The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

On 4/6/2024 at 7:38 AM, graphicguy said:

I take pics of the name tags to fill in their names when I fill out "Hero Cards" to award them for great service.

I take pictures of my left index finger. Doesn't help with memory or Hero cards, but I'm getting pretty good at it.

• Haha 4

As long as we're also discussing luggage here, in addition to my luggage tags, I print a couple of sheets of paper with my name, home address, destination information, cell numbers, and emergency contact phone number.  I place that sheet on top of everything inside the suitcases so that if the id luggage tags get ripped off the luggage, they can find more information once authorities open the luggage.

Before I retired, I used to just place my business card in the luggage but now my old office would say "Dan who??"

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Great detailed post.

We are on The Breakaway on March 19-26, 2024.  We are staying in The Haven.

We would like to board as early as possible.   Is there any trick to doing that or do we just call as soon as possible when the 21 day checkin window starts in ten days?

Thanks!

On 4/16/2024 at 2:34 PM, zqvol said:

Much prefer a soft side duffle style with two wheels, and a bright color. It has plenty of room for clothes and my snorkel gear which eliminates the need for a dive bag. Can’t do that with a hard side bag, and I never go over the airline weight limit. 

I agree with someone else's comment that everyone's opinion will be different, but if you're interested, I bought three of these, each in a different color (blue, sea green, and mustard), and gave them to my husband and two sons at Christmas, since we do travel frequently on weekends and obviously because we had a spring break cruise planned.  (I paid $50.99 apiece +tax.)

It's honestly too big for a weekend bag unless you are doing a bunch of stuff, but for a 7-day cruise, it worked well for all three of them with no additional baggage, helped by the fact that I'm mom who carries all the things (read: all the first aid/meds and accessories like pop-up hampers and clotheslines with hooks) so had a large suitcase plus a backpack.

They liked the amount of pockets/compartments, but they did not like that it would not stand up on its own. However, since you are in the market for a two-wheeled bag, I figured I'd mention it.

We ended up doing self-disembarkation, and we don't fly to the port, so they didn't go through any type of baggage claim, but the colors would be enough to stand out without being ridiculously colorful. I also added holographic curling ribbon to make them stand out in case we didn't do self-disembarkation.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Daniel A said:

In September on Getaway, we had to sit with our carry-ons in the Haven Lounge until all of the Haven cabins were ready.  I did note you said 'usually' - I guess it all depends on the ship and the concierge.  The checked luggage did arrive fairly soon thereafter, interfering with my enjoyment of my beverage on the balcony!  Ugh!

I guess the Haven checked luggage gets priority as well as the passengers.

For our Haven cruise on the Getaway in October of 2022, they let us put bags in our suites. The steward was in there and started to (gently) protest our presence until I clarified we were just dropping bags, which she said was fine.

On the Epic a couple of weeks ago, we had to keep our bags with us in the Haven lounge and then through lunch at the Haven restaurant. It was a bit of a pain but not a huge deal. Next time I'll be better prepared for that possibility because the carry-on I chose was not ideal overall.

• Like 1

We have always gone to the port at 9:30 am. If you are in the Haven you do not need a boarding time any longer. You will be kept in the Haven lounge with snacks and drinks until boarding. You will be the first on the ship,usually by 11:00. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barney Gallagher said:

Great detailed post.

We would like to board as early as possible.   Is there any trick to doing that or do we just call as soon as possible when the 21 day checkin window starts in ten days?

Thanks!

@Barney Gallagher I think you mean April or May.  That said, I will tell you what I do and you can consider others approaches as well.  Assuming you will be leaving from Miami or New Orleans.  Miami is my favorite because it is NCL new terminal.  I get to the port about 10:00 AM.  I usually have to wait for the security to open for my cruise.  I wait at the beginning of the line which is why I get there early.  Every guest has to go through the same security.  

