Oasis Chartered Cruise During Covid…Do they have to Follow the same Covid Protocols?

BennyBrun

I searched and can not find any any information about chartered cruises during Covid.  Do they have to follow the same health and safety protocols that Royal sets out for the general public cruises?  If they have to follow the rules will Royal enforce those rules or is it the company that set up the charter that’s responsible for enforcement of the rules.  It just seems like at full capacity 2700 ROOMS sold with 35 cancellations, according to NYT article about the 1/16 chartered cruise the pictures on social media is showing how crowded the cruise is.  For example the pool party even though it’s outdoor space it is packed where people are standing side by side with no distance between them not wearing mask.  Wouldn’t this create an issue for the crew?  Or is it a different crew?  If it’s the same crew wouldn’t this create an issue for the later cruises?  I am on a B2B and I am a little concerned about cancelations by the cruise line.  I don’t know if I am allowed to post pictures of the crowd from a public post from the social media site.

According to the article they are following the same protocols as a normal Oasis sailing during these times.  Fully vaccinated and tested.  "Atlantis insists that its vaccination mandate, testing requirements and health protocols are enough to provide a safe environment for guests throughout the voyage."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I searched and can not find any any information about chartered cruises during Covid.  Do they have to follow the same health and safety protocols that Royal sets out for the general public cruises?

Most of the current protocols were set by the CDC, not Royal. The CDC rules are the same for all revenue cruises, whether it's individuals or charter companies paying the cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

Most of the current protocols were set by the CDC, not Royal. The CDC rules are the same for all revenue cruises, whether it's individuals or charter companies paying the cruise lines.

Thank you.  I did not know that so that’s good to know.  We will just have to wait and see if our sailing is a go or no go.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Royal isn’t consistently enforcing the rules that Royal wrote.  For example, the extra masking requirements.  Royal also allowed unmasked people at packed outdoor New Year’s Eve parties even as Covid was surging on their holiday cruises.  (Royal says you are supposed to wear masks outdoors when you can’t socially distance.)

We also have an upcoming B2B and I share your concerns about all their sailings (not just charters.)

• Like 3

I have asked these questions for over 3 weeks now. Some posts/threads have been deleted and others no interest at all. I am on the very next cruise following this chartered cruise. I got a bad feeling about this as the testing requirement was fulfilled on Friday. Yet, a great majority of these passengers were partying both Friday and Saturday nights in Miami. I assume some of these party locations in Miami/South Beach don't have social distancing and masking rules. So these same majority of passengers get on Oasis and start partying from Sunday through Saturday. If anyone believes this cruise will end with a 50 passenger and 35 crew covid positive result, you are truly wishing upon a star for decent results. I hope Royal has 200 + crew ready to be moved to Oasis on January 23rd. Just my opinion. Yet we will just have to wait and see. Buying more popcorn today and awaiting social media and CC posts daily.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, D4 said:

Unfortunately, Royal isn’t consistently enforcing the rules that Royal wrote.  For example, the extra masking requirements.  Royal also allowed unmasked people at packed outdoor New Year’s Eve parties even as Covid was surging on their holiday cruises.  (Royal says you are supposed to wear masks outdoors when you can’t socially distance.)

We also have an upcoming B2B and I share your concerns about all their sailings (not just charters.)

I hear you.  I just felt that if they have a almost full capacity charter their interest should be to protect their crew / staff by at least enforcing the mask rule so that their future sailings won’t be affected since people are packed in on the pool deck partying and dancing.  I know it’s outdoors but when you are basically standing right next to the person dancing and talking it’s just not a good combination.

