Silver Spirits Package for one person only

mbtabby

29 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

None for most of us non- drinkers.

Yes, well it sounds like if we ever did Viking, it still might be worth doing the package, since it does cover things like juice for pity sake--gheesh. Oh, and the occasional non-alcoholic beer, if they had any decent ones. My husband would make up for it, ha ha.

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think this policy is deplorable, by the way, but I'm just wondering what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Silver Spirits package that are otherwise not free?  Does anyone know if they carry any NA beer or wines (non-alcoholic)?

Just what exactly is "deplorable"?  That a company chooses to make pricing decisions on their products that reflect their corporate vision?  Would you prefer that the per diem for every cruise just be raised by $20 to $50 per day to reflect an all-inclusive beverage policy?  What is so wrong in your view, and why?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just what exactly is "deplorable"?  That a company chooses to make pricing decisions on their products that reflect their corporate vision?  Would you prefer that the per diem for every cruise just be raised by $20 to $50 per day to reflect an all-inclusive beverage policy?  What is so wrong in your view, and why?

I thought what was being described as deplorable is that is that both passengers in a cabin have to purchase the package. I don't drink alcohol but my wife does enjoy wine. Might make sense for her to have the package but certainly does not for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

See below.

13 hours ago, Cadodge said:

I thought what was being described as deplorable is that is that both passengers in a cabin have to purchase the package. I don't drink alcohol but my wife does enjoy wine. Might make sense for her to have the package but certainly does not for me.

That ^^. (Thanks Cadodge, this is my situation as well.)

There's an implied lack of trust that I find kind of offensive.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

See below.

That ^^. (Thanks Cadodge, this is my situation as well.)

There's an implied lack of trust that I find kind of offensive.

I suspect it is more a matter of ease rather than lack of trust.  DH frequently orders me drinks when we cruise, and if I’m someplace before he is, I’ll order for him.  You now have to figure out not only which person in the cabin has the package, rather than both or neither.  I never thought it was a matter of trust……even though I am sure there are people who would do this.

11 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I suspect it is more a matter of ease rather than lack of trust.  DH frequently orders me drinks when we cruise, and if I’m someplace before he is, I’ll order for him.  You now have to figure out not only which person in the cabin has the package, rather than both or neither.  I never thought it was a matter of trust……even though I am sure there are people who would do this.

I understand that aspect, but it doesn't appear that way from the customer's point of view, does it? If Viking wants to do it that way for their own convenience, then they should alter the plans offered somehow to mitigate this or come up with a way of identifying those who have opted in.  As I said, I find it offensive.  On the other hand, I have no problem sailing on an all-inclusive line that provides alcohol gratis, despite the fact that I won't be drinking any of it.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Unfortunately human nature requires Viking and all other cruise lines to implement these policies for drinks packages. It is sad, but unfortunately true, but if only a single person could order the package the package would be abused by some.

In these situations, it places a burden on the crew to manage the situation, with very often hostile passengers. With Viking the probability is lower than mega ship cruise lines, but it is still a potential.

While I do feel sorry for all those affected, it is an other example where the majority are penalised for the actions of the minority.

Yes, I have actually witnessed these situations, where parents have ordered drinks for kids that are under the ship's legal drinking age. Some have resulted in Security being called.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, charlielinda said:

I hate this policy … Ive been sober for 33 years and a diabetic — so no juice or mocktails for me.  Guess my husband will be paying by the drink while the others get the packages.  Honestly seems a bit discriminatory to me.  Oh well … 

Viking prices their drinks reasonably, and some of us have found that we do not drink $20 in alcohol each day.  In fact, we are 4 days into a river cruise and our total bar tab is $4.  This is not because we are not drinking, but have found the wines at dinner on this cruise are pretty good.  
On our last 54 day ocean cruise, our bar tab was less than 50% of what the SS package cost was.  There were only a handful of days where both of us drank more than $20/day.  We were drinking premium wines at dinner too, not the free offerings.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 7:10 PM, Cadodge said:

It’s understandable why cruise lines do this. One could easily get a drink at one bar for themself and then go to another bar and get one for their significant other. The only cruise line that I’ve found that doesn’t have this policy is Princess. 

11 hours ago, duquephart said:

I wonder if some of those who purchase the package feel the need, even subconsciously, to get their moneys worth, leading them to drink more than they normally would.

Words of wisdom: Never get between a Silver Spirits customer and the bottle.  😀

2 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

It’s understandable why cruise lines do this. One could easily get a drink at one bar for themself and then go to another bar and get one for their significant other. The only cruise line that I’ve found that doesn’t have this policy is Princess. 

So "Viking treats it's customers like adults" ----- just not honest adults?

3 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Royal Caribbean will do it but you have to have a doctors note and buy a second non alcohol package.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, duquephart said:

I wonder if some of those who purchase the package feel the need, even subconsciously, to get their moneys worth, leading them to drink more than they normally would.

I doubt that very much, at least not the people I cruise with.  I choose mostly Regent or Paul Gauguin which have included alcohol of many kinds, and I don't even drink any more (which is why I chimed into this thread in the first place.)