Once through the security, go to the end passed the normal counters looking for the Haven Sign.  Don't be surprised if the folks at the Port are clueless.  Just look for the sign.  As you know or don't know, Haven guest can board anytime. They are also the first to board the ship.  So you check in at the Haven counter, go to the Haven Port Lounge, take a seat near the door exit to the ship.  When you see them open it, get up and walk towards that door.  You are first on board, first to check in at Muster, first to talk to the Haven Concierge about any changes you need.  That is my approach.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Barney Gallagher said:

Great detailed post.

Thanks!

Just show up to the port whenever, of course after people in general are allowed to show up. I haven't seen anyone report being denied entrance to the terminal because they showed up before the time they picked (or were assigned) at online check-in (21 days out). Haven guests get a separate area to sit (how nice this is depends on both the port and the particular terminal) and are the first to board.

We sailed on the Epic on 3/31 and were walking on the ship around 10:50AM, so if I were doing that sailing again, I would aim to arrive around 10:15AM to get through the thing where they have to take your picture and check your documents, then get a cup of coffee and a snack in the Haven lounge but also not sit around for too long.

Edited by rbxlady
clarity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Barney Gallagher I think you mean April or May.  That said, I will tell you what I do and you can consider others approaches as well.  Assuming you will be leaving from Miami or New Orleans.  Miami is my favorite because it is NCL new terminal.  I get to the port about 10:00 AM.  I usually have to wait for the security to open for my cruise.  I wait at the beginning of the line which is why I get there early.  Every guest has to go through the same security.  

Once through the security, go to the end passed the normal counters looking for the Haven Sign.  Don't be surprised if the folks at the Port are clueless.  Just look for the sign.  As you know or don't know, Haven guest can board anytime. They are also the first to board the ship.  So you check in at the Haven counter, go to the Haven Port Lounge, take a seat near the door exit to the ship.  When you see them open it, get up and walk towards that door.  You are first on board, first to check in at Muster, first to talk to the Haven Concierge about any changes you need.  That is my approach.

You are correct, I meant May.  Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I like your style!  Viola!  You are on a cruise ship instead of sitting in a hotel room. 

4 hours ago, Barney Gallagher said:

Great detailed post.

Thanks!

Sounds like your leaving from NOLA.

We've taken two cruises on NCL from NOLA.

Our first cruise we arrived at the port approximately 0930.  We spent the next hour in the line for security clearance.  We boarded about 1115.

Our second cruise, we arrived at the port approximately 1100.  The security line was non-existant, we boarded about 1115.

NOLA has a very small waiting area for those who've checkin in.  Once the area is full, NOLA stops the security line. It doesn't matter whether your in Haven or not, there is only one security line. You cannot check in or visit the haven waiting area until after security.

we found there was little of no advantage to an early arrival.  We now wait in our comforable hotel room until we can time our arrival at the port after the line has cleared, around 1100.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbxlady said:

We sailed on the Epic on 3/31 and were walking on the ship around 10:50AM, so if I were doing that sailing again, I would aim to arrive around 10:15AM to get through the thing where they have to take your picture and check your documents, then get a cup of coffee and a snack in the Haven lounge but also not sit around for too long.

@Barney Gallagher -- @rbxlady has a good idea if you are looking to arrive at the port and be on board swiftly.  That will minimize the time you would spend in the Haven VIP waiting area in the terminal.  Often, when you arrive in the Haven lounge in the terminal, the concierge and/or assistant concierge will greet you and make any dinner or show reservations you would like to have.  My preference would be to plan on an extra half hour so I have time to take advantage of this perk prior to boarding the ship.  There will almost certainly be a line of other passengers standing in front of the concierge desk upon arrival in the Haven proper.

It all depends on your personal preferences.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

Not really Haven-related, although we will be staying in the Haven on the Joy late December and I didn't want to start another thread. 

