The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

5 minutes ago, globetrotterjay said:

I read your original post before I embarked on Joy’s Haven penthouse suite in February and just reread with excitement as I’ll be in the Haven once again on Epic next year!

I will be staying in the Haven Spa Suite this time around and curious how it’ll feel to not be “in” Haven proper. I did hit the gym 5/7 days last cruise so being moments away from the gym this time will be appreciated. I floated 6 days on Carnival Vista a few years back where I stayed in a spa suite; can’t wait to compare thermal spas!

I intend to write a letter for my butler this time! Last time I verbally requested fresh oj for mimosas and was told fresh oj is only available at select times. Perhaps requesting in advance will work out better.

Could you/someone please be able to answer this? I’d like for my

butler to bring Starbucks coffee to my room. Last cruise I’d go there straight from the gym and felt gross all sweaty when others are looking nice. If I have the premium package that includes Starbucks, would that insinuate no additional fee for the butler to provide this service?

Thanks in advance, Jeni 🙂

The Butler USUALLY will NOT be able to bring you Starbucks from the Starbucks shop.  However if you request all room service from the Haven Restaurants. The Coffee at the Haven is usually Starbucks.  The French Press is a little strong but lovely.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 hour ago, globetrotterjay said:

I read your original post before I embarked on Joy’s Haven penthouse suite in February and just reread with excitement as I’ll be in the Haven once again on Epic next year!

I will be staying in the Haven Spa Suite this time around and curious how it’ll feel to not be “in” Haven proper. I did hit the gym 5/7 days last cruise so being moments away from the gym this time will be appreciated. I floated 6 days on Carnival Vista a few years back where I stayed in a spa suite; can’t wait to compare thermal spas!

I intend to write a letter for my butler this time! Last time I verbally requested fresh oj for mimosas and was told fresh oj is only available at select times. Perhaps requesting in advance will work out better.

Could you/someone please be able to answer this? I’d like for my

butler to bring Starbucks coffee to my room. Last cruise I’d go there straight from the gym and felt gross all sweaty when others are looking nice. If I have the premium package that includes Starbucks, would that insinuate no additional fee for the butler to provide this service?

Thanks in advance, Jeni 🙂

Starbucks is supposed to be an additional fee, even with the P+.I say “supposed to” because some butlers will do it, but it’s not the rule.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Before I write this I want everyone to know, I might have had a few Tequila's in honor of my next cruise being 40 days away.  Please take that under advisement.  

In November of 2021, my family and I cruised on the NCL Joy in one of the two (2) Haven H2 Deluxe Owners Suites with Large Balcony.  I bring this up because that suite has what most folks love about the Aft Haven Suites which was a large balcony.  

The front of the ship has the wind so when it is NOT moving, it is just fine.  When it is moving it is really windy.  The Aft of the ship the wind is never an issue.  The vibration and engene smell is an issue for some.  You simply can't win.  I feel the same way about being in the Haven Proper and outside of the Haven.  

Sure the walk to the Haven is as long as 5-minutes.  However the suite makes up for it. Most of the suites in the Haven proper has small balconies.  I never had an issue being in the Haven Proper or the Aft.  Everyone has to understand, there is NO perfect situation.  I am currently in a Club Balcony Suite.  If I could get a fair upgrade to the Haven, regardless of where the suite is located, I would take it in a heart beat.  

Now lets put the question of Haven proper vs. other Haven Rooms aside.  Weigh what make your cruise the best it can be, knowing all you know now.  You simply can't lose with a Haven Stateroom.  I miss all the Haven can provide.  That said, I will be happy just to cruise again.  If you are on my cruise on December 4, 2022, on the NCL Breakaway in the Haven; If you like this stream and others I have done.  Please show me pity and highjack me a Haven Almond Croissant.  I don't need a Butler, I only need a Haven Almond Croissant only available in the Haven.  Please don't make me beg, LOL.

Cruise well and enjoy every HAVEN moment.

Ummmm ... I just sailed the Haven and I know not of these almond croissants?!  What, where ... oh wait, wait wait wait is it this thing at the top of my plate?

AlmondCroissant.jpg

Edited by mearsfansinboise
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The NCL Haven Challenge:  I want to challenge everyone who is in the Haven regardless of ship, itinerary or date. Make new friends with someone on CruiseCritic.com and if they would like one, give them a tour of the Haven.  

