ALASKA CRUISE PCR TEST

susan1957

I am going on a 10 day Alaskan Cruise in May.  Our last port is Victoria, BC....on the Tues.  We arrive back in San Fran on Thur.  Our flight leaves to Toronto at 4:00....My question is....could I get a PCR test in Victoria....for my return to toronto on Thur....from San Fran....

I would get one of the Switch Health tests and do it onboard.  Or pay the extra for a rapid test in SF after disembarking.

Two reasons…

1. the border staff have sometimes been sticky about using a test done in Canada to return to Canada (the telehealth option supposedly works because you’re out of the country SIL doing it, even if the person supervising isn’t)

2. Covid testing in BC is WAY harder to find and much more expensive than in Ontario (my mom lives just outside Victoria and we’ve been researching options for her pre-test for our May Alaska cruise)

The current regulations for those flying into Canada and those arriving by other means have one significant difference: the latter category includes the requirement that the test be taken outside Canada.

Flying to Canada - when to take your test

You must take a molecular test within 72 hours hours of the initial scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada.

If you have a connecting flight:

• the test must be taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your final flight that lands in Canada
  • you may need to schedule the test in your transit city

Cancelled flights: if your flight is cancelled by the airline, there are no extensions to the 72 hour limit for your pre-entry test. If your new scheduled flight is not within the 72 hour period, you’ll need to be retested.

Delayed flights: if your flight is delayed by the airline, your negative COVID-19 molecular test can be used for up to an additional 24 hours (to a maximum of 96 hours) from the scheduled departure time. If the delay causes your test to be more than 96 hours old, you’ll need to be retested.

Airlines may refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result or proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada.

• For example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, the first day you could use it for entry into Canada by land or water would be January 11. If you’re flying, the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada would be January 11.

Special testing requirements for India and Morocco ended on January 28, 2022. Travellers arriving from these countries must follow the same requirements as all travellers, if eligible to enter Canada.

Arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry or train

You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Based on the policy, which only specifies that the test must be taken outside Canada should you be entering by "car, bus, boat, ferry or train", there is no apparent reason why you should not be allowed to proceed with your plan to be tested in Victoria. That said, there have been examples of CBSA officials not being fully conversant with the actual policy, or of instructions provided to the frontline officers that have misinterpreted the policy. In your shoes, I'd contact CBCA at 1-800-461-9999 and ask how they would view your plan.

Of course, whether it would be easier or cheaper to be tested in Victoria than in San Francisco is a different story. Does your cruise line not provide testing at the port? With a 4:00 pm flight home, you will have ample time to get tested there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, susan1957 said:

I am going on a 10 day Alaskan Cruise in May.  Our last port is Victoria, BC....on the Tues.  We arrive back in San Fran on Thur.  Our flight leaves to Toronto at 4:00....My question is....could I get a PCR test in Victoria....for my return to toronto on Thur....from San Fran....

If it was me, I would try and get the PCR test on the ship by the ship medical team.  Less hassles and less running around.  I know Princess does this at $100 per person. You make appointment within 3 days of your flight home and then you sit around the pool with a cold one in your hand waiting for your test results. 

The channel to the outer harbour of Victoria is fairly narrow.  Marine conditions will impact whether your ship is able to dock or the port is cancelled.  We made a few attempts on one of our trips but didn’t make it.  Something to consider.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DHP1 said:

If it was me, I would try and get the PCR test on the ship by the ship medical team.  Less hassles and less running around.  I know Princess does this at $100 per person. You make appointment within 3 days of your flight home and then you sit around the pool with a cold one in your hand waiting for your test results. 

Not on CARNIVAL

4 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

Not on CARNIVAL

You need to ask them. I know Princess doesn’t advertise this in there website. My cruise planner told me this and was confirmed by Princess online chat. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

OK....SOUNDS like this idea is not going to work....so help me out here....my flight leaves at 4:00 pm from San Fran....where do I get my PCR test done and results in time for my flight....

Switch Health. You can do it on board. The next alternative is get tested at the airport. However, stay tune there is a big moved today within the government to get rid of PCR testing when entering Canada. Since your cruise in May, you maybe okay. Cross your fingers. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 6:42 AM, bookbabe said:

I would get one of the Switch Health tests and do it onboard.  Or pay the extra for a rapid test in SF after disembarking.

Two reasons…

1. the border staff have sometimes been sticky about using a test done in Canada to return to Canada (the telehealth option supposedly works because you’re out of the country SIL doing it, even if the person supervising isn’t)

2. Covid testing in BC is WAY harder to find and much more expensive than in Ontario (my mom lives just outside Victoria and we’ve been researching options for her pre-test for our May Alaska cruise)

#2 - if your Mom can get to the Victoria airport (YYJ), they have a Covid testing facility there.  Both rapid Antigen and PCR tests.  I am flying to Seattle in May for an Alaska cruise and have an appointment booked at YYJ the day before my flight. The antigen test is $70.  Go online to the YYJ website and you'll find the info.

Edited by Luckysll
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Luckysll said:

#2 - if your Mom can get to the Victoria airport (YYJ), they have a Covid testing facility there.  Both rapid Antigen and PCR tests.  I am flying to Seattle in May for an Alaska cruise and have an appointment booked at YYJ the day before my flight. The antigen test is $70.  Go online to the YYJ website and you'll find the info.

They do Covid testing at her local airport, Comox, but it’s not really the finding that’s the issue it’s the costs.  For example, an antigen test in Ontario can be found at almost any Costco for $16.  The “expensive” antigen tests are available at almost any Shoppers Drug Mart for $40.  Tests in BC are available, but comparatively, they are harder to find and much more expensive.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, DHP1 said:

Switch Health. You can do it on board. The next alternative is get tested at the airport. However, stay tune there is a big moved today within the government to get rid of PCR testing when entering Canada. Since your cruise in May, you maybe okay. Cross your fingers. 

I know...isn't that great news....I'm hoping it will be at the end of this month they say....in time for my March 26 cruise, cross my fingers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, susan1957 said:

I know...isn't that great news....I'm hoping it will be at the end of this month they say....in time for my March 26 cruise, cross my fingers

Agreed.  Hopefully the GOC won’t treat cruisers any differently than any other type of vacation, even when double vaccinated.  

On 2/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Luckysll said:

Hello Lucksyll,

I looked on YYJ website and cannot fine the antigen test for $70.  $175 for 48 hours and more for same day result.

Grace

On 2/11/2022 at 9:24 PM, Luckysll said:

2 hours ago, lost4sure said:

Hello Lucksyll,

I looked on YYJ website and cannot fine the antigen test for $70.  $175 for 48 hours and more for same day result.

Grace

The testing site at YYJ does not offer antigen testing according to the testing facility's website:

“NB – our facility does not offer serology or antigen testing. We are a PCR testing facility only.”

https://www.connectusglobal.com/victoria-airport-testing-facility/