Onboard Cruise Dues

Rhitson88

5 minutes ago, Rhitson88 said:

When do you pay what’s owed on your stateroom? Are you able to pay it the day of debarkation at the customer service desk? Thank you.

It's handled in 1 of 2 ways generally.  You can set up a cash account and give them cash.  Any charges will be deducted against that balance.  Once your balance becomes low, they will notify you to add funds.  The second way is much more common and you will just put a credit card on your onboard account.  All charges at the end of the cruise will be charged at debarkation to that card.  We generally do a combination of the two by placing cash initially and then adding a CC for any last minute charges the night before we leave.  You don't want to stand in line at CS the morning of debarkation.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

It's handled in 1 of 2 ways generally.  You can set up a cash account and give them cash.  Any charges will be deducted against that balance.  Once your balance becomes low, they will notify you to add funds.  The second way is much more common and you will just put a credit card on your onboard account.  All charges at the end of the cruise will be charged at debarkation to that card.  We generally do a combination of the two by placing cash initially and then adding a CC for any last minute charges the night before we leave.  You don't want to stand in line at CS the morning of debarkation.

Couldn't have said it better. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rhitson88 said:

When do you pay what’s owed on your stateroom? Are you able to pay it the day of debarkation at the customer service desk? Thank you.

Most guests put up a credit card and Carnival takes care of the bill, there is no need to go to Guest Services unless you spot a mistake in your folio. If you set up a cash account, the will issue a refund check. Any overage less than $10 is donated to St. Jude.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

One thing I have done for the past twenty years is I close my account the night before debarkation. Usually around eleven that evening. Never had any problems doing that. No surprises in the mornings when you get that slip of paper slid under your door with your expenses. I'm not a fan of standing in line the morning of debarkation to correct errors.😉

Edited by BasicSailor

Guest BasicSailor
10 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you use a debit card, be aware that accumulated holds may freeze your card.  No matter what method, you will not be allowed to debark until payment is satisfied.  

Thats right, then you have to go on the next cruise and the next until you pay up!😁

Or they make you sign a Promissory Note, just in case you really want to get off the ship 😇

11 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Thats right, then you have to go on the next cruise and the next until you pay up!😁

Or they make you sign a Promissory Note, just in case you really want to get off the ship 😇

Signing the promissory note would satisfy payment (although I do like the logic of your first sentence).

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Signing the promissory note would satisfy payment (although I do like the logic of your first sentence).

Sometimes I post these things hoping I don't offend the people I most respect on these boards.🙃

Humor gets the best of me, not always a bliss though. Enjoy your day.

7 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Sometimes I post these things hoping I don't offend the people I most respect on these boards.🙃

Humor gets the best of me, not always a bliss though. Enjoy your day.

I know that I didn't take offense but there are people who probably don't know anything about promissory notes and how they work so I thought a bit of clarification was in order (that might have gotten lost in your funny response).

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

One thing I have done for the past twenty years is I close my account the night before debarkation. Usually around eleven that evening. Never had any problems doing that. No surprises in the mornings when you get that slip of paper slid under your door with your expenses. I'm not a fan of standing in line the morning of debarkation to correct errors.😉

Same it is my goal to leave with a zero balance as well.. i have also gone and paid some during the week if i happen to win any money, you can pay down your account on the kiosks with cash!! 

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

That is funny. It reminds me of a trip we took to Jamaica a long time ago. It seems there was a small tax you had to pay to leave. The woman just ahead of us in line told them she had spent all her money, and if they wanted to make her stay instead of leave, that was ok with her. They let her leave.

• Haha 3

We don't like using a credit card so we take cash with us and just put some on the account on the first day, adding more throughout the cruise as needed.  The night before debarkation we go to guest services to close out our account.

Just be careful about adding gratuities on the last day/night.  Usually tips are credited right away but not always. 

We just did a back on back and on the last night of the first cruise we had to go to the Steakhouse several times because they were slow in taking their tip.  We wanted to close out our account but wanted that cleared up before we closed it out.  They FINALLY took the tip the evening of the last night and we were then able to go to guest services to close out the account before the next cruise.

11 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

In case you are not aware...you can view your spending on one of the channels on the TV to keep track if that is something you need to do.

I don't think all ships are equipped with that, but you can obtain a print out of your account from one of the kiosks (or view it from the kiosk to save the paper). 

Ok so, yeah I have a debit card attached to my account. They won’t just charge it the 12th when we are getting off the ship and that’s it? Even if the money is there on that day for them to take? Lol I’m not sure why I would have to sign a promissary note, just take the money haha.

17 hours ago, famof4togo said:

In case you are not aware...you can view your spending on one of the channels on the TV to keep track if that is something you need to do.

I was on Sunshine 12/26 and pretty sure our folio was not on the TV as in the past. It was on the Hub app as others have posted.

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, Rhitson88 said:

Ok so, yeah I have a debit card attached to my account. They won’t just charge it the 12th when we are getting off the ship and that’s it? Even if the money is there on that day for them to take? Lol I’m not sure why I would have to sign a promissary note, just take the money haha.

You won't, I'm sure 🤣 Enjoy your cruise.

21 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

No surprises in the mornings when you get that slip of paper slid under your door with your expenses. I'm not a fan of standing in line the morning of debarkation to correct errors.😉

They don't even do that anymore.  On our last cruise on the Horizon, the only way we could see our expenses was to go to a Kiosk or look on the TV.  That was before Covid when you didn't have an app on your phone.

Guest BasicSailor
21 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

They don't even do that anymore.  On our last cruise on the Horizon, the only way we could see our expenses was to go to a Kiosk or look on the TV.  That was before Covid when you didn't have an app on your phone.

That is strange, petty sure I received one on the Horizon in October?