Elegant Night - Recent Experiences for attire

jiggs

4 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Did you have early dining, late dining, or ATD?   I've always wondered if there was any correlation between dining time and the number of people who dress up.   

We did ATD - ate around 5:45.  

On 2/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, dezertcruzer said:

As people who have to fly across the country for a cruise, we stopped lugging all those heavy clothes along years ago when it got so expensive to do so.  No suit or sport coat for my husband, just khakis and a long sleeve shirt and tie.  For me just black pants and a pretty top.  That's about as fancy as we get in our old age!

Good for you.

Have a great relaxed cruise!!😅

8 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

IAre you really entertaining the thought or hope that things have changed back to the old days when tuxes were more commonly worn?  What's the likelihood?  

I read this after I posted it, and it could be interpreted as an attack which it is not.  

I know I'm in the minority but I would go back to black tie formal for sure.  Yes it is vacation, yes I know 'Billy in jeans and a button down flannel is his formal' I get it, I don't judge or care.

I ask because I'd rather just rather know going in what the newer normal is and adapt rather than show up as the dude wearing the pizza costume when everyone else is a domino.

• Like 3

I feel like some of it depends on where you are cruising from? When we've cruised from NOLA or Galveston, folks were dressed more formally than when we've cruised out of California. I saw lots of cocktail and formal dresses/suits on those cruises, versus maxi dresses and button down shirts when we've cruised from Long Beach. 

Anyone else had this experience? I always just kind of shoot for middle of the road, and ended up quite over dressed! But planning for the Panorama for Spring Break and admit it's much more convenient to just bring a maxi!

33 minutes ago, KatieBug28 said:

I feel like some of it depends on where you are cruising from? When we've cruised from NOLA or Galveston, folks were dressed more formally than when we've cruised out of California. I saw lots of cocktail and formal dresses/suits on those cruises, versus maxi dresses and button down shirts when we've cruised from Long Beach. 

Anyone else had this experience? I always just kind of shoot for middle of the road, and ended up quite over dressed! But planning for the Panorama for Spring Break and admit it's much more convenient to just bring a maxi!

I havnt cruised out of CA for a long time and have also been doing alot of NCL

Cruised out of Galveston for 10years on CCL and RCCL 1 common theme was Ironed jeans, sharp looking cowboy boots and a Stetson was the popular choice on formal nights.

For those that dress up on first elegant night i will be one of them.

Second elegant will be dress slacks and long sleeved shirt.

I really dont care if another man thinks im overdressed

I know every woman likes a sharp dressed man

Btw my DW will be outshining me

• Like 1

I remember cruising back in the 90's, I would bring a garment bag with TWO suits for a 7 night cruise. Now, in the days of "no free checked bags" when flying economy (I don't fly on Southwest), I just pack a carry-on bag, so it's a dress shirt & tie for me. I think anymore, a tux would look out of place on Carnival.

• Like 1

We still do the formal route  - tuxedo and long gown.   We definitely are not alone in this attire, but there are more people not as dressed up.  Surprisingly, there are a lot of people that do dress nicely with a suit or sport coat and cocktail dresses.  

• Like 2

We've done 4 cruises since the restart, the most recent being last week on Valor, three of those cruises we at least 7 days, so I've been to a total of 7 formal nights.  All were pretty similar in that there was a broad range of dressiness from business casual up to tuxedos and evening gowns.  I have never seen anyone in shorts and flip flops in the dining room on formal night though, if someone actually did I'd have to say that was a rare exception.  

Personally, I don't care much for dressing up any more and go with decent jeans and a polo shirt.  

Formal night is out dated.  As long as people continue to fly and more and more weight restrictions on checked bag and fees who wants to bring extra heavy clothing.  Change is a part of evolution.  The dress code is not like it used to be. Especially since covid it has forever changed hiw we dress for work. Less suits are being sold.  Formal nig(t was to sell pictures.  Let it go… it had its time. Lets move forward.  

• Like 4

This is my formal night attire on another cruise line last week.   
Ive worn shorts at work my entire career and I just never wear pants.  
only time I wear pants is when it’s below 30°.  
and when I’m cruising I cruise to be comfortable and relaxed. 
I don’t have anyone to tell me what to wear. And if I did she wouldn’t be with me anymore. 
what you wear doesn’t make the person. 
i don’t judge people by their attire. 
if you want to go all out.   Go for it.  I actually like to see families get dressed up and taking their pictures.   But you can do that any night on a cruise ship.  You don’t have to wait till someone tells you to do it.  
I’m on vacation. I’m retired. I want to relax. 
but you go for it. I won’t hold it against ya.  

heres a pic of my formal night attire.    

many guys have given me thumbs up. Some have said. My wife would kill me if I wore that.  Lololol. 

#retiredUPSdriver

23193B37-1D9F-4003-A63F-4DFF40B49ED7.jpeg

• Like 2

I worked in banking for 40 years and wore a suit everyday for 35 years. The last 5 years we went to business casual. I ate lunch for 35 years in a suit everyday. Enough is enough. I am on vacation. If you want to dress up, please do. I am wearing a  casual shirt and Dockers on Elegant Night.

• Like 2

In my opinion, no one really notices what others are wearing in the dining room unless they look extremely out of place. After approaching the podium to be seated, you walk to your table and are occupied with your own dinner and table mates. 

Walking around the ship on formal nights:

there are people/groups that stand out to me as they are getting pictures taken because they have made an effort to dress up. 

• Like 1

On a previous cruise, I saw a person that appeared to be retired wearing his Marine dress uniform with ribbons on formal night. I appreciate his service for our country. He got a lot of stares from people because the dress appeared out of place on a Carnival Ship. The uniform looked good!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

On a previous cruise, I saw a person that appeared to be retired wearing his Marine dress uniform with ribbons on formal night. I appreciate his service for our country. He got a lot of stares from people because the dress appeared out of place on a Carnival Ship. The uniform looked good!

I had the same experience last year on a cruise 2 weeks before covid shut down.   
a gentleman in a general’s uniform and his son in a sgt’s uniform with their family.   They looked awesome in their dress uniforms. 
I made a point after dinner to walk up them their table and thank them and their family for the service and commitment to our country.  
I was wearing this.   And they guys all said to me.   Love your tuxedo shirt and wish we could all wear that too.  But they said their wives would kill them.   We all laughed.   And I let them go about the rest of their night.   

551B127F-9B95-49AB-A4EB-0B6704CDA0A7.jpeg

• Haha 1

I have been on 4 cruises so far since the return of cruising.  I have my favorite elegant night attire of black jeans (never pressed!), short sleeved guayabera shirt and my athletic shoes of course (feet problems).  I have never had a problem and wore this before the shutdown in 2020.  To those that want to wear fancy clothes more to them but I prefer being comfortable as a retiree.

• Like 1