Caviar on Board

TV Dad

As long time Seabourn cruisers, my wife and I are used to caviar on demand. We're planning our first Silversea cruise this summer. The Silver Spirit. Will caviar be available on board? If so, Will there be an upcharge?

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, ronrick1943 said:

I’m happy they have caviar on the ship—-hows the quality of the caviar?

IMO, after two attempts.....very poor and poor. 

Firstly, the photo above and elsewhere imply that you will be opening a sealed jar.  It is not sealed and the jars arrive approx 80% filled from a larger container.  Normally, I would say tin.   The brand Ars Italica and caviar and oscietra are the words on lid of jar.  Which, in itself is strange labeling for the product.  My fault for thinking it might be ocsetra.   If it is, they've got me fooled.   But it is caviar, and the masses seem to go for it.   

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, saminina said:

IMO, after two attempts.....very poor and poor. 

Firstly, the photo above and elsewhere imply that you will be opening a sealed jar.  It is not sealed and the jars arrive approx 80% filled from a larger container.  Normally, I would say tin.   The brand Ars Italica and caviar and oscietra are the words on lid of jar.  Which, in itself is strange labeling for the product.  My fault for thinking it might be ocsetra.   If it is, they've got me fooled.   But it is caviar, and the masses seem to go for it.   

That’s not good—-why would they service in an open jar that was refilled…how do you know how clean that jar is……..I’d like Silversea to respond to this—after all this put’s a maybe I won’t be ordering caviar after all.

Order it, just to confirm my statement.   If 100% of your caviar consumption is land based or ship restaurants,  you likely have never opened a jar.   So how would you know that caviar is always filled to the brim in a sealed jar, or tin?

Edited by saminina

We've had caviar quite a few times, ship board. We've never had a jar or tin. When ordered via room service or in a restaurant, it comes in a little dollop, along with the trimmings. And what about when it comes on a canape, pre dinner? Do you scrape it off because you didn't see the tin/jar? If so, you can pass yours on to me....haha!

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

That’s not good—-why would they service in an open jar that was refilled…how do you know how clean that jar is……..I’d like Silversea to respond to this—after all this put’s a maybe I won’t be ordering caviar after all.

If it was in a small bowl or ramekin, would you trust that it was clean before the food was put in it? Why would you doubt this jar is clean? 

I have never seen a Silversea representative respond to a post here. 

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We've had caviar quite a few times, ship board. We've never had a jar or tin. When ordered via room service or in a restaurant, it comes in a little dollop, along with the trimmings. And what about when it comes on a canape, pre dinner? Do you scrape it off because you didn't see the tin/jar? If so, you can pass yours on to me....haha!

Exactly.......I refer you to post number six.....haha!

Welcome to what is being served today on Moon.

I've never had a problem with the product served as dollop on SS.  It's the new free caviar policy/product that is a problem for me.

Edited by saminina

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If it was in a small bowl or ramekin, would you trust that it was clean before the food was put in it? Why would you doubt this jar is clean? 

I have never seen a Silversea representative respond to a post here. 

Once a jar is open and serviced to someone it should never be used again period-the top lid can’t be cleaned like a ramekin…..just the way it is.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Friends, with all that is taking place in our world today, this is surely a First World issue and is incongruent with Lent.  

Not meaning to offend but everything about cruising is a first world issue and not everyone follows the Christian calendar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

…surely a First World issue and is incongruent with Lent.  

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

…not everyone follows the Christian calendar.

And here I thought we were talking about clothes dryer residue.  Minds are interesting things.

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...

Just returned from Silver Moon.  Our Butler offered to bring caviar every evening to our suite, which I found quite unusual.  Two jars an evening came as promised. Although lids were on the jars securely, it was apparent they had been refilled.  When I asked, our Butler acknowledged that they keep the jars and refill them from a big container.     It’s a bit deceiving.  Seems like a better option is to offer good quality product, even with a surcharge   Just my opinion.   

1 hour ago, ScottnZelda said:

Just returned from Silver Moon.  Our Butler offered to bring caviar every evening to our suite, which I found quite unusual.  Two jars an evening came as promised. Although lids were on the jars securely, it was apparent they had been refilled.  When I asked, our Butler acknowledged that they keep the jars and refill them from a big container.     It’s a bit deceiving.  Seems like a better option is to offer good quality product, even with a surcharge   Just my opinion.   

I remember many years ago doing a food tour on Seabourn and they showed us the extremely large cans of Caviar from which passengers received their requested caviar in a small bowl. At the time it was Osetra but now the caviar comes from a Thomas Keller affiliated sturgeon farm. 

My point being it makes good environmental and economic sense to still have good caviar but buy it in large containers and serve it in small containers. As long as they clean and sterile the jars after use before re-using.

• 4 weeks later...