1 minute ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

I have asked these questions for over 3 weeks now. Some posts/threads have been deleted and others no interest at all. I am on the very next cruise following this chartered cruise. I got a bad feeling about this as the testing requirement was fulfilled on Friday. Yet, a great majority of these passengers were partying both Friday and Saturday nights in Miami. I assume some of these party locations in Miami/South Beach don't have social distancing and masking rules. So these same majority of passengers get on Oasis and start partying from Sunday through Saturday. If anyone believes this cruise will end with a 50 passenger and 35 crew covid positive result, you are truly wishing upon a star for decent results. I hope Royal has 200 + crew ready to be moved to Oasis on January 23rd. Just my opinion. Yet we will just have to wait and see. Buying more popcorn today and awaiting social media and CC posts daily.

I hear you and seeing the pool deck party pictures from last night on the ship where Royal has control over but did not enforce the mask rule it is even more concerning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

I am hearing from people on Harmony and Odyssey that each of their current sailings has less than 35% capacity. Can anyone confirm what is the capacity on the Oasis charter cruise presently?

The NYT confirmed it a few days ago.  2700 ROOMS sold double occupancy on the books with just 35 cancellations.  It is almost a full ship.  The organizers won’t let people cancel because they don’t have the financial power (which I understand) because Royal still wants to be paid according to the contract.

1 minute ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

If you’re sailing right after, and  have the ability to cancel and get a refund, I sure would. This week’s charter crowding sounds like a recipe for a disaster for Royal’s crew and next week’s pax. 

It’s just bad business practice on Royal’s part.  They know what packed ship could do to their crew from Christmas (then the cancellations came) now they are doing it again.  It just causes inconvenience to people who want to go on the cruise to have to deal with a POSSIBLE last minute cancellation when they have control over the charter situation.  ( They should have let organizer off the hook and allow cancellations to reduce the crowd).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BennyBrun said:

I hear you.  I just felt that if they have a almost full capacity charter their interest should be to protect their crew / staff by at least enforcing the mask rule so that their future sailings won’t be affected since people are packed in on the pool deck partying and dancing.  I know it’s outdoors but when you are basically standing right next to the person dancing and talking it’s just not a good combination.

I totally agree with you.  People posted video of a packed New Years Eve deck party on Royal when Covid was raging onboard.  People were crammed in shoulder to shoulder.  Royal clearly didn’t learn from that.

It seems like Royal wrote up these requirements to make cruisers feel comfortable sailing, but they have no plans to enforce them.  It is terrible.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

We were on a charter on Oasis last November 2021 and because everyone was vaccinated no masks were required anywhere on the ship.

1 minute ago, Karter said:

We were on a charter on Oasis last November 2021 and because everyone was vaccinated no masks were required anywhere on the ship.

That was pre-Omicron.........no longer the case now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

The NYT confirmed it a few days ago.  2700 ROOMS sold double occupancy on the books with just 35 cancellations.  It is almost a full ship.  The organizers won’t let people cancel because they don’t have the financial power (which I understand) because Royal still wants to be paid according to the contract.

That's somewhat misleading on the part of the charter company.  Yes, of course Royal still wants to be paid per the contract.  

Let's say it cost the charter company $1M to charter the ship.  That's fixed.  It's up to the charter company to sell enough cabins to make $1M and they hope more than $1M as anything above their cost is their profit.

If 30% want to cancel the charter company still pays $1M.  In this scenario they don't make enough money to cover the cost of the $1M charter.

Like any contract there will be fees to cancel the contract and well there should be.  Royal cancelled cruises to charter the ship.  They did it to me.  I was booked on this date and Royal cancelled my Star Class suite.  They had to offer me a refund or $400 in OBC if I moved to another ship.  Royal incurred costs to accept the charter and now at this late notice they can't allow the charter company to walk away with no fees, Royal can't sell Oasis on a few weeks notice and make enough money to break even.  

So yeah, the charter company took the risk that they would sell the ship to capacity like they have in the past and now they can't weasel their way out of the contract without losing massive amounts of money so THEY are not letting THEIR guests cancel.  

This isn't on Royal, the no cancelation policy is 100% on the charter company.  

While Royal is willing to operate at reduced capacity, the charter company is not.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

We too are on the 23rd sailing and have the same concerns.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  

• Like 3