Alaska - Time in Ports

tx121

We are looking to do a Alaska cruise on the Eurodam or Crown Princess. The Eurodam looked like a good fit since we wanted to see Icy strait and Sitka but then we saw the times in port for Icy Strait which was only from 6pm-10pm. Also in Victoria it is 6pm-11:30pm. Is that enough time in these ports or are they stops where passengers don't get off but the ship stops to refuel or something? 

It is unfortunate timing.  ISP is a beautiful spot, and worth your time to visit.  I would encourage you to eat a big lunch, and hit the ground running when you arrive.  The whale watching there was amazing (and the whale watching boats leave from the cruise ship dock).  There is the zipline, hiking, beach walking, shopping at the cannery, and at least one restaurant that you could have dinner in.

Sorry the timing isn't better.  I am guessing that there is a ship docked at ISP earlier in the day there, and the Eurodam has to wait its turn.

• Like 1

OP, you might consider sailing out of Vancouver, BC to increase your time in Alaska ports.  Bonus is that sailing out of Vancouver takes you through the Inside passage (between Vancouver Island and the Mainland - absolutely beautiful).

Or look at a one way between Vancouver and Steward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP, you might consider sailing out of Vancouver, BC to increase your time in Alaska ports.  Bonus is that sailing out of Vancouver takes you through the Inside passage (between Vancouver Island and the Mainland - absolutely beautiful).

Or look at a one way between Vancouver and Steward.

The downside of sailing from Vancouver is no Sitka. 

We docked at ISP last August on the Nieuw Amsterdam 6-9 pm.  There were many tours offered.  DH and family did a whale watch while I took a wilderness hike...which really was wilderness complete with lots of bear scat!  Our female guide was armed.  It was dark by the time we returned to the ship. 

The walk from the ship to the cannery where the restaurant and shops are is peaceful, with a campfire.

There was plenty of daylight for activities.

• Like 1

Check your dates for when sunset is. If you have a Sept cruise about 1/2 of your stop will be in the dark. 

For the 2021 cruises they spent most of the day in Glacier Bay and then did ISP after that on the same day. To me that stinks. 

sightcrr

You get off the ship in both Icy Strait Point and Victoria. In Icy Strait Point the tribe has built a new dock and it leads to an excursion center. They have golf carts to take those who have trouble walking distances. Once at the excursion center there is a new gondola system that takes you through the trees (not that high up) to another area and, by next year, is supposed to take you to the zip line starting point. Last year the gondola was free to ride but I've read that there will be a charge later on. The neat thing is that the gondola is totally handicapped accessible and DH can just ride his scooter on and enjoy the view. 

You can walk to the cannery building which has small shops and then continue on to the donut stand for hot fresh mini-doughnuts. There is also a lovely paved walkway to Hoonah which is about a mile away. You can spot whales as you walk along. 

In Victoria it's about a 15 minute walk to the downtown area if you want a walk. There are also shuttles available. If you want Butchart Gardens you most likely will want to do a ship's tour. DH (on his scooter) and I walk to town easily. The only issue for us is that the Murchies tea store closes at 6:00 so we miss out! 

Karen