U.K. Sailings - pre cruise Testing

Alcairns

I have just received an email from Princes regarding our 28th March sailing. It reminds us that we need to be fully vaccinated 14 days before embarkation and be able to show prod of same. It makes no reference to pre boarding testing at the terminal. Has this been discontinued? I have tried looking on the Princess website but this now only refers to US sailings for some reason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

I have just received an email from Princes regarding our 28th March sailing. It reminds us that we need to be fully vaccinated 14 days before embarkation and be able to show prod of same. It makes no reference to pre boarding testing at the terminal. Has this been discontinued? I have tried looking on the Princess website but this now only refers to US sailings for some reason. 

As I understand it the dockside testing is still taking place and it is rather annoying that for some time now the Princess site only refers to the US rules. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, devonuk said:

As I understand it the dockside testing is still taking place and it is rather annoying that for some time now the Princess site only refers to the US rules. 

As Princess are currently only sailing from the US, why would they refer to UK or European rules ?

As UK/European cruises restart , then the appropriate requirements will no doubt become available, depending on the situation at the time.  

No point publishing anything now,  given that circumstances may change over the next few months. 

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

Thanks for asking. I posted a similar question in the Covid thread not long ago as we are looking at a UK cruise. I also tried the website and couldn't find anything. 

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

I am also on this cruise. Got the notification. Keep checking FAQ for UPDATES they say are coming soon. 
atleast they could tell us about testing at the terminal. They do say we need it to cruise. 

1 hour ago, dog said:

I am also on this cruise. Got the notification. Keep checking FAQ for UPDATES they say are coming soon. 
atleast they could tell us about testing at the terminal. They do say we need it to cruise. 

Testing at Southampton,  prior to embarkation,  has continued throughout the winter, and the assumption is that these free LFT  tests will continue for the forseeable future.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

As Princess are currently only sailing from the US, why would they refer to UK or European rules ?

As UK/European cruises restart , then the appropriate requirements will no doubt become available, depending on the situation at the time.  

No point publishing anything now,  given that circumstances may change over the next few months. 

I think you need to check your facts 🤷‍♂️ I sailed on one out of Soton a few weeks back and I am again in April, so it is in fact very relevant for me as under the current Spanish rules my 12 yr old grandson cannot travel with us so we’ll have to cancel. Cancellations for us mean a date of no later than 30 days in advance so I need to know by the first weekend in March and guess where I am in the meantime… on another cruise 👌

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devonuk said:

under the current Spanish rules my 12 yr old grandson cannot travel with us so we’ll have to cancel.

I appreciate your concern,  but Princess have no control over Spanish regulations.

However I do think that Princess should let you know if children can cruise, as long as they remain on board when docked in Spanish ports.

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I appreciate your concern,  but Princess have no control over Spanish regulations.

However I do think that Princess should let you know if children can cruise, as long as they remain on board when docked in Spanish ports.

I have had a few conversations with them and they just won’t commit to anything which I can understand and I appreciate it’s the Spanish not complying with the EU’s wishes but to leave us ‘hanging’ is annoying. I guess they’ll hope for some good news in the meantime like us. But, what I would expect as a minimum on their website would be their ‘current stance’ not just an ‘update to follow’ which has been there for a long time now 😬

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dog said:

Some of my UK friends got notices from Princess that their kids had to be Vaccinated to cruise in March/ April. They had to cancel. 
Princess needs to tell you. Not wait 

Hi dog

Would you know what form these notices are in as my daughter hopes to travel on the same trip as us but with two 9 year olds in tow. Perhaps they can’t now travel? Who knows 😳 

4 minutes ago, devonuk said:

Hi dog

Would you know what form these notices are in as my daughter hopes to travel on the same trip as us but with two 9 year olds in tow. Perhaps they can’t now travel? Who knows 😳 

Are they able to get vaccinated?  My twin 9 year old grkids,  in the US are fully vaccinated and ready to travel.

50 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Are they able to get vaccinated?  My twin 9 year old grkids,  in the US are fully vaccinated and ready to travel.

Neither by age or within the time limits unfortunately but if the rules are the same as on the Iona in 2+ weeks time the 9 year olds could go but not the12 year old. 

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

Hi dog

Yes, my 2 UK friends have kids under 12 and they are not vaccinated yet, but had paid for cruise  they both got email notices from Princess saying All had to be double vaxed. Same as adults. Then they called their TA had had to cancel kids. Really upset, as they had made payment 

57 minutes ago, dog said:

Yes, my 2 UK friends have kids under 12 and they are not vaccinated yet, but had paid for cruise  they both got email notices from Princess saying All had to be double vaxed. Same as adults. Then they called their TA had had to cancel kids. Really upset, as they had made payment 

I’ve contacted Princess and was told the complete opposite as they’re under 12 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

I’ve contacted Princess and was told the complete opposite as they’re under 12 🤷‍♂️

Can’t speak for anyone else.

my notification yesterday said the same”All must be vaccinated “ for my cruise March 28/22

Good luck & hope it works out for you 

Edited by dog

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Wozz I won’t book until I know what the testing regime is and I’m sure I am not alone in this. The cruise I fancy is sailing on Monday so the only day for a test if it is a 48 hour PRC is Saturday when most centres are now closed (at least up here they are).

