The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

Something I have never understood after decades of cruising.  People have long stays in hotels but do not get involved in housekeeping's life - learning of their family, financial status, taking pictures with them, asking how they are paid, etc.   Same with land based wait and bar staff.

Yet, put someone on a cruise ship and suddenly they have to adopt the room attendant, etc. as if they were children and pets - "looking" out for how they are paid, their  family life, etc.  

Guess what it is none of our business and most of the sob stories heard are just that- stories intended to induce guilt and an open wallet

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, drew69 said:

Something I have never understood after decades of cruising.  People have long stays in hotels but do not get involved in housekeeping's life - learning of their family, financial status, taking pictures with them, asking how they are paid, etc.   Same with land based wait and bar staff.

Yet, put someone on a cruise ship and suddenly they have to adopt the room attendant, etc. as if they were children and pets - "looking" out for how they are paid, their  family life, etc.  

Guess what it is none of our business and most of the sob stories heard are just that- stories intended to induce guilt and an open wallet

I too am surprised when I see post from people wanting to know who the Captain is on a certain ship, who the officers are? I check in to a hotel and wonder who the manager is. I guess I don't get it

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PatJim said:

And lattes!💕 Alas, we’ve only found this fantastic coffee machine in the Haven Observation Lounge on the Bliss and Joy.  Was so disappointed not to find it on the Epic,  Breakaway and Getaway.  We’ll be in the Prima Haven in November for the 1st time.  Does anyone know if they also have it?

For ships that don’t, I make an approximate latte in the cabin, with hot milk delivered by the butler every morning (along with almond croissants).  It’s the one thing that gets me up!

No luck for the coffee machine on Pr1ma. No snack station either, like the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus ships have. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

No luck for the coffee machine on Pr1ma. No snack station either, like the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus ships have. 

There isn't a Haven observation/horizon lounge on Prima class ships.

We just disembarked the Epic this past Sunday, having stayed in a 2BR Haven suite. Our only past Haven experience was on the Getaway in late 2022, so y'all were right that the Epic has a superior Haven!

If I had to complain about something about the Epic space, it is that, because it is so spread out and because of the placement of the elevators, there are too many locked doors to go through to get around the Haven, especially if you're carrying drinks. The one upside to the Getaway's size is that our suite was only about 15 steps from the bar through one unlocked door (not counting our room door).

One weird thing was that we did not get Haven robes. I don't know if this is a thing on the Epic or fleet-wide or what. I asked for one in my pre-cruise concierge e-mail because my husband loves it, and to be fair to NCL, it didn't occur to me to ask our butler. My husband probably didn't care enough to ask, either, so it's possible that we were supposed to get one, and it was an oversight. In other words, I don't mean to sound any alarms, but just something to keep an eye on because, as of a couple of months ago, Haven robes and certain other items disappeared from the NCL Home site. About a month ago, the whole site got taken down. I'm not sure if there's any connection there. There were Haven slippers, though 🙂

We did not get hash browns this time, just “breakfast potatoes” (cubed potatoes) 😞 I didn't realize what we had until it was no more!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, it seems many think getting to know the staff on a cruise is unusual.  Using the comparison of staying in a hotel and not carry about the staff the same way as some do on a cruise.  Those folk gave their personal opinions and we should all allow opinions whether we like them or not to express how someone really feels. That is why it is called social media. 

If you disagree, you are also allowed to say something.  "Nice setup, right."  I personally disagree.  Part of a GREAT cruise experience to me is meeting and getting to know the staff/crew. Taking an interest in their lives and experiences.  Not every waking moment of every day, just in passing.  I do the same thing with almost everyone I meet.  It is what makes cruising different then the 1,000's of days I have spent in hotels in my business travel career.  

Now if it is not your thing to do that, I respect your decision.  It is MY thing, I will continue to do it. I will also continue to over tip those that provided superior service.  WHY, I like when people see me and smile first because I showed a level of interest in them and second because I valued their extra efforts.  

Now since this is a Haven Thread, I have rarely had any crew member in the Haven be anything less then outstanding with the exception of a butler or two.  I fixed that with my approach which works for me but NOT everyone that tries it.  

If I have something to complain about it is very rude guests that think they own the place.  On a cruise a few years ago, I had a guest that was a constant complainer.  He said he was HUGE on CruiseCritic.com.  After a while I had enough, I asked him what his name was on CruiseCritic.com.  He said, "SthrnGary".  That is ME? To my shock, he was impersonating, "ME".  I played along just enough to let this person put his foot in his month.  Then I say, "OK, I have had enough.  You have been rude to almost everyone you have come in contact with.  You say you are "SthrnGary", that is really funny." He asked why, "I say, because I am SthrnGary".  He said, you are NOT.  I turned my phone around and showed him my account on CruiseCritic.com.  His face got red and I never saw him again on that cruise.  

