Gem 1/19

terry8551

Terry8551 - I am also on the Gem for the 1/19 trip. We were sure looking forward to cruising and getting out of the snow and cold (-20 deg F tomorrow morning) but we are probably 70% sure we will do a POM cancelation and get a FCC. There is just too much uncertainty right now. 
I hope you have a great trip. I would love to hear about it. 

I was on the Gem last week and it was lovely,

however, by the end of the cruise we were feeling more anxious about COVID, NYC subways being cancelled, etc. We did not mind wearing masks and felt most people complied with the order.  This week, the Gem was only able to stop in Orlando and missed SC and GSC, if that makes a difference.

We also cruised in October 2021 and that trip was incredible- empty boat, no kids, fantastic experience overall- this last trip was not nearly as relaxing. By the end of the Gem cruise there were many people coughing and sneezing, and I would guess that if they had tested people getting off, many would be positive.  I saw I. The other thread that a bunch of people have since tested positive at home, too.  It was a risk we were willing to take when we purchased the tickets, but given all the changes in the last two weeks, I don’t think I’d go again in the next week or two.

We have another cruise scheduled in February on the Dawn and we are most likely going to cancel before the end of this month. It seems maybe later spring might be better- fingers crossed!

I was also on the Gem last week and 3/5 of us tested positive within 48h of disembarkation.  No symptoms when we were still onboard.  We had a great trip and I do not in any way blame NCL or the ship- we knew it was a risk we were taking since Omicron is like wildfire.  I think NCL did their best with precautions and sanitization.  

• Like 1

We’re on the Gem on the 19th also. Hoping they would cancel it so we could get cash back instead of the POM FCC. We have other trips planned & are not sure we could cruise again before May 2023. Plus, we’re staying 4 days in New York before the cruise to go to a couple of shows. Everything is cancelable. Thank goodness! Hope to see everything the port! 

• Like 1

Just off the Gem today. There were no production shoes offered last week, but they had four guest entertainers and everything was operating as usual except for the kids clubs. The ship was only about 1/3 full, so service was generally good except for Cagney’s for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Sixtytwo said:

Quick Gem question...does Gem have a forward observation area including a bar?

The Gem has the Spinnaker Lounge on deck 13. It does have a bar and their are windows all around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sixtytwo said:

Quick Gem question...does Gem have a forward observation area including a bar?

Here is a Youtube video by Camping Coastie of sister ship Norwegian Pearl Spinnaker Lounge done after 2017 dry dock.  Videos for the Gem were very very old.

23 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Here is a Youtube video by Camping Coastie of sister ship Norwegian Pearl Spinnaker Lounge done after 2017 dry dock.  Videos for the Gem were very very old.

Great video, kjquilts! I will definitely make use of the Spinnaker during those 6 sea days!

Insider's tip to the Spinnaker Lounge - if you plan to spent time there on those long sea days with your iPad, tablet or smart/iPhone, laptop or Chromebook, etc. to access unlimited WiFi or watch pre-loaded contents offline, look around & pick one of the lounger/chair in front of those giant picture windows, there are a limited number of outlets that you can plug into/connect - and run/charge your devices.  I can't remember now whether a 110v to 220v adapter plug (standard US 2 or 3 prone to 2 round pins, not a converter) was needed but most seasoned global traveler carry it, usually.  Or, bring along a power brick / rechargeable USB battery bank. 

The other observation area is the Bridge Viewing Room, Deck 11 Fwd Portside - open dawn to dust on sea days - wave to the folks on duty behind the glass partition, on their watch.  Check out the ship's guardian Mermaid there. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, joyy7403 said:

We’re on the Gem on the 19th also. Hoping they would cancel it so we could get cash back instead of the POM FCC. We have other trips planned & are not sure we could cruise again before May 2023. Plus, we’re staying 4 days in New York before the cruise to go to a couple of shows. Everything is cancelable. Thank goodness! Hope to see everything the port! 

The most recent POM offering says you can request cash instead of FCC. I believe it was in section #5 of the numbered list in the POM offer.

• Like 1

They cancelled the last two ports but they are scheduled to be traveling back to NYC over 4 days, so it's still going to be nearly a full length cruise (arriving back the 18th rather than the 19th).  Kind of weird.  They spent two days at St. Martin and missed the other four ports (St. Thomas, Grand Turk, Tortola and Puerto Plata, DR).

27 minutes ago, CruisingComumbus said:

They cancelled the last two ports but they are scheduled to be traveling back to NYC over 4 days, so it's still going to be nearly a full length cruise (arriving back the 18th rather than the 19th).  Kind of weird.  They spent two days at St. Martin and missed the other four ports (St. Thomas, Grand Turk, Tortola and Puerto Plata, DR).

Cruise Mapper now indicating that the Gem will arrive on 1/19 at 8am ??

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

It's going to be a long, slow cruise into a snowstorm, if they're not careful. That can be a really bumpy ride.

If you go to windy.com, the track of Izzy ( just love how they now give winter storms a name ) will be ahead of the Gem, waves and the wind will subside. Also if they track closer to the coast after Cape Hatteras it should be a smooth ride north. Anyone who sails out of NYC in the winter has experienced a nor'easter or two :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:03 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

If you go to windy.com, the track of Izzy ( just love how they now give winter storms a name ) will be ahead of the Gem, waves and the wind will subside. Also if they track closer to the coast after Cape Hatteras it should be a smooth ride north. Anyone who sails out of NYC in the winter has experienced a nor'easter or two :classic_ohmy:

I personally go to the NOAA surface maps. They currently forecast atleast gale force winds from around Virginia to New York through Tuesday morning.

Edited by Snowrose