Covid onboard latest cruise

tdl60

I read on a different forum yesterday that there is covid onboard the latest sailing among the guests and crew.  I also read that the cruise starting Jan 15 has been cancelled.  We are scheduled to go on the Feb 19 cruise.  I am now nervous about going.  What are other people doing?  Has any one cancelled their upcoming cruise?

Look at the cup half full  ....

Only one passenger that I know of came down with covid and they were placed in isolation with their companion. Crew members who were positive and those they work close with were also isolated. The ship did proceed to Moorea after the fact which is telling us something. The Captain did cut the cruise short one day due to the weather. He wanted to get inside the PPT harbor before the real rough weather came in.

The January cruise was likely cancelled as the ship must maintain enough personal to safely operate the ship. All crew members who were isolated will come out of quarantine in another 5 days and then the ship will once again be fully staffed. Will this effect the January 22nd cruise I have no idea but check with your TA or PG to verify. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

We just got off the ship this morning. With 1/3 of the crew quarantined by our last day, the onboard experience was greatly affected - particularly the dining venues, bar service and the entertainment. I will say that the food quality throughout the cruise was superb and staff were wonderful, as usual. We won’t be vacationing again until COVID is over and in retrospect, I wish we had postponed our trip. While we had a wonderful time with friends, covid added a layer of stress that we all could have done without. 

• Thanks 1

VacayAddict, Thank you so much for this update, I really appreciate.  Our cruise is upcoming as well, and we just don't know what to do.   Your experience helps us to decide.   Wow 1/3 of crew is significant:  great to be on the safe side, yet would definitely affect the cruising experience.  Was there any compensation to travelers as a result of the shortening of the itinerary?

No, the weather and projected high seas was the reason the Captain cited for his decision to skip our second Moorea day and return to Tahiti a day early. We were all allowed to stay on the ship, it’s just that they traded the Moorea day for a second day in Tahiti I guess. 

Interesting. On the last day of our cruise- Jan 4- we were informed that the marina supervisor that was supposed to dive with us was sick. No mention of Covid but we didn’t press for any details. The cruise director Maria made a comment after the Doctor’s piano recital on the night of the 4th that he had a busy, stressful day on the job. Who knows what was going on! The passengers were never informed of any positive cases on board, if there were any at the time.

As a couple, my husband and I were tested 7 times throughout our 2.5 week journey. Some of those tests were required and some we did as status checks along the way. I would not have wanted to be quarantined on deck three of the ship. Eek.

Thank you Fitstylist55 and VacayAddict.  We are divers, too, and our cruise is scheduled for Feb.  

If your divemasters just contracted COVID, that would actually make me feel more reassured for the near future cruises, at least. Difficult to know what to do, final payment is due soon.

stpie:  I just talked to Paul Gauguin Cruises.  The gal acknowledged that this weeks cruise was cancelled but they intend to go forward with the 1/22/22 cruise.  I guess time will tell.

kkalman:  I have already come up with a Plan B should the 1/29/22 cruise be cancelled.

Edited by goldiemom
misspelling
  • Thanks 1

If you have the option to cancel with no penalty, I would really suggest that you reschedule to a non Covid time. The crew worked so hard, but it was difficult for them. Only one restaurant was open. There was no photographer. Some of the Covid protocols were not as strict as I would have liked. There was still the buffet with everyone sharing the serving utensils. Not good. There was also the bowl of ginger outside the restaurant that was not covered and out for several days. So all this, plus having lots of rain, it was not nearly as enjoyable as our past 4 PG cruises. Sorry to be a downer, but decided I had to share our experience. We were on the January 5 cruise.

• Thanks 1

Crusingsfun & Goldiemom: I really appreciate that honest feedback. Thank you so much! 😬 At this point, we would not get a FCC or a refund if we cancel because of how close the 1/29 cruise is. Bummer! But our travel agent talked to PG today and they said they offered either a full refund or a FCC + 10% onboard credit for the folks on the Jan 15th cancelled cruise. So if they cancel our 1/29 cruise, at least we get those options.

Although this cruise is for my 40th birthday and our 10 year wedding anniversary….I think I’m hoping for a canceled cruise! I guess??? 🤣 thanks everyone for helping out.

RLYLVN: hello! I looked up the Paul Gauguin this morning on CruiseTracker.com which shows you where the locations are for all cruise ships. As of this morning, she was docked in Tahiti still so I don’t think it sailed last night as planned. We are on the Jan 29th sailing…really doubting it’s going to sail…

Back in 2020, we waited until PG (Ponant) cancelled our Fiji to Bali cruise, and we were only offered a FCC. While they added 25 percent, by the time we rebooked a cruise that wasn't cancelled, the cost of the same cabin was more than 25 percent extra, and pre and post hotels were much more as well.

Now that the current PG rates no longer include airfare, there's no chance we'll ever book the PG again. We loved the PG on our past cruises, but flying from Florida to the South Pacific is just too expensive. Adding airfare to LAX to the additional airfare to get to the PG and back just doesn't work for us. And we really only wanted to take the Fiji to Bali cruise since we had already done the other PG itineraries. They aren't offered often, and while there's on in 2023, the airfare isn't affordable for us at this point.

• Like 1

Thanks for all comments and information.

Definitely have some concerns with our upcoming cruise on March 5th with our friends. We have to make our final payment next week. French Polynesia has been one of our bucket list trips for years. We were originally booked on the Pacific Princess which was sold during the pandemic and rebooked with PG. We considered moving our cruise to next year and PG said they would move our reservation but we have to pay current market rates which is about 40% higher then what we paid. 

Any future updates are appreciated. It is tough finding out information considering its single ship line. 

On 1/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Now that the current PG rates no longer include airfare, there's no chance we'll ever book the PG again. We loved the PG on our past cruises, but flying from Florida to the South Pacific is just too expensive

Our last few times on the PG we booked our own air.  This allowed us to use Air France's Premium Economy, LAX-PPT.  Granted, I was able to fly us to L.A. from Toronto on points, but the whole thing was affordable for us.  Of course, if Ponant has used the removal of "included" air as an excuse just to jack up prices, then that's a different matter.  (As it stand, I won't book with Ponant at all because of their covid refund policies.)

On 1/24/2022 at 11:28 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I'm moving forward 100% for the March 5th cruise  ... 

We are a group of 6 booked on this cruise, had it booked since 2019 so really hoping this time its a go. Please post any news (good or bad) you may find!