How do you use Princess gift cards?

BlufftonCruisers

17 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

You can use them onboard but every time I have had them applied there has always been issues. It takes a while for them to get correct screen or whatever, & sometimes they have taken the number & it has been applied many hours later

The "problem" is that they have to run the card's info through the land-based office, so it can take anywhere from an hour to a full day if they happen to be closed on shore.

No worries, the credit will be there before you disembark.

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat - you'd think they'd make it easier to use a gift card. If you have the card applied as OBC can you use it to book excursions in advance? They won't take a gift card number there but I can't tell if you can use OBC as I have none. Or are you stuck using the card after boarding no matter what?

42 minutes ago, grizzle-bizzle said:

I'm in the same boat - you'd think they'd make it easier to use a gift card. If you have the card applied as OBC can you use it to book excursions in advance? They won't take a gift card number there but I can't tell if you can use OBC as I have none. Or are you stuck using the card after boarding no matter what?

You can call in and use it for excursions ahead of time

I'm taking $6,250 in Princess gift cards into my TA on Monday. They will be applied toward the final payment of our cruise in May. I never expected to have them this long but all of our cruises kept getting cancelled. We certainly never expected the world to go crazy with this stupid virus.

8 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

If I end up not using all the OBC that I purchased by phone ahead of the cruise with my gift cards, will the unused OBC be refundable or non-refundable?

It showed as refundable in my account 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 5:55 AM, Torfamm said:

It showed as refundable in my account 

So did you actually have some $ not used on your cruise with a balance remaining?  And if so how were the funds returned to you?  Did they send you another gift card?  Thanks for any information, as I have a lot of gift cards to use but don't want to apply too many.

9 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So did you actually have some $ not used on your cruise with a balance remaining?  And if so how were the funds returned to you?  Did they send you another gift card?  Thanks for any information, as I have a lot of gift cards to use but don't want to apply too many.

I used the funds but my understanding is that they would have been refunded to the original gift card(s)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
 I called Princess this morning to use my $500 gift card to purchase 4-device wifi for my upcoming 2 cruises.  The agent successfully used $279.86 for my first 14-night cruise.  After that purchase, my $500 card still has a remaining balance of $220.14.  The Wi-Fi purchase for my 2nd cruise is also $279.86, so I told the agent to use the remaining $220.14 on the gift card first, then I will pay the balance of $59.72 with my credit card. The agent told me to use a gift card for any purchase pre-cruise, the gift card must have sufficient funds to cover the entire purchase.  So I was not able to use that gift card for my 2nd cruise Wi-Fi purchase.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:
 I called Princess this morning to use my $500 gift card to purchase 4-device wifi for my upcoming 2 cruises.  The agent successfully used $279.86 for my first 14-night cruise.  After that purchase, my $500 card still has a remaining balance of $220.14.  The Wi-Fi purchase for my 2nd cruise is also $279.86, so I told the agent to use the remaining $220.14 on the gift card first, then I will pay the balance of $59.72 with my credit card. The agent told me to use a gift card for any purchase pre-cruise, the gift card must have sufficient funds to cover the entire purchase.  So I was not able to use that gift card for my 2nd cruise Wi-Fi purchase.

I have used gift cards to pay for a portion of a shore excursion and had the remaining amount charged to my credit card. I’d try again with a different agent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I have used gift cards to pay for a portion of a shore excursion and had the remaining amount charged to my credit card. I’d try again with a different agent

When she told me it is not possible, then I gave her my credit card to use for the purchase of the 2nd cruise.  Purchase already done, too late to call again and get a different agent.

50 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I took your suggestion and just called Princess.  To my surprise, I got an agent within 5 minutes.  She checked, and said wi-fi purchase falls under "special service", and the entire amount can only be purchased using one card.  She said shore excursions belong to a different category, and not under "special services".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, grizzle-bizzle said:

You cannot book excursions in advance on the website but you can call Princess and they will do it for you. However,  it currently is a crapshoot how long you have to wait to get through  

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

So do you all purchase gift cards or are they given to you as gifts?  Just curious if there is some secret to purchasing Princess gift cards I am unaware of.  

I just saw your question as I was looking for something else.  If you still need an answer to that question, AARP sells Princess (as well as other cruises') gift cards for 10% off.  There is currently a limit of 5 per month with options of $500 gift card for $450 and $100 for $90. It's not that easy to find, but under the REWARDS section. Even if you use a TA, you can still use them to pay off a cruise.

• Like 1