LIVE Suite Review 1/30-2/6: A (Solo) Woman on the Edge

GenerationX

On 2/1/2022 at 7:02 AM, GenerationX said:

It’s rather inconvenient to have to plan to spend a couple of hours of the afternoon everyday in my stateroom letting my phone charge. But I guess that does give me some encouragement to partake of nap time.

You may wish to pick up a battery pack for your next cruise.   I have a couple that are really compact and can recharge on the go and really affordable

image.thumb.png.5aaf66e0f220c7482cce6da1a087454b.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Trying not to hijack this thread--could you start a separate thread with recommended non-alcoholic drinks?  I don't drink alcohol either.  Thanks! 

@Missymo   Please start that thread.   Would love to read about recommendations.

1 hour ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I would like to see a real life review  from an inside cabin rather than a ‘never going to happen ‘ suite . Far more realistic !!!!

Hi CruiseCrew!  Unfortunately, due to a somewhat traumatic childhood incident involving a self locking chifforobe, I’m not personally the right  one to plan and report on a cruise vacation in the closer quarters of the inside cabins or even the oceanviews. Of course, I understood fully that there was a possibility of ending up there in the [knocks wood] worst case scenario of a COVID isolation situation on this cruise and sailed prepared to accept the consequences of taking risk if it came along…but to me that was very different than booking and paying for a vacation intending to spend an entire week in that square footage.

If you’re interested, I think if you search by my screen name, you can find  a couple of reviews that I’ve done in the past where I was sailing in a super basic veranda stateroom (no aqua, concierge, etc.). If it helps at all, I think those reviews reflect that my experience in those far more “realistic” staterooms on an older Celebrity ship (I think both were on Equinox) has been that, on the whole, Celebrity still offers great service, food & beverage and, most importantly at least for me,  a vacation experience that’s worth what I paid (which candidly in those rooms was 4 figures less than I paid for my Edge sky suite on this sailing).  

But full disclosure:  whether on sea or on land, I always adjust my travel expectations based on the amount I spend on the accommodations. Part of what continues to impress me about Celebrity is that no matter what class I’ve booked on their ships, while it’s never a 100% perfect trip, I’ve yet to leave on disembarkation day feeling like I didn’t get an experience worth at least, if not more (honestly pretty much every time I’ve felt like more) than what I paid.  Of course perceived value is also like food and design choices: very subjective.

Again I can’t speak to the inside or oceanview experience but I would be a little surprised to hear  that other than the stateroom square footage and features, the experience would be much different from what’s reflected in my basic veranda experiences, because I’m pretty sure that every cabin from inside through basic veranda, even on E-class, has the same privileges for main dining, main pool, etc.  In fact,  I don’t even think your seapass card shows a difference if you’re in anything lower than concierge class, so I don’t know that general service staff would even know you were in an inside cabin vs. a basic veranda.

But to your point,  I’d be very interested in hearing whether people who have sailed in insides or oceanviews have had drastically different experiences than when sailing in a basic veranda.  I think that would probably be a side topic from this suite review though, so it’d probably belong best in its own separate thread.  If you’d like, I’d be more than happy to be the one to start a separate topic asking people to share their inside and/or oceanview sailing experiences and whether in their opinion they felt treated differently onboard on Celebrity and/or in E-class in particular.  Just let me know! Bon voyage! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Charla - so glad you were reminded about the wardrobe photos - you have such style! (Note to self-quit shopping at Kohls.) I'm loving your posts and taking notes on all your wonderful tips.

Since you are so generous as to share your vacation time with us, I'm going to take you up on your offer to ask questions. We'll be in a SS later this year and I'm intrigued with the Roman tub. Are there steps going down into it? You've posted a couple of great photos, but I still can't tell how easy it might be to get out of the tub.

Also - is the sofa comfortable enough to actually sit on? It looks very low and very hard.

Enjoy the rest of your days and hope you can talk DH into joining you next week - he has to be ready to leave snowy Missouri.