I also won’t sail if “sip and replace” is still their policy, again I can’t get an answer on that so I won’t book yet as may even go with another line instead.

While I appreciate that things are fluid for the lines they really don’t help themselves with all the dithering. People going on the first cruise in March need some clarity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

Can’t speak for anyone else.

my notification yesterday said the same”All must be vaccinated “ for my cruise March 28/22

Good luck & hope it works out for you 

What an absolute mess this all is 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Wozz I won’t book until I know what the testing regime is and I’m sure I am not alone in this. The cruise I fancy is sailing on Monday so the only day for a test if it is a 48 hour PRC is Saturday when most centres are now closed (at least up here they are).

I also won’t sail if “sip and replace” is still their policy, again I can’t get an answer on that so I won’t book yet as may even go with another line instead.

While I appreciate that things are fluid for the lines they really don’t help themselves with all the dithering. People going on the first cruise in March need some clarity.

Unless you are going to the Caribbean,  why do you think you will need a PRC test ? Princess will only make you have such a test if it required by the very first port of call, and I am not aware of any European countries visited by Princess that currently have that requirement. 

P&O do not require a PCR test - why would Princess be any different ?

With regards to sip and cover, we were on  Princess cruise a couple of months ago. S&C only applied to a couple of venues, so we just avoided them and went elsewhere.  No issue at all. 

Edited by wowzz

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Unless you are going to the Caribbean,  why do you think you will need a PRC test ? Princess will only make you have such a test if it required by the very first port of call, and I am not aware of any European countries visited by Princess that currently have that requirement. 

P&O do not require a PCR test - why would Princess be any different ?

With regards to sip and cover, we were on  Princess cruise a couple of months ago. S&C only applied to a couple of venues, so we just avoided them and went elsewhere.  No issue at all. 

That’s good news re sip and cover, thanks for that but I would still like Princess to confirm that is the case.

Re PCR I don’t know and that is the problem. I asked the direct question and so far no one will confirm (or discount) what the requirements will be. You may well be correct, I hope indeed that you are but again I would like to know what the formal position is from the cruise line and I assume that who are travelling next month would as well.

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s good news re sip and cover, thanks for that but I would still like Princess to confirm that is the case.

Re PCR I don’t know and that is the problem. I asked the direct question and so far no one will confirm (or discount) what the requirements will be. You may well be correct, I hope indeed that you are but again I would like to know what the formal position is from the cruise line and I assume that who are travelling next month would as well.

The cruise lines are in an invidious position,  as the rules are constantly changing, not helped by unclear announcements from various governments.

Look at Portugal for example - yesterday they said that testing prior to arrival would not be required for the fully vaccinated,  but did not say when, and also did not say if UK or US digital certificates would be required. How is a cruise line meant to issue guidance based on that ?

Given that no other cruise line has specified that pre-departure PCR tests will be required, I can't see why Princess would arbitrarily take a contrarian position at this late stage.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

The cruise lines are in an invidious position,  as the rules are constantly changing, not helped by unclear announcements from various governments.

Look at Portugal for example - yesterday they said that testing prior to arrival would not be required for the fully vaccinated,  but did not say when, and also did not say if UK or US digital certificates would be required. How is a cruise line meant to issue guidance based on that ?

Given that no other cruise line has specified that pre-departure PCR tests will be required, I can't see why Princess would arbitrarily take a contrarian position at this late stage.

I do sympathise with the cruise lines with all the rapid changes, must be a logistical nightmare.

They could however confirm on the website the formal position re masks. At the moment is says “Guests will be required to wear a face mask indoors at all times”. It said that last year and people were faced with the reality of sip and replace in a letter once onboard for the first lot. If that is the requirement then it should be made clear to potential bookers. If it just applies in some venues then tell us that.

The sip and replace situation is their policy so not reliant on external rules. I think this particular policy will put off a lot of potential travellers considering it is quite extreme compared to other lines and the rules within the U.K. 

Re PCR the reason I asked the question in the first place was because the only information available when I looked quoted PCR (non U.K. cruises). If it’s just a LFT at the port, great but tell us.

Actually my last ex U.K. cruise required a PCR test sailing with Celebrity and it looks like the same this year, RCI required the same ex U.K. last year so it is not unknown as a requirement.

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They could however confirm on the website the formal position re masks. At the moment is says “Guests will be required to wear a face mask indoors at all times”. It said that last year and people were faced with the reality of sip and replace in a letter once onboard for the first lot. If that is the requirement then it should be made clear to potential bookers. If it just applies in some venues then tell us that.

But elsewhere it says masks are not required when eating or drinking. Which, in our case, meant that we only ever wore a mask when walking inside the ship, or in the theatre.  

We have various cruises booked this year, and fully expect the mask guidelines to stay in place.  They guidelines are not onerous, and do not detract from the enjoyment of the cruise. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1