Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

16 hours ago, amby6063 said:

only question, are they firm on having to drive thru? We won’t have a vehicle with us of course and hopefully I don’t need to get an Uber to sit and wait while we all get tested haha. 

I don’t know if they are firm with drive thru. I’m thinking yes because all the CVS’ in my area (San Gabriel Valley) have drive thru windows for pharmacy services which is also where the tests are conducted. There are signs that say “No walk up service”. If you’re testing for Covid, most likely they don’t want you inside the store. 

Leaving on June 11, from Barcelona on the Regal Princess. Has anyone done a Covid test at the port? According to Princess website, need to take a test the day prior to boarding. We are flying on the 9th and spending the 10th sightseeing. Really don’t want to do another test at we are doing one on the 9th before flying and it’s not how I want to spend my day in Barcelona as I’ve never been their. Also, I know I can get a home test that I can do at the hotel, but not sure how reliable the connection will be and language. Princess does say they will offer complimentary testing at the ports but when I call to check on this no one seems to know what I’m talking about.

At a Meet and Greet in December on the Enchanted, a couple said that they had appointments scheduled at Walgreens which is a drive up service only.  They didn't have a car so waited outside Walgreens and finally asked 2 young women if they would drive them to the Pharmacy drive through window. They did offer cash to the young women.

• Like 1

I think there's an issue as the government stops guaranteeing payment effective April 20th. My insurance pays for 1 test per week, it's just finding a local available test now that a lot of Minute Clinic sites are closing. I've now found 10 sites within 20 miles but only 3 are doing antigen tests still & have available appointments. Prices range from $25 - $180 with results from 1 hr to by next day. I understand it's relatively little compared to the cruise but it's not on the corner / can't just walk there. Hope it's better by September 1st 

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Cruise lines have to be extra careful. One huge outbreak and all hell would happen. Cruising is much different than air travel or train travel. Vaccinations are going to be required for a long time and testing probably for most of this year 

I think they could move to a slightly more relaxed protocol, similar to many major venues, which would require proof of vaccination or a negative test, but not both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

I think there's an issue as the government stops guaranteeing payment effective April 20th. My insurance pays for 1 test per week, it's just finding a local available test now that a lot of Minute Clinic sites are closing. I've now found 10 sites within 20 miles but only 3 are doing antigen tests still & have available appointments. Prices range from $25 - $180 with results from 1 hr to by next day. I understand it's relatively little compared to the cruise but it's not on the corner / can't just walk there. Hope it's better by September 1st 

I’m worried about the April 20th cutoff but hopeful that because we made the appt prior to the 20th we might still squeak in? Otherwise we might have to see if we can find antigen tests I guess. Or else buy those proctored ones? I’m going to think positive and hopefully we can get it done on the Tuesday, and if not we have a couple days to get it all sorted out. Can’t wait for true post covid vacations. I’ve had many sleepless nights worrying about testing before our flight and then again before the cruise. 😓

5 hours ago, amby6063 said:

I’m worried about the April 20th cutoff but hopeful that because we made the appt prior to the 20th we might still squeak in? Otherwise we might have to see if we can find antigen tests I guess. Or else buy those proctored ones? I’m going to think positive and hopefully we can get it done on the Tuesday, and if not we have a couple days to get it all sorted out. Can’t wait for true post covid vacations. I’ve had many sleepless nights worrying about testing before our flight and then again before the cruise. 😓

Almost everyone are dropping the Covid protocols now.  I think the cruise lines will be forced to drop these ridiculous protocols soon 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

Almost everyone are dropping the Covid protocols now.  I think the cruise lines will be forced to drop these ridiculous protocols soon 🙂

If you want to go to a live theater show here you need to show proof of vaccination and wear a mask

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If you want to go to a live theater show here you need to show proof of vaccination and wear a mask

I've heard rumors (from 25 yo in it) that the Philharmonic is dropping booster requirement but not vax & mask. Have tickets for 5/13 but 16 yo granddaughter is dragging her feet on getting the booster. 25 yo grandson will watch her while I'm on a cruise & reinforce it 

21 yo is currently on tour (28 shows in 40 days) and everyone is being tested 2×week. 

5 hours ago, memoak said:

In Minneapolis the major theaters dropped all Covid protocols.  It won't be much longer until the cruise lines are forced to make some changes.