Thank you so much for the style complement!!! Do not stop shopping at Kohl’s though!  A bit off topic but I’ve found some real wardrobe treasures in their clearance racks that I wore for years before they fell apart and they have such a good denim selection! Don’t let the vibrant fabrics fool you. Every non-evening chic dress I’ve worn on this cruise so far cost less than $45.  I love labels, but at the end of the day I never want to end up closet rich and cruise poor!

Back on topic, to your questions:

Unfortunately there is not a step down into the tub.  But there is a handrail right by the door that you can hold while getting in and out.  There is definitely a step over the ledge but I think it’s a much lower and easier to maneuver step than into the sky suite tubs in S and M class.  I think they went more for tub width than depth in E class.  I wish I had a tape measure with me so I could measure for you, but to give a very rough estimate I’m 5 ft 4 inches tall with short legs and the lip of the tub hits me about 3-4 inches below the knee.

To be perfectly honest the sofa is nothing to write home about.  I spent about an hour reading on it today while my veranda was being sanitized and it was fine for that but I wouldn’t want to spend much more time on it.  The coffee table in the suite is also lower than the sofa so if you were sitting there to eat, you’d be pretty uncomfortably  hunched over.

I think the sofa area in pre-refurb S class sky suites had similar issues though. If I remember correctly the only time that sofa ever came in good use for me was the night I made my husband (then fiancé) sleep on it after we were in port in St. Kitts & Nevis and he nearly walked off a pier trying to stare at the occupants of the Victoria’s Secret yacht. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

A very good morning from Honduras CC!

Is anyone doing a live review from the Reflection right now?  If so it looks like our tales will cross paths today!  I wonder if I could manage to sneak aboard and get some pork ramen.

Today’s Things I Love About Cruising Moment:  you can fall asleep in Mexico and wake up the next morning to have breakfast while watching the sunrise over the Honduran jungle. No jet lag or TSA lines required!

While I may not have jet lag, I’m afraid I am dragging a bit this morning. We have an early assembly time for my excursion today and I was in the night club past midnight thanks to the ship’s Roaring 20’s party.  BTW Celebrity, it would’ve been nice to know in advance that this event was gonna happen. I LOVE a good Gatsby party and do own a GORGEOUS flapper dress and could have packed accordingly.  

From now on just to be safe I think I’ll just be sure to pack an outfit for every key fashion decade from the 20’s to present.  

Anyway getting back to the event. It was a very cool blend of show and party with the ship’s production cast performing speakeasy themed numbers first followed by an open dance floor.  Remember that joke I made about doing cartwheels in the next production show? Apparently someone onboard is following my review and came up to me in the Club to challenge me to put my cartwheel where my mouth is. Nope, definitely not. Compared to these guys I would’ve looked like a sea lion dressed in Calvin Klein rolling down a hill.

Even sans gymnastics though, I think I managed to burn off all the calories from my Fine Cut dinner last night.

Speaking of which, that dinner was a very nice rebound from the meh hot food at Raw on 5 the night before.  I had a table right overlooking the grand plaza and got to enjoy the live duet performance while I dined.  I started with the scallop appetizer then I couldn’t decide between steak or lobster so my server arranged for me to have a surf & turf of both, with a side of Parmesan truffle fries.  For dessert I had the warm apple walnut crumble a la mode.

The scallops were tiny but oh so delicious. The chorizo and the sauce they were served in made the dish.  My ribeye wasn’t the best steak I’ve ever had, and I don’t know that it’s better than the Tuscan Grille ribeye on S class, but it was a very good steak, well seasoned and cooked just as I asked.  The big improvement over Tuscan Grille is the plate the steak is served on.  The steak is on a raised center with a moat if you will around the circumference that catches all the steak juice.  All you have to do is cut your piece of steak and swirl it around the plate rim in that big pool of flavor juice.  The lobster was also good and not overdone, but I was glad I got the steak too.  The steak was so good on its own I completely forgot till I was almost done that I’d ordered a side of the black truffle butter to go on it. I put some on my bread just to try and was immediately mad at myself for forgetting to give my steak a massage with it.

