Live Value Cruising Review of Oasis of the Sea 2/6/22 - 2/13/22 Plenty of Pictures!

BennyBrun

3 hours ago, CruiseesiurC said:

You should book it!!! I need a friend for my daily sushi snack! Lol

That would have been fun.  They will run out of fish by the end of the cruise.  I would have but I booked on the Symphony instead.  I am going with the Value cruise version on the Wonder for the review.

3 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Yes!  They don’t offer that itinerary too often and I like that we get to go to Bermuda for a day and still get to go to the Caribbean islands.  I like Bermuda but two over nighters is a lot for us since we are there often.

Wow, I am insanely jealous in the nicest possible way. Hopefully, there will be a similar one around the same time next year. It looks like it may be Liberty doing those routes next year.

I hope you will have a fabulous time on it. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Wow, I am insanely jealous in the nicest possible way. Hopefully, there will be a similar one around the same time next year. It looks like it may be Liberty doing those routes next year.

I hope you will have a fabulous time on it. :classic_smile:

Thank you so much!  I hope you get to cruise on that itinerary.  I like cruising out of NJ because well I am close 😂 but they offer some interesting itinerary.  Who knows you might just be able to find Waldo!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Max and Ruby said:

@BennyBrun You mentioned using the gym in your reviews.  Did you have to sign up for a gym reservation?  If so, when do you do this and is there a max time allowed for each reservation?

Thanks in advance!

No gym reservations during my cruise.  You go during operating hours as you please.  They did ask you to wear a mask BUt that’s before 2/14.  So unless something else happens I don’t think you will need reservations for the gym.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

No gym reservations during my cruise.  You go during operating hours as you please.  They did ask you to wear a mask BUt that’s before 2/14.  So unless something else happens I don’t think you will need reservations for the gym.

Thanks again!  Really enjoyed your 2 reviews!

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:25 PM, micruiser2002 said:

But here in the US there are 2 different things.  Jell-o being a type of dessert on it's own or Jelly which is what we normally use on sandwiches.  I honestly have never eaten jelly out the jar as a dessert, not sure if it really is the same as Jell-O.  Also I thought trifle was normally made with fresh fruits?

image.png.8109cf7e79e45d4f92495fddb09a643e.png

We also have two different things:

US Jello = UK Jelly

US Jelly = UK Jam

A trifle would usually be made with Jelly (US Jello) with fruit set inside it - but would never be made with Jam (US Jelly).

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, BennyBrun said:

Day 6 Windjammer

I got this pop over thing … I don’t think it’s a pop over but it’s light flaky and has a custard type thing in the middle.  I am glad I tried it.

79F3B9E0-D8F9-468D-8E82-EF7E31FBF737.jpeg

That looks like what we call a Yorkshire pudding - it's basically a batter that you roast in the oven, usually served with roast beef?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

That looks like what we call a Yorkshire pudding - it's basically a batter that you roast in the oven, usually served with roast beef?

I have had Yorkshire Pudding many times, but it's never had a custard filling inside.  Is the addition of custard a British thing?  I don't even remember having a filing in it when I was in the UK.

33 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I have had Yorkshire Pudding many times, but it's never had a custard filling inside.  Is the addition of custard a British thing?  I don't even remember having a filing in it when I was in the UK.

Not sure it was actually custard, the inside can be a bit more 'liquidy' or soft/ flan like?  If it was an actual custard then no.

Saying that, traditionally yorkshire pudding could also be eaten as a dessert with jam - but now we're straying back into trifle territory 🙂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Donsyb said:

We also have two different things:

US Jello = UK Jelly

US Jelly = UK Jam

A trifle would usually be made with Jelly (US Jello) with fruit set inside it - but would never be made with Jam (US Jelly).

It is really interesting to see the different variations of trifle.  It just goes to show you that what we (US) think might not be what people from other parts of the world thinks when it’s comes to food / recipe.  So while you are on a cruise ship being cared for by an international crew, enjoy what they make, be kind when it comes to food that you might perceive as not being prepared the right way and remember you can always find something else to eat.  I definitely learned something about trifle last week !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Re: lobster night - is it always the same night?  If not, how do you know which night will be lobster night?

TIA

When you are on the ship and connected to the WI-FI check the menu on main dinning to confirm.  It is usually the second dress your best night but again double check on the app or ask at MDR.

• Thanks 1

As we were sailing on this February 6th  cruise, started along with you on the UDP week,and enjoyed seeing everything as we had never been on Oasis before. Didn't find this second one til 2 weeks after being home,but it was fun to revisit the cruise with you! 

We bought 3 dining package,went to Izumi for Hibachi,  which was good.  We were very disappointed with both Park 150 and Chops. Actually,  due to issues with the food at Chops, the waiter set us up for Giovannis for lunch on the last day,  which was the best of all of them.  

