Upgrades and Upsells

gbits

With the ships sailing at less than 50% capacity, has anyone whose been on a cruise in the last few months been offered an upgrade or upsell?  Seems like it would be a good PR move for O to move people up in category, especially to suites where the gratuities are higher and the staff will make more.  We have been fortunate to have gotten upsell offers on a couple of cruises pre-covid and hoping we might get one on our 2/7 cruise for braving it out. 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gbits said:

With the ships sailing at less than 50% capacity, has anyone whose been on a cruise in the last few months been offered an upgrade or upsell?  Seems like it would be a good PR move for O to move people up in category, especially to suites where the gratuities are higher and the staff will make more.  We have been fortunate to have gotten upsell offers on a couple of cruises pre-covid and hoping we might get one on our 2/7 cruise for braving it out. 😁

Funny, I thought the same thing that with so many people postponing and cancelling that they might have offered an incentive to keep the cruise.  

1 hour ago, gbits said:

I received an offer a few days before embarkation in mid-December (~700ish pax), but I would not define it as anything special. They offered to switch us to the next level (A2 to PH) cabin for the same price difference that was available for at least the previous 10 months. From comments on our roll call, others had a similar experience.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

I have been blessed by incredible deals.....  so good that I had to see a Priest for the guilt.    That was a few years ago.      Being a realist and understanding  that the cruise industry has ,"taken it in the shorts"  they need to replace revenue.   Thus I would not expect in the next several years for any killer deals or up sells.    Only they might try to sell a higher cabin grade of a location  no one would buy.     That is the risk.   

Many up sells thus might be you getting offered something  that no one in their right mind took.....    If you can deal with that great.!    But the climate  and economy is such that you  probably  wont get a great deal . 

Moral:  be happy  with what you choose and be suspicious of offers to change..

Edited by Hawaiidan

On our Dec.13 Riviera cruise we were offered to upgrade from veranda to concierge for $150 per person.

Considering the cabins are the same size, and the ship was only 55% full, I thought they could do better. Free laundry and bottle of Champagne are not really worth $300 to us..

• Like 1

Folks that see empty cabins and say "why can't they upgrade folks" entirely miss out on the concept of brand standards and price integrity.  If wholesale upgrading becomes the norm, then there goes any hopes of actually selling cabins at their designated price point.

Not what the consumer wants to hear.....but it's what the accountants want to hear.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Folks that see empty cabins and say "why can't they upgrade folks" entirely miss out on the concept of brand standards and price integrity.  If wholesale upgrading becomes the norm, then there goes any hopes of actually selling cabins at their designated price point.

Not what the consumer wants to hear.....but it's what the accountants want to hear.

I get it and yes, we booked where we are happy to be, but given the number of people who appear to be bailing on my and other cruises, it would be wonderful to be "rewarded" for not taking the FCC and rescheduling to next year. If its not happening, we will be happy in our chosen cabin and sailing again.  Was just wondering if that has been the case on the cruises that have sailed at 50% capacity during a pandemic.

Edited by gbits

We were on Marina in Oct, Cruise ended in Tresti. Had a good time on ship, less than 50% capacity. We inquired about staying for next leg, about 10 days. They sales person on ship quoted me prices higher than listed online.... there was no incentive to continue, go figure

• Haha 1

Too, look at this from  the perspective of a customer who paid full price for their cabin class.   How would that person feel to see people offered the same cabin class as his for way less?

Not a good way to insure good long term guests.   No incentive to book early..    Encourage last min bookings.. and creating " rubber rates"   where everyone gets a different one...    Not good business. 

Up-sells should be few and far between even if available.   Airlines are using this now, Hotels too.  The sooner you book the lower the price and the better the choice.; It is called Dynamic pricing.   Price goes up as inventory  goes down and  or time becomes closer and closer to  travel/stay/flight.   This encourages earlier and earlier bookings  and payment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, qballer said:

We were on Marina in Oct, Cruise ended in Tresti. Had a good time on ship, less than 50% capacity. We inquired about staying for next leg, about 10 days. They sales person on ship quoted me prices higher than listed online.... there was no incentive to continue, go figure

The incentive  was there...but not the one you wanted....   What the salesman was telling you is  in the future.. the sooner you buy the better the deal.    Sort of aversion therapy.   You learned a valuable lesson

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

This concept might be working during normal times when ships sail 90-100% full. When the ship is 50-60% full, not offering upgrades is plain stupid. It doesn't have to become the norm, but it can become a norm on half empty ships till things get back to normal.

