The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

44 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I use un-common luggage tags.  I purchased a BIG RED circular plastic luggage tag many years ago that stated in BIG WHITE LETTERS.... " This Is Not Your Bag".  used it for decades .  

You can get those with several variations on Amazon.  Search on  " This Is Not Your Bag"

All of these suggestions reminds me of a cartoon I saw maybe 30  years ago.  There was a weekly cartoon called "They'll do it verytime."

The one I have in mind was of a frustrated man looking for his car in an airport parking lot.  On the way home he heard a suggestion to tie a red ballon to his antenna.  He did but when he returned from his next rip, everyone heard the same suggestion and he saw sea of red balloons. 

• Haha 1

on the subject of luggage, I have some old soft sided suitcases that are quite heavy. What do you suggest - soft or hard sided, what size for both "baggage" and carry on and brand/model suggestions. Definitely want something with 4 wheels. Glad I found this board, great group and immensely helpful.

Thanks to all.... Steve

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NclCruiuser said:

on the subject of luggage, I have some old soft sided suitcases that are quite heavy. What do you suggest - soft or hard sided, what size for both "baggage" and carry on and brand/model suggestions. Definitely want something with 4 wheels. Glad I found this board, great group and immensely helpful.

Thanks to all.... Steve

I prefer hard sided.  Most bags are soft sided so hard sided bags are easier to spot.  Some recommend the soft sided because they're more expandable.  My belief is if you need an expandable bag, you're taking too much stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks to all.... Steve

Much prefer a soft side duffle style with two wheels, and a bright color. It has plenty of room for clothes and my snorkel gear which eliminates the need for a dive bag. Can’t do that with a hard side bag, and I never go over the airline weight limit. 

Edited by zqvol

47 minutes ago, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks to all.... Steve

Opinions on luggage will almost be as varied as opinions on food. We've always had the soft sided cases. As for taking too much stuff if you use the expanding feature - that's foolish. Bags come in different sizes. I would rather take a medium sized bag that I expand out 1 extra inch wide, than to bring a much taller bag which will be more trouble to manage in general.

When picking a bag - think of how you'll actually use it. If your journey will literally have you rolling it from the taxi to the check-in desk at the airport and that's it, wheels, features, soft/hard doesn't matter all that much. But if you'll be taking the bag from an airport to a crowded train station, through the narrow cobblestone streets of Europe, or up/down stairs - you need a bag that will be easy for you to maneuver. A bag with 4 wheels is more 'pushed' either in front of you or next to you, where a bag with just 2 wheels is more 'pulled'. I always thought the 4 wheels was better, until I looked at how I dragged my bag most of the time - behind me being pulled. 

So for our next cases we're focusing more on those little features and touches that would make travel more easy for us. Things like a built in organizers, garment holders to prevent wrinkles on stuff you won't want to roll in a packing cube, the handle outside of the case completely so the inside can be flat instead of packing between the lumps of the hand railings... stuff like that.

On 4/10/2024 at 3:23 PM, Sthrngary said:

Well, it seems many think getting to know the staff on a cruise is unusual.  Using the comparison of staying in a hotel and not carry about the staff the same way as some do on a cruise.  Those folk gave their personal opinions and we should all allow opinions whether we like them or not to express how someone really feels. That is why it is called social media. 

If you disagree, you are also allowed to say something.  "Nice setup, right."  I personally disagree.  Part of a GREAT cruise experience to me is meeting and getting to know the staff/crew. Taking an interest in their lives and experiences.  Not every waking moment of every day, just in passing.  I do the same thing with almost everyone I meet.  It is what makes cruising different then the 1,000's of days I have spent in hotels in my business travel career.  

Now if it is not your thing to do that, I respect your decision.  It is MY thing, I will continue to do it. I will also continue to over tip those that provided superior service.  WHY, I like when people see me and smile first because I showed a level of interest in them and second because I valued their extra efforts.  

Now since this is a Haven Thread, I have rarely had any crew member in the Haven be anything less then outstanding with the exception of a butler or two.  I fixed that with my approach which works for me but NOT everyone that tries it.  

