Using the NCL App to Text Message and Call Others on Ship

chas

Tried it on the Bliss and couldn't get it to work when one of us was in a stateroom or public washroom. It only worked in the common areas. It was useful at times, but frustrating when you're texting, "Where are you?" and the person is in an area where it doesn't work.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, ColeThornton said:

Here is the link to the app on NCL.com.

https://www.ncl.com/apps

It says "available for a nominal fee" which was $9.95 if I remember correctly.  DO NOT bring walkie talkies, your fellow cruisers would be annoyed.  🙂

In order to use this service does everone need a wifi package? 

3 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

In order to use this service does everone need a wifi package? 

Using the app for messaging each other is a $10 PER DEVICE fee and is independent of the internet plans.

3 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Yes but lol, no one has answered the main question I have been asking about the messaging app. DOES IT WORK PROPERLY AGAIN? Notifications did not work in February. We were unable to get messages without manually opening the app and checking. 

We were on the Breakaway two weeks ago and I HATED the app. We found that if we were all on the ships intranet we could send messages to other iPhones. It was a lot more reliable way of communicating. We never got charged for the internet package or minutes. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 1:56 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

We were on the Encore in May.  Only logged into the NCL intranet 99% of the time.  Our iPhone messaging worked fine and we weren't charged a penny.

Yes, imessaging works without paying for any internet/ncl app messaging service.  We may want to remove these posts though in case an NCL exec is perusing these boards and locks this function out! 😛

Edited by djfunk

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2023 at 10:28 PM, djfunk said:

Yes, imessaging works without paying for any internet/ncl app messaging service.  We may want to remove these posts though in case an NCL exec is perusing these boards and locks this function out! 😛

What phone service do you have? First time cruiser and I'm wondering how I'm going to communicate with my family. If any past cruisers have been able to do this and also have Verizon please reply to this

11 hours ago, Jellybean326 said:

What phone service do you have? First time cruiser and I'm wondering how I'm going to communicate with my family. If any past cruisers have been able to do this and also have Verizon please reply to this

iMessage is independent of the carrier, it runs strictly over the data network as long as both parties have iPhones have their devices defaulting to the Messages protocol for messaging other iPhone users.

• Like 1

While iMessage amazingly seems to still work, I remember it stopped working intermittently on my last Breakaway cruise.  The app messaging worked pretty well, but it doesn't do push notifications that you got a message, and it badges messages waiting only when it's running - so don't close it.  I had to open it periodically to be sure I had seen any new messages.

4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

While iMessage amazingly seems to still work, I remember it stopped working intermittently on my last Breakaway cruise.  The app messaging worked pretty well, but it doesn't do push notifications that you got a message, and it badges messages waiting only when it's running - so don't close it.  I had to open it periodically to be sure I had seen any new messages.

Did you have to purchase anything extra? We are going to the breakaway this June and since it's international I wasn't sure if I had to purchase anything extra 

6 hours ago, hallux said:

iMessage is independent of the carrier, it runs strictly over the data network as long as both parties have iPhones have their devices defaulting to the Messages protocol for messaging other iPhone users.

So I don't need to purchase an extra plan even if I'm going international? 

4 minutes ago, Jellybean326 said:

Is that only for people on the ship? Or can you go shore to ship as well? Sorry for all the questions I just want to avoid extra charges 

YOU need to be on the ship's WiFi (or some other WiFi in for example a coffee shop), but the other person can be anywhere.

And don't worry about asking questions! 😉 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

We were on the Encore in May.  Only logged into the NCL intranet 99% of the time.  Our iPhone messaging worked fine and we weren't charged a penny.

We were on the Epic in April, Android phones (Google Pixels), and experienced the same.  Only logged in to intranet, our Message app worked between the two of us on the ship, our Blink motion detection notifications came through, and all messages from back home came through. No charges. Interestingly, our friends with iPhones couldn't get their messaging to work.  We had to to logged in and using our WiFi minutes for WhatsApp to come through.  Has to be something on individual ship's set-up.

46 minutes ago, WilsCM said:

We were on the Epic in April, Android phones (Google Pixels), and experienced the same.  ... Has to be something on individual ship's set-up.

Not necessary, it is a well "known" loophole onboard NCL vessels running the WiFi networks & systems, and I'm sure you know there are hidden SSiD that are secured & used by crews only for ship operations, dining & other services that we do not have authorized access to.  Those "ports" are left open for a # of reasons ... rest assured if & when, once they figured out their workaround, these loopholes will be blocked & shut off, without notice or warning, etc.  

Google Pixels, Android and iOS users here with multiple devices / gadgets ... these has worked onboard the Getaway, Joy, Escape, Epic, and Prima lately (since C19 restart ... and before that)  - as end "users", one of the elements in the matrix is our hardware configurations & OS, security and device "settings" 

I've been pointing these out for years, there is a difference between connecting to ship's WiFi inTRAnet (limited, closed loop within the ship's servers/systems) and satellite (external) inTERnet where the signals (and, messages, SMS & push notifications, etc.) are processing, going to and coming from.  

Don't believe for a moment that the I.T. manager and iCafe (internet) manager onboard and Miami HQ have no clues and ideas of what's going on from the standpoint of cyber security & network protocols.  

Enjoy while it last while cruising.