Scenic river cruises, recent refurbishing of ships?

Dolebludger

In the last half of the last decade, we took a couple of Scenic European river cruises, and overall they were outstanding. Everything included including drinks, excellent choice in shore activities with none at extra cost, great service, even free laundry in some suites. But a few of things could be improved on those cruises — all having to do with the physical ship. First, there was only one specialty restaurant. Second, many lunches were buffet only. Third and most important, the public area which served as the MDR and meeting place for entertainment and lectures was furnished too much like a diner. MDR chairs and tables were metal. Their was nothing decorative about it. But that was a few years ago. So my question is whether this public area has been upgraded since then.

If you go to the Scenic website, they have pictures and virtual 360 tours that will show you what they look like.  You don't say how many years ago you cruised with them, but I do believe the "Space Ships" are fairly new.

Most lines are buffet for breakfast & lunch (although some have menu service as well), with dinner being a full sit down meal.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

Specialty restaurants aren’t a major problem to me. We don’t use them when they are there.

‘We cruised Scenic in about 2016 and 2017. We were aboard the Emerald and the Diamond as best I can recall. My major problem here was the lack of any “class” in the furnishings and decor in the public space (aka MDR). Now we are not snobs about decor, but what we had was like “Oscar’s Diner” here in Durango CO, and we would hope for better than that, given the cost of a Scenic river cruise. We are also considering Uni World, and their site shows decor in the public areas that is actually a bit too fancy. So we hoped Scenic had gone beyond “diner” class, because we liked everything else about it. If you have cruised Scenic since 2017, please respond here;

C'mon man, work with us here.  Which ship were you on?  [Many were renovated in 2019].  Which ship are you looking to book on?  This page on Scenic's website has a video that shows the Scenic Jasper in great detail [and nothing in the video reminds me of any diner I have ever seen]:

https://www.scenicusa.com/our-ships/our-space-ships.

[Turn the sound off, or you will be further turned off Scenic by the annoying narration...]

Lounge:

1351173999_ScreenShot2022-02-05at10_28_19PM.thumb.png.2339b34bcc20af319637bfa201c8747c.png

Dining Room:

1058015623_ScreenShot2022-02-05at10_29_34PM.thumb.png.e6fe5611189a50a4dd47d3e2684c509c.png

Now, what specific questions do you have?

Exactly I have cruised with Scenic pre makeover - pre makeover, I.e. it’s happened twice since I’ve been travelling with them. I’m having a problem uploading images. So will try later with them but I can assure you there is no way anything on Scenic can be compared with Bert’s Dinner up the Edgeware Road. You want speciality dinning venues - La Amour on the French cruises but Potrabelows in other countries. Table de Rive how about the River cafe for a light lunch. Have you ever toured the restraurant kitchens? Asked the chef to cook something more to your ‘pallet’. Some of their ships have their Scenic Culinaire aimed especially at foodie traveler's. Styling is extremely subjective  I’m definitely not keen on the baroque but if that line had the only tours I was interested in that year then I would put up with it.

Scenic sold Emerald a couple of years ago but Diamond is still part of their fleet and has had the latest upgrade two owners suites and less passengers.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Jasper in 2016 and I was very impressed by the contemporary decor throughout the ship. I choose the Jasper because it was new and the photos looked great. I would love to sail with Scenic again, but time and funds have not allowed. 

We sailed with Uniworld twice. I agree with the OP the Uniworld style is a bit over the top for my taste, but the quality and service made up for my opinion of the style.

More recently we took two AMA cruises and while they too were wonderful, I found the ships not as impressive as Scenic. 

JMHO
Paul

Host Jazzbeau, we were on the Emerald and the Diamond. And the pics you posted answer my questions. The public area didn’t look like that when we cruised  It has been redecorated, and looks quite nice now. And I have received much other info on this thread. We haven’t cruised in a while for obvious reasons, but hope we are headed toward an end of this mess when we will want to cruise again. Scenic will be high on our list for consideration as it is a “known factor” with us. At this time, we have no idea which ship we might book as it depends in itinerary. We are just beginning to look at late 2023 for a river cruise. 

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

I’ve always wondered how they have managed to use all that Carrera marble on board and still have one of the shallowest droughts on the rivers. Doleledger if your at all interested in the capacity of the ship the Azure on the Douro, a wonderful cruise, is the smallest of their European fleet and the Gem on the Seine, oh how to choose, the next smallest. Have a great time deciding!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, Dolebludger said:

.....(aka MDR). Now we are not snobs about decor, but what we had was like “Oscar’s Diner” here in Durango CO, and we would hope for better than that, given the cost of a Scenic river cruise. We are also considering Uni World, and their site shows decor in the public areas that is actually a bit too fancy. So we hoped Scenic had gone beyond “diner” class, because we liked everything else about it. If you have cruised Scenic since 2017, please respond here;

Oscar's looks like a fun place but I don't blame you it this is what you encountered on a cruise ship! 😊

image.png