The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

I think I know the answer to this, but I'mma ask anyway ... could one email the pre-cruise Haven email people and request a particular butler?  I imagine not because they are assigned areas/rooms .... anyone ever done that? 

My daughter and I adored the butler we had in March and I would love to have him again next month when my husband and I sail.  Same deck, but on the other side.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

I think I know the answer to this, but I'mma ask anyway ... could one email the pre-cruise Haven email people and request a particular butler?  I imagine not because they are assigned areas/rooms .... anyone ever done that? 

My daughter and I adored the butler we had in March and I would love to have him again next month when my husband and I sail.  Same deck, but on the other side.

I never hurts to ask.  As you imply, there are factors that govern butler assignments, but you might luck out.  If the on-board concierge is aware of your preference, it might be arranged.  The worst that could happen would be a courteous no.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

if someone wins a bid for a suite in the Haven, does it come with the Butler? and can you forfeit the Butler if you have no use for them?

Yes, if you win  Haven suite the perks are all the same as if you where to outright book it, with the exception is that you don't receive double latitude points. As far as forfeiting the Butler, no reason to. If you don't need him for anything simply don't utilize him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/10/2022 at 10:49 PM, pno4te said:

Well, let's get it out of the way and say we like the Yacht Club better.  That is not to say The Haven wasn't lovely!  Our preference is purely personal.  We had the most amazing cabin... it was HUGE because it was accessible and our amazing concierge Dilip went out of his way to make certain our stay was all it could be.  Out butler Jojit was also wonderful.  However, we found the lounge area to be small/cramped and have been spoiled by the views from the YC lounges.  One bartender and one wait person and truly, that is all that was needed.  We weren't fans of the enclosed pool area particularly and the sun deck was packed so we didn't spend much time up there.  The food in the restaurant was very good and presented beautifully but the lack of variety made us very happy we had the specialty dining package to use 3 nights.  Would we stay in The Haven again?  Possibly if we got a fantastic deal.  Would we stay in the YC again?  Always.

Thank you for your opinions!  We have not tried MSC and are thinking they might be our next try on the suite offerings.  

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 12:32 PM, Homeport5 said:

Thank you for your opinions!  We have not tried MSC and are thinking they might be our next try on the suite offerings.  

@Homeport5 The NCL Haven; Celebrity Retreat; and the MSC Yacht Club are obviously all "Ship-within-a-Ship" concepts. Each have Pros/Cons.  For example, as much as I love the dining in the Haven Restaurant, the Celebrity Retreat Suites Only Restaurant has a menu that changes every day/night.  Where the Haven stays the same all week. 

The MSC Yacht Club has a much bigger area for the folks in the Yacht Club with a bigger private pool.  Yet they are not known for great entertainment.  Pros/Cons.  One thing we all never really talk about is other brands like Oceania Cruises.  Oceania is designed where everyone is treated the same when you leave your stateroom.  Kind of like a Haven/Retreat/Yacht Club on steriods for the entire ship.  Currently you can cruise with Oceania (Premium Plus Category) in a Penthouse for less then the Mainstream Brands for in some cases less.  

The Con to Oceania is it is a smaller ship, less entertainment options and an older crowd.  The Pros are the dining which is the best and the investment compared to other "Ship-in-a-Ship" options.  All I am saying is look at everything, know what you really like and choose accordingly.  

Last note, I have been traveling in the Haven and writing about it for a very long time.  I want folks to know, you can have a great time in another stateroom with a great Haven Lite Strategy.  Hope all this makes sense.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 8:46 PM, Sthrngary said:

Last note, I have been traveling in the Haven and writing about it for a very long time.  I want folks to know, you can have a great time in another stateroom with a great Haven Lite Strategy.  Hope all this makes sense.

I agree 100%.  Our MSC YC cruise that was a S2S with our Haven experience was canceled the week before we left for Rome.  We quickly rebooked the Escape for a second week (with almost the exact same itinerary) but The Haven accessible cabin was not available. We moved to an aft-facing cabin and booked a few specialty restaurants and found a less busy bar and "voila"... had our own Haven Lite.  Loved every bit of that week also!

Edited by pno4te
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple of questions from a Haven rookie. 

