Getaway cancelled 1/5 sailing

17 hours ago, styxfire said:

There was a time when taking a cruise meant 100% ESCAPE from life's invasive concerns, the dramatic headlines, the political influences, the anger, the fear.  Wi-fi has destroyed that serenity.  As I desperately search for how to upgrade my wi-fi on my cruise next week, it occurs to me how toxic it is to maintain contact with the gossipy, corrupt, manipulated, hateful world.

Sometimes, sailing on the ocean can be peaceful.  The wi-fi I'm addicted to will block that peacefulness.

I tend to purposely not get any WiFi — we get service via our cell provider in many countries, so sea days are a chance to disengage — and it’s wonderful.  We also have iPhones, which we have discovered have a bit of a work around while onboard — the free form of the ships WiFi used to access their app, works to iMessage others with iPhones.  So we can get emergency messages in or out if needed, as well as message each other onboard on the occasions we head off to different areas of the ship.  

Good wishes for your cruise next week

20 hours ago, styxfire said:

So sorry to all affected by this cancelation!  The Getaway's itinerary sounded EXCELLENT.   I hope you can get a similar cruise in the future, the ABC's are GREAT!   Also, the full refund, plus a 20% discount on a future booking is a good deal.  But such short notice is a disappointment, for sure.  I cruise in 5 days and am worried about the same, as my insurance only applies once I'm on board. 

Getaway is not the only victim...  the Pearl was turned around today (2 days into their 11-day Panama and Central America cruise, supposed to stop at 7 different ports).  Those passengers aren't getting refunds, as they will still have received 4 days onboard for free.  But they are getting FCC for the value of their booking, to be used by 2024.  That cancellation was due to crew infection.  The # of cases wasn't specified.

Not true. We were less than 24 hours from embarkation. All payment is being return to the original form of payment AND same amount as future cruise credit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

Nobody even looks at each other any more. We were on a flight to Mia and the couple in front of us stared at their iPads the entire trip. Ultimately we see them again on the ship. Every meal, staring at their phones as if sailing completely alone. Waking the promenade, staring at their phones.  I wondered if when one of of them walked out of the shower and saw the other they jumped and asked “ who the hell are you and why are you in my stateroom?” It IS toxic and your other observations are spot on....as evidenced by those just waiting to pounce in snark. 

This is so sad, but true.  

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

While I agree with most of this, I think it is MOST PRUDENT to be buying unlimited wifi in todays world. I probably won't ever sail without it. In the case of an emergency, it is most useful and imagine being in isolation with no wifi! 

I mean 250 minutes gives you quite a bit of "emergency minutes" to run through during the week.  Plus port stops where u can connect to WIFI or have a phone plan that allows international data for free/cheap.  I believe they also will provide you unlimited internet if you are quarantined.

I've sailed with the Carnival social media package, and Celebrity unlimited . . .and I think the best thing about those packages were not worrying about having to log off the internet to conserve minutes.  My first time doing a 7 day on NCL for New years and if I had to do it over I would of upgraded on day 3 in which I think the total would of been $25/$30 for the rest of the cruise, vs. $80 if I did it on day 1 just to not have to worry about cutting it on and off.

But the 250 limit definitely allowed me not to bother with "whats going on" and focus on relaxing, which I definitely did.

1 minute ago, kdawg954 said:

I mean 250 minutes gives you quite a bit of "emergency minutes" to run through during the week.  Plus port stops where u can connect to WIFI or have a phone plan that allows international data for free/cheap.  I believe they also will provide you unlimited internet if you are quarantined.

I've sailed with the Carnival social media package, and Celebrity unlimited . . .and I think the best thing about those packages were not worrying about having to log off the internet to conserve minutes.  My first time doing a 7 day on NCL for New years and if I had to do it over I would of upgraded on day 3 in which I think the total would of been $25/$30 for the rest of the cruise, vs. $80 if I did it on day 1 just to not have to worry about cutting it on and off.