When we complained about squeaking noise in our cabin and they refused to transfer us to another cabin with ship at 55% capacity, it was plain stupid and very bad customer service. Same with upgrades. You need to evaluate the situation on case by case basis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

This concept might be working during normal times when ships sail 90-100% full. When the ship is 50-60% full, not offering upgrades is plain stupid. It doesn't have to become the norm, but it can become a norm on half empty ships till things get back to normal.

And just why is it "stupid"?  Oh, you mean from the standpoint of the guest, who should get the better room "just because".

Thought problem:  Widespread upgrades are made the norm.  Will folks now start to buy cheaper cabins, thus actually reducing the income to the cruiseline?

There is no economic reason for making upgrades widespread.  Please show me where there is an economic case for it.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

When we complained about squeaking noise in our cabin and they refused to transfer us to another cabin with ship at 55% capacity, it was plain stupid and very bad customer service. Same with upgrades. You need to evaluate the situation on case by case basis.

That's a completely different situation when you have a service issue with a cabin.  It's not the same as "upgrades".  (But nice try at conflation)

• Like 2

I agree with FlyerTalker.  I have learned in my career (which is not in the travel industry) that offering discounts just because it seems to the customer the right thing to do "cheapens the product" in the long run.  It's bad policy. Just because there are cabins available doesn't mean the cruise line should be offering upgrades at reduced prices.  If someone has received a discount or an upgrade in the past, that is great and you should consider yourself lucky. I sure wouldn't come to expect it though. 

• Like 3

No lessons learned. We just spent 29 days on Marina and had a great time. Other persons on ships advised they were extending cruise and they were getting good deals. We have another 3 week cruise  booked a year out.

5 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I agree with FlyerTalker.  I have learned in my career (which is not in the travel industry) that offering discounts just because it seems to the customer the right thing to do "cheapens the product" in the long run.  It's bad policy. Just because there are cabins available doesn't mean the cruise line should be offering upgrades at reduced prices.  If someone has received a discount or an upgrade in the past, that is great and you should consider yourself lucky. I sure wouldn't come to expect it though. 

Offering discounts and offering upgrades at reduced prices is not the same. Celebrity almost always reducing their prices after the final payment which to me is a terrible practice. Luxury lines don't do it, which keeps their product more valuable and doesn't "cheapen" it. We are in a full agreement here.

I was referring to the current (hopefully temporary) situation where ships sail at very reduced capacity, so offering upgrades at reduced prices is a win-win. It doesn't have to become a norm, and it can be done very selectively and smartly (for example, as a reward to the most loyal customers). But offering an upgrade from veranda to concierge "guaranteed" for $150 while regular price difference is around $200-250 is kind of.. yes, stupid. Offering an upgrade from A2 to PH for the same price difference that was available for at least the previous 10 months as someone mentioned is.. yes, stupid, even insulting.

I like Oceania product very much, but it doesn't mean I have to support everything they do.

• Thanks 1

I think there is something more contextual to offering upgrades at this time. 

While it could well be seen as cheapening a product normally (and I agree with that) this is all to do with good long term business. there is something to be said for rewarding loyalty and those who support the line at times like these - whilst cruising during a pandemic is polarising - some people won’t … those that do ARE supporting a business getting back up and running after a long break, during a time when it is a risky thing to do. I do believe there is space within a business model to reward customers for that without cheapening the product. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Offering discounts and offering upgrades at reduced prices is not the same. Celebrity almost always reducing their prices after the final payment which to me is a terrible practice. Luxury lines don't do it, which keeps their product more valuable and doesn't "cheapen" it. We are in a full agreement here.

I was referring to the current (hopefully temporary) situation where ships sail at very reduced capacity, so offering upgrades at reduced prices is a win-win. It doesn't have to become a norm, and it can be done very selectively and smartly (for example, as a reward to the most loyal customers). But offering an upgrade from veranda to concierge "guaranteed" for $150 while regular price difference is around $200-250 is kind of.. yes, stupid. Offering an upgrade from A2 to PH for the same price difference that was available for at least the previous 10 months as someone mentioned is.. yes, stupid, even insulting.

