The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

35 minutes ago, PatJim said:

PS. The 2-bedroom suites in Haven proper do have small balconies, but ours is slightly larger, as it extends in front of the master bathroom.  Regardless of size, we always request a lounger with our pre-cruise concierge list, and usually it’s there when we board.

I did the same and the loungers were there when we boarded the last time we were on the Joy.  I figured it's easier for the stewards to move things before the passengers board.

Yes, we are on the May 19th sailing also but on the starboard side.  One of us will have a sea view and the other a Bermuda view!  Either is good to me.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatJim said:

PS. The 2-bedroom suites in Haven proper do have small balconies, but ours is slightly larger, as it extends in front of the master bathroom.  Regardless of size, we always request a lounger with our pre-cruise concierge list, and usually it’s there when we board.

The size of the 2 bdrm balconies depends  upon the ship and the deck.  On  the joy, there are 2bdrm suites with large balconies on deck 17 that are two or three times the size of the 2bdrm balconies on deck 18.  Deck 17 on the Joy has the Haven bar and lounge.

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

@graphicguy

And we couldn't get you on the Prima TA.

boo.

So if we can go back to the OPs theme, what are your top take aways/hints/best ways to enjoy Haven and also be a great Haven guest ?

LOL!  You know, if I hadn’t just done a Mediterranean cruise last October, I would have looked at that cruise more seriously.  I’m sure you’ll love it.

Advice….hmmmmm…..I’m pretty low maintenance!

-call the pre-cruise concierge to set up pillows, snacks, reservations for dinner!

-engage your Butler and Concierges (all of them) as early as possible as the Prima has a large Haven!  I introduce yourself.  Get some

personal rapport going.  Don’t try this when they’re supper busy.  But, in the hall, at their desk when no one‘s there…that’s when you want to chat them up a bit.

-same with bartenders and wait staff.  Chat them up when they aren’t busy.

-get familiar with where the Haven elevators are.  They cover several decks.  You’ll use them a lot!

-weather in the Atlantic may be dicey.  Find nooks in the Haven away from the bar area.  That way when the weather isn’t cooperating, you can have a Haven spot to go to before while everyone else is looking for a place to go!

If I think of more, I’ll post here!

• Like 3

Just now, graphicguy said:

@RocketMan275…I bet you have a couple of pointers for the Prima Haven!

You've pretty much covered all my tips.  I would emphasize how contacting the pre-cruise concierge can improve the cruising experience.

If anything, I would have added the room steward to the list of those you need to establish a rapport with.

The one mistake we made on our Prima cruise was booking two extra specialty dining meals.  We found we were just as content dining in the Haven restaurant.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

BTW….there are some killer Haven fares on the May Joy sailings right now!

A few people on the board have mentioned great fares/deals etc. Are you finding these on the NCL site? I booked a Haven from the Marriott points website. Pretty much what I saw on NCL - 1/2 price and free at sea except I get additional points. Do you wait till last minute to sail date and hope for the best? Are you able to get cabin of your choice? 

Much appreciated... Steve

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NclCruiuser said:

A few people on the board have mentioned great fares/deals etc. Are you finding these on the NCL site? I booked a Haven from the Marriott points website. Pretty much what I saw on NCL - 1/2 price and free at sea except I get additional points. Do you wait till last minute to sail date and hope for the best? Are you able to get cabin of your choice? 

Much appreciated... Steve

I shop NCL's WEB site.  Published fares are going to be the same.  Then, I find something that catches my eye and send it off to my Travel Agent.  She applies her (unpublished) discount and perks.  But, some of us shop fares like fiends like our friend @cruiseny4life and @Sthrngary.   I know I shop fares daily on itineraries, ships and cruise lines I'm interested in.  It's kind of like doing the crossword puzzle for me every day with my coffee.

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Dropped $200 per person over the last couple of days! 

Looked this a.m.  Those Haven Cabins are selling quickly.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Going off the rails a little bit since I don't want to start a new live thread this far in advance....

@cruiseny4life....Since I'n now booked, I'm in full planning mode.

First up, getting to Pier 88.  Well before the Covid shutdown since I've sailed out of Manhattan.  I used to just get a taxi or limo.  But, I've had really good luck with NCL's transports recently.  

If you've used them, pretty good?  I'll be coming into LGA....$75 total both ways.  I think I spent way more than that on an Uber, but I can't recall the airport I flew in to.

I know what I preach, but this go round it's not something I can do.  I am sailing out June 16.  But, I have an award dinner I MUST attend (since I'm one of the recipients) on Saturday the 15th.  I'm flying in the day of.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

I should land "knock wood" by 10:00 a.m at LGA....on a Sunday. No checked bags (which is one of my rules for flying in the "day of".  Should it be clear sailing to Pier 88?  How long of a ride is it?