As I was eating my steak, the duo in the grand plaza were performing everyone’s favorite song from the Pretty Woman soundtrack (the one that goes “It must’ve been love, but it’s over now.”). I remember thinking “I’ll be singing this song with tears in my eyes on the way to the airport at the end of this cruise!”

For dessert, I had the warm apple walnut crumble a la mode.  I’ve noticed there’s a lot of apple crumble type dishes served around this ship.  This one I didn’t like as much as the one I had in the Tuscan MDR.  I think it was mainly because this one was served with cinnamon ice cream instead of vanilla and the cinnamon in the ice cream was a little too much on top of the cinnamon in the apple mix itself.

The service was quick and friendly and the sommelier Arnold remembered me from my champagne soaked lunch in Le Grand a few days ago and made sure I had a good wine pairing for each course.

Whelp, I think it’s about time for me to finish my much needed coffee and start packing my bag for shore. I’ll check in when I get back from exploring Roatan!

34EA4FF1-0AB6-4DC6-B952-13BE33F33156.thumb.jpeg.67130d6f4cbaa29ad7a00623b3d36154.jpeg

CB557626-344D-45AA-ACF8-73B7100FB9F0.thumb.jpeg.831f826f6aa346edd30d00cb3e0e2bdc.jpeg

487ED570-E0E3-4FF2-9C67-4394E2B944F4.thumb.jpeg.bc83ff9f3598fa20135a62047dae1260.jpeg

59A3E966-E720-4E88-A33E-3D800A3E31D0.thumb.jpeg.128d62200a9f18966a30852a0b745ee1.jpeg

50DDCF5B-336D-4D1D-BC0F-07498ADF9036.thumb.jpeg.b0868ecae7b7736ca3d3b50014366265.jpeg

27856547-FCF5-48CE-8136-E03D28760BDB.thumb.jpeg.1dd05a8182758edda878f010854358e2.jpeg

C54D5918-41F1-4809-AAC2-9B94008E703F.thumb.jpeg.40859ab79ee4290c173f62da2f813dbf.jpeg

4386C28A-F089-40FC-BDE2-F230D54A8DAE.thumb.jpeg.567a012c88c321e0815e3fdfcfce9e9a.jpeg

6D111B58-06AC-4912-8B7A-05445FDDF46E.thumb.jpeg.ea0c8b4ba6c043e906162821fca8d6d8.jpeg

93D20AC7-FE51-47D1-BC5A-E6012855907E.thumb.jpeg.584c445ff371f85509b10f9db5a39fa7.jpeg

3295BAF4-B22F-4022-821F-E0AA3FCDB6FD.thumb.jpeg.03e2107c0a9cf5b012daea3fbdcb00c4.jpeg

9A1612C2-268D-4AAD-B742-A205F1E6F2C4.thumb.jpeg.c8655960a3b54c0ab4810f06fb91cf0c.jpeg

0EAA5ADB-D09C-43EB-9F85-05F891F65F03.thumb.jpeg.c021672ac9834fddac5585ee0944625c.jpeg

D20A7AB7-0D49-40EB-879E-63F4D5AFA0A7.thumb.jpeg.8fe6122a4c96e5f1d69ae79b31ec77f2.jpeg

085EC62E-829A-45E0-8289-FE2C6C0E41DE.thumb.jpeg.8ff780f292719efebe26e13f1012da76.jpeg

• Like 18

Thank you for your wonderful review - you are so generous with your time! For the person who asked about the tub - it is quite a small step down - put it this way my 87 year old mum managed it. 
I’ve been lucky enough to do many cruises - we started in inside staterooms and after a hurricane cruise got a huge discount and managed a balcony. Then last year we did a Sky Suite on Apex and an Owners Suite on Harmony of the Seas (Move up offer which was still cheaper than a balcony would have been normally!). On every cruise the service was excellent and you wouldn’t have known where we stayed. We all choose to spend our money differently and I know I am grateful to be able to enjoy other peoples reviews.