I like Oceania product very much, but it doesn't mean I have to support everything they do.

No....I see it as integrity of the brand and  supporting all those who paid the going rate months ago....   If you paid for hamburger at the market,.  would you expect the butcher  would offer you a filet  because he had a several in the case?        

7 hours ago, ToxM said:

I think there is something more contextual to offering upgrades at this time. 

While it could well be seen as cheapening a product normally (and I agree with that) this is all to do with good long term business. there is something to be said for rewarding loyalty and those who support the line at times like these - whilst cruising during a pandemic is polarising - some people won’t … those that do ARE supporting a business getting back up and running after a long break, during a time when it is a risky thing to do. I do believe there is space within a business model to reward customers for that without cheapening the product. 

Only to a point.... but drastic rewards?    A veranda cabin to a PH?     Imagine, you went to buy a  VW and have been doing it for years,   Car sales are down  so you opt to buy a new car...  and the dealer says.... I appreciate your  business....   here is a Mercedes for  your loyalty....  Are we expecting maybe too much???

images (3).jpg

55 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Only to a point.... but drastic rewards?    A veranda cabin to a PH?     Imagine, you went to buy a  VW and have been doing it for years,   Car sales are down  so you opt to buy a new car...  and the dealer says.... I appreciate your  business....   here is a Mercedes for  your loyalty....  Are we expecting maybe too much???

images (3).jpg

Would it be too much to shift everyone up a grade? Inside to OV, verandah to concierge? 

Maybe I am thinking of upgrading the VW to the next profile up rather than several jumps to the Mercedes. 

I mean the recent changes from Sirena to Marina, everyone gets a balcony….operationally it’s expensive? How much more does it costs to service a balcony compared to an inside cabin? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Would it be too much to shift everyone up a grade? Inside to OV, verandah to concierge? 

Maybe I am thinking of upgrading the VW to the next profile up rather than several jumps to the Mercedes. 

I mean the recent changes from Sirena to Marina, everyone gets a balcony….operationally it’s expensive? How much more does it costs to service a balcony compared to an inside cabin? 

And they don't have to do it for free. If the difference between Inside and OV is $500, offer it for $100-150. Concierge to PH $1,500 difference? Offer it for $400-500. 

Win-win for everyone. 

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Short term pleasure for a few...Long term destructive to the business and betrayal of all those who paid the full rate... 

I mean If I told you that tomorrow the product you were going to buy today was going on sale at 50% off.... would you buy it then?    AND would you trust that merchant if the next week the cut prices again.     I doubt it.

Having  been it the business world If I wanted to  stimulate sales I would announce a price increase and that todays prices were only good for 7 days. and limited to stock on hand......which is running low. !!! 

When you cut the price of a thing  people have a tendency to  anticipate another reduction  and hold off buying.

Your model might work on K Marx cruises for the masses  ( contact Trotsky Travel   Tell em Vladimier sent you)

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Haha 1

While on Riviera (12/13-23/21) at least 4 or 5 passengers with whom I had conversations with mentioned Oceania had tried to get them to upgrade. They did so mostly laughing, saying something along the lines of "They asked if I wanted to go from Level This to Level That and when I said, 'You mean at the same price', they said, 'No, you pay the price of the higher level.'" I remember one saying something like "They tried to call it an upgrade when all it meant was me paying $6000 more for a different room!" Don't remember anyone saying they received any true "discount" on any such "upgrade" as opposed to just paying a lot more for a fancier room. At our 60% capacity, seems like everyone had the room they wanted and didn't want to pay for a superfluous upgrade.

• Like 1

I would have considered going from a PH to an OC at a discount, but we are so happy with the PH on Riviera that now it would have to be a really good discount.  Oceania really hit a home run with the design of this cabin!

• Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, gbits said:

The one thing I learned about my very first cruise ever in this regard was to check for periodic "sales". I booked my Dec 13-23/2021 trip on Riviera on 2/1/21. C-Deluxe Outside for $1899. Then without any notice to me, I saw on Oceania's web site a "President's Weekend Sale", that same month. I called my O rep to complain about the lack of notification, but he just said, "Up to you to find the sales." So I changed to an A4 Concierge that was reduced from $2349 per to $2099 per. (The book price later rose to $2,549 for same room.) Never saw another sale and I was checking weekly and always around every holiday.