If I have something to complain about it is very rude guests that think they own the place.  On a cruise a few years ago, I had a guest that was a constant complainer.  He said he was HUGE on CruiseCritic.com.  After a while I had enough, I asked him what his name was on CruiseCritic.com.  He said, "SthrnGary".  That is ME? To my shock, he was impersonating, "ME".  I played along just enough to let this person put his foot in his month.  Then I say, "OK, I have had enough.  You have been rude to almost everyone you have come in contact with.  You say you are "SthrnGary", that is really funny." He asked why, "I say, because I am SthrnGary".  He said, you are NOT.  I turned my phone around and showed him my account on CruiseCritic.com.  His face got red and I never saw him again on that cruise.  

Look folks, Just make your next cruise all it can be.  Find people you enjoy and enjoy the people you find.  It is one hell of a hobby and makes you feel like a Rock Star for a week or so a year.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Your next cruise, you should tell people "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I AM SO IMPORTANT I HAVE PEOPLE PRETENDING TO BE ME ON CRUISE CRITIC" 😄

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Your next cruise, you should tell people "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I AM SO IMPORTANT I HAVE PEOPLE PRETENDING TO BE ME ON CRUISE CRITIC" 😄

@psuboater You hit on an important point.  When I go on cruises, I rarely if ever tell folks my name online.  WHY? I am really not important.  I just like to cruise and know what I will get for my investment.  So anyone reading this, if someone says they are "SthrnGary", it was NOT ME.

Side note, I was just on an Oceania Mediterranean Cruise in November of 2023.  I was quietly sitting at the pool bar with my two guest that joined my wife and me.  A person went up to him, because he looks like my emoji and said, "Are You SthrnGary." I heard that and said, to my friend, "Well, are you SthrnGary?".  I finally introduced myself.  The truth is, I am usually recognized while sitting a a bar which actually did happen with a great new friend named Bubba from MS.  

Anyway, All that matters is we all have a great time.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@psuboater You hit on an important point.  When I go on cruises, I rarely if ever tell folks my name online.  WHY? I am really not important.  I just like to cruise and know what I will get for my investment.  So anyone reading this, if someone says they are "SthrnGary", it was NOT ME.

Side note, I was just on an Oceania Mediterranean Cruise in November of 2023.  I was quietly sitting at the pool bar with my two guest that joined my wife and me.  A person went up to him, because he looks like my emoji and said, "Are You SthrnGary." I heard that and said, to my friend, "Well, are you SthrnGary?".  I finally introduced myself.  The truth is, I am usually recognized while sitting a a bar which actually did happen with a great new friend named Bubba from MS.  

Anyway, All that matters is we all have a great time.  

Question:  Is SthrnGary short for SouthernGary?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  Is SthrnGary short for SouthernGary?

@RocketMan275 The name SthrnGary is because decades ago, when all we all had was dial up for AOL, my wife's screen name was SthrnTami.  So I took on SthrnGary.  That is funny because I grew up in Long Island New York.  Thanks for asking.

• Like 5

I share my online moniker and my real name at the M&Gs.  A lot of folks I've sailed with post often here.  So, they know me (does anybody really know anyone else?  Sorry, feeling existential today) when we finally meet....and vice versa.

I will say, every person I've met on board that I've chatted with here have all been wonderful people.

• Like 4

As far as luggage, one of the nice things about sailing in the Haven is they usually let me drop my luggage off in the cabin, even though the cabin may not be ready, yet.  That beats hauling it around the ship.

Hard side, soft side luggage.  I use both.  The key is to pack only carry ons.  I use a back pack and roll aboard.  It took me a while to get my GF to do that, too.  But, once she did, she understands and appreciates not having to haul around a big piece of luggage before and after boarding the ships and planes.  

I do like some of the "internet brands" like AWAY.  But, from my business travel days, it's hard to beat TravelPro.

Just get something with strong zippers and strong wheels.  Those are the break points.

• Like 1

speaking of luggage, not all luggage handles are created equally.  I always test the length and sturdiness of the pull out handle.  Im not super tall, bit 6.1.  Some handles don't pull out far enough ( I have to hunch down to pull it or roll it).  Some handles are really wobbly when fully extended

( it's wobbly when empty, imagine how bad it will be when full).  Some handle grips just do feel comfortable in my hand.  I also check on how the wheels roll.  Sometimes you try it out, and it's like trying to drive a care with bad alignment...it pulls to the side.  It will be worse when full.  Some wheels are not quite ( they sound like shopping carts).  I personally like a Mid-sized hard case ( about 24" tall) with an expandable  feature.  We ( two people) can go on a 21 day cruise with just that 1 case ( for the two of us) and a carry one backpack ( each).

