Covid onboard latest cruise

tdl60

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Our last few times on the PG we booked our own air.  This allowed us to use Air France's Premium Economy, LAX-PPT.  Granted, I was able to fly us to L.A. from Toronto on points, but the whole thing was affordable for us.  Of course, if Ponant has used the removal of "included" air as an excuse just to jack up prices, then that's a different matter.  (As it stand, I won't book with Ponant at all because of their covid refund policies.)

Wendy, we have always used Air France, usually in Premium Economy. This last trip on Jan 1 was the worst experience I have ever had in Premium Economy.  The food was inedible.  The crew surly.  The seats did not recline at all.  The back of seat pouch was broken and the life jacket container would not stay shut causing a trip hazard any time we needed to get up. Coming home, we upgraded to business.  A world of difference!!!

14 hours ago, kkalman said:

Does anyone have a confirmation if the Jan 29th cruise is sailing? Is the COVID issue with the crew now over with? Not getting a solid confirmation from PG and the cruise leaves in 2 days…

I spoke with Paul Gauguin Cruises yesterday and was told Jan 29 cruise will sail. 

18 hours ago, gabelle said:

Wendy, we have always used Air France, usually in Premium Economy. This last trip on Jan 1 was the worst experience I have ever had in Premium Economy.  The food was inedible.  The crew surly.  The seats did not recline at all.  The back of seat pouch was broken and the life jacket container would not stay shut causing a trip hazard any time we needed to get up. Coming home, we upgraded to business.  A world of difference!!!

Big difference, for sure.  I think the last time we did this it was in Business as well.  Oh, I remember, we did Business going over, and PE coming back, reasoning that the daytime flight would be bearable.  That was in 2017, however.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Big difference, for sure.  I think the last time we did this it was in Business as well.  Oh, I remember, we did Business going over, and PE coming back, reasoning that the daytime flight would be bearable.  That was in 2017, however.

That must have been a horrible experience. We flew in October 21 hours (two flights) from Toronto to the Maldives on Emirates and the most amazing flight ever. The seats are larger, fully recline, full course meals with actual silverware, complementary alcohol. service was impeccable, every amenity like business class and the list goes on. 

We are just flying coach for our PG cruise March 5th.

19 hours ago, 977HTZ said:

That must have been a horrible experience. We flew in October 21 hours (two flights) from Toronto to the Maldives on Emirates and the most amazing flight ever. The seats are larger, fully recline, full course meals with actual silverware, complementary alcohol. service was impeccable, every amenity like business class and the list goes on. 

We are just flying coach for our PG cruise March 5th.

Why? No, it wasn't horrible at all.  I found the PE on AF quite acceptable, for day-time travel.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, tdl60 said:

I read on a different forum yesterday that there is covid onboard the latest sailing among the guests and crew.  I also read that the cruise starting Jan 15 has been cancelled.  We are scheduled to go on the Feb 19 cruise.  I am now nervous about going.  What are other people doing?  Has any one cancelled their upcoming cruise?

I'm also on Feb. 19 voyage, hope to meet you on board!

4 hours ago, Lukec said:

@MrRandal that's good news. would love updates such as number of passengers and how the excursions go.

No idea on either. I spoke to PGCruises last week and was told the ship was sailing on the 29th, and cruise mapper.com shows she left PPT Saturday night, was in Huahine today and is presently headed to Tahaa. Hopefully good times are being had by all aboard, both crew and passengers.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, MrRandal said:

No idea on either. I spoke to PGCruises last week and was told the ship was sailing on the 29th, and cruise mapper.com shows she left PPT Saturday night, was in Huahine today and is presently headed to Tahaa. Hopefully good times are being had by all aboard, both crew and passengers.

About 150 total pax.flew AF PE and  crew wea OK but plane was old and filthy. Our PG PCR was seveveral hours past due and didn't state brand of test and past all three PG checkpoints. Everyone had mandatory PCR test at PPT arrival and results did not have brand or your name only reference to etis number. Lots of unnecessary pre cruise concerens. 

Food and weather have been great. PG or  Ponant nolonger have relationships  with some of the excursion vendors  including Intercontinental hotels many excursions are no longer available.

No time for edits

I am currently on the PG Jan. 29 sailing.  Only about 150 PAX.  Had a PCR test in Bora Bora with Dr. Azad as I was in Bora Bora a week before the cruise.  All went well and results before we flew to PPT from BOB to board the ship.  Crew wonderful.  Food fantastic.  We have cabin 767.  Nice cabin, but shaking from engines is a bit much at times. Scheduled our rapid antigen test for flight home with medical center on ship.  At airport it is over $100 per person.  Onboard it is only $30 per person.

Massage person stated yesterday that next weeks cruise is cancelled due to low PAX and cancellations.  No idea if it is true.

5 hours ago, Northern Bear said:

For our March 5 trip they have removed the Cook Island stops and have added in Fakarava and Rangiroa in the Tuamotu Islands. Has anyone else had their itinerary changed? Anyone been to these islands and have any "not to miss" items?

I've been to all the islands on the new itinerary several times .... lovely places and we've already booked all of the excursions for our group. Both new islands are best enjoyed out on the lagoon 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

On 2/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, Northern Bear said:

For our March 5 trip they have removed the Cook Island stops and have added in Fakarava and Rangiroa in the Tuamotu Islands. Has anyone else had their itinerary changed? Anyone been to these islands and have any "not to miss" items?

The Cook Islands have been shut down to tourism from everywhere except vaccinated and boosted individuals from New Zealand. The first year of the pandemic they were closed completely. They have protected their population from Covid, although they have destroyed their tourism industry. It's a beautiful place, I'm very happy I was able to visit in 2018 pre pandemic. But you should enjoy your new itinerary, we are booked on the same in September and looking forward to it.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:35 PM, MrRandal said:

The Cook Islands have been shut down to tourism from everywhere except vaccinated and boosted individuals from New Zealand. The first year of the pandemic they were closed completely. They have protected their population from Covid, although they have destroyed their tourism industry. It's a beautiful place, I'm very happy I was able to visit in 2018 pre pandemic. But you should enjoy your new itinerary, we are booked on the same in September and looking forward to it.

Well, they get a lot of their tourists from NZ I would expect already, although adding Australia would be good for them.  I too am glad we got to see if a few years back.

For anybody recently off of the ship. If you took a private tour were there more covid restrictions you had to follow?

We have been told if we take a private tour we will be required to complete an antigen test before being allowed back on board, and we have to take the test every 3 days for the duration of the cruise, all at our own cost.

I have heard this used to be the case but no longer is?

I was on the Jan. 29 sailing.  We took several private tours and two ship excursions.  We never had to take any COVID test to reboard the ship.  We did have to have our temperature taken every time we reboarded the ship. I had heard we would have to take a rapid antigen test midweek, however the only test we had on the ship was the rapid antigen test done on Friday evening so we could fly out to the USA on Saturday.  The ship charged $30 per person for that test.  They did not offer the PCR test on board the ship.  If you need to be tested at the PPT airport, you need an appointment.