Covid Protocol on Cruise Ship

LewiLewi

4 hours ago, uktog said:

There are currently NO requirements to have a test ahead of entering Norway. Are you sure it’s not an airline requirement?

This was effective January 25, 2022

TO TRAVEL WITH VIKING:  1. Valid Passport (must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates).  2. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 immunization (final dose received at least 14 days prior to departure, including booster dose— if eligible) certified by VeriFLY with FDA/WHO/EMA Approved Vaccine, including Moderna (SpikeVax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Johnson & Johnson (Janssen), AstraZeneca/Oxford (Vaxzevria) Note: Booster requirement is effective for departures beginning February 1, 2022) 3. Proof of negative COVID-19 Test – with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result. - PCR test taken within 72 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country, or  - Antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country - Viking will accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.  Note: If you are transiting through Germany on your way to Norway, you must get a COVID-19 test 48 hours prior to departure. This requirement will meet Viking’s requirement. No additional test is required to meet Viking’s requirements. 4. Cruise Documents/Journey Summary/E-Documents   

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL TO NORWAY:  1. US, CAN, AU, NZ Guests: PCR or antigen test completed a maximum of 24 hours before arrival in Norway. There is no need for an additional test to fulfill Viking’s testing requirements. UK Guests: Digital NHS COVID Pass. Please note that you will have to meet Viking’s testing requirements listed above.  All guests: must take a COVID-19 test on arrival or within 24 hours of arrival in Norway. - If you are embarking in Norway, this test will be taken on board. - If you are booked on a pre-cruise extension, this test will be administered at your hotel.  - If you are traveling independently and ahead of your cruise, you will need to make testing arrangements to comply with Norway’s testing entry requirements. 2. Registration of Arrival to Norway form, completed a maximum of 72 hours before arrival in Norway, found here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

This was effective January 25, 2022

TO TRAVEL WITH VIKING:  1. Valid Passport (must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates).  2. Proof of up-to-date COVID-19 immunization (final dose received at least 14 days prior to departure, including booster dose— if eligible) certified by VeriFLY with FDA/WHO/EMA Approved Vaccine, including Moderna (SpikeVax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Johnson & Johnson (Janssen), AstraZeneca/Oxford (Vaxzevria) Note: Booster requirement is effective for departures beginning February 1, 2022) 3. Proof of negative COVID-19 Test – with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result. - PCR test taken within 72 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country, or  - Antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country - Viking will accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.  Note: If you are transiting through Germany on your way to Norway, you must get a COVID-19 test 48 hours prior to departure. This requirement will meet Viking’s requirement. No additional test is required to meet Viking’s requirements. 4. Cruise Documents/Journey Summary/E-Documents   

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL TO NORWAY:  1. US, CAN, AU, NZ Guests: PCR or antigen test completed a maximum of 24 hours before arrival in Norway. There is no need for an additional test to fulfill Viking’s testing requirements. UK Guests: Digital NHS COVID Pass. Please note that you will have to meet Viking’s testing requirements listed above.  All guests: must take a COVID-19 test on arrival or within 24 hours of arrival in Norway. - If you are embarking in Norway, this test will be taken on board. - If you are booked on a pre-cruise extension, this test will be administered at your hotel.  - If you are traveling independently and ahead of your cruise, you will need to make testing arrangements to comply with Norway’s testing entry requirements. 2. Registration of Arrival to Norway form, completed a maximum of 72 hours before arrival in Norway, found here.  

There are now NO requirements to have negative tests or fill in any documentation to enter Norway. There are NO requirements to regularly test. Confirmed cases (you only test if you have actual symptoms) quarantine only for four days 

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

There are now NO requirements to have negative tests or fill in any documentation to enter Norway. There are NO requirements to regularly test. Confirmed cases (you only test if you have actual symptoms) quarantine only for four days 

Most likely VIking has not updated their documentation yet (Jan 25 is awhile ago).

I also saw this.  It would have been nearly impossible for us to get a test and results back 24 hours from "arrival" (versus departure) when our travel time from west coast USA is almost a day.

UKTOG - I hope that you are right!  and that Viking changes their documentation.

Is there a Norway website that you are getting this information from?  That would be most helpful.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, mbtabby said:

we must test again 72 hours before embarking. 

So just trying to think this through. We have a 3-night pre-cruise extension, so does that mean that besides the pre-flight test, the pre-embarkation test will need to be done while we're still at the extension destination? How is that done exactly? And then is it done again at the teminal prior to embarkation?  It's too early to worry about it overly so since so much could change till my trip rolls around. Hopefully Viking will convey all the necessary details. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

6 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So just trying to think this through. We have a 3-night pre-cruise extension, so does that mean that besides the pre-flight test, the pre-embarkation test will need to be done while we're still at the extension destination? How is that done exactly? And then is it done again at the teminal prior to embarkation?  It's too early to worry about it overly so since so much could change till my trip rolls around. Hopefully Viking will convey all the necessary details. 

From other posts, I believe that Viking takes care of all pre-boarding testing if you are on a Viking pre-cruise extension.  It's only if you are traveling independently that you have to arrange your own testing. 

• Thanks 1

Having had some experience of Viking communications over the last three or so months leading up to our northern lights cruise I can confirm that Viking do not work at weekends!. Communications to our fellow travellers across the pond who received updates on Friday afternoons took until the following Tuesday to reach those of us in the UK. 

I wouldn't like to bet when it will get announced.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:46 PM, stretchcruz said:

She did say, however, that the ultimate decision was the ship's. If we asked to stay onboard and quarantine onboard that it would be the ship's doctor who would make the final decision.