But the 250 limit definitely allowed me not to bother with "whats going on" and focus on relaxing, which I definitely did.

everyone vacations differently, I can see pros and cons to having internet 🙂

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chuckhendo2 said:

On the Getaway right now, been in quarantine since Friday night after my wife tested positive. It seems there are quite a few passengers who are positive, and who knows how many crew. I just know that when they came by to check on us earlier the list of names seemed pretty long. And who knows how many people never bothered reporting symptoms and getting a test.

I have to say, it hasn't been a great experience. They wouldn't give us unlimited wifi, so I've been having to conserve minutes. Food has not been great from the start, but it has been declining in quality. Everything we ordered for lunch was about room temperature when we received it after about an hour. Still, happy I'll be getting a partial refund for it. I would have gladly cancelled before leaving if they would have let us 

@chuckhendo2 so sorry you and your wife are in quarantine and hope for an easy quick recovery for your wife (and for you if you also get it).  

I know you are conserving minutes right now, but just wondering if they wouldn't give you unlimited wifi for free...or they wouldn't let you buy it at all.  

I have a cruise coming up on the 9th...and if it happens...I have 250 free minutes...and don't really want to upgrade to an unlimited package.  But if a work emergency comes up mid-cruise I might far exceed those minutes.  I'm wondering if you can still buy unlimited data mid-way through.  And if it's prorated for remaining days...or is it the same price you would have paid day 1.  

10 minutes ago, donnaOK said:

@chuckhendo2 so sorry you and your wife are in quarantine and hope for an easy quick recovery for your wife (and for you if you also get it).  

I know you are conserving minutes right now, but just wondering if they wouldn't give you unlimited wifi for free...or they wouldn't let you buy it at all.  

I have a cruise coming up on the 9th...and if it happens...I have 250 free minutes...and don't really want to upgrade to an unlimited package.  But if a work emergency comes up mid-cruise I might far exceed those minutes.  I'm wondering if you can still buy unlimited data mid-way through.  And if it's prorated for remaining days...or is it the same price you would have paid day 1.  

So the key to this is, once you redeem your 250, you can no longer upgrade it.  You also need to have at least 5 days of Unlimited Internet to purchase an unlimited plan.

So if you cruise Sunday to Sunday, you can purchase the unlimited plan on Tuesday at a 5 day rate.  They will give you $125 from your 250 minute plan as credit towards 5 days of unlimited internet.  I believe when i looked the total would of been like $28 on Tuesday for the rest of the cruise.

Which honestly makes the most sense right now because most ships are leaving late from port anyways and u will still have internet most of Sunday . . . so u can either upgrade Monday for like $55 or wait until Tuesday for less.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigwake said:

We are locked in our room , zero care. My spouse has covid and I'm - 've waiting all day to get off of the tin can so I at least can catch a flight ? Spouse has insurance and will work from NCL's slum dog hotel . "Way to go NCL!"

I rarely comment on these situation but wanted to here.  I am so very sorry this has happened to you and your spouse.  This is horrible.  I am so glad you have insurance even though I am sad you had to use it.  A little story.

In August my wife and I were booked on another brand for our first cruise in two years.  Prior to that booking, like everyone else we were cancelled 5 times.  I got really good at rebooking quickly.  A skill set I wish I did not have to learn.

8-days prior to this cruise, my wife was diagnosed with Break Through Corvid. We had to cancel and lose 50% of a expensive fare.  I was so bummed out.  We ended up cruising four weeks later.

Looking at your situation, my wife and I were lucky.  Sure we were disappointed, but what you and others are going through is awful.  Nobodies fault really.  Everyone wants to cruise safely and stay healthy during this very turbulent times.  

I hope your spouse has a very mild case and it up and Adam quickly.  So sorry again.

• Like 1

Curious if any others who booked air through NCL and was able to change the booked return? I spent 3 hours on hold for American Airlines last night before giving up. This morning we booked our own flight home on Monday. Trying to at least salvage some vacation time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdawg954 said:

So the key to this is, once you redeem your 250, you can no longer upgrade it.  You also need to have at least 5 days of Unlimited Internet to purchase an unlimited plan.