Look folks, Just make your next cruise all it can be.  Find people you enjoy and enjoy the people you find.  It is one hell of a hobby and makes you feel like a Rock Star for a week or so a year.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

@Sthrngary

THAT story about the boorish and rude imposter is shocking and crazy.

I imagine it took a good bit of self control to give him enough room to hang himself.

If he was that impertinent in person, imagine what he is like behind a screen and on a keyboard.

Thanks to you for your posts and what you contribute to this CC community.

It is appreciated. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

@Sthrngary

THAT story about the boorish and rude imposter is shocking and crazy.

I imagine it took a good bit of self control to give him enough room to hang himself.

If he was that impertinent in person, imagine what he is like behind a screen and on a keyboard.

Thanks to you for your posts and what you contribute to this CC community.

It is appreciated. 

@Fogfog Part of the reason at this time in my life, I tend to to Haven, Retreat, Yacht Club or Luxury/Premium Plus Brands it to avoid folks like this.  So it shocked me as well.  It took no self control at all.  I wanted to see how far this person would go.  When it went to far, I did the phone thing.  For the life of me, I don't understand why manners are lost on cruises.  Chair hogs at the pool, people touching food on buffets, Row holders in the theatre.  The list goes on and on.

When these things started to make me upset and uncomfortable, I looked for a solution.  The Haven for 99.99% of the time make my experience better because most of those issues were greatly reduced or eliminated.  This guy was a very rare situation and one hard to forget.  I laugh about it now. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I just like cruising, hate other social media and want to focus on as many happy memories as possible.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2024 at 6:23 PM, Sthrngary said:

Well, it seems many think getting to know the staff on a cruise is unusual.  Using the comparison of staying in a hotel and not carry about the staff the same way as some do on a cruise.  Those folk gave their personal opinions and we should all allow opinions whether we like them or not to express how someone really feels. That is why it is called social media. 

If you disagree, you are also allowed to say something.  "Nice setup, right."  I personally disagree.  Part of a GREAT cruise experience to me is meeting and getting to know the staff/crew. Taking an interest in their lives and experiences.  Not every waking moment of every day, just in passing.  I do the same thing with almost everyone I meet.  It is what makes cruising different then the 1,000's of days I have spent in hotels in my business travel career.  

Now if it is not your thing to do that, I respect your decision.  It is MY thing, I will continue to do it. I will also continue to over tip those that provided superior service.  WHY, I like when people see me and smile first because I showed a level of interest in them and second because I valued their extra efforts.  

Now since this is a Haven Thread, I have rarely had any crew member in the Haven be anything less then outstanding with the exception of a butler or two.  I fixed that with my approach which works for me but NOT everyone that tries it.  

If I have something to complain about it is very rude guests that think they own the place.  On a cruise a few years ago, I had a guest that was a constant complainer.  He said he was HUGE on CruiseCritic.com.  After a while I had enough, I asked him what his name was on CruiseCritic.com.  He said, "SthrnGary".  That is ME? To my shock, he was impersonating, "ME".  I played along just enough to let this person put his foot in his month.  Then I say, "OK, I have had enough.  You have been rude to almost everyone you have come in contact with.  You say you are "SthrnGary", that is really funny." He asked why, "I say, because I am SthrnGary".  He said, you are NOT.  I turned my phone around and showed him my account on CruiseCritic.com.  His face got red and I never saw him again on that cruise.  

Look folks, Just make your next cruise all it can be.  Find people you enjoy and enjoy the people you find.  It is one hell of a hobby and makes you feel like a Rock Star for a week or so a year.

Oh, that's funny.  Similar thing happened to me on my last cruise in the Haven on the Prima.

A couple of days into the cruise, I was sitting at the bar at the local grabbing a burger.  Guy sitting next to me started small talk.  We started talking about the number of cruises we took, the ships we had sailed, etc.  I asked him if he was active cruise critic as it seemed he had cruised a lot on NCL.  He said he said he posted on cruise critic as "graphicguy" and that he was "well known".

I was kind of stunned.  At first, I thought..."is it possible there is more than one 'graphicguy' who posts on Cruise Critic?  But, they don't allow duplicate user names.  I played along.

I told him I had heard of him and had seen his posts.  I continued on that he seemed like a nice guy and I enjoyed seeing him on cruise critic.  I started drilling down a little further asking the ships he'd sailed, questions about his "wife" and the cabin he was sailing.

He fumbled along saying there were "so many that he couldn't remember all of them".   I asked if he was sailing with anyone else.  He said his "wife" was on the ship with him and she was "hanging around" somewhere else (I'm not married and was sailing solo).  I asked about his cabin...again, he fumbled around saying his wife had booked it and he thought they were in one with a "porthole" (I was in the Haven and was posting about it live).

I was going to call him out on it.  But, just got a chuckle to see if I'd run into him again with his wife.  Never saw him again.

Funny thing is, he never once asked about who I was, who I posted as on Cruise Critic, who I was on the cruise with, or the cabin I was sailing in.  Probably best he didn't know.