1.  Were traveling with another couple, how easy is it to make dining reservations using our concierge onboard?  

2.  Do they have reserved seating for Haven guests at the show venues?

we’ll be on the Escape 12/3 sailing. 

1 minute ago, smeck said:

A couple of questions from a Haven rookie. 

1.  Were traveling with another couple, how easy is it to make dining reservations using our concierge onboard?  

we’ll be on the Escape 12/3 sailing. 

Reservations are simple most of the time, yes there is assigned Haven seating in theater 

13 minutes ago, smeck said:

The Haven Restaurant does not take reservations. Please keep that in mind.  Also, if your friends are not in the Haven, there is a cost and you have to gain permission for them to join you in the Haven Restaurant.  As it relates to reservations on Specialty , just ask the Concierge.  I think a better strategy is to book your Specialty Restaurants online 130 days prior to the cruise for priority day/times. 

16 minutes ago, smeck said:

The big productions shows in the Main Theater have a Haven section on the left side of the stage.  It is nice to have access but depending on the show, I simply sit where I want anyway.  For example, one show I sat in the third row center (advice i got from a comment) another show I was the last row by the exit.  The one thing that must be said, the smaller venues like the Comedy Store or Cavern Club is first come first served even for Haven.  Lots of post on this issue and one must not expect special seating for these smaller venues even if someone online claims they were allowed in before the door opens.

We all have to remember that setting realistic expectations to what you get and don't get allows for less disappointment when the reality of the cruise happens.  I hope that post is helpful.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 8:46 PM, Sthrngary said:

@Homeport5 The NCL Haven; Celebrity Retreat; and the MSC Yacht Club are obviously all "Ship-within-a-Ship" concepts. Each have Pros/Cons.  For example, as much as I love the dining in the Haven Restaurant, the Celebrity Retreat Suites Only Restaurant has a menu that changes every day/night.  Where the Haven stays the same all week. 

The MSC Yacht Club has a much bigger area for the folks in the Yacht Club with a bigger private pool.  Yet they are not known for great entertainment.  Pros/Cons.  One thing we all never really talk about is other brands like Oceania Cruises.  Oceania is designed where everyone is treated the same when you leave your stateroom.  Kind of like a Haven/Retreat/Yacht Club on steriods for the entire ship.  Currently you can cruise with Oceania (Premium Plus Category) in a Penthouse for less then the Mainstream Brands for in some cases less.  

The Con to Oceania is it is a smaller ship, less entertainment options and an older crowd.  The Pros are the dining which is the best and the investment compared to other "Ship-in-a-Ship" options.  All I am saying is look at everything, know what you really like and choose accordingly.  

Couldn't agree more!  We have had great times on all ships (so far) no matter the cabin.  We try to take advantage of the special circumstance/opportunity each ship offers.  The perks always seem to differ from ship to ship.  Cannot wait to try the smaller/older ships once our teenagers are not with us.  Due to their cruising experience, our teenagers are total "foodies" and love to just read a book on deck so...maybe we should consider the smaller/slower ships like Oceania now!  We are kind of on a quest to try them all.

9 minutes ago, FM said:

If as a Haven guest, one  chooses a boarding time of 10-1030 AM, that doesn't mean that your Haven room is ready for occupancy does it?  Thanks.

no.

typically, room readiness is announced at the same time for the haven as any other stateroom. however, i have always been able to drop my bag off and put things in the safe, after a quick introduction and with the permission of the room steward.

also typically, even with a  "check-in" time of 10 AM, you're probably not boarding the ship till 11:30 or noon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, Sthrngary said:

When you cruise opens up for On-Line Registration, which is 21 days prior if I am not mistaken.  Get on right away and choose the earliest boarding time available.  It is usually 09:00 AM.  Show up at the port at 08:15 AM to 08:30 AM.  There will already be a line and get on it.  

When you get in, you will move extremely fast.  Have your information and covid cards (if they still ask for them) ready to go.  Move directly to where they register you.  It will be pretty seamless.

The Taxi that took my to the port had some issues getting there because of the construction that is always by the port.  So take that into consideration.  That is the approach I will be using also.  I hope that helps.

We were at the port at 10 AM.  Guess we need to get there sooner.

Where are you staying in New Orleans?

