2 couples, 1 positive prior to boarding

We are traveling with another couple.  What happens if the other couple tests positive and can’t board?  I believe they get future cruise credit.  Can we get future cruise credit too?  We don’t want to travel without them.  Our reservations are linked and we have adjoining rooms.  

Following this. I was under the assumption that if anyone in your "party" tests positive, you are free to cancel your sailing up until you board. I doubt HAL would want people who have co-mingled together prior to boarding to get on the ship after having been exposed. We are in a similar situation next week, traveling with my mother and brother in a cabin/booking that is linked to ours. We wouldn't want to go without them, and vice-versa. 

32 minutes ago, 0106 said:

It is two separate bookings but we will have been traveling together for the 48 hours prior to the cruise.

I don't know how HAL  handles it, but on DCL, if two reservations (linked or otherwise) who've been traveling together prior to arriving at the port, and one person on either reservation tests positive, both parties are denied boarding with option of full refund or future cruise credit.

From the HAL web site (link below):

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will not be permitted to board, together with their family members and close contacts, and should not travel to the ship.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit as defined in our COVID-19 Protection Policy.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

• Like 8

Will be calling tomorrow.   We are all boosted.  I am tested weekly for my job.  We have no problem testing before the cruise but if one couple can't go, the other couple doesn't want to go either. 

Probably going to cancel our 2/13 Panama Canal cruise. One of us is very nervous about being forced into a 10 day asymptomatic quarantine after being tested in order to transit the canal.  

25 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Will be calling tomorrow.   We are all boosted.  I am tested weekly for my job.  We have no problem testing before the cruise but if one couple can't go, the other couple doesn't want to go either. 

Probably going to cancel our 2/13 Panama Canal cruise. One of us is very nervous about being forced into a 10 day asymptomatic quarantine after being tested in order to transit the canal.  

Sounds like the Zuiderdam cruise?

15 hours ago, 0106 said:

We are traveling with another couple.  What happens if the other couple tests positive and can’t board?  I believe they get future cruise credit.  Can we get future cruise credit too?  We don’t want to travel without them.  Our reservations are linked and we have adjoining rooms.  

I think if you have cancel for any reason insurance would work. I don't think you could just cancel because you friends can't go. Maybe you can ask HAL to move it to another cruise but I don't know what their timeline is for requesting a move. Call HAL and ask the question.

12 hours ago, 0106 said:

The new variant does not discriminate whether you are boosted or not, or even had COVID before, it

is very contagious.  Described by most as flu-like, with not feeling well for 3-4 days, with many also testing positive asymptomatic. 

13 hours ago, 0106 said:

Very smart.  I would avoid any Panama Canal cruise at this time like, well, the plague!

igraf

Unable to get through today.  Left a phone message for my PCC,  sent her 2 emails, tried to access the chat function, no agents available.  Will try again tomorrow. 

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can contact someone at HA, I would appreciate it.

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

Unable to get through today.  Left a phone message for my PCC,  sent her 2 emails, tried to access the chat function, no agents available.  Will try again tomorrow. 

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can contact someone at HA, I would appreciate it.

I think you just stay on the line without entering their extension number.

PCC called by this evening.  If one couple tests positive, they get FCC and the other must sail without them.  The 4 of us discussed the situation and decided to continue on with our plans to sail the Canal on 2/13.  We got an incredible price and 2 side by side cabins when we booked.  We look forward to fewer passengers and great service.

(We bought N95 masks at Home Depot today to replace our cloth ones and will be wearing them Every time we leave the house until we sail!)

• Like 2

Wow. I'm a little shocked by this. I would think if you are traveling with another party and someone in that party tests positive, you will have been exposed to them, so it might only be a matter of time before you get COVID as well. Not a good thing to bring on board! I thought I read somewhere that if you test positive, don't even go to the ship. If that's the case, how would HAL know who tested positive and who didn't? I mean, you have to show a negative test, but you don't have to show a positive one, right? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CruiseTee said:

Wow. I'm a little shocked by this. I would think if you are traveling with another party and someone in that party tests positive, you will have been exposed to them, so it might only be a matter of time before you get COVID as well. Not a good thing to bring on board! I thought I read somewhere that if you test positive, don't even go to the ship. If that's the case, how would HAL know who tested positive and who didn't? I mean, you have to show a negative test, but you don't have to show a positive one, right? 

While not definitive, the language does say:

"It is designed to assist guests who, as a result of being suspected of having COVID-19 or testing positive for COVID-19, may be unable to travel to embarkation, may be denied boarding, may be quarantined on board or disembarked early."

IMO a valid case could be made if you were a close contact to someone who tests positive. In the Q&A, it's stated they can request proof of a positive test:

"While not automatically required, we reserve the right to request proof of a positive test result. This program shall not be applicable to a guest that makes any false statements to the cruise line as to such individual’s COVID-19 status.  The cruise line reserves the right to revoke any of the goodwill benefits provided in this program in the event of discovery of such false statements. "

• Like 1