Mystery man imposter, if you're out there reading this, just know the real "graphicguy" is much more charismatic and funnier than you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Oh, that's funny.  Similar thing happened to me on my last cruise in the Haven on the Prima.

A couple of days into the cruise, I was sitting at the bar at the local grabbing a burger.  Guy sitting next to me started small talk.  We started talking about the number of cruises we took, the ships we had sailed, etc.  I asked him if he was active cruise critic as it seemed he had cruised a lot on NCL.  He said he said he posted on cruise critic as "graphicguy" and that he was "well known".

I was kind of stunned.  At first, I thought..."is it possible there is more than one 'graphicguy' who posts on Cruise Critic?  But, they don't allow duplicate user names.  I played along.

I told him I had heard of him and had seen his posts.  I continued on that he seemed like a nice guy and I enjoyed seeing him on cruise critic.  I started drilling down a little further asking the ships he'd sailed, questions about his "wife" and the cabin he was sailing.

He fumbled along saying there were "so many that he couldn't remember all of them".   I asked if he was sailing with anyone else.  He said his "wife" was on the ship with him and she was "hanging around" somewhere else (I'm not married and was sailing solo).  I asked about his cabin...again, he fumbled around saying his wife had booked it and he thought they were in one with a "porthole" (I was in the Haven and was posting about it live).

I was going to call him out on it.  But, just got a chuckle to see if I'd run into him again with his wife.  Never saw him again.

Funny thing is, he never once asked about who I was, who I posted as on Cruise Critic, who I was on the cruise with, or the cabin I was sailing in.  Probably best he didn't know.

Mystery man imposter, if you're out there reading this, just know the real "graphicguy" is much more charismatic and funnier than you are.

🤣 🙃 😁 That is hysterical!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

🤣 🙃 😁 That is hysterical!

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

@Sthrngary and @graphicguy - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.  😉 

There are days I DON'T WANT TO BE ME.  I can't imagine anyone else would want to. 😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Maybe it was the same guy and once he was outed as the fake @Sthrngary, he then changed himself to the fake @graphicguy!!!  😁😁

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, NclCruiuser said:

saw a video suggesting somehow marking your luggage for easier identification at disembarkation port (NY). Suggestions?

Thanks.... Steve

Easy to do. The easiest is too get some brightly colored yard and tie some to the handle.  You can paint something on the side or use colored duct tape.  One of the best things is to avoid black cloth bags.  Get something colored.  Hard sided also works since most folks use the cheap black cloth bags from walmart.  Basically, just use  your imagination.

If you want, you can spend some money and go hitech, apple air tags or the samsung equivalent.  If you get the airtags, your phone will point at the bags once you get close.  The airtags also allow  you to tract your bags.

One final t hing, take a picture of your luggage which will  help lost and found ID your bags.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NclCruiuser said:

saw a video suggesting somehow marking your luggage for easier identification at disembarkation port (NY). Suggestions?

Thanks.... Steve

I use two different colored pieces of duct tape.  (I use my high school colors - blue and yellow)  I'd stay away from using common colors such as silver, and fluorescent orange or green.  I then cut two strips about one foot long for the base color and one one foot color for the top color.  I then cut the top color strip in half lengthwise and run each of those strips down the middle of the base color.  I put one across the top and back of the suitcase and then I place the other strip across the front and a side so that I can see the personalized duct tape on the suitcase from any angle.  (Whew! 😄) Here's what one of mine looks like:  I can always spot my bag from a distance whether on an airport turnstile or a cruise terminal warehouse.SuitcaseTape.thumb.JPG.db37b8e2dc20fbccd2b3ff85ff90ee82.JPG

• Like 5

On 4/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks.... Steve

Your Haven luggage would have Haven tags on it as well, yes?

Both embarkation and debarkation.

Have you received your Haven tags?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Your Haven luggage would have Haven tags on it as well, yes?

Both embarkation and debarkation.

Have you received your Haven tags?

True, but in Miami there were a lot of bags with Haven tags sitting there...a brightly colored something would still be very useful.

11 hours ago, ejincali said:

True, but in Miami there were a lot of bags with Haven tags sitting there...a brightly colored something would still be very useful.

True. And really obvious and many ways to address it. 

And the OPs title and subject was about Haven - so just trying to get his thread back on track

🙂

Happy sailing

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rbxlady said:

We ended up doing self-disembarkation when we disembarked on the 7th, but in case we didn't go that route, I bought holographic curling ribbon, so our luggage looked like birthday presents: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holographic-Silver-Curling-Ribbon-100-Yards-by-Gwen-Studios/314621998

Pretty hard to miss that ribbon.  Nice find!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:39 PM, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks.... Steve

I use un-common luggage tags.  I purchased a BIG RED circular plastic luggage tag many years ago that stated in BIG WHITE LETTERS.... " This Is Not Your Bag".  used it for decades .  

• Haha 1