5 minutes ago, travelhound said:

In Minneapolis the major theaters dropped all Covid protocols.  It won't be much longer until the cruise lines are forced to make some changes.

It will not be until after the Alaskan season for sure. Canada insists on 100% vaccinated cruises and insists on proof of tests. No cruise line is going to give up all that revenue

From the Princess website: Radeas offers an at-home antigen test kit ($45 each), which can be ordered and shipped to your door for free in five-to-seven business days. The kit includes a telemedicine consultation. Orders can be shipped within one month of your cruise date. Order your Radeas test kit online^.

Has anyone done this test and popped on the Majestic Princess in Vancouver? I am asking SPECIFICALLY about this test and NOT the SOLD OUT Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack. We fly 5/20 and the cruise leaves out of Vancouver 5/21 and I'm panicking about the Radeas test being okay. 

I have a question in respect to both U.S. and Canadian requirement for Covid testing. 

We will be sailing on the Discovery Princess, round trip to and from Seattle.  There is one stop in Victoria and in addition, we did book a combination bus and train ride that does travel into Canada.  

We do know the regulations in respect to cruises that start in Canada.  But... considering that our cruise will start and end in the United States are we required to have the Antigen Test 3 days or 2 days prior to boarding the Discovery Princess in Seattle. 

I have it in writing from customer relations and my CVP that: 

"You can take an Antigen or PCR test within 3 days because you are fully vaccinated and got your booster,

Our health protocols just states

Voyages that embark in Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 2 days for Antigen
  • Within 72 hours for PCR"

4 hours ago, memoak said:

It will not be until after the Alaskan season for sure. Canada insists on 100% vaccinated cruises and insists on proof of tests. No cruise line is going to give up all that revenue

I would be happy to skip Canada 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I have a question in respect to both U.S. and Canadian requirement for Covid testing. 

We will be sailing on the Discovery Princess, round trip to and from Seattle.  There is one stop in Victoria and in addition, we did book a combination bus and train ride that does travel into Canada.  

We do know the regulations in respect to cruises that start in Canada.  But... considering that our cruise will start and end in the United States are we required to have the Antigen Test 3 days or 2 days prior to boarding the Discovery Princess in Seattle. 

Good day, stevenr597,

I've had to provide the correct answer to this a few times.  I live in Victoria, BC, and are long time Princess cruisers, and will give you the latest and correct requirements regarding Canada effective April 1, 2022.

To quickly answer your question, since your cruise embarks/originates in the USA, you must follow your US CDC and the Princess cruise lines requirements for negative COVID-19 testing prior to boarding in Seattle.  These are located in the Princess website FAQs under Testing Requirements.  If you are "Up to Date" in your vaccinations, both PCR and Antigen are within 3 days, and if "Fully Vaccinated", within 2 days for Antigen, and within 3 days for PCR.  (Note:  since you are not embarking/originating your cruise in Canada,  eg. Vancouver, Quebec City, etc, you do not follow Canada's pre-embarkation rules at all.  It is that easy!).

Now, the good news.  Effective April 1, 2022, the Government of Canada (Transport Canada/Health Canada) stated, pre-entry (COVID-19) tests are no longer required for Fully Vaccinated travellers  ENTERING Canada by air, land (rail), or water (marine vessel).  Simply put, this means when a cruise ship ENTERs one of Canada's ports, (eg. Victoria) no COVID testing is required for Fully Vaccinated travellers (there are very limited exemptions.) 

As an aside, FYI, if you enter Canada by air or land, you may be selected for mandatory random PCR testing.  But not on your bus excursion into BC and Yukon from Skagway, so no worry there.

I read in an article that the executives at White Pass and Yukon Railway will take the train to the border only this year, and probably next year in 2023 take it into BC and the Yukon Territory.  However, there will still be bus tours, etc, crossing the border this year.

https://khns.org/yukon-relaxes-border-rules-for-tours-but-not-enough-for-white-pass-and-yukon-route-railroad

https://yukon.ca/en/news/yukon-railway-route-cancelled-2022-season 

And last, you will need to fill in your info into ArriveCAN app or online (I prefer the app) a few days before boarding your ship in Seattle.  You can sign up for it now and enter your passport and vaccination information.  A few days before boarding, ArriveCAN will allow you to enter your travel and quarantine plan information, etc.  If you chose to read further into my lengthy saga, I give an example what to put in for your quarantine plan.  It is very easy to do.  And you'll need ArriveCAN for your bus tour into Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

To sum, for your cruise, all you need to do "Canadian" is to fill in the ArriveCAN app or online.  THAT'S IT!  So easy.