Wendy

• Like 5

On 2/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, KKB said:

That is a cabana

Hi, I reserved a 1/2 cabana for one day on my "Beyond" 9 night cruise in October with my wife. I assume you have 1/2 also?  What did you think of it? Would you do it again ?  I read complaints from people saying too much cross traffic and no view of the pool?  What were your firsthand impressions? (we like fruit skewers and cold water and being treated well by a cabana steward) 

• Like 1

I did the wine glass class years ago and was just amazed how the wine taste changed based on the glass. Of course, my current wine glasses aren't breaking so I can't justify buying new ones for my reisling. Might have to get a bit more careless with them!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mcgeneseo said:

I did the wine glass class years ago and was just amazed how the wine taste changed based on the glass. Of course, my current wine glasses aren't breaking so I can't justify buying new ones for my reisling. Might have to get a bit more careless with them!

My wine glass! I thought bigger was always Better!Amazon.com | Oversized XL Giant Wine Glas (33.5oz) - Set of 2 - Holds a  full bottle of wine each - Fun and Unique Glassware for Holiday Christmas  New Year Birthday or

Edited by kenb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Just for fun, sharing the selfie exchange from my marriage today.  I may be met by a lawyer serving me with divorce papers at baggage claim in STL on Sunday. 

203A2DF9-7F2E-44EC-83D6-1435E12F2A43.thumb.jpeg.62bbedc46e75f3718f10caf8d65a11e3.jpeg

Sounds like you weren't able to convince your hubby to join you for the extra week.  Maybe next time!!!

• Like 1

Good evening from the Sunset Bar!

I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that I haven’t forgotten you!

My morning in Roatan and afternoon of Miami Vices at the Retreat pool really took it out of me today. I was dozing off during my balcony wine and book date (with more yummy surprises from Anastasiia).  

I’ve managed to pull myself together for my dinner in Rooftop Garden, but afterwards I think my night will consist of a brief set of live music in Eden followed by a long bubble bath doing some catch up post writing!

Oh btw, a very sad update on my bid to my better half to turn this sailing into a b2b…I was not successful in getting him onboard with the idea.  Mostly I think due to me having the most terrible luck in my discussion timing…pro tip ladies:

Never try to sell your husband on spending thousands unexpectedly on a vacation, paying your house/pet sitter’s last minute booking rates and asking his boss for a week off work on 4 days’ notice when you’re drinking champagne on your veranda in 80 degree weather while he’s dealing with a winter storm power outage and just had to use a propane torch to thaw the deadbolt on your front door.  

He’ll take a moment to have a deep breath and collect himself and then he’ll speak nicely to you, because he loves you and after over a decade knowing each other he’s somewhat used to your antics and schemes.  But make no mistake, he will have no ear to entertain your nonsense.  None. What. So. Ever.  He will 100% expect you home on Sunday.  Period.

It’s quite windy this evening and I’m a little worried that my salad at Rooftop may blow overboard.  But I’ve already moved this dinner once and I don’t want to do it again. If anyone has any hookups with Captain Tasos and can quickly text him on the bridge and ask him to slow it down a few knots so that I can properly enjoy my dinner, that would be much appreciated! More to come tonight from the Edge!