NCL really surprised me quite positively. On Friday at 4:17 PM, I sent in the Shareholder Request Form. The automated response came back with the same time stamp - not surprised at that. However, today is Sunday, which means WEEKEND. Well, at 4:50 PM, we received our shareholder benefit. That is just a little over 48 hours and on a weekend. Wow!

Oh, SthrnGary, we'll see how we like the Joy in late November as you have been partial to it. They've added a thermal spa to her, but apparently there is no thallaso (sp?) pool. So, glad we've elected to stay in the Haven. We'll forego the Thermal Spa.

Well. now I've had my little break on cruise critic. Now it is back to cleaning and cooking in preparation for tomorrow's big event. (I'm getting older, in future years I may have to check out a cruise where things can be set up to be Passover-friendly so I don't have to clean and switch stuff out. I'd just have to know if the matzah balls are floaters, not the sinkers.) Years ago, I dumbly scheduled a cruise on Passover. They gave me my own box of matzah which I took to meals with me. Each night I'd go past the crepe maker in the buffet and mope. 

Only 3 weeks and we'll be on the Jewel.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:30 AM, Barney Gallagher said:

Thanks!

You don't call anyone, at 21 days you have to log into your account and complete the check-in process. You can pick an early time if you want, but you'll be sitting and waiting there until around 11am, so there's really no reason to rush to get through security just to sit and eat a cookie.

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, Treasure Hunter said:

We have always gone to the port at 9:30 am. If you are in the Haven you do not need a boarding time any longer. You will be kept in the Haven lounge with snacks and drinks until boarding. You will be the first on the ship,usually by 11:00. 

On 4/18/2024 at 11:59 AM, rbxlady said:

Just show up to the port whenever, of course after people in general are allowed to show up. I haven't seen anyone report being denied entrance to the terminal because they showed up before the time they picked (or were assigned) at online check-in (21 days out). Haven guests get a separate area to sit (how nice this is depends on both the port and the particular terminal) and are the first to board.

I really get frustrated when I see folks constantly saying "just show up whenever" and that your assigned check in time doesn't matter if you're in the Haven. We were denied entrance into the terminal building on 2 different occasions at 2 different ports of call. So yes, it does matter. I will never understand why folks are in such a rush to get there at 9:30 and sit and wait for 2 hours. The cookies and lemon water are really not that great people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GALSews said:

NCL really surprised me quite positively. On Friday at 4:17 PM, I sent in the Shareholder Request Form. The automated response came back with the same time stamp - not surprised at that. However, today is Sunday, which means WEEKEND. Well, at 4:50 PM, we received our shareholder benefit. That is just a little over 48 hours and on a weekend. Wow!

Twinsies! I submitted two requests on Friday evening and also received the benefit today. Is this a whole new NCL?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Twinsies! I submitted two requests on Friday evening and also received the benefit today. Is this a whole new NCL?

Lately, they are lightning quick, it seemed.  Ours done a while back, and as a matter of fact, looked up the time/date stamp ... it came thru on a Saturday, wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround and not for non-business, normal working hours.  Perhaps, shareholders support staff have an option for doing remote tele-work.  

BTW, nice - that's not for this coming weekend, I'm reasonably sure, haha.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GALSews said:

Oh, SthrnGary, we'll see how we like the Joy in late November as you have been partial to it.

Enjoy, you deserve a nice vacation.  The Joy is a nice ship. I look forward to reading your review. 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, Daniel A said:

In September on Getaway, we had to sit with our carry-ons in the Haven Lounge until all of the Haven cabins were ready.  I did note you said 'usually' - I guess it all depends on the ship and the concierge.  The checked luggage did arrive fairly soon thereafter, interfering with my enjoyment of my beverage on the balcony!  Ugh!

I guess the Haven checked luggage gets priority as well as the passengers.

CORRECTION:  I'm not sure that it matters much, but the September sailing was on Breakaway, not Getaway.  Sorry if I caused any confusion with bad information.  🥺 

15 hours ago, GALSews said:

Not really Haven-related, although we will be staying in the Haven on the Joy late December and I didn't want to start another thread. 

