Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Meanwhile in the US, weather forecasters can be as wrong as they like and never suffer any consequences!

• Like 1

Brief update. Pfelling gauge has gone down steadily and a bit more than I had thought it would. 300cm. Forecast suggests figures a few centimetres above that with a further slow decline tomorrow. Rain in Austria today, with drizzle perhaps coming into Bavaria. Tomorrow more rain in Bavaria.

Looks like a decent level at Pfelling of a little over 290cm at the weekend could be possible. Difficult to judge. The authorities indicate so but the range of figures they give for Saturday suggests there is quite a bit of room for error, or let us say the river's reaction being unpredictable.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Do you agree with the consequences?

Hanging at 11 – let's go to the videotape!!!

Seriously, we don't have all the facts about this situation in Hungary.  But in general, meteorologists are being paid for their supposed expertise.  If they are wrong, they shouldn't be able to hide behind the 'computer models' – or else the computer programmer should be getting their salary.  [This is different than in the early days of US TV, when all a 'weather girl' needed was a pretty face...]

Weather forecast? In this heat I say only one thing: "Scorchio!"* Poula Fisch certainly gave the presenters a shock when she announced the weekend weather forecast all those years ago. But she did not get into trouble, after all, it was not her fault that a "Nimbo Cumulos" had appeared in the sky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abFJuqp867g

*The British comedy series "The Fast Show"'s classic term has entered the English dictionary.

notamermaid

On 8/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, notamermaid said:

Looks like a decent level at Pfelling of a little over 290cm at the weekend could be possible. Difficult to judge. The authorities indicate so but the range of figures they give for Saturday suggests there is quite a bit of room for error, or let us say the river's reaction being unpredictable.

Well, the river decided to go for the margin rather than the most likely line projected yesterday. Pfelling gauge is at 287cm. This is getting tight. Rain please, now!

notamermaid

1 hour ago, English Tim said:

We’ve just arrived in Linz having cruised from Frankfurt and we expect to be able to complete our cruise to Budapest without changing ships.

You should have no issue since I started in Passau Tuesday and we’ve just left Novi Sad, Serbia.

Update:  Viking Jarl has just turned around after spending the day in Passau. We’ve been told the Danube between Passau and Regensburg has been shut down to river traffic. We will dock at Engelhartzell. Our included excursion to Regensburg scheduled for tomorrow will go as planned. However we will traffic by bus 2 1/2 hours each way. Not ideal. Haven’t decided if we will go. We will disembark on Sunday. Viking is taking care of the ten of us to get to Regensburg to meet our independent transfer to go to Prague. 

1 hour ago, mrschiefopd said:

Update:  Viking Jarl has just turned around after spending the day in Passau. We’ve been told the Danube between Passau and Regensburg has been shut down to river traffic.

That coincides with the level having dropped below 290cm again, it was at 287cm at lunchtime (see post above) and is now at 280cm at Pfelling.

Whoever told you that the river is closed to traffic has either just got the words wrong or knows of a giant something being in the way just beyond the lock at Vilshofen. Apologies, but the authorities in Germany do not close the river unless there is a ship blocking the navigation channel or a similar incident. Not because of low water.

I am sorry to read that you have just caught the low water again. It was still okay early this morning. The fall in river levels happened faster than expected.

notamermaid

Pfelling gauge has dropped to 278cm. I imagine captains and crews in Vienna anxiously looking at the river level info and wondering if the rain will help to get their ships through the low stretch in a couple of days time. If the ship is to disembark passengers at Vilshofen anyway, it is no problem of course. It is raining in the Danube valley and along the Northern tributaries so that is good but will it be enough? The graph shows a slight upward trend for tomorrow. It is the 27 of August today which brings us close to September and my monthly report on the how the river has fared in the previous 30 days. I can already say now - no surprise if you are a regular reader of this thread - that August has been abysmal.

But more on that in a few days time.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Just now, UDChE89 said:

The lower Danube has been just fine.  My boat is now one of five docked in Belgrade.

Great. Good to know.

Water levels are rising in the area according to the figure tables. Graph at Budapest shows the level to be falling again, the wave from Germany has mostly passed through Hungary now. But still looking much better than it had been earlier in the month:

image.png.b9ce187814961802f2d4e7af7f2cebd1.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

Well its a bit nerve wracking reading this thread ! LOL...We fly out in 1 week and sail on Sept 9th from Nuremberg to Vienna. Hoping for rain before we get there. Anyone know if Uniworld has cancelled any sailings on this route recently ?

3 hours ago, Flight96 said:

Well its a bit nerve wracking reading this thread ! LOL...We fly out in 1 week and sail on Sept 9th from Nuremberg to Vienna. Hoping for rain before we get there. Anyone know if Uniworld has cancelled any sailings on this route recently ?

Uniworld seems to have cruise itinerary changes on their "Port locations" page. As of now, they are not stating any changes to your itinerary. The S.S. Antoinette and the River Duchess seem to have slight changes to their itineraries for the next few days.

From what I've observed, on that cruise recently the ship stopped at Regensburg and passengers were bused to where they could join a sister ship, not sure if it was Straubing or elsewhere.

Our January Caribbean cruise turned into the 'which island will take us today' itinerary – and it was still a great cruise.  Go with a flexible attitude and you can find much to enjoy even with ship swaps and bus trips.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

The lower Danube has been just fine.  My boat is now one of five docked in Belgrade.

That is good to know...  when I have looked at Cruise Mapper over the last week, it hasn't shown much movement below Budapest.  While not impressed with the thought of having extended bussing on a river cruise,  it is even less pleasing to think we may not have a boat to get onto!!

Fran