A7C9319E-8042-4E7B-9BCF-3EABAC827BF2.thumb.jpeg.b1668d9234d43050a792c26d6cd14531.jpeg

249EED96-5117-4BB2-8D16-937EFB73A393.thumb.jpeg.ac60f0e885c8e6bb522d95db696a8713.jpeg

1A39ECF6-1A05-4DDC-B965-D6C34E19DB93.thumb.jpeg.793523ecda0f06fc51654bd5a06202bb.jpeg

C0E0ABEF-E214-41B5-9324-A5EA2B4DEE17.thumb.jpeg.9e4e24a45a37237f91bd1567859c9bab.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, GenerationX said:

<snip>

Back on topic, to your questions:

Unfortunately there is not a step down into the tub.  But there is a handrail right by the door that you can hold while getting in and out.  There is definitely a step over the ledge but I think it’s a much lower and easier to maneuver step than into the sky suite tubs in S and M class.  I think they went more for tub width than depth in E class.  I wish I had a tape measure with me so I could measure for you, but to give a very rough estimate I’m 5 ft 4 inches tall with short legs and the lip of the tub hits me about 3-4 inches below the knee.

<snip>

12 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Thank you for your wonderful review - you are so generous with your time! For the person who asked about the tub - it is quite a small step down - put it this way my 87 year old mum managed it. 
<snip>Wendy

Thank you Charla and Wendy. I'm slightly shorter than 5'4" & slightly younger than 87 and it sounds like I'll be fine maneuvering in and out.

Loved the story about the sofa - your experience verified what I had anticipated - a stylish, yet basically useless piece of furniture that will be used to hold all the extra Kelly Hoppen pillows. Kay

• Like 1

I think I saw a post from someone asking me to share more about my experience with cabana rental on the first sea day.  Happy to oblige!

I booked the half cabana which is for up to 2 people for $150.  Given what Celebrity charges for the bottle of Veuve that comes with the rental it seemed like a pretty fair price.   I think there was also an option to sustitute the champagne for a bottle of higher end white wine (not my fav) or a bottle of Grey Goose vodka and mixers (I didn’t have a death wish).   It also comes with several beers and waters but these perks had less value to me with the premium package.  But being able to order a limited menu from Luminae to the cabana at lunch and afternoon snack time was a nice perk. The Retreat pool deck was so busy on the sea day that having my cabana for a shady, poolside relaxation area was nice even with Retreat access.  

I also had a wine event during the day that day and it was nice knowing that with the cabana reserved when I disappeared from the pool for an hour and a half, I wasn’t forfeiting my shady deck spot. As many others have noted, shade on Edge’s pool decks often isn’t easy to come by, even on this super low capacity sailing.

David and Michael my cabana attendants were great and made sure there was always plenty of ice keeping my water and champagne cold. Given the heat and that it was just me, they told me that for my beer I could just ask them to get me one fresh and cold from the bar anytime I wanted one rather than them making the whole bucket of 6 and having them all sitting out in the heat.

I read a lot of criticism that the cabanas aren’t private enough.  Honestly people walking by didn’t bother me at all.  I mean the whole ship sees my poolside eating and drinking gluttony from 2 different decks when I’m sitting in a regular pool lounger. 

It may also be a product of having spent most of my 20’s well entrenched in the STL and Vegas night club and pool party scenes (no judgement please), but I’m kind of used to exclusive booth areas not being super private.  The (usually way more than $150, even back then) upcharge cabanas and bottle service booths in the clubs and at the Vegas pools were almost always in a pretty prominent location where everyone could see you.  It was part of the “floss” if you will (because after all, what was the point of being in the VIP booth if nobody SAW you partying in the VIP booth??? Who ever heard of a super private/hidden VIP cabana area? That’s so laaaame!) Ah I was so young! 😂 But anyway, the point I was making was I think the location makes sense in the context of Edge targeting a younger audience.

I also really didn’t think they were that exposed.  As you can see in my pics, there  are big hedges blocking the cabanas from the walkway so people walking at a normal pace could only see me for like 2 steps/seconds as they passed by the gap where I came in and out. Hardly even enough time to gawk unless someone was REALLY dedicated to being nosy.  But it was open enough for people who I’d met onboard to recognize it was me sitting there and stop for a quick social distanced chat just like we would’ve had if I been out on the main part of the deck, which I liked.   (This may come as a shock but I tend to make new friends quickly on a cruise ship.)  Another perk in current times:  the small step up into the cabana area also seemed to make it so that when people did stop to chat, they naturally avoided stepping up into what they perceived to be my space, which made it easy to politely maintain social distance early on in the cruise without having to ask anyone to kindly back off so I didn’t get contact traced.