So if you cruise Sunday to Sunday, you can purchase the unlimited plan on Tuesday at a 5 day rate.  They will give you $125 from your 250 minute plan as credit towards 5 days of unlimited internet.  I believe when i looked the total would of been like $28 on Tuesday for the rest of the cruise.

Which honestly makes the most sense right now because most ships are leaving late from port anyways and u will still have internet most of Sunday . . . so u can either upgrade Monday for like $55 or wait until Tuesday for less.

Thank you for the info @kdawg954. That's exactly the info I was looking for.  

Edited by donnaOK
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, prov2727 said:

Not true. We were less than 24 hours from embarkation. All payment is being return to the original form of payment AND same amount as future cruise credit.

Did you get something  from NCL saying we get refund plus same amount  as FCC?   I can't see that on letter we received.   Can you  please  post for us. 

Yes, the less than 24 hour notice of cancellation  was tough on us all.  I was prepared for possible quarantine onboard but blindsided  by receiving  cancellation after arriving in Miami.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vacationut said:

Curious if any others who booked air through NCL and was able to change the booked return? I spent 3 hours on hold for American Airlines last night before giving up. This morning we booked our own flight home on Monday. Trying to at least salvage some vacation time. 

Oh no!  I'm surprised, i thought NCL would've arranged that for you... cant believe they didn't.  That's just wrong.  Since you considered staying down for a few days anyway, couldn't you just have kept the original flight home?  Or did those original flights all get cancelled when the cruise was cancelled?  I hope you will at least get to enjoy the next few days in the South.  Great temps this time of year!

31 minutes ago, styxfire said:

Oh no!  I'm surprised, i thought NCL would've arranged that for you... cant believe they didn't.  That's just wrong.  Since you considered staying down for a few days anyway, couldn't you just have kept the original flight home?  Or did those original flights all get cancelled when the cruise was cancelled?  I hope you will at least get to enjoy the next few days in the South.  Great temps this time of year!

After the cruise was cancelled but before they issued air home I called and asked to push it a few days out. By then we decided to have a vacation anyways. They said they couldn't do anything until things were issued. After we got the email about the Jan 5 flights, I called and they said since it was ticketed they couldn't change it and to call AA and they might help. I assume NCL cancelled the Jan 14 flights when they issued the Jan 5 ones. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, donnaOK said:

@kdawg954 is correct. We asked for something to be done about our wifi situation, and they said they'd "see what they could do". When we were moved to a new cabin, we had 250 more minutes that we had to split up over 4 days, with no option to upgrade to unlimited

Edited by chuckhendo2

17 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Did you get something  from NCL saying we get refund plus same amount  as FCC?   I can't see that on letter we received.   Can you  please  post for us. 

Yes, the less than 24 hour notice of cancellation  was tough on us all.  I was prepared for possible quarantine onboard but blindsided  by receiving  cancellation after arriving in Miami.

In writing, it states a full refund in the manner you paid it, as well as a future coupon, unless you already have a coupon from a previous cancellation. Nothing about a double refund. 

On 1/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Fredric22 said:

I wonder if this has to do with extremely high case levels on Aruba and Curacao?  But you would think NCL would have came up with an alternative itinerary if this was the case.  

I’m under the impression the crew was hit hard.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'll be damned. I could have been wrong on this too. I just don't see how NCL can pull that one off, but stranger things have happened.

It says plain as day, OR

You get a refund OR your FCC

34 minutes ago, halos said:

It says plain as day, OR

You get a refund OR your FCC

Correct. I asked a rep whose discretion it is to issue a refund OR the FCC. They said you have to fill out a form from their website and submit it to guest services. I'm waiting to see what happens on my 1/23/22 cruise out of NOLA but I noticed the "OR" and wondered the same thing.