I should be fine as all aboard is about 4:00 p.m. and there's a later flight that gets me in around 1:00 p.m. if the first flight has issues.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Going off the rails a little bit since I don't want to start a new live thread this far in advance....

@cruiseny4life....Since I'n now booked, I'm in full planning mode.

First up, getting to Pier 88.  Well before the Covid shutdown since I've sailed out of Manhattan.  I used to just get a taxi or limo.  But, I've had really good luck with NCL's transports recently.  

If you've used them, pretty good?  I'll be coming into LGA....$75 total both ways.  I think I spent way more than that on an Uber, but I can't recall the airport I flew in to.

I know what I preach, but this go round it's not something I can do.  I am sailing out June 16.  But, I have an award dinner I MUST attend (since I'm one of the recipients) on Saturday the 15th.  I'm flying in the day of.  

Congrats on the award!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Congrats on the award!

High School Sports HOF induction! I think they ran out of people to award it to…they finally got to my name!  😁

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

High School Sports HOF induction! I think they ran out of people to award it to…they finally got to my name!  😁

Sunday to Sunday cruise..... if their is nothing usual going on traffic will be very light. 2/3rds of the people in Manhattan in the summer are tourist, residents will be at the beach or the mountains

• Thanks 1

@graphicguy

@RocketMan275

TYVM

Yes those things make sense in being  great pax ourselves as much as anything.

We sincerely appreciate those that serve in the hospitality industry.

Peeves me when people post things about how to manipulate the workers (take pics of nametags so they will work "harder' for hero cards etc)

Trying to get @Sthrngary s thread back on track 😉

• Haha 2

Just now, Fogfog said:

Peeves me when people post things about how to manipulate the workers (take pics of nametags so they will work "harder' for hero cards etc)

I take pics of nametags.  It has nothing to do with manipulating the workers to work harder.  I usually wait until the last day before debarkation to take those pictures, far to late for manipulation.  Has more to do with my declining memory.

• Like 5

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I take pics of nametags.  It has nothing to do with manipulating the workers to work harder.  I usually wait until the last day before debarkation to take those pictures, far to late for manipulation.  Has more to do with my declining memory.

Somebody posted about doing it to make them work--and incentivize.

So not directed at those of us needing the reminders. No offense meant

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Sunday to Sunday cruise..... if their is nothing usual going on traffic will be very light. 2/3rds of the people in Manhattan in the summer are tourist, residents will be at the beach or the mountains

not sure how this will affect anything, but Congestion pricing will have just started in NYC and people might be crazed trying to find alternative streets and ways to travel. I will be going down the West Side Hiway to the pier but have not figured out yet how to get back on Northbound without getting trapped and having to pay.

Best... Steve

2 minutes ago, NclCruiuser said:

not sure how this will affect anything, but Congestion pricing will have just started in NYC and people might be crazed trying to find alternative streets and ways to travel. I will be going down the West Side Hiway to the pier but have not figured out yet how to get back on Northbound without getting trapped and having to pay.

Best... Steve

$15 isn't going to hurt anyone cruising Haven...heck, it ain't going to hurt anyone cruising. Personally, we travel into Manhattan (including below 60th) and prefer driving the city streets. It's interesting, gets us where we want to be (eventually), and allows us a little more flexibility. We'll just toss the $15 at the MTA and curse them a little bit more. I doubt the streets will be less congested...

It's only going to hurt those that travel into NYC for work on a daily. That's when $15 a day stinks. Oh well...that tangent was fun!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

It’s only eight miles so could be 20 minutes but with New York, you never know.

Haha. 20 minutes would be a record, maybe doable at 2am. It’s really 30 minute minimum. But on a weekend, assume no major accidents blocking traffic, should be no more than about 40-45 minutes.  

In weekday rush hour traffic, it’s over an hour. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NclCruiuser said:

Best... Steve

Just a quick note on NYC’s congestion pricing, which takes affect in June:

Cars are $15 peak times (5 am-9 pm, which affects cruisers)

Taxi is $1.25; Uber, Lyft $2.50

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PatJim said:

Just a quick note on NYC’s congestion pricing, which takes affect in June:

Cars are $15 peak times (5 am-9 pm, which affects cruisers)

Taxi is $1.25; Uber, Lyft $2.50

Out of all the things I thought would be taxed, traffic congestion never crossed my mind.  How will they collect it?  Toll booths in and out of the city?  I’m sure that will alleviate congestion!

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I take pics of the name tags to fill in their names when I fill out "Hero Cards" to award them for great service.

• Like 1