Another criticism I’d heard was regarding the view from the cabanas.  The magic carpet was up a deck higher the day I had mine, so I had a gorgeous view of the ocean.  If I’d been staring into the magic carpet instead, I’d definitely have been pretty disappointed.  I could hear the live band music from the pool really well in the cabana but if I wanted to actually watch the goings on at the pool, I had to get up and walk around the cabana area and stand by the pool as there’s not really a view inward towards the pool. So if you’re someone who’s really into watching the cornhole competitions, pool olympics, water aerobics participants, etc., that’s probably a bigger draw back.

On the whole I was personally happy with the experience and found it very relaxing and would book it again at the $150 price point. Now, my understanding is that the full cabana size rents for double ($300) for up to 4 people, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think with doubling the price, they double the amenities (e.g, you only get one bottle of the champagne and 6 beers whether you’re in the $150 or the $300 cabana, the $300 one doesn’t get 2 bottles of champagne and 12 beers).  If that’s the case, I think the full cabana would be a tougher value proposition for me.  

It might have been something hubby and I would propose doing with a fun new couple we met onboard and wanted to hang out with for a day, but probably NOT if it meant double the amount of people sharing the same amount of beverages at twice the price.

Sharing some pics from my cabana time below (I think I may have posted a couple of these before but the good life runs together so quickly, I apologize for any repeats). As always if anyone has any follow up questions please don’t be shy!

8A19F3B4-2ADE-4A4D-AA9C-DE7868A66708.thumb.jpeg.401dd1e9553cd364e30eee3a90bc065f.jpeg

280F993A-4672-4FF1-82D1-E2FFE8A46DF1.thumb.jpeg.c5edcf1c09fcea86a4ca0afcf9021d40.jpeg

F17F8466-B1B4-44A9-881A-A3D999FB72DE.thumb.jpeg.2a78889e8b51aeb412c684b8ebaf1a0c.jpeg

B3CDC7D7-7BCA-4D01-B083-B735E176C0F5.thumb.jpeg.be3f66e783c9940ad269fa6194cfced2.jpeg

EB2565AD-60C4-48BB-9781-84AC48522A63.thumb.jpeg.16226934c9cc6080ca10aea4acb619df.jpeg

88061D5F-6844-4B44-8276-21D6D0E32288.thumb.jpeg.9979fe5c738e1bde99f02ac98591712e.jpeg

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I think I saw a post from someone asking me to share more about my experience with cabana rental on the first sea day.  Happy to oblige!

I booked the half cabana which is for up to 2 people for $150.  Given what Celebrity charges for the bottle of Veuve that comes with the rental it seemed like a pretty fair price.   I think there was also an option to sustitute the champagne for a bottle of higher end white wine (not my fav) or a bottle of Grey Goose vodka and mixers (I didn’t have a death wish).   It also comes with several beers and waters but these perks had less value to me with the premium package.  But being able to order a limited menu from Luminae to the cabana at lunch and afternoon snack time was a nice perk. The Retreat pool deck was so busy on the sea day that having my cabana for a shady, poolside relaxation area was nice even with Retreat access.  

I also had a wine event during the day that day and it was nice knowing that with the cabana reserved when I disappeared from the pool for an hour and a half, I wasn’t forfeiting my shady deck spot. As many others have noted, shade on Edge’s pool decks often isn’t easy to come by, even on this super low capacity sailing.

David and Michael my cabana attendants were great and made sure there was always plenty of ice keeping my water and champagne cold. Given the heat and that it was just me, they told me that for my beer I could just ask them to get me one fresh and cold from the bar anytime I wanted one rather than them making the whole bucket of 6 and having them all sitting out in the heat.