NO Canadian testing required since effective April 1, 2022, pre-entry (COVID-19) tests are no longer required for Fully Vaccinated travellers  ENTERING Canada by air, land (rail), or water (marine vessel).

Unfortunately, there are too many Cruise Critic members posting incorrect answers and mis-interpreting what they read.  And they keep adding confusion, too.  They know who they are.  Also, what added to the confusion and frustration were the cruise lines websites not updating the new Canadian requirements for cruises originating/embarking in Canada in a timely manner.  With some nudging, Princess finally changed the old "Voyages that include Canada" to the correct "Voyages that embark in Canada," shortly on or after April 5, 2022.  Then they finally updated the pre-embarkation testing for cruises that originate/embark in Canada for a negative antigen test from the original 1 day to the new 2 days, effective April 1, 2022, in their April 11, 2022 update!

And adding to the confusion is that 99% of the Government of Canada websites regarding cruises in Canada are not, I repeat, NOT updated.  One of the few updated sites because it must be kept updated is the ArriveCAN site, in addition, to the new Transport Canada order that gives the correct information for cruises originating/embarking in Canada.  That being said do not rely on the Government of Canada websites at this time.  I even saw one website that was 50% right and wrong.  It had the correct within 2 days for an antigen test if embarking/originating a cruise in Canada but in the text had the old outdated requirement of testing before entering/disembarking in Canada that was the requirement before April 1, 2022.  And people are still posting the old requirement and believe it is correct!  Go figure, eh!  It was like watching a dog chase its tail!        

And do not confuse "Entering a Canadian port for a port of call", where there are NO testing requirements, to that of "boarding a cruise ship for a cruise that originates/embarks/begin/starts in Canada (eg.  Vancouver, Quebec City, Montreal, a Canadian city on the Great Lakes, etc), where just like the USA, there are pre-embarking tests in Canada, too.  Remember, every country is different in their requirements.  For anyone to enter USA by air, you have to have a PCR/Antigen test within one day of entering the USA, since December 6, 2021, which can be difficult to do.  Canada does not have any testing requirements, (with some exemptions).

Ok, continue on if you wish, at your own peril, to get the mostly complete picture.  If you choose to venture forward for another 5 or so minutes, grab a nice glass of wine or a cold beer, lay back in your favourite chair, and no snoring aloud!

Where you read San Francisco put in Seattle or LA for this return voyage.  Or if your first port of call is Vancouver put in that vice Victoria.

Quick story.  I went down to Ogden Point in Victoria where the cruise ships dock when the first cruise ship of the year, HAL Koningsdam, docked in Victoria.  I spoke with two lovely American couples and asked them if they had any problems entering data into ArriveCAN, they said no, entered it, submitted, got their receipt, took a screenshot, and that was it, very easy to do.  I then asked them if they knew there was no COVID testing required to enter Canada, they said yes, of course we know,  we are from Chicago not California! 

And for those of you who know us, Zenny and I are scheduled to do about 93 days (3 months) cruising Alaska/BC with Princess and Cunard QE this summer out of both Seattle and Vancouver barring any more cancellations.  We'll put into practice the above soon in May and try to keep up with any more changes, but will report any major issues, and hope you do, too. Maybe we'll see you onboard.

Cheers,

Mike

Victoria, BC  

In short, for your cruise embarking in US, San Francisco, and having a Port of Call in Canada, Victoria, BC, the only Canadian requirement is to download the mandatory ArriveCAN app or go online, set up an ArriveCAN account, enter the information required when within a certain time, submit, get a receipt with an I, V (or A), take a screen shot of your receipt, and show it if you are asked.

That's it!

Now the info of why that's all that is required for Canada for this cruise.  Long but everything you need to know for your cruise.

But first I'll inform you that 99% of the Government of Canada websites with respect to the new requirements for cruise ships have NOT been updated.