20 hours ago, MarkieMarkNYC said:

Maybe the OP can change the title of the thread to Luggage Preferences.

👍 A quick response or two was fine, but the thread drift is getting out of control.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

👍 A quick response or two was fine, but the thread drift is getting out of control.

Oh as if it hasn't happened before. Don't like. Don't read it. Easy peasy. 

And hey! Haven luggage must be pristine...cuz, ya know. Haven! 

Well, except my bag which is an almost ten year old Coleman duffel bag with half the zipper pulls missing (still haven't taken that paper clip hint from others). Gosh, why does NCL let me in the Haven so often anyways? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh as if it hasn't happened before. Don't like. Don't read it. Easy peasy. 

And hey! Haven luggage must be pristine...cuz, ya know. Haven! 

Well, except my bag which is an almost ten year old Coleman duffel bag with half the zipper pulls missing (still haven't taken that paper clip hint from others). Gosh, why does NCL let me in the Haven so often anyways? 

Since you implied you need multiple pulls, let me suggest you go to Etsy where the cost of mutiples will be significantly less than if you buy singles in brick and mortar fabric stores. You can even get then personalized for that true designer look. Heck, you could personalize them to say "Haven" on them.

5 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Since you implied you need multiple pulls, let me suggest you go to Etsy where the cost of mutiples will be significantly less than if you buy singles in brick and mortar fabric stores. You can even get then personalized for that true designer look. Heck, you could personalize them to say "Haven" on them.

OH MY GOSH!!!! @Sugar Magnolia, should I get "Haven Maven" zipper pulls?

Thank you @GALSews! Totally going to look for this purely for the entertainment value! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread has verged off the topic multiple times.  It eventually comes back.  No issue on my part. On the topic of luggage tags.  I use a plastic piece with metal loop (purchased on Amazon) utilizing the NCL printable luggage tags.  I do this because one cruise, I put the NCL provided tags on my luggage and it got ripped off by Delta Airlines.  I put me the Haven NCL provided tags on just before I drop the luggage at the gate.  My wife also puts a colored cloth on the handles of each of the luggage pieces so that are more easily identified. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

As far as luggage, one of the nice things about sailing in the Haven is they usually let me drop my luggage off in the cabin, even though the cabin may not be ready, yet.  That beats hauling it around the ship.

In September on Getaway, we had to sit with our carry-ons in the Haven Lounge until all of the Haven cabins were ready.  I did note you said 'usually' - I guess it all depends on the ship and the concierge.  The checked luggage did arrive fairly soon thereafter, interfering with my enjoyment of my beverage on the balcony!  Ugh!

I guess the Haven checked luggage gets priority as well as the passengers.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:31 PM, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks to all.... Steve

We Coolife.... its been banged around for 7? years now and its still holding up will

https://amzn.to/4cV6n1r

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In September on Getaway, we had to sit with our carry-ons in the Haven Lounge until all of the Haven cabins were ready.  I did note you said 'usually' - I guess it all depends on the ship and the concierge.  The checked luggage did arrive fairly soon thereafter, interfering with my enjoyment of my beverage on the balcony!  Ugh!

I guess the Haven checked luggage gets priority as well as the passengers.

I've had the same happen.  Had my luggage with me hoping to put it in my cabin, only to have the Concierge said we wouldn't be able to until ALL the cabins were ready.  Recently, they've let me drop my luggage off in the cabin, even though the cabin was still being made up.

Could be a "concierge thing".

Not sure about Haven luggage getting priority as I do carry on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

We Coolife.... its been banged around for 7? years now and its still holding up will

https://amzn.to/4cV6n1r

Can't complain about the durability.  7 years of cruising is like "dog years" of regular use...;)

Being thrown around by porters, by cruise crew and by us.  That's a tough bunch of luggage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Can't complain about the durability.  7 years of cruising is like "dog years" of regular use...;)

Being thrown around by porters, by cruise crew and by us.  That's a tough bunch of luggage.

Add in two trips to Europe, three to Vegas, one to Tampa and Miami. Yup for the price its done really well

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 2:40 PM, psuboater said:

That's why I carry the American Express card.

• Haha 7