Sometimes we are fortunate in life and business to budget the Haven.  Other times we got a bit lucky and won an upgrade bid to the Haven.  The whole purpose of this thread was to give a guest perspective of the Haven so others have better more accurate information to consider it in the future. 

Pay your Haven Experience forward with a new friend with a tour.  Make sure you get them an Almond Croissant because they are the very best part of the Haven Experience, LOL.  But seriously, These little treats will change your life. 

This topic and stream has gone on for years.  That is good because lots of folks have been educated so their experience was improved.  The challenge is this stream is HUGE and lots of little nuggets are within the comments.  Nothing is better then seeing it for yourself.  Just my two cents. 

I received a CruiseCritic tote many years ago for posting a review on the main site.  I use it every time I cruise and wish someone would say something.  I would love to make a CC friend on a ship!  Even like the lady who posted on another thread about being on my sailing last week and having a dud butler - I wish I would have known her then and could have told her what we were getting and what she could have asked for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, Sundiego said:

I totally agree with this 🙂 I'm an Excel junkie who is also a control freak and and my husband appreciates this because he's the opposite and feels blessed to have someone with the patience to do the planning. To me, planning is half the fun and tracking the pesky details isn't work, it's satisfying. 

Enjoy your posts, Gary!!

Denise

Totally agree. Love my excel. I left my hubby to plan one trip to Vegas and we were eating hot dogs at the hotel wandering the streets with zero plans in place ! Never again !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Starbucks is supposed to be an additional fee, even with the P+.I say “supposed to” because some butlers will do it, but it’s not the rule.

To clarify so folks will not be confused.  Starbucks at the official Starbuck Counter is complementary with the premium plus beverage package. Starbucks in the Haven Restaurant is complementary even if you don't have the Premium Plus Beverage Package. On the larger ships, in the Haven Observation Lounge, the machine that does specialty coffee uses Starbucks brand and is wonderful. 

As it relates to Butlers.  Starbucks from the Starbucks Counter, falls under the same rules as alcoholic beverages.  The Policy is to charge.  That is why, I always suggest that if you are in the Haven, you insist that all of your Room Service comes from the Haven Restaurant which uses Starbucks beans. 

The reason I am clarifying this is to avoid the expectation that the butler bring Starbucks from the Starbucks counter.  That said, it is possible a Butler might do something nice like this yet it is not NCL Policy. Establishing realistic expectations is one of the key reason for this and other topics.  I in no way want to establish myself as some sort of expert or "Know it All".  This is simply something I experienced.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The NCL Haven Challenge:  I want to challenge everyone who is in the Haven regardless of ship, itinerary or date. Make new friends with someone on CruiseCritic.com and if they would like one, give them a tour of the Haven.  

Sometimes we are fortunate in life and business to budget the Haven.  Other times we got a bit lucky and won an upgrade bid to the Haven.  The whole purpose of this thread was to give a guest perspective of the Haven so others have better more accurate information to consider it in the future. 

Pay your Haven Experience forward with a new friend with a tour.  Make sure you get them an Almond Croissant because they are the very best part of the Haven Experience, LOL.  But seriously, These little treats will change your life. 

This topic and stream has gone on for years.  That is good because lots of folks have been educated so their experience was improved.  The challenge is this stream is HUGE and lots of little nuggets are within the comments.  Nothing is better then seeing it for yourself.  Just my two cents. 

We have 150 people scheduled for our Breakaway Meet n Greet November 6th and look forward to sharing our experience.  I may even share my spreadsheet 🙂

Edited by 2boyzmom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I try to sign up for all the roll calls for our trips, and if there's a cabin crawl I always volunteer our room for a tour. When we were on the Star in May we threw a little party in there as that room was way too big to NOT have one. 

image.thumb.png.910524d1f3a38a7931a749952a34a7a7.png

My upcoming trips are always in my signature. If anyone is tagging along, just say the word and the tour is yours. We've converted several folks we met on our travels into future Haven guests... would be nice if there was some sort of kickback 😛 

Not sure why, but the tours usually end up with everyone talking in the bathrooms in those bigger rooms. Guess cause they're so big and because you can? 

But challenge accepted... I'll have a Miami Vice in my hand on the first day of all my trips, and we usually attend at least one wine tasting event just to remind us what we already know. Where's my fellow team Puppy Dog Eyes winners?

Edited by Sailing12Away
Added the photo from the Star garden villa tour/party

21 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

would be nice if there was some sort of kickback 😛 

LOL, we are talking about NCL.  There are no Kickback for sure.  I wish.  Great post and thank you so much.

