Rhine water levels 2022 and similar topics

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If it is like that for more than 48 hours at the time of your cruise, I shall get annoyed with those that make the weather. We normally have more than 50F or 10 Celsius during the end of March, at least on some days. Right now it is a bit on the cold side, but still normal for end of February. Minus 4 in the hills at night to plus 10 in the valley in the afternoons where it is sunny. I should take a short video on a sunny day to give you folks an impression of what it is like. Hmm, perhaps next week.

notamermaid

That would be amazing! 

• Like 1

Thank you for your "water levels at the gauges" notamermaid = 267 cm Kaub. Despite the worry about war escalations, we are still planning (and paid) to come on our Christmas Markets Rhine cruise in November (already postponed twice). We went through the hassle of changing ships on our November 2018 Danube cruise due to low water levels. 

Below what depths would we be in trouble again please?

PS We are supporting the Red Cross's work now, all we can do from here? How are things on the Rhine?

• Like 1

@worldtraveller99 Nice to hear from you.

Water levels, I should say something about the extremes, you are right. So you were on the Danube in the abysmally bad year of 2018. I hope you a great time nevertheless. Folks, if someone says to you: "My river cruise was terrible", ask them if they went in 2018 during the drought. And do not take that as a norm. 2018 was the worst year in river cruising history.

Flooding is an official state and is marked in the graphs with a line that shows the warning level or status I or II. Several gauges along the river the authorities use to trigger a safety ban on river traffic.That means all ships have to stop sailing. Kaub has such a status as a marker or trigger. Right now we are far away from that. In the opposite extreme of drought there is no traffic ban, captains decide on safe sailing or not. So there is no official figure at Kaub. I always say to watch the figure from 90 centimetres when on a downward trend. It means it makes sailing more difficult and slows down, also because the navigation channel narrows. As the level drops, one by one the river cruise ships have to stop sailing which may be at 65cm for one ship and 55cm for another, for example. As I said, a decision by the captain of a particular ship at a specific hour - often at short notice. But the cruise line offices know how all this works and have plans for all eventualities. Hence the efficient ship swaps with Viking for example.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The worries - to your other question on the situation along the Rhine. We have Carnival. A subdued Alaaf and Helau. Life runs at an un-normal pace as it has done for the past two years. We are also still dealing with the disaster in the Ahr valley. Monetary issues and rebuilding will continue for some time. The shock runs deep with all those that live close to the region and it is burned into history, I mean into the memory of Germany as a whole. Added to that the shock of recent events.

The fools have fallen silent quite a bit. Personally, I find it sad as we need the fools to put a mirror to the authorities. That is one part of Carnival. In Mainz the stroll people (Montagsspaziergänge) partly took over the role of the fools. But there were also some normal revellers. All very mixed feelings here in my state. Opinions on the ground are not necessarily what the media portraits. But we all know that...

Further South, in Switzerland, things may be easier as the country has reduced Coronavirus restrictions.

This is what happened in Cologne according to Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/cologne-carnival-festivities-morph-into-anti-war-rally/g-60947467

notamermaid

• Like 1

My cruise stops in Cologne, Koblenz, Boppard, Rudesheim, Germersheim, Kehl, and Breisach. Forgive my naïveté, but will I need cash in any of these places for food/souvenirs? My life is pretty cashless these days but wanted to plan for what I might want to withdraw from an ATM before departure. 

A good question, not naive. You can get around with little cash these days, but you will need a bit of money. Small food places - like a bakery - sometimes do not have the facilities for you to pay with a card. Also a few souvenir shops may not have it. Loose change for public toilets. Stalls on food markets, etc. Please also note that you may be able to use a debit card in places, but the machine they use may not accept a credit card. This can occasionally happen. In the last two years things have shifted more towards card payments but cash is still needed.

ATM and what amount before departure or in the country is a question you may want to put in a separate thread, it is quite an interesting one, depending on where you live and where you travel to. Your fellow countrymen will have some good tips on this. I remember a good thread from quite some time ago, not sure that I would be able to dig this out.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Notamermaid - Thank you for all your tips!  We're preparing for our first river cruise on the Rhine in less than a month and  I'm very excited!  I've been studying German and I'm good enough to ask for directions or order a meal, but I'm curious how multilingual people in Germany are? 

• Like 1

Hello to you KCritter. I happen to be here right now as I was about to post something on castles! Nice to read that you will be coming to "my" river.

3 minutes ago, KCritter said:

I'm curious how multilingual people in Germany are? 