1 hour ago, Av8torcrj said:

Another post concerning the Breakaway has the haven staff moving loungers out of the pool area and adding tables to accommodate restaurant seating. Is this typical? 

The Breakaway and the Getaway have tables in the Haven Courtyard.  Not sure why they would need to move lounge chairs out but that is one nice place to have lunch.  That is my memory anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, mearsfansinboise said:

UPDATE:  I reached out to the Haven concierge email and they said they would contact the ship concierge and find out; but that butler assignments weren't made until the week of the sailing.  I just heard back from them, who heard back from the ship and was informed that our requested butler is not on that ship at the moment.  I understand they take x time off and can change ships, no questions there - I'm just pleased that they made the effort for us.

But then they offered more - they asked me (before I asked them) about pillows and if we wanted anything else in the refrigerator (in addition to juices they offered iced tea and lemonade).

My husband is a cancer patient and will need some assistance - just getting on and off the ship (too much of a walk for him, but he should otherwise be ok).  They immediately put a note on the reservation, had someone else contact us and ask us for other assistance needs, and wanted to make sure that everything was taken care of and noted everywhere for the assist.

I have been very impressed with the pre-sailing concierge service this time (I was last time too, just didn't need or ask for much though). 

We sail 3 weeks from today! 🎉

• Like 4

On 9/20/2022 at 4:14 PM, Av8torcrj said:

Another post concerning the Breakaway has the haven staff moving loungers out of the pool area and adding tables to accommodate restaurant seating. Is this typical? 

We were on Breakaway last March.   There was one family who took their breakfast and lunches in the pool area.  I saw no one else there.  I think they dined there because they typically had eight being served and most were young kids.

On 9/24/2022 at 10:39 AM, RocketMan275 said:

We were on Breakaway last March.   There was one family who took their breakfast and lunches in the pool area.  I saw no one else there.  I think they dined there because they typically had eight being served and most were young kids.

Yeah back last October they already had tables and no loungers down in the pool area in the Breakaway. I think it’s because they don’t have the outdoor seating that they added in the Escape and later ships. Back on that cruise we saw people eating lunch on those tables all the time, and we ate breakfast out there ourselves almost every day, it just felt nice and bright and airy to eat out there instead of inside the restaurant. 

On 9/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, Sthrngary said:

It is interesting that now Princess looks to be getting in on this Ship within a Ship concept with their new ship the Sun (Sphere Class).  They are going to call it the Signature Collection.  It will be interesting to see what their take is on this idea.  "Introducing the Signature Collection, exclusively on Sun Princess®. In addition to premium stateroom amenities, Signature Collection Suites include access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and private Signature Sun Deck, a private area of the Sanctuary."

On 9/18/2022 at 6:39 PM, FM said:

If as a Haven guest, one  chooses a boarding time of 10-1030 AM, that doesn't mean that your Haven room is ready for occupancy does it?  Thanks.

Haven will board between 10:30-11:00am normally.... just after the ship is cleared to zero. Cabins won't be ready,  you will be taken to the Haven courtyard area were they explain how things work etc... My wife and I were able to first drop off our carry on's in our cabin. Cabins were ready about Noon

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Haven will board between 10:30-11:00am normally.... just after the ship is cleared to zero. Cabins won't be ready,  you will be taken to the Haven courtyard area were they explain how things work etc... My wife and I were able to first drop off our carry on's in our cabin. Cabins were ready about Noon

Our check-in time is 9-9:30 (we've never had one that early). 

So, we'll sit for an hour +/- in the Haven area of check-in and then be taken on board first, is that what you're saying?  And, if rooms won't be ready yet .... is there eat or drink yet?  Like if we hang out in the Haven observation lounge where they usually have a little buffet of snacks, will that be ready yet?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

Our check-in time is 9-9:30 (we've never had one that early). 

So, we'll sit for an hour +/- in the Haven area of check-in and then be taken on board first, is that what you're saying?  And, if rooms won't be ready yet .... is there eat or drink yet?  Like if we hang out in the Haven observation lounge where they usually have a little buffet of snacks, will that be ready yet?

Yes, in the Haven check in lounge at the terminal they will have snacks and drinks. Once you board the ship they will take you to the Haven lounge area of the ship. They will have drinks and food, the Conceriges will explain how things work. Cabins should be ready shortly after

Haven Boarding......

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1