42 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

I may even share my spreadsheet 🙂

Funny story.  On my NCL Joy family vacation.  We waited so long, has so many disappointments, I did a "Journey Document" to pass the time.  It was about 25 pages with everything from my spread sheet to our covid-19 cards.  As the time passed I would add things just because I was bored.  When my family had one of their many questions, usually asked about two days before we were to leave; I would give them a professionally bound copy of that document.  

I remember posting about it on CruiseCritic.com.  While I was sitting at one of the bar stools at the Haven Bar.  Yes, I felt fortunate to have a bar stool their one random night.  Usually, they were all taken.  A very nice woman asked me if I was Sthrngary.  I of course said yes.  She asked if she could see my "Journey Document".  Actually, we got to talking and I brought up the document because I was dying to show some one outside of my family, lol.  I ran back to my suite and go it.  She found her husband and said, "See honey, this is the guy.  He plans even more than I do."

So by all means, share the spread sheet.  Be proud of it.  Enjoy the hard work you did and nothing wrong with taking a bow.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 10/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sthrngary said:

You make both a funny and good point.  The way I look at it, NCL did their job.  They made a place called the Haven Bar a place where folks really like to sit, meet others and enjoy.  Once they found out about it, their next design of a ship expanded this area.  

I have always had so much fun at the Haven Bar meeting new folks.  It is so much easier to engage at a bar then at small tables with couches. The part of this whole subject that is interesting is many come to the Haven, pay the premium to get away from "Pool Chair Hogs", "Theatre Chair Hogs" and we created out own Haven version.  Interesting isn't it? 

So happy to hear this!  We love every cruise no matter what but really like the ability to meet new fellow travelers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homeport5 said:

So happy to hear this!  We love every cruise no matter what but really like the ability to meet new fellow travelers!

Meeting new people is some of the most fun of any vacation for us. After all, it's likely we would never run across them if it weren't on vacation. As an added bonus, 'most' people are in really good moods while they are on vacation!

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 6:56 PM, Sthrngary said:

The reason I am clarifying this is to avoid the expectation that the butler bring Starbucks from the Starbucks counter.  That said, it is possible a Butler might do something nice like this yet it is not NCL Policy. Establishing realistic expectations is one of the key reason for this and other topics.  I in no way want to establish myself as some sort of expert or "Know it All".  This is simply something I experienced.   

Gary, just popping in to share that I get Starbucks lattes (from the counter) every day from my butlers ever since NCL started that partnership. It's never been an issue or raised an eyebrow. That said, Starbucks (from the counter) is NOT free. I just give the butler my card and he/she has me sign the receipt when they come back. So this is absolutely a thing you can expect a butler to be able to do. 😊

On a related note, I absolutely hate the Starbucks coffee blend that NCL has been using in the Haven French press coffee - so strong and bitter - ugh! I miss the fabulous Illy coffee they used to use so much! 😭

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Gary, just popping in to share that I get Starbucks lattes (from the counter) every day from my butlers ever since NCL started that partnership. It's never been an issue or raised an eyebrow. That said, Starbucks (from the counter) is NOT free. I just give the butler my card and he/she has me sign the receipt when they come back. So this is absolutely a thing you can expect a butler to be able to do. 😊

On a related note, I absolutely hate the Starbucks coffee blend that NCL has been using in the Haven French press coffee - so strong and bitter - ugh! I miss the fabulous Illy coffee they used to use so much! 😭

It's a shame they don't make Nespresso pods with with illy coffee.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today is 130 days out on my Breakaway Cruise from NOLA next march.  

Today I received an email from the pre-cruise concierge desk explaining what they can do.  The email provided a phone number and an email.

I called and was able to make my dining reservations plus some specific requests such as unsweetened ice tea in the fridge and only sugar free drinks.  Also was able to request some peanut m&ms. (Yes, I know, sugar free and M&Ms.  It's a cruise.)  Forgot to ask about potato chips.  I'll talk to the butler about that.  

One other thing.  There have been a few questions here about the pillow menu which no one could address so I asked about that.  The menu is four choices.  They are:

Hypoallergenic

Memory foam

Overfilled foam

Featherdown

I requested the hypoallergenic for the wife.

I'm bringing my own pillow. It's a travel pillow from My Pillow.

Also had a nice conversation about a future cruise we're planning to Alaska.