That is a good question and I am not sure that I can answer it too well. Let us say that I stick out with my level of English as I studied it beyond school but many people have a working knowledge of English. The vast majority of those who have been to school in Germany have had four years of learning, many six years or even more. The problem is that they do not use it that often depending on job and holiday usage. I would say in a touristy and large town you will always find people in the street that understand you, many shops should be okay with basics and restaurants also. I do not get around that much so I would appreciate some others mentioning their personal holiday experiences here.

Thank you for your effort to learn some German. People will certainly appreciate you trying it out when you come. You may find that there are a few that are very happy to speak in English not necessarily because they are impatient with you but because they are eager to speak English themselves! :classic_biggrin: Can happen.

And to whet your appetite and increase your excitement further I have decided to re-post that video clip on castles as intended before I saw your post. :classic_smile: This I posted in 2021 when it came out but I find it such a pleasantly short and good introduction to the Middle Rhine valley that I would like to share it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XElvTqJVWA

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KCritter said:

Notamermaid - Thank you for all your tips!  We're preparing for our first river cruise on the Rhine in less than a month and  I'm very excited!  I've been studying German and I'm good enough to ask for directions or order a meal, but I'm curious how multilingual people in Germany are? 

I've been travelling to Germany once and twice a year for the last 10 years, and we have found the people, especially in tourist areas will speak english.  I have too studied German, and when we are on the train or in Karlstadt (small city) we use German a lot, however people will switch to english quite readily in most instances.  We order in German at restaurants, but sometime they will ask us if we want the english menu which we decline.  We really enjoy trying to use our German, I just wish my accent wasn't so American.......

• Like 1

My husband before retirement was a a Director of the British arm of a German company. He decided to take a one to one then a telephone course of the German language, much to my amazement, he did quite well (actually I was quite proud of him) it caused some consternation with his German colleges, now he could understand them! He has always said it was restaurant German. Over the years I’ve picked up snatches of various different languages once in Paris (the worst place on earth to do this) I managed to use five different languages to ask for an item, needless to say it left my man in stitches.

During a Spanish language course our tutor told us that before he became proficient in Spanish he hitchhiked through Spain he was given a lift just after the French border to Madrid, by a Priest their common language was supposedly dead being as it was Latin.

Edited by Canal archive
Information
  • Haha 2

Thanks for your input so far, friends. I will pick up on a comment you made @rcaruso as I thought of that aspect myself after I had posted. American accent. It can make it a bit more difficult for a German to understand your German but also your English! I have had that experience myself when dealing with American tourists. Not much a problem but be aware of it. English taught in schools here is British (with few exceptions). One example: "Where is the bathroom" always sounds strange, it could take someone a few seconds longer to realize that you do not want to have a shower but are looking for the toilets.

It is late morning here now and the sun is out, a bit overcast still. It will brighten up further and if the weather forecast is correct we will have pleasant sunny and dry days this coming week. The air is dry and a strain on skin, we also have freezing temperatures at night. It could prolong Winter a bit with budding of trees happening a bit more slowly than expected.

As a result of the persistent high pressure area we have little to no rain and so of course the river levels are falling. But in these cold temperatures that is happening slowly so will only result in low water, meaning reduced loading capacity, for barges and tankers.

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, notamermaid said:

And to whet your appetite and increase your excitement further I have decided to re-post that video clip on castles as intended before I saw your post. :classic_smile: This I posted in 2021 when it came out but I find it such a pleasantly short and good introduction to the Middle Rhine valley that I would like to share it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XElvTqJVWA

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Gorgeous thank you! I can’t wait to see all this in person (departing Amsterdam 4 weeks from today)!

• Like 2

With the season starting and excitement growing, we naturally wonder what Spring will bring. Good weather, bad weather? Flooding, drought? As I posted before, it is quite cool here currently. But if you do not mind wearing gloves in the morning, it is actually pleasant sailing. Sunshine all over Germany is giving as a beautiful end to winter.  Looking beyond this week, we cannot know what will be as regards Spring water levels. Flooding is always a possibility in Spring and high water is certain but the extent cannot be known. When the temperatures rise we get snow melt in the lower Alps. This can reach into April and paired with heavy rain can give us problems into May. So we will watch the situation in the coming weeks. Drought is not an issue in Spring, although the levels are low now (and I hope this Spring will not be the exception to the rule). I will likely post one or two graphs during Spring, but for now just the figures. They are not going to change significantly during this week so I will not post them regularly:

Maxau 406cm

Kaub 159cm

Koblenz 185cm

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, notamermaid said:

A good question, not naive. You can get around with little cash these days, but you will need a bit of money. Small food places - like a bakery - sometimes do not have the facilities for you to pay with a card. Also a few souvenir shops may not have it. Loose change for public toilets. Stalls on food markets, etc. Please also note that you may be able to use a debit card in places, but the machine they use may not accept a credit card. This can occasionally happen. In the last two years things have shifted more towards card payments but cash is still needed.

