Live Review Apex 1/8/2022 - 1/15/2022 Virtual Cruise Plenty of Pictures.

BennyBrun

This is such great news you’re able to access the CC board forums to include uploading all these pictures using your Basic Surf package! Hopefully, Celebrity has tweaked their Xcelerate Basic Surf internet service provided in their non-suite AI perk package fleet-wide to provide an internet service folks had come to expect prior to the C19 shutdown back in March 2020. One can hope anyway …

When you have an extra moment, it would be interesting to see what kind of internet speeds are you experiencing? Here’s a speed test link if you don’t have one. When we were on the Apex, we were averaging around 2 mbps with the streaming package.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is such great news you’re able to access the CC board forums to include uploading all these pictures using your Basic Surf package! Hopefully, Celebrity has tweaked their Xcelerate Basic Surf internet service provided in their non-suite AI perk package fleet-wide to provide an internet service folks had come to expect prior to the C19 shutdown back in March 2020. One can hope anyway …

When you have an extra moment, it would be interesting to see what kind of internet speeds are you experiencing? Here’s a speed test link if you don’t have one. When we were on the Apex, we were averaging around 2 mbps with the streaming package.

https://www.speedtest.net/

I tried it but I kept getting an error for upload… I guess it’s too slow for the test but I got a download speed.

AD757D27-8357-47BA-AED1-418F5EC60ECD.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I tried it but I kept getting an error for upload… I guess it’s too slow for the test but I got a download speed.

AD757D27-8357-47BA-AED1-418F5EC60ECD.jpeg

Thanks!! I’m going to start asking OPs on other live threads on different ships to see if this “new” capability during prime time with the Basic Surf package is unique to the Apex or does it seem to be an enhancement that has been implemented recently fleet-wide?

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Day 1

After  speaking with several crew members including security, the number of passengers on board is settling a little under 1200.

Thanks for letting us follow along. Nice pictures. We sail Feb 5th. Excited and nervous. 😀😀

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

Day 1

iLounge … I figure someone will be asking. 

Appreciate the pictures of the iLounge.   Can you ask or advise what models of iPads and iWatches they have on board.   When I sailed in October everything was pre-shutdown so were a couple generations old and not discounted.

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Following along.  Enjoyed your Mardi Gras review.  We were on MG in October and were looking forward to another cruise on her next week, but decided to cancel.  We have been contemplating trying Celebrity.  Can't wait to hear about your cruise! 

Thank you!  It is nothing like the Mardi Gras.  It is such a relaxing low key with a luxurious vibe to it.  Polar opposite of the Mardi Gras.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Appreciate the pictures of the iLounge.   Can you ask or advise what models of iPads and iWatches they have on board.   When I sailed in October everything was pre-shutdown so were a couple generations old and not discounted.

I will find out for you but I know that they are not discounted.  Someone asked about discounts and was told no.

Day 1 

Looking around the shops before the comedy show.  For liquor, the prices on Mardi Gras was less than the Apex.  I liked the model

ship but for $69.95 I don’t think I will get it as a dust collector for my desk.

868A7F4C-415D-46CB-9669-59BECF2A045B.jpeg

EC8D7E17-CD6C-47D7-95CF-D3A5C6297586.jpeg

BE650DB0-D7EB-4C4E-B20D-8A1C1984EE80.jpeg

4F6B223A-8E66-4515-926C-EE8FF2990821.jpeg

75F3EC78-5A96-482D-873F-F82CF9EB5844.jpeg

B817A8F6-AD58-42DB-8429-70AF020201D3.jpeg

D224AACF-CBC1-4BDF-AF6B-4EDC146E29EA.jpeg

30F5F29B-34C8-445D-B370-8B6812EF85D5.jpeg

3C6C1213-A3AA-44DC-850F-0CBDCAA3FBFC.jpeg

E83715BB-8656-450F-9EA9-C03E506369AD.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I will find out for you but I know that they are not discounted.  Someone asked about discounts and was told no.