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to write all this.  I just put down a deposit for a Haven spa suite for our next cruise.  I have a couple of questions which hopefully you know the answers.  First one:  If I want the butler to put in a few cans of soda in the fridge, each day-- Does the suite get charged for that?  Do you happen to know how much per can?  So far I have the basic Free at Sea plan which includes fountain drinks-   Just trying to understand "the system"---

Also regarding specialty restaurants:  Is the included Free at Sea restaurants- two meals per person, or two meals per cabin?  I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to the plus plan.  We drink a lot of coffee and plain water, but just drink a margarita, tequilla sunrise, whisky sour type of stuff very occasionally--- We both like to drink diet soda at lunch and dinner--- and a couple of sodas here and there in our cabin. If the canned soda is really over the top with pricing, then we will just stick to water and juice in the cabin.   Thanks in advance for any info you can share with this.  Anita

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Today is 130 days out on my Breakaway Cruise from NOLA next march.  

Today I received an email from the pre-cruise concierge desk explaining what they can do.  The email provided a phone number and an email.

I called and was able to make my dining reservations plus some specific requests such as unsweetened ice tea in the fridge and only sugar free drinks.  Also was able to request some peanut m&ms. (Yes, I know, sugar free and M&Ms.  It's a cruise.)  Forgot to ask about potato chips.  I'll talk to the butler about that.  

One other thing.  There have been a few questions here about the pillow menu which no one could address so I asked about that.  The menu is four choices.  They are:

Hypoallergenic

Memory foam

Overfilled foam

Featherdown

I requested the hypoallergenic for the wife.

I'm bringing my own pillow. It's a travel pillow from My Pillow.

Also had a nice conversation about a future cruise we're planning to Alaska.

Great post and I will be on the Breakaway in 30 days, December 4th.  Love your requests.  I hope the person you spoke with was Maria.  She is a true class act.  I am so glad you got the letter and you called.  Thanks for the report.

Cruise well from a fellow Alabama Person and enjoy every moment.

45 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

If I want the butler to put in a few cans of soda in the fridge, each day-- Does the suite get charged for that? 

Yes, based on consumption.

46 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Just trying to understand "the system"---

You are doing the right thing. The more you know, the better your expectations are. 

47 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Is the included Free at Sea restaurants- two meals per person, or two meals per cabin? 

Two Meals per person.

48 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to the plus plan. 

Read the thread on the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  It has all the positive and negative reasons.  Or you can just ask me here any specific question you have.  I authored this and that thread. 

Hope I helped you.

I recently sent an email to the Haven concierge team to ask if it was possible to pre-register for any lattitudes perks happening on the ship for our sailing (wines around the world, behind the scenes tour, etc). 

They didn't email me back, which is odd as they're usually quite good, but I received 2 phone calls from them when I was at work. One voicemail was over 5 mins long, just rambling about various things Haven related as if it was my first trip with them ever. I just found the whole thing to be a bit odd because with both voicemails (2 different people), neither person answered my question about which things would be happening and if there was a way to sign up for them now ahead of time.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:52 PM, RocketMan275 said:

@Sthrngary  

Always remember that Dwight David Eisenhower once said (IIRC) "the plan is nothing, the planning is priceless".

I have my own, very simplified spreadsheet.  It helps me sort through the various options.  Once I've done that, I rarely refer to the spreadsheet again.

Ok, I have just found the theme of my life - I'm a Compulsive Planner (as in, I plan years out, not months, and my family thinks I am nuts - specifically, DH says I "worry too much" and I constantly tell him, "I plan so I don't HAVE to worry.")  Planning is therapeutic for me - I control what I can, and when the crazy stuff happens (as it so often does), at least I've got the easy stuff handled.

And it's FUN!!!  Why not plan and learn and strategize and optimize a cruise?  They go by so fast!

Anyway, thank you for the Eisenhower quote - I shall put it in my Book of Quotes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Ok---Just found out that each can of soda is $3.50!  I think I will manage with the included water the plus plan, or one of the separate water plans.  I will bring a few packets of crystal light with me----

So, I don't know if this will work, but I did it by accident and did not see a charge - my mom always had breakfast in the room, so I ordered multiple sodas and kept the ones we didn't drink in the fridge.  That was before I truly understood the Power of the Butler (that they would have brought them if I asked), but it was always nice to have extras if we didn't want to walk down to the bar - DH likes to drink a Coke on waking up.

• Like 1