Thanks for this. Another example of written policies not telling everything. Unfortunately Viking agents won't put anything in writing.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:12 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Does anyone know for sure exactly what Viking does for these guests who have had to leave the ship? In my conversation with an agent this morning, I inquired about some of this. She left me with some uncertainties as to how much Viking assists with a (removed) passenger's transportation home, etc. Do they pay for it? This Chairman's cruise is even dicier in some ways since tripmate insurance is not available for it (since there is no cost to the passengers). So would a separate insurance policy cover something like a covid positive person no longer being able to be on the cruise and thus having to pay to get home?  This is indeed nuts....

Two phone agents have told me that once you're tossed off, Viking washes its hands of you. But multiple comments in this thread seem to indicate otherwise.

A regular Travel Guard policy for your Chairman's cruise would be inexpensive because the price is based on the trip cost. I like Travel Guard Preferred with the medical upgrade which includes hospital of choice. They also offer an inexpensive annual policy which covers everything except cancellation.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:23 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Exactly. If I don't purchase insurance offered by the cruise line, I always get a trip policy elsewhere. But, as you say, not sure if transportation home due to testing positive for covid is a covered event. Probably not, unless it qualifies under "illness". 

My understanding - and verify with the insurance company - is that COVID is an anticipated event, so if something is cancelled due to COVID it's not covered. But if you get COVID, it is treated like any other illness.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Moonlion said:

She said they were put in "youth hostel" type accommodations in Bergen and the provisions were not that great; she was in contact with Viking to try to improve their conditions.

Ok...you got my attention with this statement.  We aren't booked until July for Bergen, but...I have never stayed in a hostel type accommodation, nor do I ever plan on staying in one.  We don't cruise with Viking to end up staying in a hostel.  Does anyone have any first hand information on this.  Seriously if indeed Viking is putting people in those type of accommodations that is not acceptable. 

• Like 1

I have seen others on the forum who have indicated quarantine accommodations are not determined by Viking but by the country you land in. I have also seen responses that have indicated the choice of leaving the ship or staying on board to quarentine is not up to the doctor on board but up to the policies of the country that the ship docks at.  

41 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Ok...you got my attention with this statement.  We aren't booked until July for Bergen, but...I have never stayed in a hostel type accommodation, nor do I ever plan on staying in one.  We don't cruise with Viking to end up staying in a hostel.  Does anyone have any first hand information on this. 

No first hand info yet, but we are sailing out of Bergen with Viking in May. We are touring on our own for a few days before boarding so if we get tossed I will let you know about the alternative accommodations. Just another life experience. 

42 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Ok...you got my attention with this statement.  We aren't booked until July for Bergen, but...I have never stayed in a hostel type accommodation, nor do I ever plan on staying in one.  We don't cruise with Viking to end up staying in a hostel.  Does anyone have any first hand information on this.  Seriously if indeed Viking is putting people in those type of accommodations that is not acceptable. 

It depends on the country you are visiting. Some countries will not permit infectious diseases ashore, whereas others will demand the Master lands infected pax, to be accommodated at the pleasure of the Govt.

This is not just a COVID issue, as in 2008, we were forced to disembark a ship in China and were accommodated in a cheap hotel with armed guards. A hostel would probably have been more comfortable. In our situation, the Master was provided an ultimatum, either send us ashore, or the entire ship is quarantined for 2-weeks.

In those situation, Viking has ZERO say in where you are accommodated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I can't make the link work, but if you find the "Viking Jupiter, December 22, 2021" thread, the situation is described in detail in multiple posts from the couple's daughter.

4 minutes ago, aungrl said:

I can't make the link work, but if you find the "Viking Jupiter, December 22, 2021" thread, the situation is described in detail in multiple posts from the couple's daughter.

Thanks I'll try to find that.  I thought where you go in those countries was likely out of Vikings hands.  However, I would have thought Norway would be a little better than a hostel.  

5 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Thanks I'll try to find that.  I thought where you go in those countries was likely out of Vikings hands.  However, I would have thought Norway would be a little better than a hostel.  

Sorry, yes, this happened in South America.  

Curious to know if Viking is easing up on some of their protocols now that countries are beginning to discontinue most restrictions? Completely understand the need to have some in place for the protection of passengers and for the company to stay in business. However, the level of testing, need for off-board quarantining, not being able to visit ports or even dance has been a big deterrent for many. At least let us dance! 😉 

• Like 3

FWIW Regent has announced that for cruises departing starting March 1, 2022, masking will no longer be required for passengers because everyone will be vaccinated.

I would rather sail under Viking's protocols, and I hope they continue at least the testing and contact tracking.

44 minutes ago, toolworker said:

FWIW Regent has announced that for cruises departing starting March 1, 2022, masking will no longer be required for passengers because everyone will be vaccinated.

I would rather sail under Viking's protocols, and I hope they continue at least the testing and contact tracking.

forever???

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

forever???

No, just until the omicron spike is pretty much over, not just dropping, and the ships all carry a good supply of Paxlovid and keep infected pax on board and treat them, and a new, more dangerous variant hasn't appeared.

• Like 1

We are both fully vaxxed so don't worry about covid anymore than pneumonia, tuberculosis, or any of hundreds of other potential diseases but we do not want to tolerate, at considerable expense, masking and daily testing for 4+ months.  Not to mention the poor folks that have been dumped ashore in third world places.  Something out there for everyone so we can find plenty to do with that money till Viking returns to "normal" whatever that turns out to be.  🍸

• Like 6