Thanks -  I don't mind if they don't discount except I would not pay the original List Price for a 2 generation old iPad Pro.   Seems no one else did as they had a huge supply.    I heard in November they were discounting their old stock and getting new inventory. 

I have a huge OBC for some upcoming cruises and thought about buys some for the GrandKids

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ev98 said:

@BennyBrun Thanks so much for the live review! We unfortunately had to cancel this exact sailing and I am pretty down about it. We've rebooked for April but I will vicariously follow along and wish best health to you and your travelling party.

Some questions if you get the opportunity, and don't mind:

• Is your cabin one of the ones with a sofa only, "trundle bed" or a "single sofa bed"? There were a few missives when Edge launched as to whether using the "trundle bed" was like sleeping in a drawer, but I know a lot of people on the roll call were only parties of 2 and might not be in those rooms. On some deck plans this is listed as "single sofa" or "double sofa".
  • What does cash pricing look like for bottles/draft beer at Craft Social? We will have the "Always Included" package so I think we can get things up to $9, but wondering whether it's worth upgrading to the premium package onboard (despite one of our party not drinking much - I'm sure my wife and I can make the upgrade worthwhile if there's a decent beer selection.)
  • Firsthand experience with Eden entertainment? (I know you said "no shows" - but is that everything, even later in the evening?) I also don't like intense audience participation.
  • Do they have pen pricing in the Montblanc store readily available, or is it one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" situations? 🙂

Enjoy your voyage!

So in our room we have a sofa bed.  It is not a trundled bed.  

I will get to craft social and take some picture of menu for you.  So stay tuned to the thread.

We have a reservation for dinner there two times in this cruise and I was told when we made the reservation today that there are no entertainment at all at Eden during dinner.  I didn’t ask about after dinner but I will post tomorrow when we are there for dinner.

I have not found the Mont Blanc store yet but I will look and check it out.  Please check later threads for pictures.

I am so sorry I can’t reference back later on to this post to quote because I don’t know how good/bad the Wi-Fi will be.

• Thanks 1

Enjoying your commentary and photos. Thank you.  We loved our last cruise before the pandemic on the Edge in February 2020, and  have been looking forward to getting back to sea on the Apex on February 5.  We are having a difficult time deciding whether to cruise or cancel; I will be following along, vicariously enjoying your experience as well as gathering insights. 

Have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ev98 said:

Firsthand experience with Eden entertainment? (I know you said "no shows" - but is that everything, even later in the evening?) I also don't like intense audience participation.

The entertainment in Eden is generally one of the musicians/singers/bands that are onboard playing in various venues throughout the cruise. They do Silent disco in there some nights, other nights there's a DJ spinning. There's also several shows, Night of Dreams, Night of Enchantment, Night of the Arts,Night of the Year which are various acts incorporating the musicians, singers, dancers, acrobatics and other entertainment staff.   

Edited by kwokpot

47 minutes ago, ConnMom said:

Enjoying your commentary and photos. Thank you.  We loved our last cruise before the pandemic on the Edge in February 2020, and  have been looking forward to getting back to sea on the Apex on February 5.  We are having a difficult time deciding whether to cruise or cancel; I will be following along, vicariously enjoying your experience as well as gathering insights. 

Have a fantastic cruise.

Thank you so much.  You should make the decision that will make you feel relaxed and comfortable since it is a vacation for you.  There is no right or wrong decisions.  Yes there are risks and the cruise experience is a little different but I don’t think it is nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  The reduced passenger count actually made this cruise very unique and I am glad we got to experience it because I don’t think we will be on another EDGE CLASS ship that will have more staff than guests.

• Like 1

Day 1

smooth embarkation process, extremely friendly crew member, beautiful ship, masks were worn by almost everyone I saw while moving around indoor areas, 1065 passengers onboard,  while you are sitting you can eat and drink without a mask, comedy show in the theater tonight, live music at Grand Central with dancing, and lots more entertainment that we just don’t have time for, delicious food at Tuscan with lots of space to social distance.  I have to say that it has been an amazing cruise experience so far.

• Like 1