moving deck chairs. 

I’ve just bid on my first RoyalUp option, from a hump balcony on deck 8 to a GS for 1/10 sailing on the Indy. My bid was “weak” because I don’t really care. I figured it was worth a shot if enough people cancel or if other people have placed a better bid for a balcony. I’m not entirely sure how it works but will be interesting to see. Now just hoping the planets align and we sail! Happy New Year!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I'm hemming and hawing about doing RoyalUp. The price is attractive for a grand suite, but I'm still worried that I throw Royal an extra 1k, and it's accepted, I will be placed below the pool deck. Getting a GS on an Oasis class ship for a little under 2200 on. 6 night cruise I incredible, but I wonder if I would still be ticked off if I'm hearing running footsteps an moving deck chairs. 

It may depend upon just how noise sensitive you are.  If quite sensitive, it may not be a good idea for you.  While I generally try to avoid being right below the pool deck, we are not very noise sensitive, so I would still bid on a GS on Oasis class.  The extra space and royal suite benefits would be worth it to me even if we got deck 14.  I always pack earplugs, even if my cabin should be in a quiet location; there could be a crying baby, a bouncing-off-walls active child, or just loud adults above or adjacent. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ahamlet said:

then why are you bidding?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xtremegk said:

Honestly, you're less likely to have noise issues with a Deck 6 balcony than with a Deck 8 promenade interior (I have stayed in both on Voyager/Freedom class).

The promenade interiors weren't as loud to me as I've heard some complain (but that is in some ways subjective, based on sensitivity to noise), but the outdoor promenade space on Deck 4 (with lifeboats extending up to Deck 5) means you're not really over the indoor promenade public spaces (the promenade interiors on Deck 6 are).

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Indeed, do not bid if you are concerned about what you will get.  You just don't know.  It's not a deal if you wind up with something you prefer less than what you have.

If you really want a certain cabin or location, just call up and make the change with RC (or your TA, if that's who you're working with).  If the cost is too much, stay where you are and enjoy!

RCCL is not offering the option to call and change at this time. I was considering upgrading before the cruise was removed from the website. Now Royalup is my only option. Which is why I appreciate all the advice I can get. If I won, I know deck 6 would be an option. I want to make an informed decision.