I read a lot of criticism that the cabanas aren’t private enough.  Honestly people walking by didn’t bother me at all.  I mean the whole ship sees my poolside eating and drinking gluttony from 2 different decks when I’m sitting in a regular pool lounger. 

It may also be a product of having spent most of my 20’s well entrenched in the STL and Vegas night club and pool party scenes (no judgement please), but I’m kind of used to exclusive booth areas not being super private.  The (usually way more than $150, even back then) upcharge cabanas and bottle service booths in the clubs and at the Vegas pools were almost always in a pretty prominent location where everyone could see you.  It was part of the “floss” if you will (because after all, what was the point of being in the VIP booth if nobody SAW you partying in the VIP booth??? Who ever heard of a super private/hidden VIP cabana area? That’s so laaaame!) Ah I was so young! 😂 But anyway, the point I was making was I think the location makes sense in the context of Edge targeting a younger audience.

I also really didn’t think they were that exposed.  As you can see in my pics, there  are big hedges blocking the cabanas from the walkway so people walking at a normal pace could only see me for like 2 steps/seconds as they passed by the gap where I came in and out. Hardly even enough time to gawk unless someone was REALLY dedicated to being nosy.  But it was open enough for people who I’d met onboard to recognize it was me sitting there and stop for a quick social distanced chat just like we would’ve had if I been out on the main part of the deck, which I liked.   (This may come as a shock but I tend to make new friends quickly on a cruise ship.)  Another perk in current times:  the small step up into the cabana area also seemed to make it so that when people did stop to chat, they naturally avoided stepping up into what they perceived to be my space, which made it easy to politely maintain social distance early on in the cruise without having to ask anyone to kindly back off so I didn’t get contact traced.

Another criticism I’d heard was regarding the view from the cabanas.  The magic carpet was up a deck higher the day I had mine, so I had a gorgeous view of the ocean.  If I’d been staring into the magic carpet instead, I’d definitely have been pretty disappointed.  I could hear the live band music from the pool really well in the cabana but if I wanted to actually watch the goings on at the pool, I had to get up and walk around the cabana area and stand by the pool as there’s not really a view inward towards the pool. So if you’re someone who’s really into watching the cornhole competitions, pool olympics, water aerobics participants, etc., that’s probably a bigger draw back.

On the whole I was personally happy with the experience and found it very relaxing and would book it again at the $150 price point. Now, my understanding is that the full cabana size rents for double ($300) for up to 4 people, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think with doubling the price, they double the amenities (e.g, you only get one bottle of the champagne and 6 beers whether you’re in the $150 or the $300 cabana, the $300 one doesn’t get 2 bottles of champagne and 12 beers).  If that’s the case, I think the full cabana would be a tougher value proposition for me.  

It might have been something hubby and I would propose doing with a fun new couple we met onboard and wanted to hang out with for a day, but probably NOT if it meant double the amount of people sharing the same amount of beverages at twice the price.

Sharing some pics from my cabana time below (I think I may have posted a couple of these before but the good life runs together so quickly, I apologize for any repeats). As always if anyone has any follow up questions please don’t be shy!

8A19F3B4-2ADE-4A4D-AA9C-DE7868A66708.thumb.jpeg.401dd1e9553cd364e30eee3a90bc065f.jpeg

280F993A-4672-4FF1-82D1-E2FFE8A46DF1.thumb.jpeg.c5edcf1c09fcea86a4ca0afcf9021d40.jpeg

F17F8466-B1B4-44A9-881A-A3D999FB72DE.thumb.jpeg.2a78889e8b51aeb412c684b8ebaf1a0c.jpeg

B3CDC7D7-7BCA-4D01-B083-B735E176C0F5.thumb.jpeg.be3f66e783c9940ad269fa6194cfced2.jpeg