However, if you were boarding a cruise ship for a cruise that originates in, begins in, starts in, embarks in Canada, then there are specific Transport Canada and cruise line testing requirements for pre-embarkation before starting your cruise, for example, in Vancouver, Quebec City, Montreal, a Canadian city in the Great Lakes, etc.  That document, effective April 1, 2022 is up to date and is one of the few.  This is the same as a cruise that originates in the US, your US CDC and cruise line have testing requirements for pre-embarkation.

But your cruise originates in the US, in San Francisco, so you follow your US CDC and cruise line pre-embarkation testing requirements.  (Canada's pre-embarkation testing requirements have no bearing here).  Your testing requirements for cruises that embarks/originate in the US are in the Princess FAQs, updated April 11, 2022.  (And if you were boarding a cruise that embarks/originates in Canada, but you are not, Canada's pre-embarkation in Canada testing requirements are just below the US testing requirements).

Now a separate issue than above.  Your cruise that originates in San Francisco has a scheduled Port of Call visit, in Victoria, BC, on your way back to San Francisco, to satisfy your government's PVSA.

You are now going to ENTER Canada, and your Port of Entry, this is the first port of arrival in Canada, is Victoria, BC.  Now the good news!

Effective April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land (rail), air, or water (marine vessel).  Since you are entering Canada by water, a cruise ship, if you are fully vaccinated, you do not require any testing!  It is just that easy.  This is mentioned in the updated ArriveCAN app and website, which I will address later.

Now the bad news.  As I mentioned, 99% of the Government of Canada's websites with respect to the new requirements for cruise ships, effective April 1, 2022, have NOT been updated.  Canada's requirements changed significantly within three weeks finally ending April 1, 2022.  Not only were the Government of Canada's websites not updated in a timely fashion, but also, all the cruise lines websites were not, as well, that resulted in confusion and frustration.  Princess, with a little nudging, has its testing requirements for cruises originating/embarking in Canada updated and so has Holland America.  There are still minor errors but the major ones regarding testing are current as of today.  But again, you are not embarking/originating in Canada.

Many, and I mean many Cruise Critic members have been posting outdated and incorrect information regarding the above and including some Government of Canada outdated links.  The document/link I mentioned above about cruise requirements for cruises that originate/embark in Canada from Transport Canada is correct, and the ArriveCAN links and app are updated, too, but not the others.  There is one link that is 50% updated with respect to the new testing requirements for cruises originating in Canada, but the part about cruise ships visiting Canada for a Port of Call still states you have to be tested before entering Canada, which is incorrect!

And important to note that before the new cruise requirements came into effect, April 1, 2022, Canada's first iteration of cruise requirements dated March 7, 2022, stated before entering and arriving in Canada cruise passengers had to take molecular PCR and antigen tests, and also had to do so before disembarking!  That requirement was quickly rescinded 10 days later, March 17, 2022.

And it is that requirement stated above that has stuck in people's minds thinking it is still in effect, which it is not as of April 1, 2022,  as NO testing is required entering Canada by land (rail), air, or water (marine).

ArriveCAN

And lastly, yes, for all travellers entering Canada it is mandatory to use ArriveCAN app or online.  I use the ArriveCAN app as it is easy to use.

And yes, you must use ArriveCAN even if you decide not to go ashore in Victoria!

A direct quote from the ArriveCAN website:

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

Actually, it is within 72 hours for entry by air and land, and about an extra 24 hours (96 hours) by marine before embarking your ship in San Francisco that you can start entering your travel, etc, information.  And up to 8 travellers can be in one submission with certain requirements.

Important:  Ensure you use the latest version of the ArriveCAN app before entering information.  After downloading it, create your ArriveCAN account, then you should be able to upload your passport and proof of vaccination to get it out of the way.  Use the "saved traveller" or else you'll have to keep re-entering your travel documents and proof of vaccination, etc.  Then before approx 96 to 72 hours of boarding your ship, the app will let you enter your other data such as your quarantine plan, etc.

For your quarantine address, since your cruise does not end in Canada, but you have a stop in Canada, ArriveCAN help says to enter your Cabin as your suitable place of quarantine, and to do this by selecting the "Other" field for destination description.  I would enter that as Ruby Princess cabin D402, for example,  and use the following address for Ogden Point terminal where the ship docks in Victoria.