ATM and what amount before departure or in the country is a question you may want to put in a separate thread, it is quite an interesting one, depending on where you live and where you travel to. Your fellow countrymen will have some good tips on this. I remember a good thread from quite some time ago, not sure that I would be able to dig this out.

notamermaid

Thank you this is helpful! I always forget about coins for public toilets. I might even have some euros in the dusty “travel” box. I will have both a debit and a credit card (with chip and PIN) along with some cash when we depart Amsterdam. We aren’t big souvenir shoppers but I love to get a taste of local food and drink!

• Like 1

Sounds like you have all eventualities with money covered and are ready to go! ☺️ 

It is the 8th of March and I have missed to do this yesterday, so later I will come back to this date on which something happened that was so decisive along the Rhine and you may say so important in European history that it is commemorated with a military official laying of a wreath by German and American representatives every year.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The 7th of March 1945 is the day US-American soldiers captured the Rhine bridge at Remagen and crossed it. I read in the regional weekly newspaper that a laying of a wreath to mark the event and remember the soldiers who died, was scheduled for yesterday 12 noon with representatives of the 9th US infantry division and the Bundeswehr. Yesterday was also as is tradition the first day the Peace Museum in the bridge towers opened for the season.

I have written about Remagen bridge and the two sisters of it last year in these posts: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/5/

Very often this stretch of river is sailed in darkness, but cruisers in the past have mentioned that it was pointed out or you were informed in time to be able to see the towers when sailing past.

You could get to Remagen by train from Cologne or Bonn, or even Koblenz, if you wanted to see the museum. It is small but for history buffs a fascinating museum.

notamermaid

• Like 3

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You could get to Remagen by train from Cologne or Bonn, or even Koblenz, if you wanted to see the museum. It is small but for history buffs a fascinating museum.

I agree that this is doable even if you speak very limited German.  When we stopped in Bonn, we asked our morning tour guide to let us know when (on the tour) we were closest to the Bonn train station.  We left the tour group, bought round trip tickets to Remagen and walked along the river to the remains of the towers and the museum.  Small, but interesting.  We had time for lunch in Remagen, then the train ride back to Bonn.  From the train station, walk towards the river to find your ship.  We were back before dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a word of caution about purchasing train tickets in Germany. Not all automated kiosks provide instructions and prompts in English. On occasion we found helpful locals who assisted us; other times we used the ticket office. IIRC, ticket office purchases entailed a small premium. It was a short, 20 minutes or so, ride. 

As to Germans speaking English, we find most who speak English significantly underestimate their ability when first engaging in conversation. And it’s not just in Germany. We Americans are so under educated when it comes to languages.

The Peace Museum is a short walk from the train station. Down hill towards the river, look around and go up river to the tower. JerseyGem and I were first in Remagen about 50 years ago. The tower then was surrounded by rubble and fenced off to restrict access; no marking at all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

JerseyGem and I were first in Remagen about 50 years ago. The tower then was surrounded by rubble and fenced off to restrict access; no marking at all. 

Then you were certainly there before the museum existed. As you say, rubble and fenced off. Neglected. It was the initiative of one man that lead to the museum being opened in 1980. Although the history had not been forgotten, I saw old footage of an interview from the sixties. The stumbs of one bridge pillar remained in the Rhine till the seventies when it was removed as it was an obstacle for shipping.

The Hindenburg Bridge stumbs at Rüdesheim is by the way still in the water and is seen as the entrance to the World Heritage Site Middle Rhine Valley.

I kind of live in the area of the three bridges, but myself only learned relatively recently of the somewhat forgotten fact that the Kronprinz-Wilhelm-Bridge at Urmitz was also still standing when the Army crossed at Remagen. On this day, 9th March, in 1945, the bridge was blown up by the Wehrmacht while German soldiers were crossing. Nobody knows how many people were killed that morning. It took until 2012 for a memorial to the lives lost during this the senseless action to be erected at both Urmitz and Engers, which is on the other bank of the Rhine.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
wrong word
  • Like 1

Another big piece of the history of that area at the end of, and immediately after, the war has been forgotten. I didn’t learn of it until my visit to the Peace Museum. At least forgotten by Americans and perhaps by other of the Allies. That is the POW camps (and I use “camp” loosely) for captured German soldiers. Some historians have compared conditions there to Andersonville. Those interested should search on “pow camp Remagen.”

• Like 1

CPT your absolutely correct to make things easier for themselves (loosely the allies and I include us as well because our bosses would have known) the prisoners were not classed as ‘prisoners of war’ an absolute cop-out, so that didn’t have to be treated to the standards of the Geneva convention.