EB2565AD-60C4-48BB-9781-84AC48522A63.thumb.jpeg.16226934c9cc6080ca10aea4acb619df.jpeg

88061D5F-6844-4B44-8276-21D6D0E32288.thumb.jpeg.9979fe5c738e1bde99f02ac98591712e.jpeg

Nice point of view.  Thanks for taking the time for writing and posting.  I can see where it makes more sense than booking a tour to go to a beach and spending the same amount or more and not  getting the same service or perks 

Looks like a great value and will definitely book a day on our next cruise that is on the Apex 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

Thanks for the great info about the cabanas. I've read conflicting reports on who "owns" the chairs that are right along the glass railing. Some people thought they were a part of the cabana rentals. Others reported anyone could sit in these chairs. (They can be seen in the far background in your fantastic photos.) Kay

1 hour ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Well just caught up on your review! You are my kinda Lady! Not sure I could keep up with you! Sure would be fun trying! 

How was that Prosecco rose?

BTW, Twangster very popular over at Royal Caribbean for all his cruise reviews!

I think Verve would be really upset as being called Prosecco  😳 

Hi GenX,

Absolutely loving your review!

I think you've sold us on a cabana for one of the sea days. You mentioned it's shady - does it stay shady all/most of the day? Were you able to select which cabana you wanted?

Thanks!

Good Morning from Oceanview breakfast as we dock in Cozumel!

It’s been so funny coming into ports this week on the Edge.  There’s always attention from the passengers on other ships when yours comes in to dock next to them, but Edge is definitely an eye catcher and as one of the newest ships, docking on her it seems like we get a lot more attention. Everyone on other ships  from the bridge and pool decks down the verandas has had their phones out taking photos and recording us.  Crew members stop their work to point and admire her and take group photos with us in the background.  I kinda feel like Kim and Kanye. “I roll up to the pier on the next big thing!” Ha!

Anyway, I know I still have some of yesterday to catch up on, but wanted to quickly share first impressions of the buffet since I haven’t really been here.  Once again the designers succeeded in making the space feel much more open, modern and classy. The high ceilings help a lot too. The light fixtures and finishes are beautiful.  You don’t at all feel like “steerage” dinning in the buffet on Edge.  As a solo, I also love this diner style counter seating facing out the window to sea (well, right now towards our many admirers on the Divina).

Coffee and mimosa service was super prompt. I barely had my plate set down before I was offered beverage service.

I have to finish my mimosa and hit the atm for Mexico tipping cash, then get to my sailing and snorkeling excursion.  

Oh also, I’m happy to confirm that Anastasiia and Alister did officially come through and get me into the Veuve dinner tonight!!!  Wait till you guys see my evening chic gown.  It’s a beautiful Saks clearance find! Perfect for a champagne dinner.  More to come this afternoon!

628FB7EA-FF69-4AA4-956B-9ADA5CA3EEEE.thumb.jpeg.9126cdd57cb275a83a2ce4b7963ab951.jpeg

0B6582B3-7707-43E8-B662-AD1AC66C42E4.thumb.jpeg.c3cd781e1e84a00a7f39bea8020183d5.jpeg

D2FED515-AF30-4541-B601-FBB1096023B9.thumb.jpeg.8016742a7a789488f3c5fe690571b380.jpeg

C39F0EA9-2053-4421-BB7B-525F21B178AB.thumb.jpeg.632321415fa335f44de4017a74f53382.jpeg

B65018D6-E394-4B04-8955-8E20664E8294.thumb.jpeg.c29684a535ae840c7efe7ead680a5b14.jpeg

77507FFA-E614-4D95-B456-47BA75F52BBD.thumb.jpeg.579a063443a82a31faa5139528e39c45.jpeg

• Like 6

Gen X

Thank you for the review. I think you mentioned tipping earlier, with current protocols, do they permit cash tips at bars, cabin etc for extra good service currently . Even tho we pay tips included it has always been our custom to recognize those who go above and beyond. 

• Like 1