Ruby Princess Cabin D402 (enter your cabin)

185 Dallas Rd

Victoria, British Columbia

V8V 1A1

What we know:

1.  Effective April 1, 2022, the Government of Canada has eliminated COVID testing for fully vaccinated travellers to enter Canada  by air, land (rail), or water (marine).  This means when a cruise ship enters one of Canada's ports, no COVID testing is required for fully vaccinated travellers (very limited exemptions).  In this case entering Victoria, BC.

2.  NOT required for this cruise as your cruise is NOT originating/embarking in Canada, but if you are in the future starting your cruise in Vancouver, Quebec City, Montreal, Canadian city on the Great Lakes, etc, then effective April 1, 2022, in accordance with Transport Canada's Ship Safety Bulletin No. 18/2021 (modified April 1, 2022), passengers embarking in a cruise ship originating in Canada need to provide one of the following negative COVID-19 tests before boarding the cruise ship (paraphrased):

Within 2 days for an Antigen test

Within 72 hours for a molecular (PCR) test.

3.  For cruises originating in Canadian Ports:  must use Government of Canada's and cruise line requirements for negative COVID-19 testing prior to boarding.  NOT for this cruise, though.

4.  For cruises originating in US Ports:  must use US CDC and cruise line requirements for negative COVID-19 testing prior to boarding.  Yes, for this cruise.

5.  It is mandatory to use ArriveCAN for entering Canada.  Yes, for this cruise.   From the ArriveCAN website:

If you don't submit your information through ArriveCAN

If you don't submit your information through ArriveCAN, you may be denied:

• boarding if arriving by air or by cruise ship
  • entry into Canada if crossing at a land, rail or marine border crossing (if you are a foreign national travelling for discretionary purposes)

Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act and foreign nationals eligible to enter Canada under another entry exemption (such as foreign work, study, compassionate grounds) will not be denied boarding or entry, but you:

• won't be eligible for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption
  • may face additional delays at the border for public health questioning
  • may be subject to fines or enforcement action

And any mention of being selected for Random Testing on arrival is only for travellers entering Canada by land or air.  Not if you enter Canada by water (cruise ship).

6.  And, 99% of the Government of Canada websites with respect to the new requirements for entry or cruise ships have NOT been updated.   You will find at the very top or somewhere on a Government of Canada website with respect to entry into Canada or regarding cruise requirements something like this: 

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Then everything below it or some of the information below it is the old outdated information or it is a combination of old and new.  And that is what people are quoting from!  "But it says this or that or this is what I heard, etc." when in fact it is incorrect.  So, be very careful.

If the website says for cruises embarking/originating in Canada that the antigen test is within 1 day, and not 2 days, it is outdated.  And the big one, if the website states you must have a COVID test before entering or docking or disembarking in Canada, the website is outdated.  And if the website states that for embarking/originating in Canada the antigen test must be within 2 days of embarking, which is true, but somewhere in the text it says you must have a COVID test before arriving or docking in Canada, which is not true, since no testing is required since April 1, 2022; the website is partially correct.

7.  Lastly, All the above is subject to change depending on Canada health requirements, etc.

Ok, that should do it for this cruise.  If you hear or someone quotes or says you must have a COVID test prior to entering Canada by air, land, or water (cruise ship), you are ready to say, No, that is incorrect;  that requirement was rescinded on March 17, 2022, and effective April 1, 2022 no testing is required! etc.  LOL!  You are now good to go.

ArriveCAN link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

Help for ArriveCAN:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

New Transport Canada Ship Safety Bulletin for cruises originating in Canada for testing, quarantine, etc. A good read:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So in the testing protocols on Princess it states that if "Up to Date" With Vaccines, which I am (2 Vaccines and 2 Boosters) the Antigen test is ok'd to be done within "3" Days, same as the PCR. I'm just sailing locally out of LA on a closed loop cruise and wondering if anyone here has actually had their Antigen test accepted 3 days out or had any problem with that. I can make appointments for either but a little worried the PCR might be slower getting results. Usually just do the 2 day antigen but that option is not available to me right now. 

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Mike & Zen,

Thank you for your amazing and detailed post regarding Canada requirements. We are fully up to date (vaccinated, boosted) and are traveling on the Anchorage to Vancouver route in early June. As I understand it now, we can get either PCR or Antigen  3 days before the cruise to satisfy Princess (and the 72 hour rule for PCR testing is no longer applicable). Thank goodness!

Since we are flying back to the U.S. immediately after the cruise we are aware we need, as of now, a covid test to return to the U.S.