We found the beef dishes in the MDR better than their same in the specialties.  The MDR food and service were great all week! 

We typically sail Celebrity,  and will continue to.  

Oasis is not my cup of tea. Too big and busy.  But we generally had a good time, and enjoyed our week. 

Thanks again for your very detailed review and comparison! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookiersmom said:

As we were sailing on this February 6th  cruise, started along with you on the UDP week,and enjoyed seeing everything as we had never been on Oasis before. Didn't find this second one til 2 weeks after being home,but it was fun to revisit the cruise with you! 

We bought 3 dining package,went to Izumi for Hibachi,  which was good.  We were very disappointed with both Park 150 and Chops. Actually,  due to issues with the food at Chops, the waiter set us up for Giovannis for lunch on the last day,  which was the best of all of them.  

We found the beef dishes in the MDR better than their same in the specialties.  The MDR food and service were great all week! 

We typically sail Celebrity,  and will continue to.  

Oasis is not my cup of tea. Too big and busy.  But we generally had a good time, and enjoyed our week. 

Thanks again for your very detailed review and comparison! 

Thank you for coming aboard the virtual cruise.  I agree with you that MDR food / service was amazing and outshines the specialty venue on Oasis of the Sea.  I have also cruises Celebrity before, most recently on the APEX in January and love Celebrity for what they offer.  I also like Royal for what they offer because each offer something different and I enjoy the different experiences.  I am so glad you guys had a great time!!  I just wanted to say that if you thought the first weeks in February were busy then you definitely don’t want to be on Oasis class ships when they are sailing at full capacity!  Now that’s busy!!!  Which is what I am preparing myself for next week when I board Wonder of the Sea.  Excited and intimidated at the same time!

On 2/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, BennyBrun said:

Thank you so much!  I hope you get to cruise on that itinerary.  I like cruising out of NJ because well I am close 😂 but they offer some interesting itinerary.  Who knows you might just be able to find Waldo!

Did you see next year's itinerary on Liberty Benny? I'm kind of disappointed. Two stops in Dom Rep instead of St. Marting and San Juan. That might be enough to make me reconsider the 8-night Anthem itinerary instead. Arguably a better ship and a chance to visit Coco Cay. I'm not sure what to do now. 😞

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Did you see next year's itinerary on Liberty Benny? I'm kind of disappointed. Two stops in Dom Rep instead of St. Marting and San Juan. That might be enough to make me reconsider the 8-night Anthem itinerary instead. Arguably a better ship and a chance to visit Coco Cay. I'm not sure what to do now. 😞

I did.  I am all for trying out new experiences but with Liberty’s stops and comparing it to Anthem’s itinerary, I would go with Anthem (even though I am not a huge quantum class ship fan because I think it’s not big enough to have all the Oasis class’ amenities and it’s too big to be cozy like freedom class).  Anthem is a beautiful ship with a lot of nice touches and I think you will like it better especially with the itinerary.

9 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I did.  I am all for trying out new experiences but with Liberty’s stops and comparing it to Anthem’s itinerary, I would go with Anthem (even though I am not a huge quantum class ship fan because I think it’s not big enough to have all the Oasis class’ amenities and it’s too big to be cozy like freedom class).  Anthem is a beautiful ship with a lot of nice touches and I think you will like it better especially with the itinerary.

Yes I think those two Dom Rep stops are going to be a bust. It doesn't look like there's much to do there except go to the beach and our beaches here in southern Portugal are better. Hopefully by that time the Space Centre will be back to normal and that along with Coco Cay will make the Anthem one a better choice. Thanks for your advice. Appreciate it. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

The virtual cruise for the Wonder of the Sea is starting its embarkation process 😂.  If you would like to follow along and check out the newest ship please follow this new thread!  See you on the Wonder!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:42 PM, RoperDK said:

Thanks for your comparison.  I have cruised on Carnival for 20 years and I used to love the experience.  Good food, good service, loads of fun, and a fair price.  We are giving Royal a fair shake again and revisiting Princess.  Would love to try Celebrity, and probably will, but can't shake the feeling that we will be bored.  Appreciate your live reviews.  So much great info.  Thanks again!  

I'm in the same boat as you, but I've taken the Carnival blinders off years ago.  Started with them in 1986 and have 20+ cruises with them.  While in the Caribbean the new ships on various lines are the destination for us.  When you decide to pull the trigger on Celebrity, go on their newest builds, the Beyond or the Ascent.  Another option is the new Prima Class from NCL with the Prima eventually porting in Galveston and the Viva, porting in San Juan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all the pictures & comments & suggestions!!!  Will be on Oasis for the first time in May & I really enjoyed all of this!  You did a wonderful job & looks like you had a wonderful 2 weeks!