Oh, SthrnGary, we'll see how we like the Joy in late November as you have been partial to it. They've added a thermal spa to her, but apparently there is no thallaso (sp?) pool. So, glad we've elected to stay in the Haven. We'll forego the Thermal Spa.

Well. now I've had my little break on cruise critic. Now it is back to cleaning and cooking in preparation for tomorrow's big event. (I'm getting older, in future years I may have to check out a cruise where things can be set up to be Passover-friendly so I don't have to clean and switch stuff out. I'd just have to know if the matzah balls are floaters, not the sinkers.) Years ago, I dumbly scheduled a cruise on Passover. They gave me my own box of matzah which I took to meals with me. Each night I'd go past the crepe maker in the buffet and mope. 

Only 3 weeks and we'll be on the Jewel.

First off....Haig Sameach ( I'm almost positive I spelled it wrong).  I seriously doubt you will ever find a Passover Cruise.  It's even hard to Shabbat services on ship.  We do our own services table side.  The candles are there, the bread is there, the wine is there.  I say Three prayers ( lighting of the candles, the blessing of the bread and the wine).  I always tell teak the server I will be dong a few prayers first, so please dont interrupt.  Sometimes the servers will just stay close by and watch what Im doing, and ask about the prayers.  I have found services on 2 cruise lines once, but usually not.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information on the Haven.  We just upgraded to the Haven. Our first NCL cruise. We are sailing on the Bliss. We have sailed with RCL in suites for 30 years and we were happy with that until post covid..... A large group from our area is going so we thought we would give it a try. One question I have is that I have read there is a day butler and a night butler. Should I plan on tipping both or is it a pooled tip?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maryjaden said:

Thank you all for the information on the Haven.  We just upgraded to the Haven. Our first NCL cruise. We are sailing on the Bliss. We have sailed with RCL in suites for 30 years and we were happy with that until post covid..... A large group from our area is going so we thought we would give it a try. One question I have is that I have read there is a day butler and a night butler. Should I plan on tipping both or is it a pooled tip?

I’ve actually been on Bliss in a Haven aft suite. It’s my experience that you won’t even see (or meet) the late night butler unless you request after hours room service. We always tipped the night butler when he delivered requested late night snacks (hot wings, lobster when it was allowed, etc).   You will not see him/her on that last morning. Others may have a different experience.  

I am under the impression that the night butler is whomever is on call. I don’t think it’s a regularly assigned person. We tip the assigned day butler, steward and concierge on the last morning of our cruise, separately.  There are all kinds of opinions on how much each should be tipped. I tend to err on the side of over tipping. But, you decide what works best for you. 

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

I’ve actually been on Bliss in a Haven aft suite.

How did you find your Aft Suite experience (aside from the night butler)?   We’ll be doing the same in September.  TIA. 😀

11 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

We tip the assigned day butler, steward and concierge on the last morning of our cruise, separately.  There are all kinds of opinions on how much each should be tipped. I tend to err on the side of over tipping. But, you decide what works best for you. 

Regarding tipping - I always seek out the people I want to tip on the second to last day.  My thinking is that they are EXTREMELY busy on disembarkation morning, they can be difficult to locate, and they don't really have the time to hang around waiting for any gratuities that may be coming their way.  I know many others do the tipping on the last morning, but I'm one less cabin they need to worry about.  It's nice because the crew member has the luxury of spending a little time with you when you give the tip that day. It makes for a nice, relaxed visit.

Plus, I'm also extremely busy on disembarkation morning as well.

• Like 3

A question about bringing your own wine on board.  We usually bring a couple of bottles of Caymus with us.  On RCL, they would keep any opened bottles for us and have them the next evening.  Does NCL do the same?  Is there a limit on what you can bring on?  We do have the drink package.