Since Princess has some language on their website that does not definitely guarantee testing will be available at the pier after disembarking, we will probably bring the covid tests we  can do with telehealth monitoring and do it before we disembark.

The one thing I am wondering is what we put in the ArriveCan app regarding our quarantine plan. Princess is required to arrange and pay for quarantine facilities once we disembark if we test positive. So, do you have any thoughts for appropriate verbiage to put in ArriveCan for our quarantine plan? 

1 hour ago, erber said:

Mike & Zen,

Thank you for your amazing and detailed post regarding Canada requirements. We are fully up to date (vaccinated, boosted) and are traveling on the Anchorage to Vancouver route in early June. As I understand it now, we can get either PCR or Antigen  3 days before the cruise to satisfy Princess (and the 72 hour rule for PCR testing is no longer applicable). Thank goodness!

Since we are flying back to the U.S. immediately after the cruise we are aware we need, as of now, a covid test to return to the U.S.

Since Princess has some language on their website that does not definitely guarantee testing will be available at the pier after disembarking, we will probably bring the covid tests we  can do with telehealth monitoring and do it before we disembark.

The one thing I am wondering is what we put in the ArriveCan app regarding our quarantine plan. Princess is required to arrange and pay for quarantine facilities once we disembark if we test positive. So, do you have any thoughts for appropriate verbiage to put in ArriveCan for our quarantine plan? 

Mike & Zen, I second the THANK YOU for those details. I am in the same position as Erber here, cruising Whittier to Vancouver (mid-May),  so now realize now we can do an antigen test 3 days before embarking (in the morning before we fly). Same question for ArriveCan. My 'quarantine plan' is to go where Princess has contracted for quarantining. Thanks so much for the accurate info!

Edited by Buckeye10640

Thank you for the detailed explanation, but now I am confused, on the web site it states: 

Testing Framework

All passengers 5 years of age and over will be required to provide a pre-embarkation test prior to being on board the following vessels:

• A large cruise ship that is a Canadian vessel operating anywhere
  • A large or small cruise ship that is a foreign vessel operating in Canadian waters; and
  • A small cruise ship that is a Canadian vessel docking at ports outside of Canadian waters

It goes on to say:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected from the person at least 10 days and no more than 180 days before the person initially boards the cruise ship.

Am I understanding this incorrectly, if using an antigen test is everyone boarding the ship not required to follow the 2 day rule?

You've clearly stated you have 3 testing options:

1. PCR 72 hrs before 

2. Antigen 2 days before

3. Positive molecular test (only done on those who've recently recovered from covid)

What's confusing??

Adding: there are 2 types of tests:

1. Diagnostic tests (PCR & Antigen)

2. Antibody tests (molecular test)

To further confuse you, there are 2 types of PCR: Rapid NAAT & the longer lab PCR

But all you probably need to know is to get tested as you posted. Think of it as 'Canada doesn't recognize / promote boosters yet' so just follow FULLY VACCINATED regs

Edited by Ombud

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

You've clearly stated you have 3 testing options:

1. PCR 72 hrs before 

2. Antigen 2 days before

3. Positive molecular test (only done on those who've recently recovered from covid)

What's confusing??

Adding: there are 2 types of tests:

1. Diagnostic tests (PCR & Antigen)

2. Antibody tests (molecular test)

To further confuse you, there are 2 types of PCR: Rapid NAAT & the longer lab PCR

But all you probably need to know is to get tested as you posted. Think of it as 'Canada doesn't recognize / promote boosters yet' so just follow FULLY VACCINATED regs

My question was "if using an antigen test is everyone boarding the ship not required to follow the 2 day rule?" So the answer is YES??

I used the information in this link:  https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022 

Edited by CdnCrooser

Mike & Zen,

One area of still continued confusion is related to this link where it talks about pre-entry test requirements in the event you are on a cruise ship that at any point docks in Canada. This provides the the more restrictive testing requirements -- 2 day antigen test rule and the 72 hour rule for PCR test instead of 3 days. This is where it is so confusing. Does this apply because we will be on a cruise that docks at the end in Vancouver? Or,  is it superceded by the April 14 regulations about vaccinated travelers not requiring a pre-entry test and therefore we can go with the Princess statement that if vaccinated and boosted we can get an Antigen or PCR test within 3 days of boarding in U.S.?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise